Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Demonic Circus ❯ Chuu Surrenders ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TITLE: Demonic Circus
DATE STARTED: January 17, 2006
DATE COMPLETED: January 19, 2006
RATING: T
PAIRINGS: Some Kurama/Hiei and Jin/Touya. Barely noticeable unless you look.
 
DISCLAIMER: Yu Yu Hakusho? Not mine. Never will be.
 
~*~
 
“Suuichi, has he visited you yet?” Sasuke wondered, sitting next to the red head, his head lying against his new friend's arm.
 
“No. You've been the only one to come see me, besides that grandfather of yours. He only comes by to see if you are here.” Kurama said quietly, watching the three demons sleep in the cages across from him.
 
“You have friends now, so you won't be alone.”
 
“I thought you were my friend?”
 
“If you would let me. I like it here…” he snuggled closer to the fox. “The world is so cold out there.”
 
Kurama looked down at the boy. “Have you ever lived in the human world? It can be very peaceful.”
 
“No. I wouldn't be able to live there. I have trouble controlling my power, remember? They would make sure they found out how that happened. I've seen how they treat those different from them. We are just freaks, and so they terrorize us because they cannot understand us.”
 
“I'm sure if you had the proper teacher, you'd be fine.”
 
“A teacher usually has the same type of power as you. Mine is rare.”
 
“Hiei would be able to teach you some calming techniques, and I can get some scents together that could help with meditation. We may not be able to help control your actual power, but we can help control your emotions.”
 
“That would be nice.” He yawned.
 
“Tired?”
 
Sasuke laughed quietly. “Your friends put up quite the fight. My sister had to come save me.”
 
“Maybe that is a sign that not everyone will be as gullible as I was.”
 
“But our meeting was by accident. You have such a short term memory, Suuichi.”
 
“You know who I really am, so why do you insist on calling me that?”
 
“Because that is what you asked me to call you, silly.”
 
“Hm, you are right, I suppose.”
 
“Hey, where's that dumb kid?!” Rinku's voice broke through the once silent room.
 
Sasuke shook his head. “Go back to sleep. It's late.”
 
“Come over here and say that brat! Chuu is gunna kick your ass for this!”
 
Sasuke sighed and pulled away from the kitsune's arm, staring into the darkness. “Suuichi is trying to sleep! Shut up!”
 
“Why you--!”
 
“Boys, boys!” The bald head of Ring Leader came into view.
 
Sasuke immediately sought refuge in the red head's arms. He tried his best to stop shaking, but the sight of the Ring Leader's twisted smirk, and dark eyes made him afraid, and fear was something he didn't want the man to see. It seemed to make him more animal when Sasuke showed any sign of fear or anger, and he didn't want to go through another night of submission and weakness. Kurama would protect him. As long as he held up his end of the bargain, the fox would be his `guardian angel' , as he put it.
 
“Sasuke, you've done well! Four demons in two days. Impressive. But you must be tired. Perhaps I can take you to your room.”
 
“I…I'm on guard duty, tonight, sir.” He replied quietly. “Kijo is taking care of Grandfather.”
 
“I wouldn't worry about that. They aren't going anywhere. I designed those holding cells myself.”
 
“I—I'd rather not.”
 
“Boy, you get out of there—“
 
“I believe he said no, Ring Leader…” Kurama interrupted, tightening his embrace.
 
“Youko, you have no say in the matter.” Snarled Ring Leader, stepping close to the confinement.
 
“Well, seeing as the only one I've seen able to come in and out of these things is Sasuke, and how he doesn't want to leave, I really don't see how you have a choice.”
 
“Kurama, quit being stupid! That kid put you in there. Why would you defend him?!” Touya growled, kicking the wall of his hold.
 
“I have my reasons Touya.” He replied simply, keeping his emerald eyes on his current opponent.
 
“Sasuke, you and Kijo are to report to me by tomorrow night on your progress.”
 
Sasuke nodded slowly.
 
“And I'll be adding more wards to those cells while you're out. You shouldn't be sleeping with the animals.” Ring Leader grinned, flashing darkened teeth.
 
Sasuke flinched and buried his face in Kurama's shirt.
 
“And I'm sure you will be ready to speak when you're away from your little friend. Remember Youko, I'm the one that caught you. You have no power here. I am the master. You just live here until I decide your usefulness has come to an end. I have my ways of persuasion. Good night, all of you.” He waved and left the room, a heavy door closing.
 
