Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ People are Never Who They Appear to Be A Hanyou Story ❯ Talent Show ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Talking” `Thought”
Chapter 14
Talent Show
It was late October, Neko was writing in his journal when a piece of paper slid in front of his face. He read, `Talent Show' and looked up at the person. It was one of the teens that he was teaching martial arts to and he asked the teen, “What's a `Talent Show'?”
“The teen took the paper away and said, “A talent show is a show that is run by Student Council allowing lots of people to go up on stage to perform in front of people. Then the Council decides who wins and you get a prize for winning.”
“No thanks,” as he went back to his journal.
“Neko-kun, come on! You should enter you'd win for sure! Yamakaza-san has a really great performance.”
That caught Neko's attention because he looked up with his eyes and asked, “What type of performance does she do?”
“Some martial arts, it's really cool!”
`Stupid, he has such a short attention span. No wonder he's isn't very good at martial arts,' Neko thought and said, “I'll come to watch.”
“You're in for a real treat, since this is your first talent show.”
“Now go away, no, actually I'll leave,” and he got up and left.
  
Neko had to walk home alone today because Yamakaza wanted to go pick up Kichiro and go to the hospital to see their mother. He decided to wonder around the neighborhood and meet the neighbors. He noticed a young woman looking, very lost, at a street sign and looking at a piece of paper as she held a drawstring bag in her other hand. She was very pretty with her short dark royal blue hair in two little ponytail. What caught is attention about her was that she was wearing a somoyoand a haorithey looked very expensive.
He went to her and asked concerned, “Ma'am, are you lost?”
She looked at him startled and smiled at him, “Yes, unfortunately. I'm new here and I don't know where the market place is. My, you have long hair.”
“I'll take you there if you want me to,” he offered and was very proud that she noticed his now waist long hair. “And thank you.”
She looked at him for a minute and said happily, “If you wouldn't mind.”
“I wouldn't,” as he smiled. He led her to the market and saw the excitement in her eyes when she laid her eyes on it.
He turned to leave when she asked, “You wouldn't mind staying with me, would you?”
He took one look at her face and couldn't say no, “Alright, where would you like to go first?”
“Yah! I want to go . . .” she looked around and saw something she's never seen before. She pointed in a direction as she grabbed his arm and asked, “There! What's that?”
He looked at the colorful tent and said, “It's a carnival, I haven't been to one yet.”
“Yah! Let's hurry!” she held onto his arm and pulled him through the crowd.
Unbeknownst to him Opal happened to be passing by and saw him being dragged along willingly by the girl. She watched them curiously and decided to see what they were doing.
“By the way, my name's Saigo Made, Neko,” Neko said as he easily jogged behind as she still held his arm, “What's your name?”
“It's Murase, Sachi,” she told them as they reached the gate. She watched as several people in front of her paid for tickets, “Oh no! I don't have any money!”
She heard Neko as she turned to him as he took out his wallet, “Don't worry, I'll get it.”
“B-”
“Nah-ah! I insist, besides it's not everyday I meet someone like you who doesn't go all goofy on me,” he joked as he stepped to the ticket booth. “Two adults.”
“Here you go, sir,” said the ticket booth man as he handed Neko the tickets.
“Thank you,” as he took them and held out his arm, “Shall we?”
“You're so sweet!” exclaimed Sachi as she took it as she giggled.
By the end of the afternoon they went to every ride and booth. Neko had shown her his strength on several occasions in strength games and won prizes for her, Yamakaza, and Kichiro. While Sachi had shown her bravery by going through several rides that other girls would scream and cry on, like the ride that straps you to the wall and spins you around and the fun house. Neither of them noticed Opal was following them throughout the day. Neko paid for everything since Sachi didn't have any money, but not because he was being a gentleman but because he had a lot of money for cleaning the house for Kudaku, he really liked Sachi as a friend and he had a weakness when it came to them. They stood in line for the furriest wheel as they ate ice-cream and talked.
