Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Doomsday Picnic ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Doomsday Picnic

By Rose Thorne

~Standard Disclaimers Apply!!~

Chapter 7

Yukina, Keiko, Midzuho, and Shizuru were hanging around in the temple kitchen. Yukina was preparing lunch.

Keiko sighed. "I hope the boys get done with this mission soon."

Shizuru nodded. "Hiei's been looking a bit pale. If the mission doesn't end soon, he may get sick."

Keiko shook her head. "From what Yuusuke's told me, he might be killed. This Hintoshu guy wants him dead for some reason..."

Yukina frowned. "That horrible youkai! Why is he trying to kill Hiei-san?"

Shizuru shrugged, lighting a cigarette. "From what I could figure out, they're old enemies. Hiei was challenged by Hintoshu and he beat him. Badly. I guess this guy holds a pretty big grudge. He's too big a coward to fight Hiei outright. Sends other people to do his dirty work."

Midzuho frowned darkly. "That's why I'm here. He used my family against me..."

There was an uncomfortable silence for a while that was finally broken by Keiko. "I hope they beat him."

Yukina frowned. "I hope they kill him." The other girls stared at the Koorime. She looked away. "He's almost killed Hiei-san three times now!"

Shizuru sighed. "I don't think they'll be able to stop Hintoshu without killing him."

"I'm going to bring Hiei-san something to eat," Yukina whispered.

Shizuru nodded. "We might as well serve the boys. I'll take something to my stupid brother."

Midzuho smiled softly. "I'll take something to Master Genkai."

Keiko moaned. "Yuusuke always eats sooo much!"

Yukina smiled. "I'll take something to Kurama-kun too. I think he's with Hiei-san anyway."

Shizuru nodded, hiding a smile and pulling out a pack of cigarettes. "Probably." The four girls fixed baskets of food and went their separate ways.

* * *

Yukina found Hiei and Kurama on the porch. The Koorime noticed that Hiei was paler than usual. He also had very dark circles under his eyes, evidence of the exhaustion he was trying to hide. He's always so strong... Yukina sat down near them. "I brought you some food."

Hiei glanced at her. "Thanks," he muttered gruffly.

Kurama smiled at the Koorime. "Arigato, Yukina-chan."

Yukina handed Hiei a large bowl of rice. The fire demon took it, but didn't eat. Kurama started on his own bowl immediately.

Yukina looked at Hiei with concern. "Aren't you hungry, Hiei-san?" The fire demon only shrugged. Yukina frowned unhappily and looked away.

Kurama glared at Hiei behind the girl's back. The fire demon relented and ate a bit. Yukina brightened up considerably and poured tea for herself and her friends. She noticed with relief that Hiei was a bit less pallid than he had been. The fire demon remained silent, lost in his thoughts.

Yukina cleared her throat. "Why is that demon attacking us?" she finally asked, unable to contain her curiosity.

Hiei nearly choked on his tea; Kurama did. The fire demon stared at his sister for a while before responding. "Doesn't like me," he murmured finally.

"Why not?"

Hiei sighed, knowing that he couldn't deny an explanation to his sister. "A long time ago, he wanted me to join his stupid gang. I refused, so he challenged me. I beat him, and the gang disbanded. So he wants revenge."

"Why doesn't he challenge you to a battle?" Yukina asked softly.

Hiei scowled. "Damn coward knows he's lose!"

Yukina was silent for a moment. "What are you going to do?" she asked quietly.

The fire demon stared at her for a moment, then looked away. "I don't know," he said honestly.

Yukina smiled weakly. "Well, I hope you think of something..."

Kurama watched the Koorime leave, then turned to Hiei. "We're going to have to find Hintoshu. It's the only way."

Hiei glared at the fox. "Do you know how many followers he has?!"

Kurama grabbed Hiei's hand and caressed it lightly with his thumb. "Koibito, we work better in an outright battle. We can't allow them to continue these guerilla tactics or we will lose!" We'll lose you, itooshi!

Hiei frowned. "I know," he muttered. "That bastard's up to something. I just wish I knew what it was..."

Kurama sighed. "Well, worrying about it won't do us any good." The fox indicated the half-finished bowl of rice. "And not eating won't help either. Finish that."

Hiei was too tired to argue. Putting the now-empty bowl down, the Jaganshi leaned back against the post, formulating mental battle plans. His eyelids grew heavy and he slipped off into a deep, much-needed sleep.

The redhead frowned as Hiei fell asleep. Ever since the attack at Kurama's apartment, the fire demon had been getting tired easier.

Yuusuke suddenly hurried up, seemingly appearing from nowhere. The ningen opened his mouth to say something, but closed it considerately as he saw the sleeping fire demon. He bent toward Kurama. "We need to attack Hintoshu soon. Koenma's messenger demons found his hideout."

Kurama shrugged, rising. He gently picked up Hiei, who didn't even stir, and entered the temple. The fox placed Hiei on a futon and tucked the fire demon in, then turned and headed out the door again.

