Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Les amies Noir ❯ Vampire the Masquerade ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Without a comment let's get started with only a short quote from the book.
 
“Even if you don't mean to, even if it begins with an accident, sooner or later you get inured to the sight of a brand new corpse, lying dead at your feet. After the tenth, hundredth, thousandth or whatever corpse, it stops being a person and becomes an object, a vessel. A footnote in your history of the ages. And you, at that moment, cease to be remotely human.”
 
------------------------
 
 
Les amies noir chapter 15
 
 
Hiei looked at him lying on the floor. His jacket and black armless top were lying on the floor beside him. He didn't seem to be minding sleeping on such an uncomfortable place as this old storage floor. Then again then sun was all up and he probably couldn't be awake even if he wanted to. Even so Hiei had made sure that the windows were completely covered not a single ray of sun got through, he didn't mind the darkness the least, as a matter of fact he liked it. He looked over at the half naked vampire in front of him. His skin horribly white at this time. But he saw what he needed to se. He sat down behind his back and let his finger trace one of the markings. (Who did this to you Kurama?) He saw the marking that was suppose to show a crown, the Lasombra clan mark. Even though it was barley recognisable as a crown to it's shape Hiei understood it's meaning anyhow. Yina had told him what she knew and he knew enough to understand that not only was Kurama burdened with his vampire instincts, but also with the nature of his clan to struggle against. Hiei lift up his jacket and laid it over him as a cover then sat down, back against the door waiting for sunset.
---
The funeral was simple yet emotional, Shizuru was devastated, both Keiko and Botan did their best to comfort her. Yukina was also in deep sorrow letting her hiruseki stones fall without bothering. No one of the others were told why he had died, they said they had been on a mission fighting youkais and that they hade greatly misjudged their enemies.
Kuwabara had died to save them all.
---
Yusuke stared down at the glass, he was using alcohol to dampen the pain, it actually worked to some extent, and not even Keiko tried to stop him even if it was only an hour after the funeral and only late afternoon.
-“That bastard! He shouldn't go and die like that, neither one of them can just go and die like that I'm not allowing it.”
- (Neither one of them?) If Keiko hadn't been so upset herself she would have asked Yusuke about it. “Yusuke we should go home now. It's almost dark. And….You need to rest.”
-“Yeah…..don't wanna be out when it's dark do I….”
Keiko looked over at him; she had never seen him this lost, as if so many thoughts went through his mind that she could not reach. “Yusuke there is something I have not been told right?” She could read his face so easily, she didn't want him to carry this burden by himself like he used to so long ago. Yusuke only remained silent, his eyes to sad to make Keiko ask again so she remained silent as well.
---
Kurama didn't recognise what he was seeing in front of his closed eyelids, he heard voices clearly in the distance, voices he recognised but didn't want to recognise. “Kurama!” Hieis voice calling his name from an unknown distance. “Get up will you the sun has already set.” It sounded rather angry and annoyed just how he remembered Hiei voice. He opened his eyes to see Hiei standing above him looking down.
-“You better not act cocky now since I have my powers back in this world” Kurama quickly got up in sitting position remembering where he was.
-“No!” He remembered what Anatole had said. Then he looked over at Hiei who now had sat down beside him looking at if as if he was inspecting something. Kurama quickly dragged his top to him and dragged it over his head and then grabbed his jacket and stood up.
-“Those markin-
-“Do not talk of them please.” Hiei just remained silent not trying to pry into why Kurama didn't want to talk about it. Allowing him to continue talking. “I failed” Hiei looked slightly confused at hearing this.
-“The ´hellhole´ is changing its location Hiei.”
-“What do you mean?” He said in a tone that understood, yet wanted a more clear explanation.
-“The world has been ripped up” His tone heavy, sad and depressed. Kurama started walking Hiei followed after silently not asking anything more about the matter. He knew he wouldn't receive any answer if he did.
Upon entering the street Kurama located quickly where he was, that storage house around the harbour, rather far from his former home. Only Hieis speed could have gotten him here in such a short time before the sun arose. (What do I do now?) He knew what he wanted to answer yet he felt himself incapable of doing such a thing. The tables had completely turned, here there was something that he wanted to protect from his fellow kindred, yet he not be able to keep himself from killing kine. Kine that he ones knew and talked to! It was different, it was hard to face for himself that he had to make people that he knew, had to make them objects.
-“Kurama.” Hieis sharp voice interrupted his thinking. “You should go and hunt before anything else.” Hieis simple acceptance was slightly shocking to him. He turned around looking at him. They exchanged cold glances that only they themselves could read between the lines; and those lines were the ones of sadness. “I don't care what you turn into!” Hiei snapped and quickly turned his back to him “But seeing your mind that weak is disgusting. I'd rather have you cruel and ruthless.” Saying that Kurama remembered.
-“Like when I killed Kuwabara?”
-“Do you feel regret?”
-“Only slightly. Nothing that is actually disturbing. I still se perfect logic for my actions even if I, in the end, failed what I reached for.”
(You never had to make him an object. You never planed on using him for your hunger. He still had an identity when you killed him, so you feel a slight regret.)
---
Yusuke felt that he needed to take a walk, it would ease the pressure on his mind at least a little. Walked down the familiar streets and corners. Finding his way not getting lost.
