Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Different In Body and Mind ❯ Meeting Koaru ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Different In Body and Mind

By Koritsune Dragonrider

Hi y'all! It's me again and my scaly assistant Hikari!

Hikari: Hi.

Now we got a really interesting fic for you. This fic has one thing different. It has a dedication. It is dedicated to all the children in the mental homes and to my little brother for giving me the idea.* pulls in brown haired boy youko with gold eyes* He always gives me ideas such as these and I wanted to thank him. Now on with the fic!!

Summery: Kurama goes to a mental home for children. There he meets Koaru and an adventure into the mind of a mentally ill child begins.

Warnings: Yoai. K/H pairing. Maybe a little lime in the beginning. Is it a lime?

Disclaimers: I don't own the Yu Yu characters but I do own the ones you don't know.

Rating: PG for yoai

Different In Body and Mind

Part 1- Meeting Koaru

Kurama woke to the alarm. Looking at the clock he saw that it was 6:00. Right on time.

"Turn that damn thing off, fox," growled a voice next to him. Kurama turned off the alarm and kissed Hiei's Jagan.

"Morning, love."

Hiei yawned and opened his ruby red eyes at his fox. Even after months together Hiei still couldn't believe that Kurama was now his. At first Hiei had been scared to approach the fox, afraid of rejection. How could he know that they shared the same feelings?

Kurama sat on the bed and, lifting his arms high, stretched. Hiei wrapped his arms around Kurama and kissed the curve in his back making Kurama moan.

"Not now, love. I need to get to school."

Hiei started to lick his back.

"Stop it, Hiei," he said turning around and giving the Koorime a kiss. "I don't have time for this game."

Ever since they got together Hiei played a game with Kurama each school morning to see if he can get the youko to miss school. It never worked.

"Damn," he growled lying on Kurama's pillow. (KD: note Kurama's pillow!) Taking a deep breathe he smelled his fox's rosy scent. "I almost had you."

"But not quite."

Kurama walked into the bathroom and took a quick shower. He came out with a towel around his waist, another drying his hair. His tear gem from Hiei around his neck. He put on his school uniform, sat on the bed and laid back, head on Hiei's lap.

"I'm going to be late coming home today."

"Why?"

"I'm going to a children's mental home."

"A what?"

"It's like a hospital but for people when something is wrong with their mind or body."

"Hn, then the idiot should go to one."

"Hiei," Kurama sat and looked at his little lover. "That's not very nice."

"Whoever said I was nice?"

Kurama smiled and kissed him. Hiei wrapped his arms around Kurama's neck and gave a burst of energy to dry his fox's hair.

Kurama was deepening the kiss when a voice called, "Shuichi! Shuichi are you up?"

Kurama pulled away and called "Yes, mother. I'll be down in a minute."

"Okay!"

"Stupid human woman," growled Hiei.

"Hiei," Kurama hit him (gently) on the head. "She is my mother!"

"I know. That's way I haven't killed her yet."

"Thanks I think."

Hiei smiled. "I'll see you outside," he said and gave Kurama a kiss. Getting dressed he went out the window. Kurama went down stairs and greeted Shiori.

"Morning, Shuichi. Today's the big day, ne? Going to the children's home?"

"Yes, Mother, I am and I must go to school now."

"Okay, have a good day, dear!"

"Bye, Mother."

Putting on his shoes and grabbing his book bag he left and was barely a block from home when Hiei joined him. They didn't say anything on the way, just basked in each other's company.

They reached the school ten minutes early. They jumped in a tree and sat out of sight. Hiei laid his head on Kurama's shoulder and Kurama put a hand on his waist breathing in Hiei's forestry smell.

"What are you going to do while I'm in school?"

"Train in the park or run around like always."

The bell rang. Kurama gave Hiei a quick kiss and jumped down. Grabbing his bag he looked back up the tree at Hiei.

I love you.

Me too.

Kurama smiled and walked in Hiei waited till Kurama was safely in and left. He ran to their glen and took off his scarf and cloak. Taking out his katana he threw the sheathe with the rest of his stuff and practiced his kata.

