Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Barriers ❯ Intruders ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The night air was relatively cool. Shiki had left the room as the occupants began discussing strategy. It didn't really have much to do with her, she had decided, and she still needed more practice with her staff.
 
Thus, she had wound up sitting on the outside of the house, but still under the roof. She was practicing expanding and retracting the pipe, trying to master the flow of energy within herself. Contrary to her wishes, this seemed to grow more difficult with time rather than easier. Releasing a frustrated sigh, she opened her eyes.
 
“Having trouble?” The voice was soft, but alarmingly close. She started sharply, and turned to see her senpai sitting not three feet from her, facing the same direction. She was troubled that he'd been able to get that close without her being aware of it, and made a mental note to try and remain aware of her surroundings even when focusing on a single task.
 
He raised an eyebrow, and she realized his question had been several seconds without an answer. “Ah. Er…yes, actually,” she managed, looking down at the piece of metal in her hand.
 
“What seems to be the problem?”
 
She pursed her lips. “It… it's really hard to make it work. The energy just… I try to make it go someplace, and it doesn't want to. Or something.” She colored slightly. “It's probably the easiest thing in the world, but I don't think I'm suited to it,” she finished, feeling slightly ashamed.
 
Kurama shook his head. “Mastering oneself is crucial, but it is never easy. Might I make a suggestion?”
 
She looked up at him, meeting his eyes easily. “Of course.”
 
“Don't try to force it. Think about how you would react if someone tried to push you through a door with muscle alone. You would resist, would you not?” At her nod, he continued. “But if someone asked you to come in or gave you a good reason to do so, you probably would.”
 
She frowned, brows furrowing. “I'm supposed to talk to my inner self?” Her tone was skeptical. “How do I manage that one?”
 
“You already do so on a daily basis, I would imagine.” He waited as the expressions on her face shifted, and a small smile appeared on his face as he saw her realize the answer.
 
“Like meditation?”
 
He nodded slowly. “Precisely. Why don't you try it?”
 
“Okay.” She stood, moving out into the yard in front of them. He watched with mild curiosity as she settled into her stance. He had to admit, even he hadn't known that one of his classmates was spiritually aware. This was most unusual for him, and he wondered why there had been no previous sign of the spirit energy that now moved in subtle currents within her. She appeared to focus quite intently, brows knitting together and a small frown creasing her face.
 
She seemed to struggle for a few heartbeats, then remembered his words and smoothed out her features, relaxing. Just like that, the staff was enveloped in an indigo light, and extended a good five feet or so. She opened her eyes and stared at it for a few moments until a small smile alighted on her face. The sides of Kurama's mouth twitched as he stood.
 
“Thank you-“ She cut off abruptly, unsure of how to address him. He seemed to understand though, and waved a hand dismissively.
 
“Kurama is fine, but please still call me Shuichi at school,” he said.
 
Shiki was slightly confused; she had never actually called him either of these things, but if that's what he preferred… “Then thank you, Kurama-san.”
 
He nodded simply in response and headed inside.
 
****
 
Shiki hummed a little to herself as she scrubbed the last of the dishes from that evening's meal. While Genkai was displeased with her “servile” mannerisms, she did not seem to deny anyone who volunteered to do a few chores. Not that Shiki blamed her; having this many guests for dinner so often left many of them to do.
 
“Well, you certainly seem to be in good spirits today,” Botan commented cheerily, dumping a few more items into the sink.
 
“I am,” she replied. “I feel like I've finally turned a corner in my training.”
 
Botan sighed. “You really are quite like those boys. Always talking about training. You'd think it was all there is to life.”
 
Shiki shrugged noncommittally. What else was she supposed to discuss with Botan? School? She snorted with amusement at the thought. Now that would be an interesting conversation.
 
As Botan left, she redoubled her efforts on a particularly stubborn stew pot. Whatever had been in the bottom hadn't been stirred often enough, and was now a burnt mess. Shaking her head, she put some elbow grease into it, and was rewarded when the bottom rinsed spotlessly.
 
Her satisfaction was interrupted by a shriek from the living room. It sounded like Botan. Pulling her hands from the warm water, she reached for where the pipe was fastened to her waist. The idea had been Genkai's, though why the old woman wanted her carrying her weapon at all times had been a mystery.
 
Slowly and carefully she made her way down the hall. The door to the living room was cracked, so she flattened herself against the opposite wall and carefully peered inside.
 
