Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Morbid Identity Crisis ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Morbid Identity Crisis

By Shizuru of the Darkness Flame

Hello! I'm back with another angsty-ish fanfic! ::sweatdrop:: and so soon, too. My angst muse is staying for quite a while, I suppose... Too bad, though, my humor muse seems to be missing. KiwiChan, where art thou?!

KiwiChan - ::off in the Bahamas, lying down on a towel at a sandy beach, drinking mango juice in a hollow coconut with a little umbrella inside::

-.-;; lucky one. I still have some time until my vacation... Anyways, I'd like to thank an author on FanFiction.net, Kuwabaralover, for writing the story (called Dame Yume - read it, it's very good) that gave me the inspiration to write this fanfic! This one's very different from her one, though. ^^

OK, I'll shut up now, and get on with the prologue...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ < p class="MsoNormal">

Silvery moonlight crept through the window of his room as Kurama stared at his reflection in the mirror. He gazed in wonder at his manifestation: a fifteen year old boy with long, crimson locks, large, forest green eyes and a slender, yet slightly muscular figure. He slowly lifted his hand to the mirror and touched it.

Is... Is this really me?

A little more than a decade back, Kurama's soul entered this weak, human body. At first, he thought this 'arrangement' was only going to be temporary. He thought he would be rid of the fragile, pathetic form in no time. But as years passed, Kurama started getting accustomed to the human way of life. Hence, he had not left the body yet. But only recently... Only recently, when he started having those odd, frightening dreams, did Kurama actually think about it.

Exactly... Exactly who am I? Am I Suuichi, the human, a member of the Reikai Tantei, or am I the legendary bandit Youko Kurama?

Sighing in confusion, Kurama closed his eyes and shook his head from side to side slowly, for once feeling completely lost. He never had trouble with this sort of thing before... So why now? Why now, of all times, did he start having those horrible, haunting dreams, making him question who and what he was? Why did he suddenly start feeling so puzzled, so utterly perplexed? He hated feeling helpless... He was so used to having everything under control, and now that he didn't... He felt awfully unsure, as if some dark shadow would swallow him up any moment now. Kurama opened his eyes, and put a hand on his forehead. It was hot. Hot, and covered with perspiration. Trudging to his bed, he thought, I'm probably just a little sick. This'll all be fine after I get some sleep... Climbing onto it, he pulled up his sheets, got under them, and placed his head lightly on his pillow. I'll be OK tomorrow...

Suuichi Minamino/Human Kurama, the top student at Meiou High, probably the smartest member of the Reikai Tantei, and possibly one of the best strategists out there, couldn't have possibly been more wrong.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ < p class="MsoNormal c21">

Well... That was the prologue! ::sweatdrop:: short, but the chapters will get longer, I promise. Please review!