Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Quartered ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: This is the THIRD version of this fic... maybe this one'll finally work out. ^^ Anyway, I own Ryoko, Hisao, the city of Konzatsu, all members of the Tori clan, and anything else that doesn't appear in Yu Yu Hakusho. Everything else belongs to Yoshihiro Togashi.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------- --------------------------------

Iseki Hisao was a youkai to fear. As the son of a wealthy official, he had lived a life of power and luxury. Now, with his father dead in the Great War and his property seized by the invaders, the lightning demon had been forced to live as a petty thief. But the change in status had not changed his ambitions - in three short years, he had become somewhat of a legend to the demons of Konzatsu, robbing from the Osore invaders whenever he pleased, always managing to escape the ice warriors' wrath. And he had taken an even greater prize today. Rising from his seat, he glided silently into the adjoining room of the abandoned dojo where his new treasure resided.
Taking great care not to give any sign of his presence, Hisao reached out to the girl standing in the corner. With one fluid motion, he wrapped his arms around her waist, spun her around, and kissed her. Laughing, he grasped her tighter as she struggled to break free.
"Didn't expect me, did you?"
"Let me go, you monster!" The maid's ruby-red eyes shone with hatred as she tried to squirm out of his embrace. "Hasn't anyone ever told you not to harm a lady?"
"Harm you? I wouldn't dream of it! I was merely expressing my affection for you. Surely a girl as pretty as you has kissed a man before?"
"Never one so foul as you. Now take your hands off me and let me go in peace!"
"Foul? I fancy myself quite dashing, little maid. And I shan't let you go until you tell me your name. Such a fair creature should carry a fair name, should she not?"
"I'll never tell you! Now set me free and never speak to me again!"
"So you wish to remain with me after all. Perhaps I am not so foul, then?"
"Fine, then, you shall have as you wish. My name is Minami Ryoko of the Tori clan, daughter of Minami Takamori and Sawamatu Ami. Now let me go!"
"All right, my little Ryoko, there's no need to be rude about it." With one last grin, he let go of her and watched her dart for the entrance. Humming softly to himself, he slowly followed - the game had just begun.
Ryoko ran through the chambers of the old building, not halting even to examine the many ornaments stolen from the followers of the Blue Dragon. At last she reached the outermost room. But as she reached the door, she realized...two tall, menacing wolf-demons stood in the doorway, swords drawn and leering cruelly at her. As she frantically searched for any means of escape, an all-too-familiar voice reached her ears.
"Denbe and Genkuro do their job well, don't they? That's why I keep them, of course. They're too stupid to do anything else, but they make excellent guard dogs."
"What do you want from me?"
Hisao grinned. "You're slower than I thought you'd be. I suppose I could show you..."
Realization crept into her face. "But I'm only a child! Surely a woman of more winters could serve you better?"
"You may still be young, yes, but no mere child has such a lovely figure as the flow of your tunic belies, ne? Now lie down and give in to your fate, wench, or die!"
Meekly, Ryoko prostrated herself, her defiance now turning to the submission that promised all that truly mattered to her any more: life.

***
Ryoko looked back on that day bitterly. If only she had refused to give in to Hisao, she could at least have died knowing that she had honored her clan at last. Honored them by valuing her maidenhood over life. But what was the point in that? Surely it was better to be living and defiled than to be a virgin and dead.
The young fire demon was roused from her thoughts of the past by the wail of a child. Reluctantly leaving the warmth of her futon, she took her infant son from his bed and held him close, gently stroking his soft yellow hair. How often she wished that she could give her little boy a better life. If only she could take him away from the father who hated him, from the city where chaos still reigned - she sighed. Only the blessings of the gods could save her now. She smiled. Perhaps that was why she had named her child as she did, in hopes that maybe, just maybe, the god of her people would take notice and bring Minami Suzaku and his mother to safety.

---------------------------------------------------------- ------------------ --------------------------------

^^ I actually wrote a semi-long chapter! Go me! *blinkblink* Anyway, R/R or I'll sic Byakko on you. Meep!