The scene that met her eyes was strange indeed. A tall man with close-cropped blond hair was holding Botan aloft by the neck of her kimono. Although the others were all present, for some curious reason nobody was moving to help her. Instead, they all seemed to be frozen in place. Hiei's hand was on his sword hilt, and about three inches of the blade was already visible where he had started to draw. Genkai was crouched on the ground, looking as though she were about to launch an attack of some kind. The others were not visible.
 
Clearly, it would be a stupid idea to just run straight into whatever was immobilizing them. Shiki bit her lip. If she didn't find an alternative before long, she might have to anyway, before they hurt Botan. She stilled her racing mind and listened as a voice reached her ears.
 
“Where is she?” It asked calmly. The voice was a light tenor, and carried venom in its tone. Whoever the voice belonged to was also beyond her line of sight, meaning that there were at least two strangers in the room.
 
“Where is who?” Botan asked, her voice too high-pitched. She laughed nervously.
 
“Come now,” replied the voice. “We have your friends all tied up here. Surely you don't want to be responsible for anything that might…happen to them, do you?” The threat was an obvious one, and it seemed to work on Botan. She was opening her mouth to say something when Yusuke spoke.
 
“Don't tell `em anything Botan!” He seemed to be struggling to speak.
 
“Silence, fool, or the bonds will suffocate you all the faster.”
 
Suffocate? If they were being constricted somehow, then she had no time to waste. While she was sitting here thinking, they were all slowly dying!
 
She carefully focused her energy, just as Kurama had told her, and let it flow into her staff. As soon as it had activated, she slammed the door open and charged into the room, catching the big blond one on the side of his head, causing him to release Botan with a grunt. She followed up with a blow to the stomach and then one to his now-empty left arm, flowing through the sequence of movements Jii-chan had taught her.
 
The small room was not her friend, however, and though she seemed to have knocked out the blond man, the other, a black-haired man of medium build, was quick to rush her. He was too close to strike with her staff, so she tossed it aside and threw a punch. He was too fast, however, and easily dodged.
 
“Hm. Your spirit energy was too insignificant for me to notice you. Rest assured I will not make the same mistake again.” He followed this statement with an open-handed blow to the side of her head, which left her reeling. He then placed a hand around her neck and lifted her off the floor. She kicked at him, but to no avail.
 
He raised an eyebrow. “Pitiful. To think that it ended up with you.” With those words, he began to mutter in some language she didn't know, still holding her aloft. She was about ready to sink into unconsciousness when a searing pain in her chest forced her awake again. The bizarre chanting had stopped, and there was now a glowing light coming from his palm, which hovered inches above her heart.
 
Shiki tried to scream, but found that the pain was too great even for that. It felt as if she was being stabbed with a white-hot knife. At last it subsided into a dull ache and she barely registered that the man held a small black object in his hand. It was round, about the size of a golf ball, she supposed, with a strange mark upon its surface.
 
Smirking, the man released his hold on Shiki, sending her to the ground in a heap.
 
“And now, my invisible strands of fate shall strangle your precious friends. It will be fun to watch, don't you think?”
 
Shiki's mind was fogged, and her thoughts jumbled. Invisible? So why can I see them? This at least was true, there were threads running from under his clothes to the others, clearly holding them in place. Perhaps… I should cut them? No, I don't have a knife… She willed her mind to work faster, struggling against the blackness at the edge of her vision. I don't have a knife, but… someone has a sword. But who? Then it hit her. Hiei. Yes, he has one. But he's stuck. Maybe…
 
She reached to her side, ignoring her body's protests, and grabbed a handful of strings with her hands. Maybe if I just get him some slack. With all her might, she yanked the threads toward her, feeling them cut into her flesh. The man was jerked forward a few steps, and when she let go, there was indeed some slack in the lines. I hope he knows what I'm doing, she thought absently. But before she could find out, her body at last succumbed to its weakness, and she fell the rest of the way to the floor.
 
***************************************************************** ***********
Kiku's corner:
 
A couple things this time. First, thanks to all the reviewers. I really appreciate it.
Second, thanks again to Corri for being an awesome beta.
Third, to the person who suggested that Shiki be more spontaneous (sorry, your name is long and I forgot it. >.<), I understand where you are coming from, and hopefully she will get a chance to do so in future chapters, but that sort of thing really isn't in her personality at the moment. But she's an evolving person just like any of us, so maybe she'll learn.
 
Also, major apologies for being so long on the update. My computer died and the amazing IT people just managed to resurrect him today.
 
That's all for this time. I was going to make Hiei ask you to review again, but he seems to have disappeared. Hmm…