Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ People are Never Who They Appear to Be A Hanyou Story ❯ Christmas ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Talking” `Thought”
Chapter 21
Christmas
Neko looked longingly out the window of the Math classroom as the snow fell. He couldn't believe that they had to stay in just because it was snowing. He never stayed inside when it snowed and hated it because he was getting extremely hot with his thickened hair for his winter fur. The bell rings and he slowly follows everyone out of the classroom to go to the next one. He noticed that everyone was cheerful and were giving gifts to one another.
Neko sat next to Kurama and sighed as he set his bag beside his chair and started to take out his journal from his jacket uniform when he suddenly heard a younger classmate say as she bowed quickly and nervously to him, “Neko-senpai, here . . . Merry Christmas!”
He looked up at the girl and saw she was holding out a brightly wrapped package. He curiously looked at it and appreciatively took it from her. He opened the box and saw a hand crafted clay Japanese dragon. He examined it and asked, “Did you make this?”
“Yes,” she answered cheerfully and yet shy-fully, “my family runs a pottery store. It took my ten months to do it.”
“It's wonderful, thank you . . . Merry Christmas.”
The girl blushed and ran out of the room. Neko sighed again she had been the third person to give him a gift for this thing called Christmas. He placed the dragon back into the box when Kurama asked, “Do you even know what Christmas is?”
“No,” as he placed the box in his bag and put a protection spell onto it to keep it from breaking. “What is it, anyway?”
“It's a Christian holiday for someone of their religion. We like the holiday because we can give gifts to people.”
“So it's like New Year's for everyone to give presents than just parents.”
“Yeah, pretty much.”
“Neko-kun!” Opal yelled as she ran up to him with a box, “I got something for you!”
“Oh, no . . .” he took the box and slowly opened it. He let out a shout as fake snakes jumped out at him. He slowly looked at Opal as the snakes fell on top of him. “I loathe you . . .”
“I know!” before going to her seat as Neko put the snakes in the box. Class started and the teacher became annoyed with Neko as he struggled to remove one last snake from his hair.
After school Neko was being dragged along the sidewalk by Yamakaza as he tried to play in the snow. She pulled him into the house and said, “Neko-kun please behave while I go pick up my brother, my father's still here.”
Dows that mean I can't go outside?”
“Yes,” as she left the house.
Neko sighed and watched her leave, he was planning on making some onigiri but when she was out of sight his wild instincts took over. He ran outside without the jacket Yamakaza bought him and tumbled into the snow excitedly. It had been such a long time since he played in the snow, even though it really wasn't since he was at a time still for four hundred and twelve years. He rolled in the snow without a care in the world until he heard Idane Iemochi-kun cough.
He sat up like a dog and rubbed his head smiling, well just a little because he wanted to stay on Yamakaza's fathers' as best as he could. Neko noted the displeased look on the other man's face and explained, “Since I grow up with wolves I had to learn to deal with the elements and-”
“Why don't you go back and live with them?” the other man stated angrily.
Neko stared at him in disbelief as Idane Iemochi went into the house and soon determined that there would be no way for the man to accept him. He sighed and lied back in the snow as he stared at the sky. He thought back to the first winter with the Takashi family when the snow began to fall.
He happened to be listening to one of the kids talk to him when his ear turned towards the outside in hearing a small object hit the ground. He ran to the door and scratched at where the door met the wall. The kid he was listening to came over and opened the door for him. He jumped out onto the grass and sat down just looking at the sky. For hours he sat there waiting for something to come down and the family began to worry about him. Minako joined him when Chikako couldn't convince him to join her in the training lesson. She sat in his lap, with his strong arms and thick furs wrapped around her as she waited with him for what he was waiting for.
Then suddenly it began to fall, snow; white, fluffy snow. Instead of howling like he usually did when the snow fell he tried to say the word, “S-s . . . sn . . . sno-snow . . . Snow!” he picked Minako up, facing her towards him, as he spun around shouting, “Snow!”
“Those were the days,” he sighed loudly as he unconsciously made a snow angel. Suddenly a snowball hit him in the face, hard. He sat up and let the snow fall off his face as he yelled, “Alright who throw that!”
“Surprise!” Sachi yelled as she landed on top of him.
