Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Enter Ceridwen ❯ Reuniting With Amara Torrin ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Five months later Ceridwen stepped off the plane and called a taxi. She could have run but she made a resolution to never use her natural powers again. Especially after what she had just done with them. There was no way she had a soul. She couldn't, not with how cruel she had been. She was nothing more and nothing less than a heartless monster.

The cab pulled up and she got in it. As it took her to London she stared out the window and everything flashed before her eyes. Ceridwen had killed the Perils as she had vowed but the way she had done it! She buried her head in her hands. The sight of their mutilated bodies were all she could see when she closed her eyes. They were all she could think about.

Both girls had pleaded for her mercy and had even offered her a position as a third Peril. The girl who had filled the position previously had been killed by Scythe a year earlier. Ceridwen had tortured them both for a month and fed them only enough to sustain their lives.

Their names had been Kit and Arnica. She had pulled Kit from her cell and ripped the skin from her body slowly with her telepathy. Arnica had watched in horror as Ceridwen finally blasted Kit with her spirit energy, finally killing her.

The body of kit was still intact but the skin was like a throw rug and one of Kit's eyes was rolling around on the floor. Arnica had screamed and cried for hours until Ceridwen decided to kill her too. First she made Arnica sew Kit's skin back on the body and pop the eye back in. Then she made her dispose of the body, write two letters. One was a confessional letter and the other was a note claiming suicide. Ceridwen took her breast dagger made Arnica hold it and then used her telepathy to force her to stab herself. She took a similar dagger and placed it in the dead girl's hands, using her telekinesis to gently press each finger on the handle.

The scream Arnica had uttered as the dagger penetrated her heart filled her memory and made her wince. The whole scene looked like a homicidal maniac committed suicide and the cops would buy it so easily.

Finally the cab pulled to a stop outside a house. After paying Ceridwen walked up to the door and knocked. A woman of her late thirties answered the door and looked back at her. She had long silky red hair and piercing gray eyes, not unlike Ceridwen's own eyes. After eleven years she was finally face to face with her mother.

One week ago while she had been in America she received a phone call at her hotel. This woman had told her things that only a parent could know. Such as where her birthmark was, and what powers she might posses, she had gotten three right. Then she had given Ceridwen the address and after saving enough money Ceridwen flew back to London and then called a Taxi to take her here to meet her mother.

"You look just like your father," her mother told her and stepped aside to let her in. Ceridwen set her bags down and her mother said, "You're probably thirsty after your trip, can I get you anything?"

"A glass of ice water would be nice, thanks."

"No problem," her mother said and went to get the water. Ceridwen sat on the sofa and looked around her mother's house. It looked perfectly normal but something was here. Ceridwen didn't need to use her tracking skills to know that an inhuman presence was in the house. Her mother returned and Ceridwen sipped some of the water. Her mother said, "Tell me everything you remember leading up to this point in your life." She sat down on a chair a few feet away and stared intently at her daughter.

"I'm warning you now that my life is pretty screwed up."

"Well so was my life but don't worry, I won't judge you."

Ceridwen took a deep breath. "Well I can't remember before age five. I was wandering around the streets of London when a kind stranger asked me where my parents were. I didn't know so he asked my name. When I didn't know that either he took me to an orphanage and told them that I had no memory other than a few basic facts like my age and birthday. The caretaker said, 'Second one today.' She led me to a playroom and told me to stay there.

"A boy came up to me and asked my name. I told him I didn't know what it was and he said that he didn't know his either. We smiled and started to play with some building blocks. After a few minutes he suggested we name each other. I thought about it for a few minutes and told him that he was Bane. He then told me that I was Ceridwen but he shortened it to Ceri, and he also told me that only he could call me that.

"We were joined at the hip from that moment on and even insisted on sharing a room. On top of that we refused to let the caretakers name us and kept the names we had given each other. One year soon passed and we remained the best of friends. When we were six was when the Lai organization got involved with our lives.

"Three people came to the orphanage one day. One was a tall blond lady and the other were men. One with brown hair and another who had odd blue hair and a moving tail. They were supposedly selecting 'gifted' children for their 'school.' Bane and I walked up to him and started to ask him questions about where he got the tail and was his hair really blue. Instead of answering us he grinned at the blond haired lady. The caretaker told us to hush and stop lying that there was a man standing there. We tried to get support from the other children but they said that they didn't see him.

"The blond lady asked us to describe the man with the tail and we did. After we had finished she grinned and said that she would be back to see us very soon. Each week for a month the lady returned again with the brown haired man and two strangers who were cloaked so we couldn't see them. The man and woman separated Bane and I and then asked us questions about the people we saw. We answered and they looked pleased. Both Bane and I received different people I guess to make sure we told the truth. After the fourth time she announced that she would be taking us to her 'school.' The next day we packed and left the orphanage forever.

"At the school we were entered into a program called Lai Preparation Course. Only about fifty kids in all were there and they ranged from age five to nine. They explained to us how Demons were real and how as we grew older we would maintain close contact with them. After a few days the weak were weeded out and sent away. At the end of the week we were given a series of tests. The tests were supposed to see if we had any special abilities.

