Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ People are Never Who They Appear to Be A Hanyou Story ❯ Unbelievable Week ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Talking” `Thought”
Chapter 20
Unbelievable Week
Kichiro was surprised when none of the bullies tried to push him around when he got to school. It was strange that they wouldn't bug him just after one punch. Jade came up to him and asked him, “Kichiro-kun, did you hear?”
“Hear what?” he asked confused.
“The bully you punched was expelled.”
“Is that why all the bullies are avoiding me?”
“Yeah, they said that because they beat on you all of the time they thought that you finally told on them.”
“But I didn't tell anyone and that never stopped them before.”
“No, it's because of the look you had in your eyes that scared them.”
“What look?”
“You had a blank stare like you didn't even care that you hurt someone.”
“That the stare my sister gives when she hurts someone that is when they deserve it or when she's sparring with big brother.”
“I thought you only had a sister.”
“I call Neko-kun that because he's like my big brother.”
In class they were told to write an essay about their idol and why they idolize them at the end of the week they would read it out loud to the class. So during recess Kichiro and Jade were thinking about who their idols were. It was hard for Kichiro to decide between his sister and Neko and had to ask the Abukara-sensei if he could do both. She said it was alright as long as he didn't make it too long. After school Jade and Kichiro went to his house to go straight to work on their essays.
Yamakaza had placed the Illusion jutsu on herself when they came home with Neko and was quite surprised that Kichiro was so urge to write an essay. But she was distracted when she met Jade when she asked if there were any snacks. When Yamakaza brought up some onigiri and some juice for them and was very surprised that Kichiro hadn't crumpled up one sheet of paper like he usually did. Instead he sat at his desk with several sheets of paper around him as he continued to work on one new sheet of paper while he looked at the others once in a while. She set the juice and the onigiri on the night stand before leaving the room.
Yamakaza sat on the couch cross stitching while Neko sat on the floor playing Tetris with his unfinished school work scattered around. They suddenly heard Jade and Kichiro scream and they were both in the room in no time.
“What's wrong?” Yamakaza asked as she saw Kichiro and Jade by the door holding each other fearfully.
“My CD player is sliced in half!” Kichiro cried.
Yamakaza looked over at the desk where the CD player usually sat and he was right it was sliced in half. Neko went over and examined it. He went to the window and it looked like he was talking to someone.
Kichiro went to his desk and whined, “Aw man, it me so long to get the money to buy that, too.”
“It's okay Ki-chan,” Yamakaza told him, “You might get one for your birthday or New Years.”
“It won't be the same though and my favorite CD was in it too. Now what are we going to listen to while we do our homework?”
“You can use my CD player,” she told him cheerfully, “I rarely use it anyways.”
“Thanks . . .”
  
Kichiro looked down at his essay suddenly unsure that he should've done his essay on someone else. There was no way out of it now since he already showed Abukara-sensei two days ago.
Abukara-sensei called out, “Idane Iemochi-kun please present your essay.”
“Yes, Abukara-sensei,” he answered as he stood up while he picked up the three papers on his desk. He put a photo of Yamakaza and Neko on the board before he turned to the class and started to read his essay. At the end everyone looked at him stunned even Jade who hadn't even heard it. He quickly took down his pictures and handed the essay to Abukara-sensei before taking his sit.
  
Yamakaza and Neko came into Kichiro's classroom where Abukara-sensei was waiting for them. They sat down in the chairs in front of her desk and Abukara-sensei asked, “Did either of you two help Kichiro with his essay?”
They looked at each other andshook their heads as Yamakaza answered, “No, he usually asks me for help. But this time he wanted to do this on his own.”
“Well, he has been improving a lot since your family took in Saigo Made-kun. It's hard to believe that he's the same shy little boy at the beginning of the school year.”
“What do you mean by that?” Neko asked curiously.
“Well maybe you should read this,” as she leaned over to hand them Kichiro's essay.