“Are you seeing anyone?” Sachi asked as she looked at him.
“No, not really,” he answered casually.
“Who do you live with?”
“I live with one of my friend's friend family. She's very nice and understanding. She has a little brother, her aunt lives with them, and her father but we don't see must of him. I haven't even met him yet.”
She stopped eating and stayed silent as she looked at the ground.
Neko looked at her concerned asked, “What's wrong?”
“I knew how she feels . . . I barely get to see my father. He's always busy with politics and it's so annoying. My little sister loves politics so when I'm old enough I'm going to run away.”
“Next!” they heard the man running the ride call to them.
They got into the cart and waited for the ride to start as the other carts were filled. Sachi suddenly ducked down out of sight as Neko looked at her curiously and then looked out the window. He saw a young man talking to the man helping people into a cart. The man shook his head and said something to him in reply. The young man walked away and continued to look throughout the carnival.
“He's gone,” Neko told her as they moved up again.
She sat up and looked out the window as she smiled when the ride began.
“Who was that?”
“That was my bodyguard. My father insists that I have one but I don't like being followed around by him all the time.”
After a moment he said, “I think it's great you have a father who cares about you. I never knew mine; I got amnesia as a kid and I've never recovered.” Naoko looked at him sadly. “I had to learn everything I know from the wild. I grew up with wolves and after nine years I left them to find my own kind. Once I did they taught me everything I needed to know. I would give anything to know if I had a family.”
“ . . . if you put it that way I should consider myself lucky but I don't. I truly don't want to live the life my family has chosen for me since I was born.”
“I hope you don't mind that I'm using you so I didn't have to take a bath this afternoon. My friend says since I grow up with wolves I must've caught their fleas.”
“Of course I don't, since I was using you so I could get out of my afternoon politic lessons.”
They both began to laugh at each other own plans of getting out of something they hated. Neko suddenly got an idea, “About you come to the school's talent show. My friend is going to be in it.”
“If it's this week I can't, it's only once in a few month I can do this. Once I get back there will be more security.”
“I said I was raised by wolves so I can sneak past anyone.”
“Alright, the night of the show I'll meet you by my window.”
“Alright, here's the flyer,” as he handed her the sheet of paper. “Shall I take you home after this?”
She took it and stuck it into her purse, “I suppose so I haven't been gone this long before. I use to just get lost and try find my way home. My bodyguard would find me within a few hours of my disappearance.”
“What're you going to tell them when you get home?”
“I'll just tell them that I was in my room the whole time. What're you going to tell your friend?”
“I'll tell her that my other friend had me dog piled.”
They both began to snicker then bursted out into laughter and finally fell silent as the ride began. Neko began to flex claws and his hands without even realizing it as he looked out the window until Sachi grabbed his hand. She stared at his nails and finally asked, “You're not ningen are you?”
“No, I'm a hanyou . . .”
She looked up at him, “A hanyou?”
“Hanyou, half youkai, or half-bred doesn't matter what you call me. I've learned to deal with it.”
Suddenly something happened, Sachi's voice softened to a loving mother's voice as she said, “I left far too soon . . .”
“Wha-?”
“My son . . . I can only image what you had to go through after I died. I know that the woman that your father chose for your guardian came to take care of you. I wished that I could live as long as I could've to have protected you . . . you were so young.”
“Sachi . . . ?”
She looked up at him finally with the most gentle of eyes, the same eyes that Mine would give him. She leaned up and kissed him on the cheek as she pulled back she said, “Don't worry, you'll do fine.” She sat back down across from him and then suddenly looked curiously at his stunned face. “What's wrong?”
“Nothing.”
“Those are interesting markings on your face, where'd you get them?”
“I got them from fighting a dog.”
“Why'd you fought a dog?”
“It attacked me first . . .”
  
