Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Flux ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Flux

by Rose Thorne

A Star Trek: Voyager/YYH crossover

~STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY~

Chapter 4
Janeway and the doctor watched the two boys speak to each other. Evidently, Kurama was informing the smaller one of their situation, because Hiei looked disbelieving.

The captain turned toward the doctor. "They're a long way from home, just like us. And they're going our way. They should come with us. They may end up being helpful. I'm going to have the guest quarters made up for them." She tapped her communicator. "Mr. Neelix?"

The Talaxian's voice replied a few moments later. "Yes, Captain?"

"Mr. Neelix, we have two guests who will be staying on board for a while. Could you please make up the guest quarters for them. Make it seem...more homely."

"Yes, Captain...May I ask...What species?"

Janeway smiled. "Human."

Neelix replied immediately. "Right away, Captain."

Janeway looked back towards her two guests. Hiei's facial expression had changed very slightly, Janeway noted. He had a strange, almost regretful look on his face. The boy spoke, and his words evidently shocked Kurama, for the redhead knelt down and hugged his friend. After a few seconds, the taller boy picked Hiei up and laid him back on the examination table.

He fell asleep?! Strange. "Doctor, let's go." Janeway and the doctor stepped out of the doctor's office. The captain turned the translator back on. "Is your friend okay?"

Kurama smiled wanly. "He's a bit tired. His Jagan uses a lot of energy, and he used it too much."

Janeway smiled at him. "We're preparing rooms for the two of you."

Kurama looked uncomfortable. "Thank you. I would prefer to stay with Hiei until he's rested. I don't know what kind of side effects might show up later."

The captain nodded understandingly. "Of course." She tapped her communicator. "Mr. Neelix, only one room will be needed."

Kurama started as Neelix's voice responded. "Yes, Captain. It's almost ready."

"How long, Mr. Neelix?"

"Oh, give me...ten minutes, Captain."

"Good. Come to Sickbay when you're finished. Janeway out." She turned to Kurama. "Mr. Neelix will show you your room. If you'd like, I can get you a tour of the ship."

Kurama shook his head. "Not right now." He glanced at Hiei. "He'll be hungry when he wakes up."

Janeway nodded. "You must be hungry as well."

Kurama smiled. "No. Besides, I promised him pizza. I can't back out on that."

"All of the guest rooms have replicators. Ask Mr. Neelix to tell you how to operate them."

"Thank you." Kurama smiled at the kind ningen. Then he sighed. "And, just so you know, Hiei's a bit rude to people he doesn't know. It's his nature. Please don't hold it against him if things are a bit rocky the first few days." Or weeks... "I'll try to make him behave, but it's not an easy task." Especially when he's this upset... "Also, could you possibly give me his sword. He doesn't like to go without it in strange places."

Janeway nodded. "I understand perfectly." She left for a second and returned with the katana. The captain watched as Kurama clipped it to his friend's belt. "A lot of us were very temperamental when we were first lost in the Delta Quadrant."

Kurama's head snapped up. "What?! You're lost?!"

"We've been travelling toward Earth for four years. It will take a few more years to get home."

The boy looked shocked. "I didn't know..." Hiei is not going to take this well...

"I'm sorry, Kurama. You two are lucky you found us at all. The Federation usually isn't out this far."

"The Federation?" Kurama looked confused.

Janeway smiled weakly. They missed that... "All of Earth is united into a Federation. We are also allied with other planets."

Kurama was silent for a moment. "No more petty wars..." he mumbled. "Humans have matured."

Janeway glanced at him. "Yes." She wanted to ask him to elaborate on that cryptic comment, but the door slid open to admit Neelix before she could.

"Hello, Captain." Janeway handed him another translator, and he attached it to his collar. Neelix turned to Kurama, holding out his hand. "I'm Neelix? Who might you be?"

The boy smiled, not even fazed by Neelix's alien appearance, which surprised Janeway even more. "Kurama," he said, shaking the Talaxian's hand. Then he pointed to his sleeping friend. "That's Hiei."

Neelix smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you...I suppose I'll have to meet your friend later." The Talaxian indicated the door. "Shall we?"

Kurama smiled and nodded, then picked up Hiei, holding the smaller boy so his head fell on the redhead's neck. "Of course." Neelix led the way out the door. Kurama followed. He noticed blandly as they moved down a corridor that the decor was the same everywhere.

Neelix stopped at a door and pressed a button. After a few moments, the door whooshed open, revealing a very small room behind it.

Kurama glanced at the short man. "What is this?"

Neelix smiled. "It's a turbolift."

