Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Plan of Action ( Chapter 34 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Plan of Action

calikocat

Word count: 1521

XXX

Kako still couldn't really grasp all that had happened in the past six months...or was it more than that now? Sometimes things blurred together. There should have been a celebration back when it first happened. When the Family Tree on the wall in the family room had glowed and changed. Names changed, new names appeared. It was something they hadn't truly expected. They had heard from her cousin Aiko, who was much older than Kako and even had a son her age; that the current clan head was going to get them reinstated. The Kuwabara Clan that is.

The truth of the matter, however, was that they had never left the magical society. Their family's livelihood depended on staying, they had one of the best Post Fowl farms in Asia and the best in Japan....other countries often sent orders for the post fowl they raised.

It had created a fissure between her mother Eiko and her much older brother Akira, but her mother had stood by her father. He had inherited the family business from his father and wouldn’t abandon it, or his way of life. So Akira had let them go, with a smile even. Perhaps the fissure may have only been in her mother's heart and to honor her brother she did live very much in the non-magical world... As all of Japan's magical society had been forced to do. Things were better now, on a large scale but on a smaller scale, not so much.

When they'd first been contacted by Kuwabara Kazuma they didn't reply; too shocked, too cautious, and the old pain was too much. Now though, now the pain was so much deeper and new, they were going to get in touch no matter what. Her mother had promised Jun after all, that they would save Kyo. Those damn Sohmas were the source of their new pain.

Ever since Kyo had been born that damned Akito had barely let them visit and when they did… Kako and her mother weren't allowed to hold the boy. It was infuriating. Jun never said why, but they suspected there was something unusual about the Sohmas. There was a strange energy about them, well some of them.

“Turn here.”

Kako almost jumped at Eiko's voice, but recovered enough to do as told and turned down the driveway on her left. She pulled to a stop and stared up at the two story house. “This is it?”

“What were you expecting? A mansion?”

“He is the clan head.”

“The Kuwabaras’ have never been as pretentious as the Sohmas.”

“You didn't grow up in a large house?” She asked her mother.

“I did, but along with our parents there were six people living in it. I believe there are only three in Kazuma's family.”

Kako shook her head and pointed to the brown cat with a white face sitting on the porch staring at their truck. “Make that four.” She looked at her mother with a grin. “And soon it will be six.”

Eiko nodded in agreement and they got out of the truck, each going around to the back of it, and retrieved a crate. It was custom, after all, to bring one's host a gift...especially when you had a request to make. They made it to the porch without incident, under the cat's watchful gaze, and then nearly jumped when the front door opened.

Kako looked up and up at the tall young man and nearly dropped the crate she was holding. Kuwabara Kazuma's hair was the same color as Kyo's.

He smiled at her. “Akiyama Eiko? Akiyama Kako?”

Her mother nodded. “You were expecting us.”

“Jun stopped by on her way to the spirit realm; her guide is a family friend.” Kako flashed to Jun's funeral at his words. They hadn't exactly been welcome; Sohma Akito had practically smirked at them. Her father had to stay farther back, or else he might have hexed the bastard...or punched the brat in the face. Kazue had done the same, so only Kako and her mother had seen Jun's spirit as she hugged her son one more time. Only they had seen her as she came to Eiko to say farewell. Only they had seen the blue haired woman in the pink kimono.

Wait... “Family friend?”

“Her name is Botan. I can say with confidence that she escorted Jun to Reikai safely.” He opened the door wider. “Please, come in.” And as they walked in he took the crates from them, handling them with ease. His casual strength shocked them for a second before they followed him in, slipping out of their shoes and into the guest slippers waiting for them.

There was a sudden presence behind them and they jumped as the door closed, turning to see a man shorter than Kazuma. His eyes were bright red.

“Oi, Hiei, stop scaring our guests.”

“I was only closing the door.”

Kazuma sighed. “Hiei only teases people he likes. It took me some time to figure that out.” He smiled at the other man. “Is Hari-chan still asleep?”

“He is...why did they bring us ducks?”

Kazuma gave Hiei a puzzled look before looking at the crates in his arms. “Post fowl?”

Eiko nodded. “Yes. I didn't think you would have any. Our family raises the best and rarest water post fowl in Japan. They're a breeding pair of the Crested Shelducks. The non-magicals think they're extinct.”

“But you've managed to save a few.”

“More than a few,” her mother's words were full of pride.

“Thank you, that was thoughtful.”

Kako cleared her throat. “We have a kit in the truck; we can build them a habitat now. To get them settled.”

“Are you sure?”

She nodded. “This is what we do; building such a thing is easy. With magic.”

“You have your wands.” Hiei stated.

“We do. The Kuwabaras may have left, but the Akiyamas did not.”

“No one is faulting you for that. Hiei can show you where to set up the habitat. I'll take care of the refreshments.”

At his words Hiei took both crates from Kazuma with that same casual strength and led them back outside. Kako and Eiko levitated their supplies out of the truck and followed him around the back of the house to a tree. It was a good choice, sheltered. Hiei put the crates down and watched as they set up the two-level wooden structure with attached wire pen that was just big enough for the ducks to fly up on the perches provided. The small pool filled with water as it settled into place and Hiei raised a brow.

“The pool is self cleaning.” Then they carefully placed the pair into the pen and gave them a dish full of food.

“You can go to most pet stores for minnows to feed them as treats. They like catching their food themselves.” Hiei nodded and without a word led them back inside.

True to his word Kazuma had four cups of tea and a plate full of small sandwiches ready for them. They ate and drank before Eiko brought up their reason for coming.

“You said Jun came to see you.”

“She did,” Hiei confirmed.

“So you know why we're here?” Kako asked.

“She wanted us to save her son Kyo and Sohma Kazuma.”

Kako nodded. “Jun mentioned a curse...and the Sohmas are awfully secretive.”

Her mother's voice was full of pain as she looked pleadingly at Kazuma. “I've never been allowed to hold my grandson.”

“There may truly be a curse then, something to do with physical contact.”

“What do we do?” Kako wanted to know.

Hiei, however, asked a different question. “Is the boy in danger?”

Eiko shook her head. “I don't think so. Not immediate danger. Why?”

“We received a letter from an American cousin whose life may be in danger from professional assassins. She fears for her life and her daughter’s...and her daughter is a vampire slayer.”

Kako felt her jaw drop. “We have a slayer in the clan?”

Her mother's expression matched her own. “Why would assassins be after this mother and daughter?”

“Summers Joyce was born Blanc Joyce.” Hiei told them. “Her powers were seemingly non-existent. The Blanc clan, her grandparents, tried to kill her more than once. During one attempt she faked her death and thought it would be over.”

At that Kazuma looked sad. “But with the reinstatement...”

“Her life is in danger once more.” Eiko finished for him. “All of that because of old fashioned pureblood views?”

“Yes.”

Her mother seemed to gather her resolve. “Then the assassins must be stopped and then Kyo and Sohma Kazuma must be saved.”

“But where do we start?” Kako demanded.

Kazuma smiled at her kindly. “Tell us everything you know about the Sohmas.”

XXX