Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Belonging ❯ Chapter 1 ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Belonging by: Sakura

A/N *sigh* Man, I forgot. A lot of you don't know about Hikari. Since I don't feel like rewriting it or copy and pasting it, you'll just have to make do with this fic. Sorry, but I am an extremely lazy person…

~*~*~*~*~

After having lunch with her friends in the Ningenkai, Hikari thought that she should go look for Hiei. She had neglected to tell Yusuke about their talk of Yukina and of Hiei running off. Once farewells were taken care of, Hikari used her rei sense to scan for the fire youkai.

She smirked as she found his signature not being in the Ningenkai where it belonged. I'll bet he's in the Makai, she thought. Hikari stepped through the Makai portal and began her search for Hiei.

As expected, Hikari found him in her old hideout. She was quite surprised that Hiei remembered the exact location of the hideout; neither of them had been there for years.

o.O Flashback O.o

Hikari was being chased by a gang of thugs, one of which was young Hiei. They were chasing her because, apparently, she had stepped into their territory. When Hikari had finally had enough, she turned and faced her pursuers. Bright orange flames began to emit from her body and her eyes glowed red. Once her ki reached a certain limit, the flames shot forth killing all that stood in their way; Hiei had managed to dodge Hikari's attack. Hikari's eyes turned back to their original ruby color, but widened as she saw the half-dozen dead youkai lying at her feet.

When Hikari ran off, Hiei secretly followed the elder fire demon to her hideout. He found Hikari sitting with her knees to her chest. She turned to look up at him; she looked as though she had been crying. Hiei stared at her curiously, before turning to run off.

Occasionally, Hikari would see Hiei walk by her hideout. She'd smile, but he would never return her hospitality. Once when Hiei walked by, Hikari noticed a crystal gem around the boy's neck. She grabbed his arm, forcing him to sit beside her. Hikari introduced herself and begin telling Hiei of her past. Hiei, fascinated with someone that was abandoned much like him, also told Hikari of his early childhood, and the gem around his neck.

After that, Hiei neglected to talk with, or even look at Hikari. Hikari understood what Hiei was going through; because she had refused to tell anyone of that tragic day her family had left her. Then, once she told Hiei, her grief returned, and she wasn't in much of a talking mood either.

She began talking with Hiei again when she happened to find the young youkai unconscious after a battle. He was badly injured so, Hikari housed the demon until most of his strength returned. Hiei told Hikari that his fight had been with Yusuke Urameshi, Koenma's new detective. He also told her how he stole one of Enma's artifacts. He then told Hikari that Koenma had put him on parole, and made him team up with Yusuke. Hikari was told that a kitsune -a fox demon- by the name of Kurama was also on parole, and working with Yusuke.

o.O End Flashback O.o

Hiei was sitting with his knees to his chest, much like Hikari when they first met. He turned to look up at her; he looked somewhat tired. Hikari gave him a lopsided grin. "You have to go back, Hiei," Hikari said, her smile fading.

Hiei scowled. "What for? Everyone knows I'm not wanted."

"I'm sorry you feel that way, tomodachi." Hiei's eyes widened. Hikari hadn't called him that since they were little. "…But everyone's wanted somewhere. Maybe you think the Ningenkai is no place for a demon, which is true, but…" Hikari paused to let Hiei think about the rest.

"Then where do you belong?" Hikari opened her mouth to speak; Hiei had gotten her there.

"…" Hikari turned away. "Hiei, this isn't about me. You have a sister that's looking for you. She needs you…" Tears began forming in Hikari's eyes.

"Drop it. Just…drop it." The last part was whispered and slurred together. Hikari looked at Hiei, tears now streaming down her cheeks. Hiei didn't want anymore lectures as to why he needed to tell Yukina that he was her brother. He surely didn't want to hear it from Hikari. She was abandoned too, after all. She should be taking her own advise, Hiei thought.

Hikari wiped her tears. She stood up and held out her hand. "C'mon, Hiei."

~*~*~*~*~

"Well, we're here," Hikari said ushering Hiei out of the Makai portal. "Don't worry; you're close to Genkai's. Now go!" Hiei turned around, but Hikari had already closed the portal, and was no longer in the Ningenkai. He sighed as he began his walk to Genkai's.

Once Hiei had successfully made his way back to Genkai's, everyone rushed out to greet him, or ask him questions about where he had been. He slid down the side of a tree, exhausted. He closed his eyes for a moment, and when he opened them, there was Yukina right in front of him, a warm smile on her face.

"Are you tired, Hiei? `Cause if you are, I can make you some food and a bed."

Hiei gave his sister a small smile. "Thanks, I'd like that."

~*~*~*~*~

A/N Phew, finally! I was running out of midis to listen to. Well, that was Belonging. I know I promised about four of you that I'd write a Hikari fic, and I'll get started on that soon! I just had to write this first! I'm actually pretty proud of this fic; it turned out great! Review and tell me what you think of it! Oh, I almost forgot! Tomodachi means friend in Japanese.

Happy New Year's!