“It's all right now. He's gone.” Kurama said soothingly, rubbing circles on his back.
 
“I don't want to go…” He cried. He had broken down when he heard the footsteps move towards the door.
 
“Then don't.”
 
“But if I don't do something, Suzuka won't be able to help Grandfather!”
 
“Well, that's something you have to choose. Yourself and your well-being, or your dieing grandfather who might die despite all your efforts to save him.”
 
“But he's all I got…” he whimpered.
 
“You don't like big decisions, do you? You can't hide here forever. Eventually, you will have to leave, and I won't be able to protect you. You have to make the decision.”
 
“What should I do?”
 
“What you want. Run away, fight, whatever you think you can do. You live like this because you let it. It may sound harsh, but you have to learn to fend for yourself. No one will be able to help you in the end. Besides, how can you help your grandfather if you can't help yourself?”
 
Sasuke nodded and pulled back. “You're right. Once, this is over…would you help me and Kijo assimilate into the Ningenkai?”
 
“Of course. Now just continue on with our plan, all right?”
 
Sasuke grinned and nodded. “Next up, Chuu!”
 
~*~
 
Chuu groaned, tossing his jacket onto the couch and his car keys onto the coffee table, and moving into the dining room with the mail. He shuffled through it quietly, tossing away the junk mail and sorting the rest by name. A game magazine for Rinku, Jin's weekly sample, ShiShi's sword book (supposedly he was learning about different swords), Suzuka's daily check, and Touya's newspaper (it was one of those city ones sent through the mail).
 
With nothing appealing in the mail, he turned to the dark kitchen at large. Usually, Touya and Rinku would be sitting at the table, working on his homework, while Jin was half in the fridge looking for something to eat. ShiShi usually didn't come down until he called through the house that supper was ready and Suzuka stayed in his lab in the basement.
 
He could hear ShiShi's swears upstairs, and Suzuka's tedious work coming from the open basement door, but the other three…none of them were ever late. Touya made sure he was home before six, so that he could help Rinku, but neither was there. They were all together today, so it didn't make much sense. The fieldtrip was to end by two today.
 
Chuu grit his teeth. If they were off, playing around, he would have their heads. Oh, he would make sure they never did it again. He wasn't quite sure why, but he had taken on the head role, especially since when no one did, the house almost blew up, and they were all a mess. Koenma made sure to rip them new assholes and he still hung it over their heads.
 
Now, everything was organized, and that was one of the rules. Be home before Chuu or call and let him know. He moved to the fridge, pulling out a beer and popping the cap before moving over to the phone to see if there were any messages. Not a one. He took a swig from the bottle and looked around for a note. Not even a cryptic one! What the hell were they doing?!
 
If he didn't care about the beer in his hand, he would have shattered the bottle, but as all alcohol was precious to him, he kept his temper in check and started dinner. That always brought Jin home, and he would drag Touya and Rinku back if he had to. He never missed a meal.
 
Like he predicted, ShiShi and Suzuka came to the table the instant it was done. He swore that they had dinner timers in their heads that let them know the exact second that he was finished with preparations. He slammed their plates down in front of them, still annoyed that Jin, Touya and Rinku hadn't shown up yet.
 
“Chuu, don't blow a blood vessel. I'm sure they're just blowing off curfew for some time alone.” Suzuka reasoned, spooning some curry into his mouth, without thinking of the repercussions.
 
In Chuu's obvious infuriation, he didn't bother to consider the lighter tastes of Touya and Suzuka, and made it a bit too spicy. He spit it out and stuck his head under the sink, Chuu grinning evilly and ShiShi trying his best to repress his laugh.
 
“You shouldn't be mad at me!” He hissed, crossing his eyes to try and stare at his still burning tongue.
 
“I'm not. You just happened to be in the middle.” He chortled, dodging a fist aimed at his head.
 
“Just eat. You could stand for some toughening up. You're a wimp.” ShiShi said, still smirking at his friend's recent dilemma.
 
Suzuka shot the samurai a glare before pushing his meal towards the sword fighter and moving towards the fridge for something less damaging to his taste buds.
 
“You won't find anything Jin hasn't picked at. He's been weird in his tastes. Has to try everything when he goes in there before he picks something.” Chuu said. That's how it was with him, and he usually went back to the first thing he tried! He probably did it so no one else would eat anything in there and he would have meals planned for every second he was hungry. That was Jin though and he was always hungry. Luckily Chuu kept food hidden away so they had things that weren't tainted by Jin.
 