“Opal,” Yamakaza said as she held her reading glass in her hand and looked at Opal startled. “What're you doing here?”
“I just found Neko doing something very peculiar,” Opal told her.
“What would that be?” as she let the other girl in.
“I saw him go to a carnival.”
“Well, he hasn't been to one yet so I'm surprised but I told him to be at home so I could get him to take a bath! Where is he?”
“Well, he went to the carnival with someone else . . .”
“What do you mean?” she slowly looked at her.
“He was with a girl, probably about the same age as us; they certainly looked like they were having fun.”
Yamakaza looked at her for a moment and said, “It's no big deal I don't care what he does on his free time . . . wait a minute. He's trying to get out of taking a bath!”
“A . . . bath?” Opal asked confused.
“Yes, I swear Neko has fleas from living with wolves! He insists that he doesn't need one but now you can actually start to smell him!”
`Yes, Yama-chan's going to kick his butt! That shows how much she likes him.'
  
Neko stood in an alleyway beside a large politician's western style home wide-eyed and asked Sachi, “This is where you live?”
“Didn't I tell that my dad was a politician?” Sachi asked as she looked at him concerned.
“You did, but I didn't you meant a major politician . . .” he sighed before getting on all fours, “Here get on and hold on tight.”
“Like this?” as she placed her hands onto his shoulder.
“Yeah, now put your legs around my waist like I'm giving you a piggy back ride.”
“Oh . . . like this?”
“Now hold on tight.” Neko jumped into the air over the wall and landed in the garden. “Where's your room?”
“Over there,” she pointed to one of the windows.
He jumped into a tree and onto the small balcony of the window. Sachi easily opened it and was helped into her room. She smiled at him and said, “I'll see you when you come to pick me up.”
“See you then,” before you jumped into the tree again to watch her close her window. He ran across the top of the wall and he suddenly heard a bang. He tumbled off the wall as something was pierced through the skin of his thigh. He hit the cement hard and that added additional pain to the one going through his leg.
He heard men yelling, “I saw him fall over here!”
Neko held onto his leg as he struggled to stand, he placed his arm in front of his eyes as a blinding light his face.
“Don't move!” He jumped onto a roof and ran as he heard the men yelling at him, “Stop! Hey you!”
By the time he was half-way to the house he had taken so many twists and turns he lost them. He stopped and took a look at his leg. The bleeding had stopped and he was regretting to pull out whatever it was in the wound. He winced as he dug his claws into the wound causing it to bleed again. He touched something metallic with his nail; he put his nails around it, and pulled it out. He looked at it oddly before he just threw it onto the ground. He waited a minute for the wound to heal before heading back to the house.
He walked into the house and heard the angry voice of Yamakaza, “Where have you been?”
He looked at her and chuckled as tried to lie, “Well, I just lost track of time. You see I went out with Izu and-”
“Don't give me that crap! Opal saw you go to the carnival with some girl! I don't mind what you do on your free time but you're not getting out of a bath!”
“No . . . No bath!” he cried out as he tried to back away until Yamakaza tackled him.
Yamakaza put a collar on him that shrink forcing him into his cat form and she grabbed his scruff to pick him up underneath the pile of clothes as she said; “Now it'll be easier to give you your flea bath.”
He tried to swipe at her face but she held him out far away from her. He started yelling at her as she headed to the bathroom. An hour later she finished giving him the bath, she took off the collar, and quickly turned away from him. Neko changed back into his humanoid form as he kept his back to her.
The next day at lunch, Izu came over to Neko, who skipped his classes to go to the park, and handed him a strange looking fruit, it looked like a pear but it was purple. “Here, Mine-san came to me yesterday and gave me them. She said that to give one to you,” Izu told him.
“Obviously, or else she wouldn't have given it to you,” Neko said annoyed as he bit into the fruit.
“What's wrong?”
“Yamakaza gave me wasn't called a flea bath yesterday and now she says that I need to go to what she calls a dentist.”
“Ah, yes the dentists . . . make sure they don't give the laughing gas.”
“Laughing gas,” as he looked up.
“It's to numb you so they can pull out or fill in a tooth.”
“Sounds like funny,” as he went back to reading his book on the grass and ate his pear.
“If you say so, see you later,” Izu waved.
“See ya,” he answered back.
  
