Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Heal Me, I'm Heartsick ❯ Suspicious File ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, this is the first chapter in Kurama's POV. You'll see that there really is something more to Bri than meets-the-eye. I will tell you right now, that although powerful in a way, Bri is not powerful like the boys are. Physically, she is just like a normal human.
 
However, you will see that she has something that no one else does have. I own the ideas of an Empathe, however slight the idea. Please don't take them. They aren't mentioned yet, but I did want ya'll to know that…
 
Chapter 3: Suspicious File
 
~>~Kurama~<~
 
What a strange girl. She ran away from us, clumsy and slow, and hopped aboard the passing trolley with little grace. How had she possibly been so good at this game? Yusuke stared after her, even as Keiko and Botan walked off. Kuwabara scratched his head.
 
“I didn't do anything funny that time,” Kuwabara said. “Why'd she do that?”
 
“She didn't like your ugly clams on her shoulder, idiot,” Yusuke said. “I can't believe I lost to a girl. A Yank, no less.”
 
“She's from Kansas, not New York,” I corrected. “There's something strange about her.”
 
“What, besides the fact that she's butchering all her `r' sounds?”
 
“Yes, more than that. I don't trust her. Something isn't right.”
 
“Whoa, Kurama, I didn't think I'd ever hear that out of you,” Kuwabara said. “I mean, usually you wait a few days before saying you don't trust someone. Maybe you don't trust them right off, but usually you wait…”
 
“I know. Something is not right here. I don't think she was the one that Takenaka was supposed to have chosen.”
 
“What, you think she killed someone to get here or something?”
 
“It's not that,” I shook my head. “I must find Hiei.”
 
>>>
 
I found Hiei in our usual training area. He was, of course, training. I could hear trees and branches falling from several miles off before I found him. When at last I found him in a clearing, he'd already put away his katana.
 
“Fox, what do you want?”
 
“The new foreign exchange student,” I said. My manners were forgotten when I was alone with Hiei. “What do you know of her?”
 
He leaped into a tree. I knew what he was doing. My worries were not unfounded, then. Hiei's hesitation was proof enough of that. I leaned against the tree he was in and waited for his answer. If I asked again, he would only get annoyed and make me wait longer. I knew Hiei well after the time we'd been partners.
 
“Her name is Bridget Wolf.” Unlike me, he didn't butcher her name. “Birth date is April 1, 1986. She is the daughter of Marion Wolf and Tsuki Sawaguchi. She never knew her real mother was who she was. Her father is unknown besides his name. Her best friend and half sister, Keiko Sawaguchi, recently committed suicide.”
 
I nearly broke my neck craning to see if he was serious. This wasn't at all what I'd expected. I'd expected to hear that she was some demon that had killed the real Bridget Wolf in order to assassinate Yusuke or myself.
 
“That is all the information I could get out of Koenma.”
 
“What?” I turned around and stared straight up into his red eyes. Usually, Koenma could tell us plenty on human records. They were kept so much neater by the ogres.
 
“Here's the report.”
 
A slim manila envelope fell into my hands.
 
“Oh, and you're invited to Sammy's for pizza, Hiei,” I told him.
 
“Hn.”
I took that as a yes. He jumped away before I could clarify.
 
Why did Hiei have to act so similar to a grasshopper?
 
I opened the manila folder he'd given me. Usually, these things weighed tons each, especially on humans. They kept a good track of humans, those ogres did. Trying to keep track of anything but a demon's criminal record was insanity bordering on mental suicide. However, Bridget Wolf's file looked more like my own than a human's.
 
The most interesting thing about it was the inherent lack of information. It didn't state where she was born or anything else beyond what Hiei had told me. However, in the far right hand corner, almost indistinguishable from the rest of the file, was a faint word. It was penciled, and then half erased.
 
Lightning.
 
With that information alone, I went home. I didn't take the train or the trolley; I just went as fast as my legs could carry me. Which was faster, I hope. Quietly, I told my mother that I was home and asked if Bri had made it.
 
“Of course, she's down in her room.”
 
I wish I could tell her how much I distrusted this girl.
 
But my mother was so excited about Bri. As if she hadn't just agreed to host a foreign exchange student, but had adopted Bri as her own daughter. I didn't know quite how to feel about that. I'd always been an only child. Now, I wasn't. Mother was chirping about the living room with a feather duster like a little bird.
 
How was I supposed to feel?
 
The only thing I felt was confused.
 
I descended the steps into my own room and slid the manila folder between two books on my shelf. Like magic, it vanished there. Curiosity got the better of me. The only way I was going to find out more about Bri was by talking directly with her.
 
Bri left the door wide open and I stood in the doorframe. She was writing in a composition notebook with a mechanical pencil. I knew English, of course, but I couldn't make out any of the words. She closed it with a practiced ease, trying to appear as if the notebook was nothing. Slowly, she turned toward me and smiled.
 
“Hi, Shuichi. Did you find Hiei all right?”
 
***
 
I know what you all are doing. Rolling the eyes. Some of you prolly already pressed the back button. For those still here, please give it a chance! It isn't like other stories, I promise!