Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Dragons ❯ Now to the Present ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-Nearly 1000 Years Later-
 
Koenma had called an emergency meeting in his office in Spirit World. Yusuke, Kuwabara, Hiei, and Kurama were all standing in front of his desk waiting for their orders. And, as usual, Yusuke was growing impatient. “So what are we here for this time, pacifier breath?” Koenma was surprisingly patient with the insults.
 
“I have called you here for a very important reason. There is unrest in the Dragon's Keep.” A picture came up on the screen behind Koenma of a large castle built into a mountain surrounded by lava pits. Large beasts flew around the castle in great formations, guarding from intruders. “Several of the royal sons have killed themselves off in battle, but the two strongest remain.” Two profiles came up of fierce looking men. Their clothing was rough and dirty. Both had green hair except that the one on the left wore his down to his shoulders and the other wore it in a high ponytail that ran down to his waist. The one on the right had a large scar running across his face. The one on the left bore a tattoo of a flame blazing across his cheek and down his neck. Their eyes were hard and cruel, but both of different colors. Scar face had deep, forest green eyes while Tattoo had steely gray. But there was something strange about Tattoo. His mouth was twisted into a horrible insane grin that scared even Hiei. “These two are the main rulers. They have agreed on a truce until they find their missing treasure.” Hiei stared critically at the two.
 
“What are their names?” He asked, still watching the screen.
 
“I knew you'd ask that.” Koenma said with a hint of disappointment. “I can never get dragon names right. Let's see.” He shuffled through some papers for a minute and came up with the one he needed. “Here it is. The one on the right is Orinakilanka. Also known as Ori. The one on the left is Kenjinashen. Also known as Kenji.” Kuwabara snorted.
 
“Humph. Why do they have to have such weird names?” Kurama spoke for the first time since they had arrived.
 
“It is custom for them to do this. Each name means something different. For instance, Orinakilanka means `fighter of the sun'. And Ori alone means `sun'.” Everyone stared at Kurama for a moment. But he went back to his quiet standing, his flame red hair falling into his eyes as he looked at the floor.
 
“You seem to know a lot about dragons, Kurama.” Koenma said as he pulled another picture on the screen. This time it was of a young woman with golden skin and hair. Her eyes were kind and warm as she smiled. Much different from the other two. Yusuke and Kuwbara both whistled as Hiei began studying it. Kurama looked up and his eyes widened in surprise.
 
“Syolikalenshi.” He whispered. No one heard him as Koenma continued.
 
“This is what they are looking for. Syolikalenshi, the only Golden Queen in existence. She is vital to the survival of the royal family. She went missing almost one thousand years ago before a child could be conceived and a leader chosen.” Yusuke looked confused.
 
“What do you mean `before a child was conceived'? What does that have to do with choosing a leader?”
 
“Well, Yusuke, The former ruler of the Dragon's Keep had six sons with his Queen. Usually only one egg survives, but this time was different. All of the eggs survived. And all of the sons had the same amount of power which meant that a fight was out of the question. So, they searched for weeks until they found a young Queen. She wasn't fully developed so they locked her away, sealing her power to keep her from escaping. When she was old enough, the six sons began to use her continually to see who could create an egg. The son who could conceive with her first would be the next ruler. But they spent years trying without success. Just when they were about to try some type of fertilization drugs, she disappeared. They still aren't sure how she escaped, but they know she had help of some kind. And now, the two leaders are getting restless. They are tiring of their concubines and want to return to what they had before. It is the only way to settle on one ruler.”
 
“So what do we do about it?” Yusuke asked, thourghly disgusted with the way things worked in the Dragon's Keep. Koenma sighed and shut down his screen.
 
“Ori and Kenji have asked us to help find Syolikalenshi. They believe she is hiding somewhere in the demon half of the Makai but dragons are not allowed to cross the borders any longer. Therefore they cannot search.” Finally, Koenma noticed that something was wrong with Kurama. He was standing almost in a trance, muttering something under his breath.
 
“Kurama?” The human looked up suddenly, almost surprised to be standing there. “Is something wrong?” He quickly shook his head to clear it.
 
“N-no Koenma. I'm just fine. I got lost in thought is all.” Koenma nodded and handed a file to the Spirit Detective.
 
“All right then. Good luck. You'll all need it. You leave tomorrow. Go prepare for a long trip.” They all nodded and began filing out of the office. Jr. caught Hiei before he could get to the door. “Keep an eye on Kurama. He looks like he might know something.” Hiei nodded.
 
“Fine.” And then the fire demon was gone. Koenma sat back in his chair to think. Was this all going to work out? He didn't want to send the Queen to this fate, but he didn't have a choice. He could only hope that the rumors about Yoko being the one to kidnap her weren't true. Because then the fox would have to lead them right to her. A beep sounded on the screen behind him and he turned his chair.
 
“On screen.” Orinakilanka and Kenjinashen appeared on the communicator and neither looked happy. Kenji sat on the edge of a table while Ori stood in front of the com. “Ah…Ori, Kenji. I wasn't expecting to hear from you today.”
 
“We're getting impatient, Koenma.” Ori said in his deep, threatening voice. His eyes were seething despite his calm appearance. “You said you would get your detective to help us.”
 
“I just finished briefing them, Ori. They will be on the job by tomorrow.”
 
“They had better be.” Kenji said from his perch. His voice was slightly higher with a hint of sadistic madness. His thin form shook with an insane need. “Kenji has waited long enough. He wants to feel the flesh of a Queen again!” Ori turned to the wrathful dragon. His bigger build scaring the other into submission.
 
“Calm yourself brother. We will have Syolikalenshi soon. Just as Koenma promised. Won't we?” He said, turning back to face Jr.
 
“Yes, Ori. It will be soon.” The communicator then switched off ad Koenma was left alone. He shuddered to think of what might happen if either of those two became the Dragon Leader. Both were powerful and both wanted to break the borders between the demon and dragon realms. That in itself would be a tragedy for the three worlds. But if Kenji took the throne…oh, it was too terrible to think about. There was just something wrong in that dragon's mind. And no one knew for sure what it was. He could only hope that Syo was never found. That, or else dead.