Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ All in a Summer Night ❯ "The air out here is as thick as your head." ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-Yu Hakusho (And I sure as heck don't... yet.) there would be a lot more Genkai!!



"I can't believe it," said Yusuke drowsily as he lay upon the wooden front steps of Genkai's temple. Genkai stood patiently behind him, adjusting the purple sash on her black tunic. The humid summer air hung thick, suffocating him. The wood was cool on his back, but sweat soaked his brow. Cicadas chirped in the night and the stars glistened in the heavens beside the golden half moon.

"It's finally dark." He slipped a cigarette packet from his jean pocket.

"What are you doing?" asked Genkai with a hint of surprise.

"Lighting up," he said as he felt the breast pocket of his brown leather jacket for his lighter. She silently scoffed and stepped down next to him. Genkai snatched the cigarette pack from his hand and made her way back up the steps.

"Come back with that, hag!" he exclaimed, suddenly sitting up.

"I bet you snuck these right from under my nose, you little brat," she muttered as she slid open the wooden door and began to step inside, but lingered a bit longer. "The air out here is almost as thick as your head." Light poured out from inside the temple, and Genkai's shadow stretched past Yusuke. He sighed deeply and tried to get to his feet, but his legs wouldn't allow him. Genkai had sent him through extreme training for three weeks straight. He was no longer a child. Sometimes he wondered exactly what she expected of him. Just how strong was he supposed to be?

"You're thinking. What's wrong?" she asked with a smirk.

"I'm tired," he said, his eyelids drooping. "When can I go home? I've had enough."

"You can leave immediatley--" she began. He sighed again and stood, stretching. "After you finish a few chores." Yusuke groaned. "Don't come complaining to me, Yusuke. You chose to exist." She grinned.

"Did I?" he asked, not quite recollecting exactly when he was given a choice.

"It's not like you should feel any regret that you were born," she added with the familar grin. "You're still young. You have a lot to live for, don't you?"

"Tons," he said, returning the grin. "I'll make a list and bring it next week." She opened her mouth to speak, but reconsidered and began to slide the door shut.

"No breaks Yusuke," she said, losing her grin. "I'll let you go early tonight, but be back tomorrow, alright?" He nodded and she went inside and slid the door shut. He whistled on his way down the mountain. He found it easy to talk to his old master when things were quiet, and he prefered life that way, at least for the moment. Things were serene.





"Do I push you too hard, Yusuke?" asked Genkai. Or at least that was the question Yusuke wished she would ask. And he longed to answer. "Yes," he said back to the dream Genkai. He lay awake in bed, his muscels aching.

What did this power afford him? What did being a Spirit Detective even have to do with him? His old master told him again and again that his power granted him many great things, but what exactly were those things? He found her selfish for a moment, because his power had afforded her a moment of peace. Her old memories finally put to rest because of his power.

And what of his other friends? Did they also benefit from his new strength? Yusuke found himself growing angry. "Don't get angry. Don't get mad over nothing," he thought.

He rolled on his side and reached over for the clock at his bedside. With one sleepy attempt he missed and knocked it to the floor. "Darn," he whispered to himself. "I guess I won't be going to Genkai's tomorrow, what with the alarm being broken and all." He grinned and lay on his back once more, his vision blurring, and he finally drifted off to sleep.

He was greatly disheartened to hear the alarm ringing the next morning. It turned out he hadn't broken his clock. "It would have been the perfect excuse, too," he thought. With a final lazy yawn he readied himself for another difficult twelve hours.