Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Fornever Tantei ❯ A Brick Wall ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: This is the sequel to Between Death and Reality. While it isn't required that you read that first, some things referenced here may not make a whole lot of sense.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho. I am not making any money from writing this. I do, however, own my plotline.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Chapter 4
 
A Brick Wall
 
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Mukuro stood in front of the assembled group of demons, Hiei next to her. There was a casual air about everyone's stance. Their mission would be a quick one. Nothing to worry about. That was why Mukuro worried. The easiest missions were often the ones that went wrong. She looked at Hiei at her side and then at Kurama, who stood next to Touya. Those two were experts at what they did. No, nothing could go wrong as long as they were there.
 
“Good luck,” she said finally. “Be quick, but be careful, and bring your friends home.”
 
“Of course,” Kurama said simply. Somehow, those two simply words from the fox gave her some comfort.
 
“I'll be back soon,” Hiei said. “I don't even know why I'm bothering.”
 
“So you can see your sister,” Mukuro said quietly. Hiei shrugged noncommittally. “And because they're your friends.” Another shrug. Oh yes, she was right.
 
“Soon,” Hiei repeated and Mukuro nodded. Hiei nodded in return and walked over to Kurama.
 
“Let's go then,” the red-head said. The other four demons nodded and they filed out of the room. Kurama was last and flashed Mukuro a quick smile before exiting. Oh yes, the fox was good. But yet, something felt off to the former ruler.
 
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
It was a deserted area where they stepped into Human World. Koenma had specifically made the portal in that spot for Kurama and Hiei's use, and Yusuke's as well, though the ex-Spirit Detective had yet to check it out.
 
“How far are we from Genkai's?” Hiei asked, studying the forest around them.
 
“About an hour's good run,” Kurama replied.
 
“Then lead on,” Touya said. “We're right behind you.” Kurama nodded and immediately took off running. The other five followed suit, though Hiei easily caught up and kept with the red-head.
 
“You know you didn't have to come, Hiei,” Kurama said after awhile. Hiei looked over at his friend.
 
“Oh?”
 
“It would have been a simple matter of bringing Chuu and Rinku back to the portal,” the fox replied.
 
“You could have done it on your own?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Tell them that,” Hiei said, gesturing back at the four following demons with his head. Kurama glanced back and saw the determination in all their faces.
 
“Point taken,” he conceded.
 
“Hn.” The two fell back into a companionable silence as they ran.
 
“How much farther, Kurama?” Suzuka called after about an hour.
 
“Just a few minutes,” Kurama called back. The temple steps are just on the other side of the hill ahead.”
 
“Gettin' tired, Suzuka?” Jin asked, tone teasing.
 
“You wish!” Suzuka replied. “The rest of you just don't make beautiful scenery for this long.” Several snorts of laughter were heard at this.
 
“Well, you've got some new scenery now,” Kurama said stopping. “Temple steps.”
 
“We made it,” Shishi said with a smile. Kurama smiled in return.
 
“Yes.”
 
The group scaled the steps at a much slower pace than they had used to get to the temple. Finally getting to the top, Kurama and Hiei pushed the wooden doors open to reveal an empty courtyard. The group filed inside and after a moment a door slid open and Genkai stepped out. She blinked at the assembled group.
 
“What is this about?” she asked.
 
“Did you see the news last night?” Kurama asked without preamble. Genkai frowned.
 
“No. I rarely watch the news. Why?”
 
“Have you been getting more guests lately, asking about demons?” Kurama asked, changing the subject. Once more, Genkai blinked.
 
“Yes.”
 
“That's why we're here,” the red-head said. “Are Chuu and Rinku here?”
 
“Yes, they're with Yukina,” the psychic replied. “Why?”
 
“They need to return to Demon World.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Last night on the news, there were demons being subdued and captured by humans,” Kurama explained. “Any demons in Human World right now are in danger.”
 
“They should be safe here,” Genkai countered. “No one bother with coming this far into nature.”
 
“I think they will,” Kurama replied. “Your reputation extends to the Human World as well and you know it. Soon or later they'll remember who you are and come here.” Genkai frowned in thought.
 
“Good point. Perhaps, for now, Yukina should leave as well.” Kurama shrugged, glancing straight at Hiei. The fire demon remained stoic. Genkai disappeared into the temple and a few minutes later reappeared with the three demons at her back.
 
“Ripper. You all really are here,” Chuu said at the sight of the group.
 