-“Peaceful Ningenkai…….” He said to himself trying to ease up a part of the atmosphere but it wasn't helping. Then he seemed something approaching, and approaching quickly. (A youkai?) Yusuke turned around ready to face his tantei duties. But what he saw coming against him looked rather human, he felt surprised at first but when what came against him bared it's fangs to him the first thing that hit him was. (Nightmare!) He felt his energy rise fast but apparently not enough fast for he saw a hand grab the face in front of him smashing the skull hard down against the pavement making the head only a mash of blood and flesh.
-“Ku, Kurama!!” Yusuke could barley believe what had just happened.
-“The world has been ripped up Yusuke.” A frightfully serious face looked over at him, still those black endless eyes yet they seemed rather questioning. Yusuke only looked at his friend not certain if this was his friend, or that black creature that had killed Kuwabara. No it somehow felt hard for him to accept that this could not be Kurama, he knew that expression. Yet at that time he felt so certain, certain that he was lost for sure.
-“Why don't you…..take care of the remains.” He started walking away from the scene.
-“Kurama where are you going?!”
-“I'm going to hunt.” He said coldly.
-“Why did you do it?! Don't you feel the slightest of regret!?”
-“No Yusuke…..I tried but…..I couldn't find the feeling.”
- (You couldn't…….find the feeling.)
Kurama took one more step when he felt a warm hand grab his wrist.
-“I don't believe that it was you who did it Kurama, whoever I saw that night is not the same person that is standing in front of me now. I can feel that clearly so…..You don't have to apologize for something you haven't done.”
-“You continue to spare me Yusuke………..”
-“That's because no one knows you like I do Kurama.”
-“You are foolish.”
-“Yeah, so live with it.”
-”But I am not living Yusuke.”
Yusuke was silent again but then he managed to smile a bit.
-“I do feel relived. I thought both of you were dead for sure.”
Silence again. Kuramas voice feeling slightly strained.
-“You must stop this foolishness with me Yusuke. Chaotic times are coming and your safety will not be guaranteed. Neither will the safety of those you hold dear.”
-“…………..”
-“Countless kindreds are roaming the city trying to find someplace to shelter before the sun comes up, and they are all trying to find someone to fe-
-“You said ´they´ not ´we´!!” Yusukes face was the closest to happy that Kurama had seen in a few days. And he felt anger rising at this. All of their lives were in danger and if they didn't understand that there was no way they would be spared in the coming time.
-“Yusuke…….. Do I need to instruct you…….. Just how cruel kindred's can be?” Yusuke found himself backing. That was the same expression, that same wicked smile and those same unreadable eyes, the expression that he hade when……when HE killed Kuwabara. In less then a second Yusukes mind saw Kurama fade into darkness and become unreachable for him ones again. This creature, standing in front of him, was most surly, a vampire.
He started walking towards him; Yusuke saw his claw like fingers move, as if prepared to quickly reach for something. For a moment Yusuke was certain that he was going to meet the same fate as Kuwabara and in that second he reached up his finger, preparing his rei-gun. But then he realised what he was doing. A light chuckle came from Kurama.
-“Yes, yes please shoot me!! That would be the best way for me to face absolute death!!” The chuckle almost swelled up into a laughter. Yusuke held down his finger, eyes widening as a helpless and worried expression came over him. What had he just tried doing? Kuramas looked up at him, his face seemed cold but at least gathered up again.
-“The safety of those you hold dear is hanging in the balance Yusuke. Next time you feel like pointing that finger at me. Don't hesitate to shoot.” Yusuke was frozen as Kurama walked pass him and disappeared into the shadows.
---
-“I recognise that uniform.” Hieis voice didn't seem a stranger to the matter.
-“Yes, he must have been from Yusukes school now when I look closer at it.”
-“Does that bother you?”
-“Not the least. I can't view this corpse as human no matter how hard I try.” Kurama let his finger trace the last drop of blood from the victims throat and then lick it up.
-“Aren't you going to search out the other vampires?”
-“You want to see Yina, Hiei?” Hiei quickly looked away when he said this, his reaction showing that he might have wanted to.
-“She is not involved in the matter; if that prince guy is around shouldn't you go see him.”
-“Perhaps I should, but to tell you the truth it is not such a tempting thought.”
-“However vampires are liars.”
-“Most certainly we are.”
-“Then again you were a liar before you became a vampire. Does that mean you speak the truth?”
-“I speak a twisted truth Hiei, a truth that demands reading between the lines.”
-“So you want to see the prince, however you wish not to see the council.”
Kurama nodded then lifted up the corpse to throw it over in a dumpster.
-“The poor student was murdered on his way home, the murder took his money and then he was stabbed with a knife. They'll never find the weapon or the murder.”
-“Most surly never, there is no need for you to create scenarios you will never watch.”
Kurama turned around ready to leave when Hiei spoke up again.
-“I want to fight you Kurama, when all of this is past, I want to fight you.”
-“I have to decline that offer Hiei. My powers are used for murdering, not fighting, I'm not the sparing partner you're searching for.” Hieis face expression showed anger at this.
-“I said you shouldn't be so cocky now when I have my powers back.”
Kuramas face became cold at this comment.
-“If you let me drain you and then have you drink my blood I will rethink the offer.”
-“Are you saying I am below you?” There was clear frustration in Hieis voice. Then he felt a cold hand grab him at the throat and he was quickly pushed up against the wall. Kuramas pitch black eyes staring at him, when he looked into those eyes he saw only suffering, suffering that hade been trapped in the shadows nonetheless.
-“Lasombra.” Hiei hissed at him.
-“Yes.” Kurama nodded slowly. Then he let go of him slowly. “I don't. Want to fight you Hiei.” In the next second Hiei was gone, using his superior speed to disappear from all eyes.
 
 
---------------------------
Chapter finished I already have an idea on what is going to happen next but I'm trying to keep all chapters around the same length as we all know.