Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Hiei And the Umbrella ❯ A Day to Remember ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hiei yawned; he was very tired after the long day he had had. He was lying on the couch, staring at the ceiling. Kurama was taking a shower. Hiei hated showers; they reminded him of a very bad day. Hiei sighed. 'Yeah, that day.'

~Flashback~

Hiei yawned; he was bored and waiting for Kurama to finish with his shower. "I wonder what a shower is," Hiei said out loud to himself. The fire demon stood up and wandered over to the bathroom. He put his ear to the door and heard something running; it sounded like water. Hiei turned the knob to the door but found it locked. "What the...?" Hiei growled in annoyance. There was only one way to fix this.

The bathroom door was now leaning against a wall. Hiei had removed it with just a bit of force so fast that there hadn't been any noise.

Hiei peeked in and saw steam rising from the top of the curtains that surrounded the tub. "Hey fox?" he called. But Kurama did not answer. Hiei slowly walked over to the shower.

Hiei grabbed the side of the shower curtain, hesitated, and slid the curtain to the left. Hiei blushed madly when he saw what was behind the curtain. Hiei was suddenly gunned down by the showerhead that was now in Kurama's hand. The fox grabbed a towel that was near him and wrapped it around his body. Kurama walked over to the fire demon, his hair clinging to his back. "Hiei! What're you doing in here?!" Kurama yelled, obviously very embarrassed.

Hiei shook some of the water off and stood up. "I didn't know what you were doing," Hiei stated. He turned around and left the bathroom.

Kurama stared out into the hall. "Hiei? Where is the bathroom door?" Kurama asked, sweat dropping. Hiei reappeared with the large door in his hands and slammed it back into its right place. Kurama sighed. "That was weird."

~Flashback ends~

Hiei sighed. He now knew that humans were very private when they cleaned themselves. 'Why did I blush?' Hiei thought. 'We're both demons.' Hiei snorted; maybe it was the fact that Kurama was in a human body. Hiei shrugged the thought away.

Kurama entered the room Hiei was in. "Are you hungry? Thirsty?" Kurama asked. Hiei shrugged. Kurama smiled and took it as a yes. "I'll make us some hot chocolate." He looked over at Hiei, who now had his eyes closed. "If you want, you can get the marshmallows for me." When Kurama turned around, Hiei was already in the kitchen searching for the fluffy white marshmallows. He was standing on the counters. Kurama sighed; his nice clean counter tops. He was about to ask Hiei to get down but stopped. Hiei loved to have marshmallows in his hot chocolate, and plus he was helping - it was one less thing Kurama had to look for.

"We'll use the new cups you bought me with the stolen money," Kurama smiled. Hiei glared at him.

"I thought humans said it's the thought that counts. Right?"

Kurama nodded. "I am surprised you have heard of that," he commented.

Hiei snorted. "I was resting in a tree and you said it to someone."

Kurama looked at Hiei as he poured water into a pot and put it on the stove. He turned it on and waited for the water to boil.

"This is taking a long time," Kurama complained, watching the water.

Hiei jumped to the floor with the marshmallows in his hand. "Just go ahead and pour it into the cups."

Kurama tilted his head to one side, confused. "But the point is for it to be hot."

Hiei growled. "I know that! Just do it!" Kurama shrugged and did as Hiei asked.

Hiei walked over to and put his hands over the cups. Using some of his fire energy, he made the water boil. "There." Kurama looked shocked. "Idiot, I am a fire demon, I can do more than just dry myself off."

Kurama looked at Hiei and was sure he saw a smirk on his face. "Y-yeah..." Hiei started pouring marshmallows into his hot chocolate. "Don't you think that's enough?" Kurama asked. He received a glare from Hiei. "Just asking." Kurama grabbed the bag from Hiei and put some in his hot chocolate too. "It's summer and we're drinking hot chocolate."

Hiei shrugged. "So?"

Kurama smiled. "I'm just saying that this is usually for winter."

Hiei looked at Kurama. "Well, you're the one who asked if I wanted any."

Kurama nodded. "Yeah, I know; I was just saying," he acquiesced, deciding there was no point in arguing with him. "You'll have to stay with me in the winter - it will be fun."

Hiei actually seemed to be thinking about it as he looked at Kurama. "Hn. Maybe," was Hiei's answer.

"Why don't we go outside for a while - just walk around?" It's not raining, and I promise I have no umbrella." Kurama chuckled to himself.

Hiei shrugged. "Ok."

Kurama and Hiei left the house together and strolled down the sidewalk. It was a nice day, a busy day, perhaps, but a nice one.