“So we really need to go back already?” Rinku asked with a slight pout in his voice.
 
“Yes,” Kurama said. “This is serious.”
 
“We understand,” Yukina said. “Though I don't know if I could leave Genkai alone.” Genkai waved the concern off.
 
“It's no big deal. And it's not permanent, anyway. I'd rather you were safe in Demon World than in danger here with me.”
 
“You can return as soon as the danger passes,” Kurama agreed. Yukina searched the red-head's handsome face.

”How long until then?”
 
“I have no idea,” Kurama replied honestly. “But Hiei can have a place made for you wih Mukuro.”
 
Fox, Hiei threatened mentally.
 
You know you would, Kurama retorted, unbothered by the warning tone.
 
Watch it, Hiei muttered. Kurama 3, Hiei 1.
 
“You'd do that for me?” Yukina asked in surprise.
 
“Yes,” Hiei replied. Yukina smiled.
 
“Great.”
 
“Then back to the portal, Bludgers!” Chuu said.
 
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
The trip though the woods took considerably longer the second time around, because the group was slowed to a walk with Yukina in their midst. However, they weren't feeling pressed for time. Genkai's property was several hours by car to the nearest city and it was unlikely anyone would have taken a special interest in her yet.
 
While they walked, Kurama filled the newcomers in on the current situation, thus clarifying why they needed to return to Demon World.
 
“What about you, Kurama?” Yukina asked when he had finished. Kurama looked over at the koorime.
 
“What?”
 
“Won't you be in danger by staying as well?” Yukina clarified. Kurama smiled slightly at the concern in her voice.
 
“I think I'll be alright for now,” he told her. “I don't exactly look demonic in this form. Besides, Human World is my home now. I have my family here. I couldn't just leave them.”
 
Not what you would have said once, a small voice in the back of his mind said.
 
True, another part retorted, but times have changed. I've changed.
 
“Besides, Yusuke and Kuwabara are here as well. I'd hate to leave Keiko and Shizuru's fate in their hands if anything should happen,” he continued jokingly. The rest of the group, excluding Hiei, laughed, though the smirk playing at the corners of his lips told Kurama that Hiei had appreciated the jest as well.
 
“I forgot about Kazuma!” Yukina said suddenly. “I won't be able to see him if I go.” Kurama smiled reassuringly.
 
“Either Yusuke or I could easily accompany him to Demon World for a visit.”
 
“You'd do that?” Kurama laughed easily.
 
“Of course.” Yukina grinned happily at this.
 
Kurama, Hiei's voice rang through his head. The fox blinked slightly, then mentally sighed.
 
They love each other and you know it, Hiei.
 
Hn.
 
Besides, Yukina could do a lot worse than Kuwabara. He has a strong sense of honor and will take good care of her, Kurama continued.
 
I still don't like it.
 
But you'll have to accept it.
 
Hn. Kurama smirked slightly and looked out of the corner of his eye at the fire demon walking next to him. No matter how protective he was of Yukina, Hiei knew Kuwabara was a good mate for his sister. He just hated to admit it.
 
The hike through the wilderness continued for several hours. The sun was passing the zenith when they stopped on the other side of a small waterfall that fed a pond in a clearing. Yukina smiled fondly at the falls.
 
“It's beautiful,” she said.
 
“Yes,” Kurama agreed.
 
“What will you do, Kurama” Touya asked.
 
“I'll return home… for now. Hiei will be your guide to Mukuro's on the other side,” he replied.
 
“And you're sure you'll be alright?” Yukina asked. Kurama nodded to the group.
 
“Fine. I'll bring news when I can.”
 
“Alrigh'. Well, it's been fun, Genkai,” Chuu said. “But it's time we go.”
 
“Yeah, it was great,” Rinku added. Genkai waved fondly.
 
“I expect you back when this all ends,” she said. A chorus of “Sure” came from the six fighters.
 
“Yukina,” Hiei said, gesturing toward the falls. The koorime nodded, but turned to Genkai first. She hugged the psychic.
 
“I'll miss you,” she said.
 
“Just be safe,” Genkai replied. “You'll be back soon.” Yukina nodded and followed Hiei though the small falls. The others waved and followed suit. A moment passed before a crackling sound was heard and Hiei was suddenly thrown backwards through the falls into the pond.
 
“Hiei!” Kurama exclaimed, rushing to aid his friend. The only wound Hiei had suffered, however, was to his pride. Kurama helped he shorter demon to his feet. As he did so, the other seven came back through the falls.
 