Yamakaza and Neko read it silently:
“Idol, such a simple word and when people hear it they think of a rock star or supermodel but most of them do bad things on their free time and yet people still idolize them. Very few people ever think about a common person being an idol. Not me, I chose to stick to tradition and honor. Sure it's old fashion but that's what my life revolved around ever since I was born. Aside from a few rock bands that I look up to I have something better than them.
“My idol, no, I have two idols in my life and they both live in my home. My first idol is my older sister, Yamakaza-san, because she knows how it feels to be left out. She tries everyday to stay the way she even as people try to force her to change. Yamakaza-san even goes out of her way to help people who really need her help. But the most impressive thing that she does is that even on the craziest of days she always finds a way to take me to school, makes sure I have a lunch or money, goes to her own classes, then picks me up from school, and goes to the hospital to visit our mother when she can. Finally helps me with my homework, makes sure I had dinner and tucks me into bed while she sings or reads me to sleep.
“My other idol is Neko-kun he may not be the best person to look up for school related issues because he was raised up wolves. The only reason he doesn't do will in school is because he doesn't understand what they're talking about. He encourages me to do my best in whatever I do no matter what it is. He's been teaching me all kinds of stuff of how he survived in the wild with his pack. Neko-kun may not look like he was the type of person to lose everything he once held dear but he did and still he has the will to live his life. It's like “Famous Last Words” by the American band `My Chemical Romance'; he still moves on his life no matter what life throws at him. He's always looks out for the people that are weaker than him even if he doesn't know them and that makes him the much gallant person I know.
“This two people are my idols because they're the only ones who have encouraged me on doing what I love to do. My sister encouraging me not to be tied down by either my father's dreams or my mother's traditions like she has been by our mother, she only tells me to do what I do best. Neko-kun is like a brother that I never had he's the one that teaches me all the cool things in life that no one would ever think of and teaches me self-defense and hand-to-hand combat. They're the only people who ever seen the person deep inside of me that is brave enough to stand up for myself but I was too afraid to show it and they changed me for the best. They're the two people who we really need more of in this world.”
Yamakaza and Neko looked at each other and then at Abukara-sensei who sat there watching them calmly. It was Yamakaza who said, “My . . . brother wrote this?”
“He did,” Abukara-sensei told them, “I was planning on putting his essay into the National Inspirational Essay Scholarship.”
“Th-the National In-inspirational Essay . . . Scholarship . . .”
“What's that?” Neko asked dumbly.
“It's like what it sounds like you baka,” Yamakaza said harshly.
“Oh . . .” still confused.
“When is this it?” she asked Abukara-sensei.
“Not until spring,” she told her.
“Alright, I'll talk to my father and Kichiro-kun about it. Thank you, Abukara-sensei,” as she stood up and bowed followed by Neko.
“You're welcome,” as she returned the bow.
They left the classroom and Neko asked again, “What is a scholarship?”
“A scholarship is like a contest that many people try to get but very few people get.”
“Is it that important?” he asked out of curiosity.
“Yes, it helps pay for college expenses and college isn't cheap.”
“By the way when am I going to meet your father?”
“I think in a few days, not that I really care. He's always away on business trips.”
“I hope he likes me . . .”
“Don't count on it!”
“Why not?”
“He wants me and Kazuki-kunto marry and he's been at trying to convince me since I became sixteen. But I've been refusing him and I told my father that there's no way I'll marry Kazuki.”
They came to the house and saw another car in the drive way. Neko heard Yamakaza heavily sigh and said, “Let me guess that's your father's.”
“Yup, well, we mine as well get this over with.” She opened the door and called, “We're home!”
“Welcome, you two come sit down for a snack,” aunt Kudaku wisely suggested to them.
“We're . . . you two?” they heard a middle-aged man's voice ask.
“Good afternoon, father,” Yamakaza said politely to her father as she bowed to him when she entered the kitchen.
Neko wisely followed and greeted her father politely with a bow, “Good afternoon, Idane Iemochi-kun.”
“. . . who is he?” Akio demanded as he looked at him.
“I'm Saigo Made Neko-”
“Yamakaza-san, I thought you said you weren't dating . . .”