"Bane took the test one day before me. They concluded that he had several extraordinary powers. He could hover a few inches off the ground, manipulate objects to make them small or large, and could hear things very far away from him. After my test they concluded that I had telepathy, telekinesis, and I had super speed. We grew and our powers grew with us. Not only did the ones we had develop further but also we began to receive more powers.

"At age nine Bane could fly. Shrink objects as large as a medium sized house and enlarge them too, he also could hear things a mile away. I could manipulate people's thoughts and memories, make them move however I wished and even summon objects to me, also I could outrun anything and everything. On top of that Bane and I could also summon spirit energy and use it if we wanted to.

"At age ten I could use astral projection, have premonitions, and my tears could heal anything alive or dead as long as the tissue hadn't been dead for more than ten minutes. Bane had mastered shape shifting and had sonar like a bat. After out tenth birthdays we were given lectures by our teachers and got to chose what branch of the Lai organization we wanted to go into. To do this we had to choose two of four new courses. We could learn technology, learn tracking, learn fighting skills, or learn how to train future Lai students. This program was called Lai Dominancy. Bane and I both chose tracking and fighting. In other words we were being trained for fieldwork called Penetration and Retrieval. We had to pass these courses to graduate from Lai.

"During the training we both gained a few more powers. We could both turn into shadow and had exceptional strength. We learned many different styles of fighting and martial arts over four years. We also learned to track down essences and trails no matter how complex they were. After the four years Bane and I successfully graduated and were teamed up then placed in the field. It was our job to bring in humans and Demons plotting against Lai, trying to take over, or killing excessively. It was our responsibility to try to keep humans from realizing Demons were real because then there would be war and exploitation. There were Demons, humans, and enchanters in the Lai organization and all worked to keep the worlds apart for now.

"Our last assignment had been to penetrate an organization of Demons, enchanters and humans called Scythe. Scythe was a kind of anti Lai organization. Bane had been the mole and was sent in seven months ago. However after two weeks he was discovered. The enchanter placed a mind control spell on him and he was forced to do their bidding. A group of enchanters called the Perils fought Scythe, killed the human working in Scythe but also killed Bane thinking he was involved. I then bowed to kill the last two members of Scythe and the Perils. I did. And each one that I killed died somewhat painfully and one was brutally mutilated. That's why I had been in America and not here in London. So there you are mother. Demons are real and your daughter is a cold-blooded killer. Bet you always hoped I'd turn out this way huh?"

Her mother smiled at her. "Actually you are better off than I'd imagined. If you hadn't done most of these things than what I am going to say would probably shock you when I explained everything."

Ceridwen raised an eyebrow and said, "What do you mean?"

"Well first I would like to tell you you're birth name. While I feel that Ceridwen is a beautiful name, your father and I named you Amara. Your full name is Amara Selena Torrin. Your father was an enchanter and so am I. I specialize in electricity and he specialized in water."

Ceridwen stared at her mother, "So I am..."

"An enchanter. Just one step away from being a Demon but there you are. The only real difference between enchanters and Demons is that our powers are passed down and we always look human although granted we can look scary when we do powerful enchantments or get extremely mad. I know that when your father was killed the sky was black in London for five days. With all enchanters the weather is in tune with out emotions. Powerful enchanters can control any element and the whether if they practice long enough. I first sensed you one night six months ago when a raging storm took over the city. I tried to use wind to pull you here but you were stronger than I thought."

"So the wind pulling at me was you?"

"Yes. I felt your anger and could relate. I went on a revenge trip myself after your father's murder."

"So it runs in the family?"

"Yes it does. Never get the women in our family mad or else over a hundred-mile radius will feel it. My little trip was part of the reason I lost you. One moment I was trying to get information out of a Demon and the next you were gone. My family has a seal on it that makes any child before the ago of ten who gets lost forget everything but their age and birthday up to that point. When reunited with kindred the spell can be lifted. The incantation is this. Though she was lost and found she is safely home again. Let her memory be unbound, let her be her again!"

All the memories flooded back to Ceridwen... Or rather Amara. She knew it was all true. She could remember her father's death and her mother's rage. Then she remembered getting pulled away in the crowd. Soon after she had been blocks away from her mother and told herself she was lost. It was then that she had lost her memory. "Mother," she said and embraced her mom.

"I looked for you sweetie but I couldn't find you. Well now I have you back. When I look at you Amara I see your father but you have my eyes. They are a family trademark and always seem to show up as early as birth." Amara's mother stroked her hair and kissed her forehead.

"Mother what powers do you have?"

"Well I have telekinesis, astral projection, and super speed. It was your father, who had telepathy, premonitions, could turn into shadow, and had healing tears. What's your spirit energy like?"

"It is purple but like lightning."

"The color of your father but my texture."

She smiled and hugged her mother tighter. Amara had been found and she was staying here. Her mother had already set up a room. They went shopping the next day when Amara met someone. His name was Peter Sanford. He asked her out and she said yes. Two months later he proposed and she accepted. Her life was getting on track. Lai tried to make contact with her but she sent in her tools and her identification. Along with that was a letter of silence and resignation. She was free from that mess forever.