Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Falling Apart ❯ Dark Choices ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~~I don't own YU YU Hakusho, just this story~~
Read and Review~~


Hiei watched the fox pace back and forth, his long arms crossed over his chest. Kurama wasn't doing well trapped in his demon form. Too much of the Youko's personality was rubbing off on him, and Kurama was worried. He was worried that he would forget his mother. He was worried about reverting back to the ruthless kitsune he had been before a mother's love had taught him the beauty of life.

And he was running out of hope. Already a week had passed with Kurama still unable to change back to his human form. It as looking as if it would take a year and possibly even longer before he regained the ability to transform.

Why had Hiei bothered to stay with him? The fox could take care of himself well enough that it wasn't truly necessary for Hiei to stay with him. He hadn't needed Hiei to protect him before. The ruthless thief had always been a loner, one who had no need of anyone.

But he wasn't just the ruthless thief anymore, Hiei thought, frowning slightly. Kurama had changed greatly. He was vulnerable now that feelings traced his every thought and action. But why did Hiei care?

Hiei would never admit it, but he had somehow allowed the fox to enter his heart. The fox's carefree, gentle nature had broken past his barriers. Hiei had a friend, his first and only friend. No matter what it cost him, he would take care of the kitsune.

"Hiei, it's going to take a year or more, isn't it?" Kurama asked suddenly, spinning around to stare up at Hiei as he leaned back on the tree limb.

"Possibly. I warned you that it might take a while."

"I know. I just….I…. Hiei, I feel trapped in a prison. I feel as if I'm being smothered."

"Is it really that bad? That is your natural form."

"Hiei, I'm not just Youko anymore. I'm part Shuichi. I don't even think like I used to. My entire soul has been altered."

Hiei leapt down from the tree and faced Kurama. The silver Youko seemed made of ice, so much like Hiei's birthplace. Ice had nearly destroyed him with its utter menace. The Kurama he had come to know did not fit the untouchable Youko before him.

"I may be able to help you, Kurama."

Kurama's golden eyes widened as he asked "How?"

"Don't be so eager, fox. Everything has a price."

"Tell me, Hiei," Kurama demanded, sounding more and more like the silver Youko he had once been.

Hiei glanced away for a moment before saying, "There is an item that can change you back to your half demon form."

"What item? I have never heard of anything with that kind of power."

"Because it is not commonly known. The Dagger of Truth is very hard to find. No one has ever succeeded."

"How do you know about it?" Kurama asked.

"I have heard stories about it. The thieves that I was with for many years occasionally sought to find this dagger. The ones they sent out never returned."

"How do you know that it actually exists?"

"Kurama, I came very close to getting it. I was so close I could see it."

"What happened?"

"I failed. I was nearly killed. The traps set up around it are amazing. I couldn't find them all. I think you would be able to break through. You have a lot of experience in
dealing with traps," Hiei said.

"You said that it holds a price. What, Hiei?"

Hiei looked back at Kurama. Would Kurama really go for it once he
found out the truth about the dagger?

"It will tear you apart, Kurama. You will be broken in two. Youko will be freed and you will resume your half human form. Kurama will become two again."

"But….wait, I am Youko," Kurama protested.

"No, you are not. You are a split soul of a human and a demon. You will go back to being half demon and Youko, the true demon, will be set free."

"Why would I not be just human?" Kurama asked, his face paling.

"Because you can use your demon powers in your half human form. You would not lose those abilities."

"I…would never be able to change back into Youko. I would be just….me," Kurama leaned against a tree, eyes closing.

"It is your choice, just beware of the consequences. If you remain Youko now I doubt that you will be able to maintain your human emotions and feelings. If you want to change back you will have to give up Youko forever."

Kurama stared at Hiei. What was he supposed to do? Hiei was right. He was running out of options.