Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fruitcake ❯ Major Problems ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fruitcake
A Yu Yu Hakusho Christmas story
By Ibara Bara

Disclaimer: None of these characters are mine. They belong to Yoshihiro Togashi, Studio Perroit, and any other people who worked on the creation of this wonderful series.

Chapter 3: Major Problems

Yuusuke
We are in big trouble. We've fought evil, supposedly-unbeatable demons and narrowly escaped death each time. Now we have a very major problem. One that was caused by a ningen. Hiei is badly injured. Yukina can't heal him. According to her and Kurama, it's a skull fracture. And he needs medical attention. Surgery, to be precise.

And the only place he can get that surgery is at a ningen hospital.

Another big problem: He's not human. The Jagan is a dead give away. He'll be sent to the government for testing within two minutes of stepping into the hospital.

Not that he can exactly 'step' anywhere. He's still unconscious. And even if he weren't, he'd be in no condition to walk. Yukina and Kurama managed to stop the bleeding, but if we don't get him to a hospital soon, he'll die. That is attested to by the fact that his aura is flickering irratically.

Kurama comes up with the idea of asking Koenma for extra reiki to shield the Jagan from human eyes, and to disguise ourselves. Surprisingly, Koenma agrees.

After Kurama threatens to have him ripped apart by one of his 'pet' plants.

Kurama is disguised to look like a woman. Specifically, Hiei's - or 'Taki's' - 'mother'. He has black hair and green eyes. He's wearing an emerald green dress that matches his eyes, along with silver hair ribbons that hold his hair into an intricate braid. I'm starting to suspect that he's enjoying this.

I get stuck being the 'father'. I give myself graying black hair and black eyes. Kuwabara is the 'older brother'. Which fits him since he always calls Hiei 'shrimp' anyway. He changes his hair to black, but otherwise looks the same.

It isn't very hard to get him into the hospital. They're so disorganized that they don't even ask us for our health insurance card. The one we stole earlier today.

That might be a bad thing.

The doctors check Hiei's injury and immediately wheel him into surgery. We stay in the waiting area, waiting impatiently.

* * *
About three hours later, a man in a doctor's lab jacket calls us in. His face is grim. Kurama and I look at each other. We both fear the worst.

The doctor frowns at us. "Hello. I'm Doctor Habaka."

Kurama immediately asks what we're all wondering. "How is he?" He sounds extremely worried, but so am I. Hiei shouldn't have been injured by a ningen. At least not that seriously. And he could be dead.

Habaka sighs. "He'll be fine. But I'm wondering, how did your son get a skull fracture?"

Frowning, Kurama tells him what happened. At least, most of what happened...He doesn't include the parts about Yukina healing him and why it took so long for us to get him to the hospital.

The doctor looks alarmed. "Did the police arrest that teenager?"

I shake my head. "No. The guy ran." I sigh. "Taki's friend is really upset."

"That's understandable," Habaka says, nodding.

Kurama speaks again. "When can take Taki home?" Acting the perfect part of the concerned mother.

Or something more...

The doctor turns to him. "In a few days. We'd like to keep your son for observation, if that's okay with you."

Kurama nods. "Can we see him?"

Habaka smiles. "Of course. Follow me." He leads us to a small room in the children's section of the hospital.

Hiei lay on the only bed in the room, either asleep or unconscious. Probably unconscious. His face is nearly as pale as the blankets and sheets around him. The little bit of spiky, jet-black hair that is not covered by bandages contrasts startlingly with his face. The white starburst in his hair is also camouflaged by a shield of reiki.

The doctor smiles at us knowingly (or so he thinks) and leaves the room.

Kurama walks to the bed and sits on the edge of it. He looks at Hiei for a while, checking his aura. Then he gets up and looks at us. "His aura is strengthening. He'll be fine." I sigh, relieved. Kuwabara looks equally relieved. He may get into arguments with Hiei, but he still considers the youkai a good friend and teammate, and his concern is obvious. Kurama continues. "We need to get his out of here before his temperature rises. Any suggestions?"

Kuwabara scratches his head thoughtfully. "Well...we can't exactly carry him out..."

I clear my throat. "Actually, we could, but we might get caught..."

Kurama walks to the window. "We could get Boton to do it..." He turns toward us. "You two tell her to come here to get us. I'll stay here and make sure that Hiei doesn't burn the hospital down when he wakes up."

I nod. "Okay. See you in a little while." I drag Kuwabara out the door. I don't know why, but I'm starting to suspect that Kurama looks at Hiei as more than a friend...