Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Memories ❯ The Enigma Returns ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kurama was in his room, working on his homework. On the corner of his desk, tempting him, was a small battered book that had been given him a week ago by an enigma of a girl. He had read parts of it, finding it a fascinating blend of pithy comments about various things and people, some even famous in his western history books. He had not begun to understand some of the spells and other workings in it, however. He suddenly had the feeling that someone was in his room with him, which should not be possible. "Fox, I know you know I'm here, so turn and give me the respect I deserve," a voice spoke behind him, one vaguely familiar. He turned and faced the voice owner. The face! It was Loki! And Bekka was in his arms, unconscious. She looked battered and her aura was very dim.

"What have you done to her, Loki?" he demanded.

"Don't be stupid, Fox. I did not do this to her. She had just finished a game when this happened," Loki spat at him.

"Why did you let it happen, Loki?" There had to be a reason, didn't there?

Loki glared fiercely at the demon-boy, his mouth working viciously. "I am not a prophet, stupid fox. I am a god, not all gods. I do have limits! I knew she had enemies, but they concealed their strength. I can't even reach her mind," the god seemed distressed to have to admit his limits.

"Why did you bring her here? What do you think a mere demon can do for her?"

"She respects you. You can help her."

"What do you mean she respects me? How can I help her?" this was getting weird. It was totally unlike the last time they met. Why did he care?

"She left you that book," Loki pointed at the battered volume, "she wouldn't have if she didn't respect you. She's been keeping it long enough that there has to be an answer in it." He put Bekka's limp form on Kurama's bed. "You will help her, Fox."

"Why don't you, Loki? And, by the way, my name is Kurama, not Fox."

"Your body's name is Suichi, boy, but you are a fox demon. I cannot help her if I cannot reach her mind. In that book, there may be a way to do that."

:"Don't you know?" Kurama shot back, feeling very uncomfortable. He was beginning to understand some of Bekka's attitude toward Loki.

"Fox, I have already told you enough! You will help her or there will be consequences."

"Another game, Loki?"

"For higher stakes than any she's ever played," Loki nailed Kurama with a glare that would have quite probably killed a mortal. "You do understand, don't you?"

Images began to flash through Kurama's mind. Images of the human world being completely over taken by demons. Images of his fate at the hands of those demons, watching his friends suffer and die before he was killed. At stake was the entire world. He nodded, unwilling to trust his voice to answer.

"Good, I'm glad you understand. I'll be watching." With that, Loki vanished.

Okay, here's another start….I hate my muse….he's not helping me on my other in progress story….nooooo…he's gotta give me new ideas…I think he likes to torment poor Bekka (I wonder if Loki is my muse….*shudder*). Should this continue? I knew it's a short intro, but it lays the foundation of the story. Let me know, `kay? :D