“What happened?” Genkai asked.
 
“It's sealed,” Hiei growled.
 
“What?”
 
“The portal back to Demon World is sealed off,” Hiei repeated.
 
“None of us can get through,” Yukina confirmed. Kurama stared blankly, for once at a loss for words.
 
“But how is that possible?” Genkai said. Touya shrugged.
 
“No idea, but we're stuck.” Kurama, needing to see this for himself, ducked under the falls, only getting slightly wet, and into the hidden cave. The portal activated to familiar energy - Koenma had tuned it to recognize Kurama, Hiei, Yusuke, or any of Kurama's six trained fighters. At Kurama's arrival, the portal sprung to life. It was like an opening of space with a dim light being emitted. Kurama stepped up to the opening and put a hand through, only to pull back at an intense burn. Not only had it felt like an intense burn, it had felt as if his hand had hit a brick wall. The portal was indeed closed.
 
But how is that possible? The Kekkai has been brought down. And even that was a net that allowed B-class and under to pass through. By that, Yukina should have been able to pass, Kurama pondered. Rubbing his burned had absently, Kurama returned through the falls to an expectant group. He sighed.
 
“I don't know how it's possible, but the portal has been closed. Not even the Kekkai was this potent,” he said, holding up his hand. Yukina gasped and immediately rushed his side. She grabbed his hand and healed it instantly. Kurama smiles gratefully at her. “Thank you.”
 
“Of course,” Yukina replied with a slight blush.
 
“This can't be Spirit World's doing,” Genkai said. Kurama frowned thoughtfully.
 
“But why would they raise a barrier after dropping one because of the gentleman's agreement in place in Demon World?” Genkai shrugged.
 
“Couldn't you ask Botan?” Touya asked and Kurama blinked.
 
“Why didn't I think of that?” He reached into his pocket and pulled out the communication mirror. He flipped it open and waited for the ferry girl's face to appear.
 
“Kurama, what is it?” Botan asked when she saw the red-head's face. Her hair was unkempt and it didn't look like she had gotten much sleep. She was still beautiful, the fox thought idly before replying.
 
“The portal to Demon World outside of Genkai's complex has been sealed. Warded is more like it, actually,” he replied. “Not even Yukina can pass.” Botan blinked.
 
“But that's not possible! The Kekkai was brought down months ago,” she said.
 
“But that only blocked A and higher class demons,” Kurama reminded her. “Yukina couldn't pass this.” He paused for a moment. “It felt more like running into a brick wall than a net, anyway.” Botan stared for a second, amethyst eyes looking completely lost. Finally she spoke.
 
“I have no idea what to tell you, but I'll run it by Koenma,” she said, then paused and blinked slowly. “You don't think this has to do with-”
 
“Too much of a coincidence,” Kurama said.
 
“But what kind of resources could these people have?” Botan muttered. “Even Spirit World doesn't have the power to make a wall to block all demons.”
 
“That can't be good,” Suzuka muttered in the back and a general rustling of agreement followed.
 
“I'll look into what it going on with the other portals and get back to you,” Botan said. She seemed more alert, if still tired.
 
“Alright,” Kurama said.
 
“Be careful, love,” she said softly.
 
“Of course,” Kurama replied and Botan's end went black. Kurama closed his own as well and turned back to the group. “Well, might as well head back to Genkai's for now. Not much else to do. Genkai nodded.
 
“It seems I'll be having company longer than expected.”
 
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Riding his motorcycle back into town, Kurama was lost deep in thought. The sun was setting, so he would be getting back fairly late. He hoped his family hadn't noticed his absence. But the advantage to being on his own now was it was easier to excuse those absences from his family.
 
He had given Genkai his new number so she could call if there was any problem. Hiei and the others would stay with Genkai until they could return to Demon World. That was probably the safest place for any demon in Japan at this point. Kurama sighed. How had all this come about? Who was behind it? How far did their resources extend? What were their goals? And how far would they go to reach them?
 
Even for Kurama it was too much to think about at this point. So much was going on and there was much he needed to take care of. Why did the peace never seem to last?
 
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Author's Note: I'm on a roll, so I got this chapter up fairly quickly. The next chapter is about half-written at this point so that shouldn't take too long to get up either. School and all that is keeping me really busy, but my fics are keeping me sane through it all, so I hope you enjoy. Leave me a review. Tell me you loved it, tell me you hated it, tell me butchered Chuu, but tell me you read it. Reviews are major motivation :)