Hiei looked over at two girls who were whispering to each other. Every now and then one would giggle. "I see your fan club is here," the fire demon stated with a smirk.

Kurama sighed. "Let's just get something to eat; maybe they will leave us alone." But the fox knew that it would take a miracle for them to leave him alone.

"Shuuichi-kun!" one girl with short brown hair called. Kurama started walking faster.

Many fan girls soon surrounded Kurama. "Oh, hello there," Kurama said, trying to keep his cool - like always.

"Didn't you hear us call you, Shuuichi-kun?" a short girl, but taller than Hiei, asked.

"Sorry; I must not have, I really have to go though." Kurama bowed to and smiled at them. They all screamed with excitement; one even fainted.

"Are they still following me?" Kurama asked Hiei, who looked back over his shoulder.

"Need you ask?" his friend retorted. Kurama sighed; he knew they were still there. "I can get rid of them for you, just destro-"

"No, no! There is no need for that!" Kurama interrupted. Hiei shrugged; if Kurama wanted all those pathetic human girls following them, it was fine with him.

As they were walking they bumped into Yusuke and Kuwabara, who were fighting. "Oh hey, Kurama, Hiei," Yusuke said while beating Kuwabara single-handedly. Kuwabara got up with a black and blue face.

"Hello," Kurama replied.

"Hn."

Kuwabara looked at all the girls trying to hide. "Fan girls?" he asked.

Kurama nodded, sweat dropping. "You know, why don't you go talk to them? I'm sure one will date you." That seemed to bring Kuwabara to life, for he jumped up and walked over with his chest puffed out.

"Hn. Fool; it seems he's forgotten about Yukina."

Kurama chuckled. "Seems so."

While Kurama, Hiei, and Yusuke talked, the Shuuichi fan girls started pulverizing Kuwabara. "You're not Shuuichi-kun!" one would yell. Another one would kick him, then yell, "Yeah you're too ugly to have a girlfriend anyways, not like Shuuichi-kun!"

Kurama sweat dropped; maybe using Kuwabara to give him some time to escape was not a good idea. "Well, we best be going." Kurama bowed and started to walk away with Hiei.

"Yeah, see ya," Yusuke said.

"Hn. It's getting dark," Hiei said, looking at the sky.

Kurama looked up as well. "Why, so it is. Are you still hungry?" Hiei nodded with no emotion showing on his face.

*

"Hiei, please eat with the chop sticks, people are staring!" Kurama whispered pleadingly. Hiei was eating 'demon style,' which meant with his hands.

Hiei growled low in his throat. "Why should I?"

Kurama sighed. "Please just do it."

"I bought you all that stuff, didn't I? Let me eat how I want to," Hiei said in a monotone voice.

"You stole the money, Hiei. I don't think that counts as buying."

Hiei growled again but grabbed the chopsticks. He held them in his hand and looked at them. "I don't know how...to eat with them," he said lowly.

Kurama smiled. "Here; I'll show you." Kurama moved to sit next to Hiei. He grabbed his hand and positioned the chopsticks, but they fell from his hand. Kurama positioned them again. "It's all right; it takes time." By the end of the meal, Hiei has gotten a bit better. "See? It's not that hard; you'll get better if you keep trying." Hiei nodded. Once he was done, he began cleaning his hands demon-style. "Hiei, please! Don't lick your hands." Kurama crossed his arms on the table and put his head in them.

Hiei stopped. "What? Have you forgotten how demons clean themselves?"

"No; it's just weird to humans is all."

"Hn. You are turning more into human everytime I see you," Hiei pointed out.

Kurama smiled. "Someday I will return to the Makai to live; just not right now. Now let's go."

As Kurama walked to the door, a flash of lightning briefly illuminated the sky. "Looks like rain," he commented.

"Great," Hiei said flatly. "It rains everyday here, doesn't it?"

Kurama smiled. "In the summer it rains a lot because the heat brings these storms," the fox explained.

"Oh," was all Hiei managed to say.

Hiei was waiting at Kurama's apartment for him when Kurama arrived a couple of minutes later. "You could have waited for me," the redhead complained.

Hiei shrugged but suddenly started growling at Kurama. "Where did you get that?" the fire demon hissed. Kurama was holding an umbrella.

"A girl gave it to me; she said she had two, although I believe that when she saw I had no umbrella, she took someone else's so she could talk to me," he added flatly.

Hiei sweat dropped. "Fan girls will do anything for you, won't they?"

Kurama nodded. "Yes, they will."

"Foolish humans," Hiei muttered.