Neko let out a squawk as Sachi landed on top of him. He laid there underneath Sachi as she giggled at how he looked with irritated/disbelief written all over his face.
“Sorry I couldn't resist,” she told him as she got off of him.
“Neko-kun who's this?” they heard Yamakaza asked.
Neko sat up and said, “Yamakaza-san this is Murase, Sachi.”
“Don't you mean Sawamaru, Sachi?” she asked as Kichiro side stepped away from his sister.
“Sawamaru . . .” tilting his head to think, “No she told me Murase was her family name.”
“Actually Neko-kun,” Sachi said as she bowed her head, “I lied; I told you my family name was Murase because I thought you wouldn't be my friend if I told you my name was Sawamaru.”
He looked at her for a moment and finally said, “That hasn't stopped me before.”
“What?” she looked at him startled.
“I never really gave care about ranks-Shit!” he suddenly moved to the side as a brown flash came down on the spot where he was standing. A loud tearing sound was heard as Opal fell onto the ground holding a part of Neko's shirt. Neko looked at her angrily and said, “Opal-san . . .” right before he lodged at her.
Sachi, Kichiro, and Yamakaza saw the mark on his left shoulder blade of where Opal tore his shirt it was brief, though, because Opal and Neko were wrestling each other in the snow. Yamakaza swore she saw the mark before and she suddenly heard another ripping of clothing. She looked over and saw Opal hitting Neko with ice as Neko held onto the left sleeve of Opal's shirt. Opal turned to reveal the same mark on her shoulder blade.
“Opal-san you have the same mark on your back like Neko-kun,” Kichiro told her.
“What are you talking about?” Opal asked as she picked up her jacket that was somehow thrown off when she wrestled Neko.
“On your back . . . you have a rose in bloom.”
Opal just put on her jacket silently and Yamakaza said, “Kichiro-kun why don't you help Neko-kun make some onigiri.”
“Okay,” he smiled before going over to Neko to help him up.
“I'll help too,” Sachi told them cheerfully as she followed the two boys into the house.
“Opal-san what's wrong?” Yamakaza asked after a moment of silence.
“It's hard to explain,” Opal told her.
Yamakaza hook her arm around Opal's as she made the Ryu hand sign, “I know a place that's really private.”
“Huh? What?” she was suddenly startled when she felt a rush of energy shot through her and they appeared in a forest clearing, “Where are we?”
“We're on the outskirt of the abandoned Takashi castle. It's my secret hide away from the stress of life,” as Yamakaza released Opal and sat down on the ground. “I think I better show you something.”
Opal looked over at Yamakaza surprised as the other girl took off her jacket and shirt. Yamakaza turned her back toward Opal she saw a scar on it that could only be from a blade.
“You're the second person outside the family who's seen it,” Yamakaza told her. “You could probably tell it was done by a sword . . . I was five at the time that was when my life started to fall apart right in front of my very own eyes . . .”
Flashback, “Yawo-kun I think that's enough training for now,” Yamakaza told her older cousin Yawo.
“You're probably right, mother might be getting worried . . .” he suddenly stopped and had a blank look in his eyes.
“Yawo-kun,” Yamakaza started towards and suddenly screamed when he nearly hit her with his boomerang katana. “Yawo-kun what's wrong with you?”
“Yamakaza-san . . . I can't . . . control my . . . self . . . run . . .” he struggled to tell her while he begins to cry as he caught the handle of his blade. “Don't want . . . to . . . hurt you . . .”
Yamakaza got up and ran in the opposite direction of her cousin she didn't get very far when she felt a cold blade slice through her quill, spilling her arrows, and into her skin. She fell to the ground in pain as Yawo calls back his blade to him. She lifts herself up with her left hand and looks back at Yawo. Tears spill over his cheeks as he sees the pain he just caused her.
“Yamakaza-san . . . kill me . . .”
“Yawo-san . . . I can't . . . not you . . .” she cries as she holds her bow tightly when she sees that he really wants her to kill him in his eyes.
“You . . . have to . . . it's either my or . . . you . . . and I want it . . . to be me . . .” as he begins to raise his blade again.
Suddenly Yamakaza had no control over her body, to her it like someone else took control and only her mind was free. Her right arm screamed out in pain as she picked up an arrow, she raised herself off of the ground into a kneeling position as she took aim at Yawo's heart and she cried out when the arrow was released, “Forgive me!”
