Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Live Like You Were Dying ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Note:: Type like this designates a time lapse

And now without any further delay here is the next chapter….

X-X-X-

The next afternoon

Kurama's deep green eyes scanned over the book that sat before him. With a frustrated groan he slammed it shut. This book had been like the other four, helpless!

Biting his lower lip Kurama opened the bottom desk drawer. Slowly, almost timidly, he gave the wooden bottom a swift hit. The front swung up revealing a tiny compartment below the false bottom.

Reaching within its bowels the red headed teen pulled up a dust covered book. This was truly his last resort, for if the answer was not in here then it would be no where.

Carefully, almost sacredly, he wiped away the years worth of dust from the cover revealing gold letters. The bright gold script stretched out reaching across the cover filling the forest green void with an unreadable language. This was the same book that had caused wars between demons. The same book that demons had killed for so that they may just get a chance to touch its velvety covers, and glance at its ethereal intelligence.

Sighing he carefully opened the book, his big innocent green eyes scanning each page. Looking for the one crucial detail that would raise his hopes. The one thing that would turn his luck around.

Pale lips moved silently as his tired eyes read each line. Carefully he researched every detail with excruciating meticulousness.

Reaching the last page the red head slammed the cover. It had been of no help. There was truly nothing that could be done for him and his tumor.

`I'm really dead. There is nothing else to it.' The butterflies that had resided just yesterday in his stomach now lived within his heart. For he could feel them taking out their revenge for being tossed and turned yesterday. They tugged at his heart making the beholder wish that it would just stop.

Only if his heart would cease to beat. Then there would be no pain. Silently he prayed that the maker above would just reach down with his mighty hand and hold his heart. Just make it stop its rapid beat and let his soul finally have peace. He should have never tried to cheat death. For all that his life had been since then was hell. He had been living in a living hell silently waiting for his death.

Elbows propped on top of the wooden desk he buried his beautiful face within his soft hands. Kurama bit on his lower lip, he just could not cry. Not now, not when he had so much to do and such little time.

Squeezing his lids tightly two tiny tears fell tracing his cheekbone and traveled to his arm. Quietly they fell upon the jade cover of the book.

Was this truly what he had wanted? After all as a hundreds year old Youko, Kurama knew that all humans- and demons as well- die eventually. He was not just some child that believed that they lived for ever. The second that he became part of Shuuichi, Kurama knew that he signed up to a shorter life span. But he had never expected for it to end so soon. He was still so young, only sixteen years old.

The potted plant on the windowsill seemed to realize the teen's pain, for it reached out its long velvety green and blue stem towards him. The tiny Indian red clay pot seemed to be a hindrance for it. For that one thing kept the plant from his suffering friend.

At that one second both fox and human seemed to each other then ever before. They both now wept with sorrow at their fate.

Why did the doctor have to make it sound so hopeless. Why could he not had just tell the boy that everything had been fine and give him some medicine. Kurama still wished with all of his aching heart that he was still blind. He still wanted to believe that the dizziness and fainting was due to stress. The migraine strength aches were still just migraines.

Growling Kurama planted his pale thin hands upon the edge of his desk. Pushing away from the desk Kurama stood staring at the books. The same ones that had been useless. A tiny tear clung to his cheek refusing to fall any further.

His heart raced faster as he stared loathingly at the books before him. Anger coursed his veins and his head felt as though it could pop. Screaming he threw the books across the room. A blue one slammed against the wall falling behind his bed. While a red one flew out the open window slamming into the bushes across the lawn. A burgundy one slid along the floor. The brown encyclopedia of plants flew slamming against the door. And the coveted book, well it landed safely upon the green comforter on the bed.

Even still now, with the books gone, anger still coursed just as powerfully as before. Turning Kurama released his anger upon the pictures that hung upon his wall.

X-X-X-

On the floor of the bathroom, Shiori sat with her knees tucked under her chin. She cringed with each crash from above. She was not blind, deaf or dumb; she knew what was happening above her. Tears fell from the red streaked, puffy brown eyes. After all had she not taken part in this activity whenever her son was at school. Would he not wonder silently every day why one more fragile thing was broken?

Inside she hurt like never before. She wanted to take away this harsh reality. Even if it meant that she would be lying on the cold hospital bed once again. But she was only human not any sort of god.

Another loud crash caused the grieving mother to scream into her knees. Plugging her ears she silently lowered herself to the floor. Lying curled up in a fetal position she slowly rocked her upper body. Tears flowed freely from her beautiful face.

X-X-X-

Back against the snow white door Kurama slid down exhausted. He no longer had the strength to stand.

His room looked as though a third world war had erupted, along with two volcano eruptions and five hurricanes. The only thing that was not overturned was a heavy, brown, wooden desk.

Two silver tears fell from his face as he reached up into his hair. Clenching his hand tightly into a perfectly rounded fist Kurama weighed his options. There were not many left. And time was running out.

He knew, just then he knew what he had to do. Opening his hand Kurama stared as a tiny yet sharp leaf dagger formed. He was not going to wait for a month to die. Kurama would rather die by his hand then by the hands of this horrid tumor.

Closing his green eyes Kurama slowly placed the razor sharp blade upon his wrist. Biting his pale lower lip Kurama silently said a quick little prayer, `Have mercy on my soul.'

Pressing a little harder the glistening blade made a shallow cut causing blood to slowly seep up.

X-X-X-

-looks up at the story- This was actually a sadder chapter then what I at first thought of making. Defiantly a different ending on this chapter. Guess the loss of my car is making me just a little depressed right now. Not only that but a horrible cliffhanger too. I guess I'm just mean today.

Oh well, please review…the next chapter should be up tomorrow or the day after (for real this time)