Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fox Love ❯ Emotions ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fox Love:
Chapter 10- Emotions



Waking to the brilliant golden beams of the warm sun shining through her eyelids, Haven found herself still seated on the wide windowsill. She yawned sleepily, remembering how it had taken her hours to fall asleep last night. Her mind had been awhirl with all of the events of the previous night. Emotions had tumbled unchecked through her head, unwanted and unstoppable. She had thought long and hard on her situation, finding neither sleep nor rest until she came to the conclusion that...she might as well give in. What else could she do? She would get no rest, either from her mind or from the others with her until she did. What did she have to lose? They didn't seem like the kind of people to betray her, especially Kurama. But what would they think of her decision? Coming to this conclusion, her mind had finally given her rest and she dropped into a deep, unbroken slumber, filled with strange dreams and memories long forgotten.

She raised her head off the cool windowpane as she heard a gentle knock on her door. Taking a deep breath, she decided to take the first steps to opening herself up.

"Come...in..." she said hesitantly, unsure of what would happen, what the reaction would be.

A surprised pause came from the knocker on the other side before the door opened slowly. Kurama stepped into the room, surprise and excitement registering on his face. His eyes sought hers and haltingly, she let the shields in them drop, revealing her inner soul, baring it to him and the rest of the boys that followed in behind him. Yusuke stepped fully into the room and grinned at her. She smiled back, a small, unsure smile, but a smile nonetheless; the first real smile they had ever seen from her.

"Ready for breakfast?" the still grinning Spirit Detective asked.

Haven nodded and jumped down off the windowsill, feeling no pain or cramps even though she had spent the whole night curled up on a skinny strip of wood. Kuwabara raced out the door, eager to go and eat the first meal of the day. The rest of them followed at a slower pace, Haven in their midst, anxiety settling in her stomach like a leaden ball. Here she was in the middle of a group of boys she had only met a few months ago, her walls were gone, and she was accepted. What was going on? What had she gotten herself into this time? Would it work, or would she be betrayed once more...? These questions and many more like them swirled dizzyingly in her mind, making it almost impossible for her to concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other and getting down to breakfast.

Luckily years of practice helped her clear her mind and she sat down to breakfast level-headed and ready to face any challenge the world threw at her.

Eating in silence Kurama contemplated the changes that had come over the kitsune girl next to him. She was actually being sociable! She had talked to them, that in itself was a major step, but then she had walked with them instead of distancing herself. It was as if she considered herself one of the group as last. When the meal was over it was a very happy kitsune boy who left the table, along with a very nervous kitsune girl.

Going up to their rooms, Haven joined the boys in their shared one and sat down, nerves still on edge.

"Time to ask the typical question," Yusuke started. "What are we going to do today? The snow's stopped, we could probably get into the downtown section of the city and go shopping or skating or something."

"I dunno, Urameshi," Kuwabara commented. "Christmas just ended and I don't feel like shopping."

Winking at Yusuke, Kurama added, "Me either, what should we do?"

Kuwabara opened his mouth again to say something, but quickly shut it again when he received twin glares from the fox and the Spirit Detective. They looked over at Haven, who up until now had been staring at the floor, silent as ever.

She now looked up. "I liked Yusuke's idea of going skating," she stated quietly, her voice unsure.

Kurama glanced at Yusuke, triumph sparkling in his eyes. This was exactly what they had wanted her to do: to become involved. They were purposely trying to draw her out, make her feel included. But at the same time he realized what this must have cost her. She now had no walls or shields to rely upon. She was alone, undefended and her soul was bared to any who would look close enough.

"Let's go then!" Kuwabara shouted, jumping up. And when he reached down to Haven, holding out his hand to help her up she surprised them all by grabbing, pulling herself up, and then grinning at Kuwabara. Turning around, the sword-wielder shot his most goofy grin at his friends and turned to follow Haven.

She paused at the door. "You guys coming?" she directed her query towards Yusuke, Kurama, and the ever-silent Hiei.

Shaking his head slightly, Kurama started and smiled. "Yes," he replied. "We're coming."

And grabbing one of Yusuke's arms and then one of Hiei's, he dragged them out of the room.

***************



Fifteen minutes later, the friends stood in front of the ice skating rink, waiting in line to pay their way in. Haven reached the booth first, and while the others were talking, paid for them all. Smiling to herself, she walked on ahead. Upon stepping up to the booth, Yusuke and the others were surprised when the man in charge waved them on in.

"You guys are already paid for. Go on in and get your skates."

Shooting surprised glances at each other, they quickly jogged ahead to where Haven was, already lacing up her keen, white skates. Kurama grabbed a pair and sat down next to her. She glanced over and grinned at him before jumping up and walking around a little, waiting. Yusuke and Kuwabara, racing to see who could finish getting his skates on first, weren't paying attention to the kitsune girl. Hiei however was looking at her and Kurama kind of funny, almost like he was nervous.

Catching his look, Kurama asked, "What's the matter Hiei?"

Hiei shifted nervously from foot to foot, holding his skates in one hand, his eyes shifting from one fox to the other. "Kurama, you know I can't skate."

Kurama laughed and was surprised when Haven joined him. He looked over at her, her face lit up and her eyes glittering in the winter sun, much like his own. She looked prettier then he had ever remembered. Almost all of the hardness and withdrawal about her was gone and she seemed to be enjoying her time with the others. Hiei looked at the girl, raised one slender eyebrow, causing it to disappear beneath the white headband around his head.

"Put your skates on Hiei, and we'll help you," Kurama told the disgruntled fire demon.

Hiei shrugged and dropped down onto the bench, lacing up his skates in a matter of moments, fingers flying. Next to him, Yusuke jumped up triumphantly.

"Done!" she shouted. "I win!"

Kuwabara grunted from his seat on the bench then stood up seconds later.

Haven turned and grinned at both of them. "Well, I think I should win. I was done before both of you."

Laughing, Kuwabara turned and squished Yusuke's nose with his finger. "She's right Urameshi, you lost!"

Grumbling good-naturedly to himself Yusuke resigned to tapping his foot impatiently, waiting for Kurama. Finishing lacing his skates, Kurama turned and pulled Hiei up. Letting go of Kurama's hand, Hiei promptly sat back down on the bench, hard.

"How am I supposed to walk in these things?!" he shouted.

"It's easy, Hiei," Haven answered, walking over to where he sat. "Take my hand." She grasped his hand firmly and pulled him up. Then she took hold of his upper arm, lending him support and led him towards the rink.

Following a little behind, Yusuke and Kurama gave each other high fives. Her walls were gone and she was warming up to them. What a perfect Christmas!