“I'm not!” she exclaimed rather rudely. “Neko-kun grew up in the wild, I found him, and he needed a place to stay. I volunteered because . . . Iand everyone else in this house needed a man who would stay loyal to the people who he cares about!”
Neko slowly straightened up as he noticed that Yamakaza wasn't holding back her displeasure for her father. He thought that her father was going to deal with her calmly until he saw the man's stand up and his hand heading towards her face. Neko was suddenly in front of her and instead of catching the father's hand he let it hit his own face. He felt his cheek tingle on the spot where the Idane Iemochi's hand landed but stood still. He knew that he most likely was now the enemy of Idane Iemochi but he didn't regret stepping in front of Yamakaza.
“What do you think you're doing?” Idane Iemochi demanded of Neko.
“Sorry, but I can't allow you to hurt Yamakaza-san's like that even if she is your daughter,” Neko told him as he looked at him squarely in the eyes. “I believe that a man should never hurt a woman like that,wife or daughter. Yamakaza-san is my friend I'll never let a man hurt her like that.”
“You talk as if my daughter's your wife! What gives you-”
“Since I became her friend!” he immediately stopped the other man. “There are many people I knew who hurt their wives' and daughters' and they were hurt so bad that they were killed by the injuries. Forgive me I'llnever meet your expectations because I'll never lower my standards and beliefs to yours!”
Yamakaza and Kudaku stared at Neko is disbelief that he actually answered Idane Iemochi like that, no one spoke to him like that only Yamakaza and her mother.
He bowed again to the man and took Yamakaza's hand as he said, “We need to do our homeworknow.”
Yamakaza followed his gentle pull as he led her to her room. She finally whispered, “I can't believe you stood up to my father like that.”
He whispered back with a small smile, “Do you really think I'd stand by as you slapped by your father? I have my honor of a samurai to uphold.”
They stepped into her room and she closed her door as she asked, “You're not really planning on doing your homework are you?”
“. . . No.”
“I knew it you were just trying to get away from my father.”
“If you want to change I can hide in the closet or blindfold myself and hide under your bed,” he joked as he pointed the different directions.
Yamakaza laughed and said, “That's okay, I wear my shinobi shozoku under this. It has shorter sleeves and leggings.” She then proceeded to slip out of her uniform not knowing that Neko suggestion was more for his comfort than her own. “I soon found out that when I first fought at this school that I needed to wear stuff under the uniform to keep guys from looking under the skirt or prevent youkais from seeing.”
He blushed and quickly looked out her window.
“Ooh, you meant that for your own comfort. Well, you don't have to worry Neko-kun really just take a look.”
He slowly dared to look and saw she was right it was just a shorter version of the full shinobi shozoku. It still made him uncomfortable since he could see ever curve of her body.
“Neko-kun lets arm wrestle!”
“Arm what?”
“Arm wrestle let's see who has the strongest arm! I always wanted to see who was the strongest in the arm area since I do a lot of training with my bow!”
“Not today I promised Ki-chan to go meet a friend of mine today.”
“Who?”
Neko's ear twitched as Yamakaza's father stood at the door and he said loud enough for her father to hear, “Oh, Izu-kun knows a famous soccer player and he was coming in to visit him. He asked if Kichiro-kun wanted to meet him.”
  
Kurama came walking into the classroom and saw a big coward of teens standing around one of the desks. He managed to push his way through and saw Yamakaza and Neko were arm wrestling and they were pretty much at a stand still at that particular moment. He could see that both were making an effort of to push the other's arm down but neither were having such luck. Under the sleeves of their uniforms over their upper arms one could barely tell that they each had their own share of upper body strength training.
Kurama could barely tell what the teens were cheering for but it was obvious that it was a battle of the sexes and Yamakaza and Neko were doing the battle. Suddenly both Yamakaza and Neko released each others' hand as they both held their upper arms and grimaced in pain. Everyone sighed in disappointment that they both gave up and heard the sensei, “Class to your seats.”
Suddenly Izu ran into the classroom and right into Neko and several other people.
“Izu-kun you baka!” Neko exclaimed.