Natashi sat on a bench in front a ramen shop as she waited for someone. A girl walked past her and dropped a flyer in her lap. She folded up the flyer once she read it and stuck it into her pocket. She couldn't wait until the end of the week to come.
  
Neko jumped to Sachi's window and tapped on it and for her to come to the window. She opened it and smiled at him. He noticed that she was wearing the set of clothes that he took from Yamakaza's closet, blue jeans and flowery t-shirt. He turned around and let her climb onto his back before he jumped into the tree. He then headed to the school and they watched all the other talents.
Neko suddenly heard Opal slightly aggravated, “Who's your girlfriend?”
“Opal!” he cried as he turned to the left to see her sitting beside him and then was hushed by people around him. He whispered to her, “Don't do that! And she's not my girlfriend! I just met her on my way home.”
Opal started to say when music started to play, `Beethoven Virus' from Dance Dance Revolution. Yamakaza began to her routine by doing back flips onto the stage wearing her black shinobi shozoku. She landed perfectly in the center of the stage and reached into the hoister on both of her. She pulled out four shurikens in each hand and threw them towards the audience. Some people screamed as they flew over their heads before hitting four targets at the end of the auditorium.
Just as everyone turned back to her Yamakaza pulled out her Sais as the music changed to `I Wanna Know' by AI. She began to spin and do elaborate moves with them. Through one third of the song she threw them high into the air and flipped backwards behind the curtains behind her. After a minute she did front flips back through the curtains and two thin shiny objects fell from above. The sound of metal sliding against metal was heard throughout the room as she opened the fans up.
She began to show off her moves and how fast she could be with them but Neko caught the scent of the girl. He chuckled slightly as he realized that it wasn't really Yamakaza up on stage. It was now two thirds of the song gone when the girl threw the tessens high into the air again and back flipped off the right wingof the stage. Once again new weapons fell from above as Yamakaza this time front flipped onto the stage but this time from the left wing of the stage. She caught the quill and hoisted it onto her shoulder as she caught the bow.
She quickly pulled out one arrow and aimed it at a target on stage that no one noticed until then. She hit the outside of the target and then suddenly pulled out three arrows. She released and the middle arrow hit the bully's eye as the other two hit the marks beside it. Then she bowed as the song came to its' end and walked off stage.
  
Kurama was walking home from the talent show when he suddenly heard a man yelling at someone, “You bitch! Where the hell do you think you're going?”
“Home! Ya baka!” yelled a woman.
Kurama turned the corner and saw Yamakaza fighting a gangster man, `What the?'
“No you're not!” and the man slapped her across the face making her fall to the ground as the sound of the slap resounded.
“Get away from her!” Kurama commanded as he stepped forward.
“What are you going to do about it?” the man asked him.
Yamakaza looked at him surprised as if no one had ever done what he was doing before for her. He didn't understand why he had helped her lots of times before. Kurama suddenly noticed the man pull out a knife and began to charge at him. Yamakaza swiped kicked him while Kurama disabled the man of his knife. He realized that the woman wasn't Yamakaza when she kicked the man in the stomach and yelled, “Ya better stay out of my way next time or else I won't be easy on ya!”
The man struggled away as the woman turned to Kurama. He stupidly said, “You're not Yamakaza-san . . .”
“Well, duh! I don't even know who she is!” she lied as she turned around to walk away.
“Hey, you're the girl from the first year of high school Yamakaza-san's cousin.”
She continued to walk and waved to him without turning to him. He heard Yamakaza laughing as she and the others as they came out of the auditorium. He ran over to her and asked, “Yamakaza-san, do you have a cousin that looks like you?”
She stared at him for a minute and finally smiled as she whispered in his ear, “I do but we're not really close. We just help each other out. Seeya'll tomorrow.”
 
Somoyo is a decorative pattern fully covering the kimono.
Haori is what is worn over a kimono when stepping out of the house.
This strange fruit that looks like a pear but it was purple is what my wolf demon eats this fruit to ward off fleas and demon fleas. They eat it every five years.
On the wings of a theatre it's always the audiences' point of view not the actors.