Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Alone With Death ❯ Death Defying Request ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kurama stood outside of Koenma's office, whistling a small tune he had heard earlier on the radio on the way here.
 
“You may come in, Kurama.” Koenma shouted, the huge doors opening slowly.
 
Kurama shoved his hands into his pockets and stopped whistling, what could Koenma want with him? Why now?
 
“You wanted to see me, sir?” He asked, giving a small smile.
 
Koenma was currently in his teenage body, thumping his fingers on his desk slowly. He gave a deep sigh and glanced at Kurama, then back at his hand.
 
“I have a special job for you.” He whispered.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Though, I have to say, I really think you wouldn't come.”
 
“Why not, sir?”
 
Koenma was quiet for a long time, but a loud cough interrupted his pause.
 
“Who was that?” Kurama asked, glancing both ways yet seeing no one in sight.
 
“Someone in need…Of your help.” Koenma said, looking straight at his desk.
 
Kurama gasped, `Who could it be that needs my help so badly?' He thought.
 
He began counting on his fingers,
 
Hiei? No, he looked fine today. Yusuke? But I saw him at school, so he couldn't be in need, Kuwabara as well. Who in Heaven's name could need my help?”
The longer Koenma stood quiet, the more that Kurama wanted to know who he needed to assist.
 
“Tell me sir, I'm a bit anxious.” Kurama laughed. Anxious? He looked as if he were to die not knowing who this person was.
 
Koenma rose from his chair and walked to Kurama at his normal pace. He glared at him with no expression at all. Kurama stood smiling at him still, being the cheerful soul he was.
 
“You promise to accept this death-defying request?” Koenma asked, putting a hand on his shoulder.
 
“…Yes, sir…” Kurama said quietly, licking his lips and clenching his fist.
 
Koenma suddenly walks past Kurama and to the doorway. He gives Kurama a grin and tells his minions to open the gates.
 
“Wait! You never told me what the quest was!” Kurama shouted.
 
Koenma, still grinning, tilted his head and said, “Death is depending on you, Kurama. It is in the next room, to your right. Please, try to stay alive, man, stay alive.”
 
`Death is depending on me? How? And who is dying? Am I?'
 
Thoughts whirled through his head, making him just more dizzy and confused, but as he reached the door, a post-it was on the floor. He leaned to the ground, picked it up, and read:
 
“WE KNEW YOU WELL. GOOD LUCK, KURAMA.
 
LOVE,
 
Koenma.”
 
Kurama scratched his head, “What? Good luck for wha-”
 
He heard (what seemed to be) a high-pitched cry and loud groan coming from the door. It sounded as if someone was dying, and it also sounded familiar…
 
Botan!
 
Kurama twisted the knob and staggered into the room.
 
“Botan are you alright?!” Kurama yelled.
 
He gaped at what he saw.
 
There, in a small bed, was Botan. She looked horrible, horribly sick. She was sweating nervously, her eyes were red and puffy, her palms were trembling, her once beautiful blue hair was now frizzy and oily, and her nose was stuffed.
 
“Kurma?” Botan asked in a raspy voice, her teary eyes looking straight at him.
 
This was the mission with death?
 
“Oh, yeah,” Botan said, making a sniffing noise for every word she said, “Koenma told me to give you this letter.”
 
She handed him a black paper with sliver writing. He gave it a look and read it aloud,
 
Kurama,
 
I told you Death was depending on you! Botan is sick, and I have to hire someone to take her place. Everyone else is busy, so I counted on you!
 
Hope you two have a good time!
 
Koenma”
 
Kurama slapped his head so hard it left a mark.
 
“Of course! They tricked me into babysitting Botan!” He said, shaking his head.
 
Botan looked more than hurt, Kurama didn't know if she was crying or if it was just because she was sick.
 
“You know, Kurama, you could just leave.” She said, nearly coughing up a lung.
 
Kurama gave a deep sigh, smiled weakly as he looked into her watery eyes and said,
 
“It's going to be a long day…”