Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Doomsday Picnic ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Doomsday Picnic

By Rose Thorne

Disclaimer: The usual.

Don't mind me. I stayed up until 4AM watching Fushigi Yugi episodes and Poltergeist Report and talking to Thayet. Then, I got up at 6AM for some stupid reason and haven't been to bed since. I also got no sleep any other nights for reasons unknown to me. I haven't lost my mind...it ran away from me!! And what time is it? It's dark outside; that's all I know. I am really, really, really sleepy...*gulp, gulp, gulp, gulp* Okay...I'm better now!! Coffee, my only vice...well...um...that and Japanese animation...

Author's note: E-mail me at rosethorne@yyhmail.com and tell me how you like this fic.

Chapter 5

Around 4AM, Kurama had woken up Yuusuke for second watch. Then he had fallen asleep on a futon near Hiei's. Many hours later, the redhead sat up, and rubbed his eyes. Kuwabara was sitting across the room.

After stretching, Kurama stood. "What time is it?" He asked the orange-haired boy.

"Somewhere around two." the latter answered. Kurama was shocked. He hadn't meant to sleep that long. Kuwabara continued. "Shizaru went home. Yuusuke is taking Keiko home. Genkai and Yukina are making some soup. Koenma, Boton, and Hinigeshi went back to the Reikai to check on things. They'll be back later." Kurama nodded, then walked to where Hiei lay. Kuwabara spoke up again. "The jerk still hasn't woken up."

Kurama hid a small smile. Kuwabara had actually sounded worried, though he had tried to cover it up under harsh words. "Why don't you go help Genkai and Yukina?"

Kuwabara looked very taken to the idea, especially since it involved him being near Yukina. "Okay. I'll come and tell you when the soup is ready."

The redheaded half-youko glanced at him. "About how long do you think it will take."

The ningen scratched his head. "I think about an hour or so."

Kurama nodded as the orange-haired boy left, then turned to look at Hiei. His lover was still asleep. Kurama reached out with his ki, and found that the fire demon had regained some energy, but not much. Kurama frowned and gave some of his energy to the little youkai.

* * *
Hiei awoke to the feeling of someone nearby, and tensed. "Hiei..?" It was Kurama. The fire demon relaxed and tried to open his eyes, but immediately closed them as he was blinded by a too-bright light and shivered. He heard movement, and felt Kurama leave. He moaned as a wave of coldness washed over him.
* * *
Kurama started as Hiei tensed. "Hiei..?" The youkai relaxed and opened his eyes briefly, but immediately closed them. Kurama frowned as he watched his lover start to shake from cold. He rose, walked to the window, and pulled down the shade to keep out the sun. He hurried back to Hiei as the fire demon groaned and gathered him in his arms. "Hiei, I've got you." The redhead smiled thankfully as his lover's eyes opened. "You okay?" he asked gently. Hiei opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out. He shivered again, and Kurama held him closer. "I'll get you something to drink." He wrapped Hiei in more blankets and left the room.

Yukina was walking toward the room with a tray. She smiled as she saw Kurama. "Kurama-san! I fixed some food for you." She handed the tray to him.

Kurama returned her smile. "Thank you. Do you think you could get something for Hiei too. He finally woke up." His heart went out to her as she smiled, nodded, and ran back to the kitchen. Moments later, she reappeared with a thermos and a bottle of water. He smiled at her. "Arigato, Yukina-san." She smiled innocently and left.

He returned to the room and knelt beside Hiei. "Hiei?" The youkai's eyes opened slowly. Kurama propped him up on a couple of pillows, then held the water bottle to his lover's lips. Hiei drank thirstily, until the redhead pulled the bottle from him. Kurama then opened the thermos and let him drink some of the soup that Yukina had filled it with. The fire demon drank most of it, then turned away. Kurama set the thermos back on the tray, then smiled as Hiei's breathing grew deeper with sleep.

Sighing softly, he sat back and ate the rest of the food on the tray.