She watched in horror when the arrow shined with light as it flew straight into her cousins' heart. For a moment as blood soaked into Yawo clothes he just stood there as the light covered his entire body and he the side of his lip turns upward little even as blood spills out of his mouth slowly. He finally falls backwards and Yamakaza could only watch as he fell before she collapsed onto the ground from the menace pain going through her back, end of flashback.
Opal stared at her and asked hopeful, “You really didn't kill him, did you?”
Yamakaza sighed as she put her jacket on, “By the time our healer got to him not even they could save him. They told me only a priestess or a priest could shoot a scared arrow and I'm no priestess.”
Opal looks away now understanding that Yamakaza's life wasn't perfect either and finally said, “When I was little my grandfather hated me and my sister. He treated us like shit; he never cared about us. He always abused us and told us that my father left us behind because he already had a family. My mother got the worst of the abuse . . . one day though a man came took my sister and mother away. My grandfather told me not to let the man take me but the man did and I found out he was my father. He was a powerful and somewhat stupid youkai but he was a kind and understanding man. My grandfather was right . . . he did have a family . . .”
“Opal-san,” Yamakaza said quickly looking away as she sat down, “I already know about your past . . . I-I read your file . . .”
“What?” she yelled standing up angrily, “Why did you read my file?”
Yamakaza kept quiet looking away guilt of her actions.
“Well, why did you?”
“ . . . I had to know who my allies were . . .” she finally told her.
“What . . .”
“I had to know who in Neko-kun's family was and . . . You're one of them . . .”
“I'm not related to that baka,” as she picked the other girl up by her collar.
“ . . . Opal-san I didn't want to be the one to tell you this but that mark on your shoulder isn't just a birthmark it's the mark of the Red Flower Clan . . . the protectors.”
“What?” she released Yamakaza.
Yamakaza stood there staring at her with sad and guilt eyes and continued, “I know kind of weird that you and Neko-kun are related and have a mark makes it so everyone knows who you are.”
“How do you know about the Red Flower Clan?”
“They were once the Takashi Clan's greatest ally long before Priestess Chikako was born-” Yamakaza suddenly gasped in pain as held herself and fell to her knees crying out in pain.
“Yamakaza-kun!” Opal ran to her.
“Stay away from me!” Yamakaza screamed at her as she started to curl onto herself in pain. The smell of blood suddenly filled the air as red dripped onto the snow slowly. Yamakaza fell onto her side as cuts appeared on her body and she screamed out in pain. Blood pooled around her and she screamed out, “Yuma-kun you traitor!”
“Who's Yuma-kun?” Opal asked hurriedly as she quickly kneeled beside her.
Yamakaza slowly looked at her and said angrily, “The man who my family took care of and the same man who killed me!”
“Killed . . . Chikako-san . . .” her eyes widened.
The Moon Cat's Eye began to glow and then surrounded her stopping all the wounds from bleeding or opening. She gained her composure and said, “That's better . . .”
“Chikako . . . -sama . . .” Opal started unsure how to address a priestess/ninja.
She looked at her and made a disgusted face then told her, “Chikako-san no -sama, I hate that.”
“Okay, why did all those wounds appear?”
“. . . let's just say that these wounds appear on the anniversary of my death and they won't leave until the man who did this to me dies.”
“You don't mean Neko-youkai-kun?” she gasped.
“No!” she looked angrily at Opal, “Why would anyone think he would hurt me like that?”
“Well . . . people did say that he might've become angry when you treated him like a youkai.”
“No . . . He could never get angry enough to hurt me even if he tried. I need to be alone now,” as she made the Ryu sign.
“What?”
Chikako touched her shoulder and teleported her back to the house. “I'm sorry but only I and Neko-youkai-kun can finish this battle.”
  
Opal suddenly heard Izu speaking with a fake Victorian accent, “How dare you challenge my manliness!”
She looked over as she heard Neko answer back in the same way, “What manliness? You sew!”
Izu gasped as he placed his hand on his chest and finally pointed at Neko as he said, “That's it I challenge you to a dualed!”
“A dauled? You couldn't even hurt a fly!” Neko exaggerated as he mocked laugh.
