Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Dragon Girls ❯ The Past and Present ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Legend of the Dragon Girls- Prologue: "The Past and Present"

By Matoko Shizaki

Disclaimer: I don't own YYH. FUNimation does.

Notes: I decided a prologue would be necessary to write to explain the legend better but this is a little weird since I've already published the first chapter… ^_^;;

@~@~@~@~@

"Once, long before Lord Koenma himself was born, King Enma had three beautiful daughters. The oldest was Fubuki and she had the ability to manage the mighty ice and water dragon. The middle daughter was Nora, controller of the powerful earth dragon. King Enma's youngest daughter was Rinku with the gift to direct the raging fire dragon. Together, they made the Dragon Princesses. But these were no ordinary princesses of Makai! Oh no. They and their dragons would be the saviors of the world when the time came.

"And one day that time did come. The leader of all the demons, Lord Seikyo, led the demons to over power King Enma and the entire spirit world. Havoc arose and when all hope of victory had been lost, King Enma remembered the prophecy the gods before him had foretold. They had said that one day, the three young princesses would be the only hope to smite a wicked demon ruler and return peace to the spirit and demon worlds. They would have to fight, and maybe even give their lives to save the innocents of both worlds.

"Fubuki, Nora, and Rinku set out to find the demon lord and destroy him. After an epic battle with Lord Seikyo, the three princesses were left helpless. Expanding their body's spiritual energy, they gave their lives to defeat Lord Seikyo. All was peaceful again.

"But the prophets also foretold of another thing: This was not the last they had seen of Lord Seikyo. The three girls would be reincarnated throughout generations to make sure it didn't happen again…"

Youko finished his long tale with a sigh as his little sister, Yanagi, looked up and him from her mat on the floor. The little youkai squeezed her stuffed fox even harder. "So, how was that for a bed time story?" Youko asked leaning backwards in his chair. Yanagi smiled showing her full row of teeth and glistening canines. "That was the best big brother!" Youko smiled back. "Well I'm glad you liked it." The older youkai went to blow out the candle but his little sister stopped him. "Youko?" "Yes?" "Do you think I could be one of the Dragon Girls (Yanagi couldn't pronounce `princesses' at her age…)?" Youko crossed his arms in front of him. "Well, anything is possible. Maybe you are." Yanagi smiled at her older brother's response. "Youko, can't you stay here with me tomorrow? It gets lonely when you're not around!" Youko picked up the candle and ran his hand through his silver hair careful not to hit his cat-like ears. "You know I have to steal so we can eat Yanagi-chan. I can't." Yanagi pouted. "But, I'll tell you what." Youko continued bringing a smile to Yanagi's face. "When I come home I'll come with something nice for you. Okay?" Yanagi nodded and Youko went to blow out the candle. "I love you Youko." "I love you too Yanagi." And with those two sentences, the lights in the little hut went out and everything was dark again.

Youko was coming back from a day at "work", his sack slung over his bag. "Hmm, I think Yanagi will like this." Youko muttered to himself while looking over the elegant kimono he had stolen. "It's meant for and older girl but Yanagi will grow into it." Suddenly there was a scream frightening the birds and causing them to fly from their nests in all different directions. "What the?" Bird whizzed past Youko's head and he wagged his tail back and forth trying to shoo them away. Smoke billowed over the treetops coming from not too far away. "Yanagi?!" Youko's heart beat faster as he darted through the forest towards his little hut.

By the time he got their, flames has engulfed it. No sound of life came from the collapsed hut but Youko dug through the debris anyway. "Yanagi? W-Where are you?" Youko stumbled over the collapsed roof. A tiny hand stuck out from under the roof and Youko leapt down to pry off the roof. Sure enough, Yanagi was underneath, crushed and burned but still alive. "Yanagi!" Youko held her in his arms as she spoke. "Fire-men-Youko, I…" she sputtered, blood dripping down her face. "Calm down. Everything's going to be fine." Youko said holding his little sister to his chest. Suddenly the youkai realized that he wasn't talking to his sister, he was talking to himself. Yanagi looked up at her older brother and smiled. "I love you Youko." "I love you too." And with that Yanagi closed her eyes and went limp. Youko wiped his eyes and lay her body down on the rubble. Before he left, he picked something up off the ground: a little stuffed fox.