Kurama headed onto the bus and sat by the window with a classmate named Kenji.

"Are you scared meeting these kids," Kenji asked him.

"A little."

"They're so different."

"Being different doesn't mean anything." Just look at me. I'm a centuries old spirit fox living in a human body in love with a Koorime half breed. Who also happens to be a guy too. Yup, I say that's different.

Kenji didn't said any more on the subject, but he did fall asleep. Kurama looked out the window. He watched the city go by letting his mind wonder and wasn't surprised to see two familiar figures roaming the streets; Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Kuwabara's three friends, Okubo, Kirishima, and Sawamura.

Probably looking for a good fight, he thought.

A half hour later the bus arrived at the mental home near the park. Walking in he was amazed at what he saw. Toys littered small areas of the room, laughter, talk, screams and music filled the air. All around them were children with about fifteen adults.

The class was waiting by the door when a woman with brown hair walked up.

"Hello, my name is Megumi and I will be your guide and helper during your stay here. Now you each will be assigned to a child and your are to interact and care for the boy or girl you are assigned now to your assigned children."

She started to assign each class member to a child and told each child's condition. Kenji got assigned to a boy who was paralyzed from the waist down in a boating accident. Kurama went to meet him before his name was called.

"Hello, what's your name," he asked.

"My name is Shuichi," said the boy. (KD: I'm sorry. I just love that name!)

"Really? That's my name too and my stepbrother's. Shuichi Minamino."

"Must be real confusing at your house?"

"Not really. My friends call me Kurama to tell us apart."

"Why do they call you that?"

"It's my… favorite mountain. (KD: There is a mountain called "Kurama") Next to favorite any way but that name's taken."

"What's your first favorite?"

"Hiei, (And one called "Hiei") but that one's taken by my ….uh, best friend."

"Can I call you Kurama?"

"Sure!"

"Shuichi Minamino," said Megumi. "Follow me."

Kurama followed her to the far end of the room. In the corner was a piano and sitting there a girl with black hair and brown eyes. She was playing Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. She didn't look up when the approached.

"Hello Koaru," said Megumi, bent down with her hands on her knees. "How are you today? I've brought a friend to play with you. His name is Shuichi Minamino. Would you like to play with him?"

The girl kept on playing. She didn't even look at them, like she was deaf to the world.

Kurama got a good look at her through the light of the window. Her hair had a tinge of red and she had a nice complexion. She would be beautiful when she grew up. She had a slender build and was wearing a white blouse and blue jeans. Her ebony red hair was plaited.

"Her name is Koaru," said Megumi turning back to Kurama. "Don't be surprise if she doesn't respond to you when you talk. She's autistic. She can't see or hear you. She will sometime respond to routine words, breakfast, lunch, dinner. The only time we know if she's happy or sad is if she plays the piano. She's a really good pianist and singer. I'll go and assign the rest of your group now. Have fun you two."

Kurama sat down beside Koaru and listened to her play. Soon she finished the symphony and stopped playing. Kurama waited for her to start playing again but after a few minutes she didn't. Kurama at first was confused. Was she sad, shy scared? Then he figured it out. Somehow she sensed his presence and played the song as a greeting. And he was supposed to greet her back.

Placing his hands on the keys he played the first song that came to him, Chopsticks. Doing the intro Koaru started to play along. Kenji, Shu-chan and some other students and kids came and listened. After the song Kurama stopped playing and listened to her play, sometimes singing along. She would sing with him. She truly had a beautiful voice, perfectly in tune. A sweet soprano.

Megumi came over a little later and suggested that they draw some pictures. Kurama was drawing Hiei and him together when Koaru put down her crayons. Kurama looked at her.

"Can I look at your picture please, Koaru."

Koaru was silent. He carefully picked up the picture. It was him and Koaru at the piano. It wasn't very good but it was descriptive.

"It' a beautiful picture, Koaru. You should be proud."

Somehow he felt joy and gratitude from her. She was happy and thankful that he liked the picture. How did he know that?