“Die!” they acted like they were about to go into hand-to-hand combat but then they just acted like girls by hitting each others hands.
“Oh brother!” Opal sighed as Sachi and Kichiro cheered them on. “What are they doing?”
“They're doing a play that they performed one time, it's really funny,” Kichiro told her.
Neko and Izu stopped when they caught the scent of Yamakaza's blood they both looked at Opal puzzled as their noses twitched.
“What are you two looking at?”
“Is Yamakaza-san alright?” Neko asked.
“In a way . . .”
“What do you mean in a way?” as he began to approach her.
Yamakaza suddenly appeared in between them as everyone got a whiff of the blood soaked into her clothes. She didn't give them a chance to ask her why she smelled that way because she quickly ran into the house and into the bathroom. In the bathroom she quickly locked the door and stripped out of her bloody clothes.
`Not again,' she thought as she went to turn on the shower.
“Why do you smell of your own blood?” she heard a deep voice behind her ask.
“Hiei-kun!” she screamed as she tried to cover herself with the shower curtain. “Why are you in here?”
He just stared at her as he saw wounds open up on her arm that was uncovered by the shower curtain. He grabbed her arm but suddenly received a slap across the face and abruptly found himself outside the bathroom.
“Don't ever come in here while I don't have any clothes on!” she screamed from behind the door.
A few hours later, she sat on the toilet wrapping bandages on her body over the various wounds that appeared on her body. They were too big to place regular bandages on and she had to use large gauze pads and either tape them or wrap them with bandage tape. `What am I going to do? Ever since I was twelve this began to happen to me for no reason. I still remember waking up to the pain and not knowing if I was attacked in my sleep or not. That day was so scary, dreaming that I was attacked by someone I knew, and then awaking up to find myself in painful cuts. How am I supposed to make this stop?'
She heard a knock on the door and heard Neko, “Yamakaza-san dinner's ready . . . if you want to eat.”
“Thank you but I'll eat later.”
“Alright, I'll put it into the fridge.”
She looked at her hands and suddenly realized something, `My hands and my face aren't wounded . . . but what does that mean?”
“You dressed now,” Hiei demanded from outside the window.
“Why?”
“I have a feeling about those wounds.”
She wrapped a body towel around her body securely and opened the window, “What do you know about them?”
He jumped in and said, “They're the same as the wounds that Chikako-san's . . .”
It took a minute for the realization to sink in before she asked, “Past life wounds of unfinished business, huh?”
Hiei nodded as he heard her sit down again but on the edge of the tub.
“My only question is why is it that only my face and hands aren't wounded.”
“When you were Chikako-san you used Neko-te as for your face I think your attacker knew you and didn't want to ruin your beauty.”
“I guess I have to finish Neko-kun's case as soon as I can so I can kill the bastard that killed me.”
Hiei looked at her surprised.
“What? I know how to kill I've killed before and I was trained to kill quickly. That's one of the ways of the Ninja,” as she stood up and stretched, “but I think I'll kill the bastard slowly.”
“I didn't know you could be so evil.”
“You should've seen me when I was little . . . oh wait . . . you have at least seen part of it.”
They heard laughter down stairs and Yamakaza changed in a flash before Hiei noticed. She ran out of the bathroom and yelled at her aunt, “You better not be showing those home videos, aunt Kudaku! AAAHHH!”
“Yama-chan you were so cute back then,” Opal told her.
She grabbed Opals collar and said coldly, “I dare you to say that again . . .”
“Yama-chan, don't do that to your friends,” her aunt told her as she held the remote to the VCR in her hand.
“Why shouldn't I? You've been showing them videos of me as a kid! Gimme that remote!” as she dropped Opal and went after her aunt.
“No!” aunt Kudaku cried as she jumped away from her niece.
After only a few minute chase Yamakaza suddenly collapsed onto the ground in pain as she held her stomach. Everyone rushed to her but she unsteadily got up and silently told them to stop. Her aunt quickly took her into her own room and closed the door. Neko went over and pressed his ear against the door to hear the women talking.
“Yamakaza-san why didn't you remind me that today was when these wounds opened up?” he heard Yamakaza's aunt ask.
“Because I thought you would remember,” Yamakaza told her and started to cough.
“Here! In the bucket!” as she moved the bucket onto Yamakaza's lap and moved to the room sounding kind of scared.