Yuusuke sat on the porch and waited for Kurama to speak. Finally the fox sighed. "We'll attack when Hiei's recovered."

"What?! We can't-"

Kurama interrupted the ningen. "This is Hiei's battle. He would never forgive us." The fox's eyes flashed dangerously as he defended his injured lover. "And don't you dare mention anything about it to him until he's recovered," Kurama hissed. "He feels bad enough about putting everyone in danger without us running off and possibly getting killed over something that's his business."

Yuusuke leaned away from the youko. "Hey, I understand. We'll wait."

"Good." The ningen watched as Kurama entered the room where Hiei was sleeping, sliding the door shut behind him.

Yuusuke sighed. Kurama had been getting very protective of Hiei for a long time, even before Hintoshu had showed his ugly mug.

The ningen thought about it for a while, coming up with only one conclusion. He shook his head. Hiei just wasn't the type...

Or was he? Both Hiei and Kurama were youkai, and most youkai were bisexual. Some, most notably the Koorime, were homosexual. Hiei's half Koorime, and Kurama's half kitsune, Yuusuke realized suddenly. It all fit.

The ningen grinned, shaking his head at the fact that he had not noticed before, wondering to himself how long their relationship had been going on under his nose. He made a mental note to ask Kurama when Hiei wasn't around.

Unlike most other people, Yuusuke had no problem with homosexuality. In fact, he'd gone with his mother to a few of her parties and had discovered that some of her friends lived that lifestyle and, contrary to common ningen belief, they weren't psychotic freaks. They were actually quite normal, except for the fact that they slept with people of their own sex. Which is perfectly normal by Makai standards, Yuusuke knew.

However, in the Ningenkai, homosexuality was looked down upon. And Kurama was doing his best to be human. Yuusuke had to respect him for making such a difficult decision. Besides, Hiei's attitude had been getting better in the last few months. Yuusuke figured that it was Kurama's doing.

Yuusuke was violently shaken from his thoughts as something hard hit him in the back of his head.

Keiko stood behind him, red with anger. "Yuusuke no bak-" she began, her voice very loud.

Yuusuke put his hand over her mouth quickly, shutting her up. "Hiei's asleep in there," he whispered before she could react, indicating the door. "If you wanna yell at me about something, we'll have to move." He removed his hand and led her away to a short distance. "Go on. Yell away."

Keiko blinked at him, then offered him a basket. "It got cold while I was looking for you," she said softly.

Yuusuke grinned gratefully. "I'm so hungry I don't care. I could even eat your cooking," he added smartly.

The girl whacked him halfheartedly as he tore into the food. "How is Hiei doing, anyway?"

Yuusuke shrugged. "He was asleep when I went to talk to him and Kurama. Good thing too. Earlier he looked like a feather woulda knocked him out." Yuusuke took another bite of food, chewing thoughtfully. "Kurama said to put off any attack until Hiei can fight. I agree."

Keiko stared at him. "What?! Why? Shouldn't we get rid of that...that monster?!"

Yuusuke shook his head. "Keiko, having Hiei is a tactical advantage. He knows how Hintoshu thinks."

The girl nodded. "How long..?"

The black-haired boy sighed. "With Hiei, it's hard to tell. He hates to rely on anyone, and I understand his feelings. The only person he really trusts is Kurama. He respects me and knows that I consider him a friend, but he doesn't trust me. And Kuwabara is...kinda a friendly rival. The only person who would know how badly weakened he is would be Kurama. And he's not going to tell anyone," the ningen added as Keiko stood.

"Why not?!" Keiko asked angrily.

"Hiei would see it as a violation of his trust."

"Nani?" Keiko frowned. "Just for telling us how he is?"

Yuusuke shook his head again. "For giving us information that could give us a potential advantage over him." The girl blinked, not understanding. Try explaining Makai morals to a ningen... Yuusuke elaborated cautiously. "Hiei comes from a different world; much different from the Ningenkai. He's had to fight for survival for nearly his entire life. Pretty much since the day he was born. That's the reason he's so powerful." Yuusuke frowned. "He's so powerful that I dread ever fighting him as an enemy."

Keiko nodded, sighing softly. "So he's like you? An..." She paused, searching for the term. "An S-class?"

Yuusuke nodded with a small grin, then ate the rest of his food piggishly. He was relieved when Keiko's expression changed from curiosity to supreme annoyance. Good, the half-ningen thought. Keiko had been getting too nosy for her own good.

The girl stamped her foot irately. "Yuusuke!" she shrieked. "Why do you always have to eat like a pig?! I swear-"

She stood speechless as Yuusuke disappeared. Then his voice rang out from the ground beneath her. "Really, Keiko, Barbie underwear? I thought you were too old for that-"

The girl screamed in rage, and Yuusuke tore across the temple grounds with her right behind him.

*grins* Well, I finally turned out another chapter! Finally! And I know what to do with the rest of the fic! Wai! Wai! *frowns* Now I have to actually write it...