Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Dragons ❯ And so it begins... ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was just another normal day in the Makai. Everyone was minding their own business, doing their own thing. The bandits were out searching for a new place to plunder and no place looked better than the Palace of the Dragons. It was said that there was a great treasure hidden inside, but no one knew what it looked like or even what it was. And there were only two bandits brave enough to try and find out. Yoko Kurama and Yomi were two of the most ruthless bandits in Demon World and they were willing to try and raid the Great Palace. They were already on the border, camping for the night. Yomi looked up at the Palace, a hungry look in his eye. “So when do we raid it?” Yoko calmly stirred the small fire.
 
“Patience Yomi. We need to make a plan first. It is extremely dangerous to go rushing into a fight here. Dragons are deadly fighters. This time we shall go by stealth.” Yomi snorted in frustration.
 
“But a dragon would make an excellent trophy.”
 
“No Yomi.” Yoko's command was calm, yet fierce. It brought the fiery goat back down. “We will not rush into this.” The goat demon sat back down to listen to the plan, still seething that he could not hunt a dragon.
 
The next morning, the small band of thieves prepared to enter the Palace. When they finally breached the walls of the keep, even Yomi stayed quiet. The aura of power felt around the building was threatening enough to make them want to turn back. But Yoko pressed them on. The supposed treasure room was nearly unguarded, but with how strong the guards were, it didn't matter. They could easily dispatch any demon that dared to try and enter. Yoko motioned for the plan to begin and two demons snuck around to create a diversion. The loud crash drew the guards away long enough for Yoko and Yomi to slip into the room. But what they found was no treasure hoard of gold, nor a shimmering fountain of diamonds. In fact, the room was almost completely empty. There was no decoration to speak of on the white walls except on the other side of the room. And even that wasn't much. A life-sized statue of a dragon in flight made entirely of gold was perched on a rock with its right claw extended to the ground. But what was in the claw surprised them the most. A young woman lay on her side with not but a sheet covering her. Her golden skin was slick with a recent sweat and her sleek hair was splayed across the claw in a mess. She didn't stir as the two thieves approached the statue. It was almost as if she were dead save for the slight rise and fall of her breathing.
 
Yomi snorted. “This is what we're after? A brothel girl?” Yoko glared at him.
 
“Hush Yomi. There might be more to this than we know. Look at her closely. The color of a dragon's eyes and hair give away what type they are. See the golden color? This is not a brothel girl.” The girl's eyes fluttered slightly at the sound of voices and she sighed. The two thieves froze as she sat up, the sheet pulled around her to hide her nude form. She looked at the demons in mild surprise. Almost like she didn't care if they were in the room.
 
“Who are you?” Her voice was soft and comforting. Yoko and Yomi relaxed slightly, no longer afraid.

“We are two humble bandits, my lady.” Yoko said with a bow. “We heard rumors of a great treasure hidden here and wish to find it.” A slight smile crossed the girl's face and she laughed. It was a crystal sound to the thieves' ears.
 
“Then you have found the treasure. I am the thing they guard so carefully.” Yomi was skeptical.
 
“Why would they guard something like you?” Yoko turned to hit Yomi for being so disrespectful, but the girl stopped him.
 
“No. It's all right. I know it's hard to believe. They guard me because I am the last remaining Golden Queen alive.” Yoko looked shocked, surprised and pleased all at the same time.
 
“A Golden Queen then, eh?” He asked, now in his thieving mode.
 
“Yes. I am.”
 
“How do they keep you here? Your type are supposed to the strongest dragons alive.” Yomi's punishment was swift this time. He held the sore spot between his horns where Yoko had pummeled him.
 
“Keep your voice down. Do you want them to hear us?” The dragon sighed and lifted her wrists. They were shackled to the statue's claw.
 
“My power is bound. I cannot escape. I've tried.” She said sadly. Yoko saw the strong spells carved into the metal and began to pity this poor creature before him.
 
“Why do they keep you like this?”
 
“They only want me for the breeding sessions. But so far, it has all been in vain. I have not laid a single egg since this torture began.”
 
“So they simply use you over and over again?” Yomi questioned. She nodded.
 
“Yes. And there are six sons in the royal family. The first one who can create a child with will be the next ruler.” Yoko then turned to Yomi.
 
“We will take her with us.”
 
“What!” The goat whispered fiercely. “Yoko, we came here for gold. Not a—“
 
“She's coming with us. Someday you will understand what is more important.” Yoko moved towards the claw so he could pick up the girl after he cut her chains with his rose whip. “Would you rather come with us and be free from all this?” She looked surprised.
 
“Free? You mean…no more of these useless sessions? And I can go wherever I want?”
 
“Yes. Just take my hand and I will lead you out. What is your name?” He asked as he held out his hands to her. She slowly reached out to touch them.
 
“I am Syolikalenshi. But you may call me Syo.”