“Then where's the stash?”
 
“You were supposed to keep it this week!” ShiShi pushed up from his seat, nearly knocking over his seat.
 
Suzuka turned around, his expression stony. “No…”
 
“You can't be serious! You didn't get it?!”
 
“I think I still have some things left. You can go up and check.” Chuu sighed. If he didn't, they wouldn't eat. Suzuka and ShiShi always forgot when it came to their turns, so he always stepped up, making sure something was hidden away.
 
Suzuka raced upstairs at the rumble of his stomach, coming back down with a bag of hard candy.
 
“That's your dinner?”
 
He shrugged and returned to his work in the basement after retrieving his mail from the box next to the counter. Chuu sighed and ate quickly, washing his dish and placing it with the breakfast dishes from that morning. “How was that lead this morning?”
 
“Got me twenty-seven grand (1). Not much, but it'll do. You and Suzuka seem to be making the most though. From what I heard, cooks don't do well.”
 
“I do other things as well. I get good tips and I go out after work to cook a meal for richer people. I don't get why you're butting in me business anyway.” He said harshly, moving from the kitchen and going up to his room. Jin, Touya and Rinku? All missing dinner? This didn't make much sense; they knew the significance of coming home before dark.
 
If they were caught out late, Reikai could withdraw the release. They had a curfew for a reason, and Koenma promised they wouldn't get away with breaking it, and that deadline was closing in. He glanced at the clock, 7:30. They had an hour and a half to get back before they got in trouble. Not to mention, Rinku had class in the morning. He couldn't help but wonder what kept them out so late?
 
 
Why should he worry? He felt he held responsibility for not only Rinku, but the others as well. They were helpless on their own, without an `older brother' to push them around. Once he filled that role, everything fell into place, and they wouldn't (or at least he wouldn't) trade it for anything.
 
“You miss them?” Chuu bolted up to the sound of the young voice that entered his ears. It wasn't Rinku, but he wished it was.
 
“Who the hell are you?”
 
“I am Sasuke. Your friends are safe. I've come to take you to them.” Sasuke smiled warmly.
 
“Who the hell do you think you are?! What did you do?”
 
“Please, I do not know how much longer they will be safe. We must hurry. Please come.” Sasuke said, urgency in his voice.
 
“What's going on?”
 
“Ring Leader is coming! Allow me to capture you, so I can report my progress. I will set you with that imp, Rinku.”
 
Chuu's hand reached out and grabbed the boy's neck tightly. “Who are you, and you better be truthful, brat. You've got three seconds.”
 
“My name is Sasuke, and Suuichi sent me here for you!” He choked out, hands reaching up and pulling on Chuu's hand in vain.
 
“The fox?” Chuu released his grip.
 
“They need help.” Sasuke coughed, rubbing his throat. “Suuichi says he has a plan, but needs you in order to work it.”
 
“This ain't some kind of trick?”
 
“No, I never lie. Will you come? Ring Leader only needs one more before he can begin his show. That's when we strike, but I need your cooperation.”
 
Chuu looked into the sad blue eyes before hesitantly nodding. Somehow, just like he knew with Rinku, he knew the boy wasn't lying and that this wasn't a trap by someone else who was either pissed they had gotten Reikai's deal, or another enemy of Reikai looking to sharpen their claws on them before moving to Urameshi.
 
“Then we'll need this.” The familiar cage that his sister had made formed around the tall demon, and Sasuke began concentrating on his voluntary catch and sent him to all the others.
 
~*~

Sorry this is shorter than the others. And it isn't really that active. It's just here to be an extension and connect everything. Just a little filler.
 
This is yen, which I can't seem to find that symbol in my database, otherwise it would be in numbers.
 
Reviews!
Bara-Minamino-Thanks for the review. The font was bothering you, eh? Well, how's this one? Hope it looks better than the last one. Maybe the bold or something?
 
Kahuffstix-Three for three! Thanks a lot. And if you reviewed on MMO (like you have the last two times), I didn't get it, but that's all right. You don't have to do both! Thank you for them though!^^
 
Nyte Kit-I hoped my characters didn't overshadow the others too much! ^^; I have done that in the past. Glad they work out good! I've been thinking about where it will go and I think there might be a few twists yet to come, but even I don't know yet! We'll all find out soon though! Thanks for reviewing!
 
If you have any ideas feel free to let me know! Thanks!