Kurama blinked, then shook his head. "Turbolift? What's that?"

The Talaxian frowned slightly. "Well...erm...it takes us throughout the ship...up to the Bridge...or down to the Mess Hall..." He smiled weakly. "I don't exactly know how to describe it."

"Like an elevator," Kurama said softly.

Neelix blinked. "That would be a good term for it." The Talaxian stepped into the turbolift. Kurama stepped in after him. The man turned off the translator and said something, and the 'turbolift' began to go up.

After a few seconds, the 'lift stopped, and the door opened with a 'whoosh.' Neelix stepped out and walked down the hall. Kurama followed him. "Where are we going?" the redhead asked.

Neelix glanced at him, then turned back on his translator. "Sorry. I forgot to turn it back on! What'd you say?"

Kurama smiled. "Where are we going."

Neelix smiled. "To your quarters. The captain said something about you rooming with your friend."

Kurama nodded. "Hiei doesn't like strange places. He usually sleeps outside if we travel, but he can't exactly do that here."

Neelix chuckled. "I understand. What did you two do back on Earth?"

Kurama was silent for a moment. "We were detectives," he finally answered.

"Detectives? Wow! What kind of cases did you work on?"

Damn. I knew he'd ask that... Kurama shrugged. "It's hard to explain."

Neelix glanced at him, grinning. "Ah, classified. I understand." Kurama nodded. The Talaxian stopped at a door. "Say your name into the speaker. It'll record your voiceprint. Your friend will have to do that later too."

The redhead looked at the speaker for a moment, then leaned his head closer. "Kurama." He jumped back as the speaker repeated it back at him, then said something in English. The door slid open, and Neelix led the way in.

The room was gray as well. It held a large bed, and a few couches, along with a couple computers built into the walls. Neelix smiled at Kurama. "What do you think?"

Kurama smiled weakly. "It's nice..."

"But you miss home," the Talaxian finished. He sighed. "I know the feeling. I'll help you redecorate later, if you'd like."

Kurama shook his head. "No. It's fine." He walked to the bed and set Hiei down, removing his coat, boots, and katana and placing them near the bed. He tucked the fire demon under the covers. Not that he'll get cold... He turned back to Neelix. "Thank you. Please tell your captain...Janeway...thank you as well."

Neelix nodded. "Did you want me to show you how to work the replicator, and the sonic shower?"

Kurama blinked. I forgot all about that. "Yes," he replied.

It took a while for Neelix to explain exactly how the replicator, sonic shower, and other things worked, but Kurama finally got it. Neelix finally left, promising to tell Janeway that Kurama was grateful for their help.

Finally! Kurama thought, slipping under the covers next to Hiei. He was asleep in no time.

* * *

Yuusuke hurried up the steps to the temple. Man, there are about a million of these! the ningen groaned to himself, his legs aching. Finally he reached the top. Now to find Yukina. He walked around the temple grounds, quickly finding Yukina in the garden. She was crying. Yuusuke ran over. "Yukina-chan? What's wrong."

Yukina gasped, then looked away. "Yuusuke-san...It's my oniisan. I have...had a link with him, but now it's gone. I think he's died!"

Yuusuke's gut twisted. "I know, Yukina-chan."

Yukina's head snapped up. "N-nani?! You know about my brother."

Yuusuke looked away. "We're not sure if he's dead or not...Koenma said he was sent into space and through time. Him and Kurama."

"You know who my brother is?" Yukina gasped. Yuusuke nodded. "Onegai! Tell me!"

K'so... Yuusuke looked at her. "It's Hiei."

Yukina flinched. "N-nani? B-but he never said that he was! He was supposed to find my oniisan for me!" A tear slipped down her cheek. "He must have hated me for being weak!"

"No!" Yuusuke flinched. "He...he thought you would be disappointed with him."

Yukina's head snapped back. "But...why would I be disappointed with him? I always hoped that my brother would be just like him, because he's always so nice to me! I would never be disappointed in him..." She shook her head. "What happened to oniisan and Kurama?"

Yuusuke looked away. "We don't know. We don't even know where they are, let alone when...We may never find them."

Yukina started to cry again. "Then my oniisan really is gone! And I never got to tell him...how much I loved him!"

Yuusuke hugged the Koorime awkwardly. "I think he knew, Yukina-chan. I'm sure he knew." Hiei's link to her must be gone too. I hope he's not taking it too hard...

*sigh* Finally! Another chapter done! I had a hard time establishing residency for Kurama and Hiei on Voyager. Anyone know what level Voyager's guest quarters are on? Anyhoo...Now to write the next chapter... *sigh*