He heard a spat and droplets hit the inside of the bucket. He suddenly heard someone open something and wrapping tape around something which he suspected to be Yamakaza's stomach. He stood up and slowly left the house as Izu called out to him which he ignored. He just needed time to think of what he just heard and seen. He knew that Yamakaza was Chikako reincarnated but it still sometimes stunned him to see some of Yamakaza's personality was the same as Chikako's.
He still deeply cared for Chikako but she died four hundred and twelve years ago even though it didn't seem that long ago for him. Right now, though, he wasn't thinking about their personalities but the wounds that were all over Yamakaza's body. He knew what they were from and he didn't need anyone to tell him; he heard of souls caring their past life wounds with them to their next life until whatever caused them disappeared. He seen them on a girl he once encountered on the road and he just talked to her past self and they disappeared.
Neko soon just began to wonder around town thinking about him and Chikako. He was suddenly hit with a snowball in the face making him fall onto his back and he heard some teens laughing across the street.
“I got her good, didn't I?” asked one boy.
“You sure did!” said another.
Neko stood up and yelled, “What the hell did you do that for?”
“Gah! She's a he!” the teens jumped back.
“You're going to pay for that!”
He took a bounding leap across the road and landed in front of them before they could move. He punched them across their faces and he turned when he heard three more coming at him. One punched him across the face but he just stood there looking at him curiously. All of them backed up when he didn't wince at the contact on his face. Neko cracked his neck and looked at the teens as he cracked his knuckles. He crouches into a fighting stance and they run away.
He stood up straight looking around and asked, “Now where am I?”
“I'm surprised you scared one of the toughest gangs in the area,” said a slightly deep voice.
“So I'm in the gang district . . .” as he looked at the sky. His finger twitched against his chin when the teen grabbed a lock of his long hair.
“Damn you have soft hair!”
He looked slightly over his shoulder at the teen and said, “Thanks . . . I think.”
“Say you're not from around here, are you?” as he let go of Neko's hair.
“I wouldn't be asking if I knew where I was, would I? Now I should head that way,” as he walked back in the direction he can in.
“Hey, you're going so soon?” as he walked beside Neko.
“Yes . . .” as he began to pick up his pace.
The teen was going to say something again but Neko suddenly tripped over someone sending him face down in the snow once again. Someone grunted underneath his legs as he lies still when they hear Izu telling him like a mother would tell her son, “Honestly Neko-kun, you can't go wondering around the city like that.” Izu grabbed his hair and began to drag him back to the house.
“Let go of my hair, baka!” and suddenly they began wrestle in the snow. They began to chase each other and they were soon back at the house.
  
“Christmas party?” Neko asked Kurama confused as he munched on some crackers.
“Yeah, it's a great time to give people gifts,” Kurama told him.
Neko looked down and mumbled, “I don't think I'll join you.”
“Why?”
“Well, for one thing bad things always happen to me at celebrations. Like the time someone placed sake in my tea.”
Kurama blinked at him and asked, “Is that a bad thing?”
“I'm a samurai, a samurai doesn't indulge.”
“Oh . . . no wonder you're so up tight.”
Neko rolled his eyes and continued to munch on his cracker.
“Yamakaza-san wanted you to come to . . .” Kurama tempted.
Neko froze and finally said, “The answer is still no, I already know her too well for you to trick me.”
Kurama thought then said, “Mine-san's coming.”
That got his attention he looked at him, “Really?”
“Really.”
“Well, it's been a while since I've seen the pack I should-”
“No!” `If I can't get him to come to the party I won't be able to get Opal-san off my back about getting Yamakaza-san and Neko-kun under the mistletoe.'
“Why not?”
“Well, she wanted it to be a surprise.”
Neko looked at him through the corner of his eye not convinced.
“Not convinced?”
He shook his head as he continued to munch on the cracker.
“Alright, Opal-san has been on my back and won't stop unless I tell her you're going.”
Neko sighed and said grudgingly, “Fine, I'll go . . . for your sake.”
`Did . . . Neko-kun actually say what I thought he said?'
“It may turn out differently this time and besides Ki-chan explained this gift exchange to me. So I'm interested in it and I'm going to need your help with it.”
`Note to self: Neko-kun is also a ninja,' as he dropped his head in defeat.
