Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Kurama and landmines ❯ Kurama! And...landmines?! ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warnings: DEATH (of a main character), language, umm…I don't think there's anything else… oh…except implied shounen ai (Hiei x Kurama) and (Yusuke x Kuwabara) (the second one is completely up to you and definitely not my intention. I don't mind the first…)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho or it's characters and I'm not paid for this.
 
Kurama! And…landmines?!
 
Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Kurama were walking in a field…not just any field - this was the outer band of a massive military complex. Somewhere up ahead, Hiei was flickering around, checking for any sign that they were getting close to their destination. The mission was to capture or kill the demons who were harassing the base, without the military knowing. They had cut the “electric” fence with pruning shears a couple of miles back. Yusuke was starting to think that the government was just bull-shitting about this being a top secret base when he saw a glint in the grass ahead. And saw Kurama step on it.
 
“Don't move, Kurama!” he yelled. The red-head stopped. He started to shift his weight to turn around.
 
“I said stay still!”
 
Kurama stopped again.
 
“What is it, Yusuke?” The red-headed demon asked.
 
Yusuke stepped over to his friend, bent down, looked at the object under Kurama's foot, and swore colorfully. Kurama smiled at his friend's creativity. Yusuke stood up and grasped Kurama's shoulders. He looked down and shook his head.
 
“What is it Urameshi? Is that a…a landmine! Aaaahhhhh!!!” Yusuke's stupid, insensitive best friend Kuwabara said, running 50 feet away and then turning around.
 
“What's…a landmine?” Kurama asked hesitantly.
 
Yusuke sighed. Demons don't know anything, he thought. He looked into Kurama's eyes.
 
“A landmine…is an explosive device. Most blow up when you step on them, but apparently this is the kind that blows up when you step off of it.”
 
“I see…thank you Yusuke.” A pause. “Do you know how to disarm it?”
 
Yusuke looked down and shook his head.
 
“Oh…well I guess you'd better get going, then.”
 
Yusuke's head snapped up and he eyed Kurama.
 
“Why?” the dark-heade boy asked.
 
It was Kurama's turn to sigh. Humans…
 
“Because I don't want you to blow up too.” Yusuke started to talk, but was interrupted by Kurama. “I think I have a plan, but if it does not work, at least only one of us will blow up, right?”
 
“I…see your point.” Yusuke conceded. “But if you die, I'm gonna go to Spirit World and kick your spirit's ass!”
 
“Deal.” Kurama said, knowing that if he died it wouldn't be Spirit World that he went to.
 
Yusuke walked away slowly, looking back often, wondering if he was doing the right thing by leaving his friend there. When he got to Kuwabara, he looked back one more time before grasping his best friend's shoulder and saying, “Come on. He doesn't need us to distract him.”
 
“What's he gonna do?” Kuwabara asked, wide-eyed.
 
“I don't know…but I hope it works.”
 
Kuwabara and Yusuke walked away in silence, each wondering if they were about to lose a teammate…and a friend.
 
Kurama breathed out a sigh of relief when Kuwabara and Yusuke were finally at what he judged to be a safe distance away. He kept worrying that the landmine would go off without his help, blowing all three of them up.
 
“I'm probably just being stupid.” Kurama said to himself. Then he smiled. “I wonder if Yusuke really knew what this is. With his grades in school…who knows. I'll just treat this thing like it will blow up at any moment.”
 
Kurama set to work on his plan. First, he looked at what he was stepping on. It appeared to be a large metal disk. He wasn't sure if the trigger involved the whole disk or a smaller part of it that was hidden by his foot. He hoped it was the whole thing, it would make his task easier, but since he wasn't sure, he had to assume that some small part was the trigger. He sighed and prayed to Inari that this would work.
 
He channeled his ki into the grass under his feet and the few vines nearby. He made the plants push on the disk where it peeked out from under his foot. Since he couldn't think of a way to get the plants to push on the part of the disk that was under his foot without stepping off, Kurama took a deep breath and jumped, simultaneously making the plants grow where his foot had been a split-second earlier. It didn't blow up. Kurama slowly backed away while concentrating on focusing his ki into the plants that kept the landmine from exploding.
 
A mile or so away, Kuwabara and Yusuke were still walking in silence when Hiei popped up in front of them and said, “The base is ten miles…where's Kurama?”
 
Kuwabara and Yusuke looked at each other, then at the ground.
 
“He's dealing with a delicate situation.” Yusuke said.
 
“Hn,” Hiei scoffed. “Baka probably got himself killed.”
 
At Kuwabara and Yusuke's startled and guilty looks, Hiei's eyes widened and he flickered, jumping from tree to tree in the direction that Kuwabara and Yusuke had come from.
 
“Hiei! Don't!” Yusuke yelled, too late.
 
Kurama was ten feet away from the landmine when Hiei flickered behind him. He walked up behind the kitsune, put his hand on his shoulder and said, “what are you…”
 
Kurama started in surprise, losing his concentration. The landmine blew up. Kurama and Hiei were thrown a hundred feet away. They landed with Kurama on top of Hiei, his elbow pressed into Hiei's throat. Hiei gargled, then pushed Kurama off.
 
“What the fuck was that, baka…”
 
He stopped, staring at his friend. What was left of him.
 
 
Author's Note: This was a death fic at first, then I was gonna continue it. But I couldn't think of anything to do with it, so I decided to post it as a death fic. If I get enough reviews, I might change that last part and make it…not a death fic.
 
Please no flames about death. If you don't like him dying, don't read or review so that I change it. No flames in general, please. If you don't like it, say it in a civil way. I don't write harsh and negative reviews and I'd like the same treatment.
 
Also - I know that Kurama would probably know what a landmine is, being super-intelligent and all, but I made him less worldly to fit into the fic. Sorry!
 
Also also (he, he!), if you review cause you want me to continue, tell me if you want it to become actual shonen ai (KxH, not YxK - I don't like that pairing…although…I could write it if you want me to…).