“You want to start a little bit after breakfast tomorrow, I have money so don't worry about me paying.”
“. . . How did you get money?”
“How do you think? I did chores for Kudaku-san.”
“Alright see you tomorrow.”
“See ya . . .” he took a bite of another cracker and felt pain shoot through one of his teeth, “Ow . . . Can't let Yamakaza-san know . . . don't want to go to the den-whatever it was called.”
  
Kurama and Neko were at the mall in the electronics department as they looked at some stereo systems for Kichiro when Neko suddenly remembered, “Kurama-kun, Kichiro-kun has a thing called an ipod, right?”
“Yeah,” he answered still looking at the systems.
“Is there anything like these strange things for the ipod? Kichiro-kun complains about not being able to listen to all his music.”
“Well yeah . . . oh . . .”
Neko rolled his eyes and asked, “A little tired today are we?”
“Little . . .” as he led Neko to another alley, “Neko-kun, I think Kichiro-kun will like this one.”
Neko picked up the one that Kurama pointed to and looked at it. “Looks like the one Kichiro-kun described from his weird magazine.”
“What?”
“Yamakaza-san and Kichiro-kun always get these magazines in the mail; they both get really excited about them.”
“Let me guess Yamakaza-san gets a beauty magazine.”
“You and her father wish! No she ordered a weapon magazine through her family . . .” Neko suddenly changed the subject, “Her father told me to go back to the wild yesterday,” he placed the sound system in the basket he carried.
“What?! That's unlike her father; he likes to meet Yamakaza-san's friends.”
“It would've been like that if I didn't put myself in front of a slap that was meant for Yamakaza-san.”
“He tried to slap her,” he looked kind of stunned as they walked to another part of the store.
“You sound surprised, from the way she stood it was obvious that he slap her a few times before.”
“I didn't even know that, what did she do to make him angry?”
“She used her words to get under his skin.”
“Man, she really does know how to use her ninja tactics to really get under someone's skin. That from all her ninja training, right?”
“Yeah, so is her school girl act.”
“It's still hard for me to think of her as a good school girl without seeing her as the ninja that always interfered with your capture.”
Neko took out his list of names and said, “Why does Opal-san always teases me?”
“ . . . I really don't know,” Kurama lied.
“You're the worst lair I might ever meet then again I trained with ninjas so I can tell if someone is lying.”
“So who's next on your list?” Kurama asked to quickly change the subject.
“Let's see . . . Izu-kun . . . he's easy . . . Where's the martial section?” as he stopped looking around the story, “He needs a new chain for his meteor hammer.”
“This is going to be a long day . . .”
  
“Yama-chan . . .” Kichiro whined to his sister as he came down the stairs to the kitchen to where she sat at the table doing her homework.
“What is it?” she asked as she looked at him over her glasses.
“I was wondering . . . what should I get for Jade-san . . .”
“Well . . . get her something that she likes,” as she set her glasses down.
“I don't know what she likes!”
“ . . . Kichiro-kun you've known her since the beginning of the school year. How can you not know what she likes?”
“I . . . don't know . . . she acts lot like you.”
“Here,” she handed him a copy of her weapon magazine.
“But this is yours',” he refused.
“I got two of the same copies by mistake this month so don't worry about it,” she insisted with a chuckle.
“ . . . Thank you, sister!” Kichiro hugged Yamakaza and ran up the stairs to wrap the magazine up.
“Little brothers . . .” she sighed.
“Yamakaza-san, do you have Izu-kun's address?” Neko asked as he came into the house with a lot of bags.
“Yeah . . . what do you have in those bags?” as she looked at the bags curiously.
“None of your business!” as he stuck his tongue at her.
“Now I have to see,” as she got up while Neko prepared for her.
She leaped at him as Neko gathered his strength in his legs and at the last minute he jumped over her. She yelped as she slammed into the fridge and Neko lightly near the table close to Yamakaza's school bag.
He set the bags down and went into her bag as he asked, “Your address book is in here, right?”
“Get out of my bag,” she mumbled as she got off the floor holding the side of her face.
“Found it,” as he took her address book before taking her cell phone and grabbing his bags he yelled to Kichiro while going up the stairs, “Ki-chan! Show me how to use this thing!”