Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Retribution ❯ Some Questions Answered ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer- It’s not mine. Never was.

A/N - Special thanks to Mistress of Hiei Spasms for reviewing this story. I sincerely hope that you enjoy this next chapter. Many of your questions will be answered by the end of this chapter.

-

Retribution

Chapter 7

Some Questions Answered

-

Kurama followed along behind Hinageshi as the young ferry girl led the way to Koenma’s office. He’d been trying to find a mixture that could break the raging fever Yukina and Touya were suffering from ever since Yusuke and the others had left.

That had been over an hour ago, and he had still not come up with something that would work. He and Youko had argued more than anything, trying to figure out what would work, and what ingredients they could use. So he was hoping that this Healer would be able to do the trick.

“Did they retrieve the Healer Koenma sent them to get?” he asked.

“Oh, yes.” the young woman answered. “She did not seem to happy with the summons, but Yusuke and the others just arrived with her. It was most peculiar though, the Healer was with that other young woman who you rescued from the slave camp a few days ago, Meleena-something-or-other, so it was not very hard to find.”

“Does she know what is wrong with them?” Kurama asked.

I already told you it’s Devil’s Fever, Kurama. I don’t need a second opinion when I know what it is. Youko said.

We don’t know that for sure. Kurama replied to the indignant fox spirit in his head.

“She knows, and Koenma wants everyone to hear what she has to say.” Hinageshi continued on, oblivious to the internal argument that Kurama was having with himself. They got to the door to Koenma’s office, and Hinageshi gave a slight bow. “We’re here.”

Kurama thanked the ferry girl and pushed the door open, walking in, only to freeze when his and Youko’s eyes landed on the demoness sitting at the edge of Koenma’s desk. She leveled a glare at him, and Youko let out a string of curses that would have made Yusuke blush scarlet like some adolescent schoolgirl.

The demoness stood and crossed her arms across her chest, as if waiting for him to enter into the room. She was of normal build, about five and a half feet, with diagonally cut black hair and piercing gray eyes. Two thick locks of hair hung down her back, falling right above her waist. She had two curled silver chain-scythes at her waist, and a blood red teardrop-shaped pendant around her neck. But what was the most impressive, and the very reason that Youko was more than just a little concerned about his hide, was the set of bat-like wings that were folded up against her back.

Problem? Hiei questioned mentally.

You could say that. Youko replied, cringing as the woman’s icy gaze seemed to size Kurama up, and then simultaneously dismiss him.

What is going on here, Youko? Kurama questioned, moving to join Yusuke in the loose semi-circle around Koenma’s desk. Do you know this woman?

Unfortunately. Youko cringed, watching as her hand slipped to her side and wrapped around the hilt of one of the sharpened blades. I never thought I’d ever see her again, though. This is NOT good!

“I’m glad you all could join us so quickly.” came Koenma’s voice, making Kurama and Youko’s attention divert to him. “This is Kamirue, a talented Healer who may be able to help us. The one that just entered in is…”

“Youko Kurama.” she said, her voice low. “I know him.”

…-

Old lover, kitsune? Hiei snickered, catching onto the spirit fox’s nervousness. She looks mad enough to kill.

No, she’s not an old lover, you pointy headed bastard! Youko growled. Kurama, get us out of here. Now!

…-

Koenma blinked at the obvious venom in her voice, hoping against hope that his office was not about to get torn apart. He knew the rocky history between the Healer and ex-thief, and knew there was bound to be trouble. Unfortunately, it seemed like the fight was about to start a little earlier than he had anticipated.

“You know Kurama?” he asked. “I didn’t think you would.”

“There’s a lot of things you don’t think of.” she said, cutting her eyes to Kurama once again and folding her arms. “Just like you didn’t think to tell me that you expect me to work with the same bastard kitsune who’s responsible for my brother dying!”

“Kamirue, please….” Koenma said, trying to pacify the angered woman before things got out of hand.

…-

Brother? Hiei asked.

Kuronue. Youko said flatly.

He had a sister? Why haven’t you ever mentioned that before, Youko? Kurama asked.

Because I was hoping that I would eventually forget she ever existed. Youko whined, trying to retreat farther into the safety of his host’s mind. And what she threatened to do to me with those scythes if she ever saw me again!

And how long ago was the last time you saw her? Kurama asked.

When I told her that Kuronue was dead. Youko said. You do the math.

Youko said.

Well fox, I don’t know what she told you, but it looks like she’s ready to follow through with her threat. Hiei said dryly.

That’s what I’m afraid of…..

…-

“…tell them what is going on, and you two can fight it out later!” Koenma said, obviously exasperated. The bat demoness growled and hissed at him, but backed down and turned to face the somewhat surprised Spirit Detectives.

“This is Devil’s Fever.” she said simply. “It is a virus normally found in the extreme southern regions of Demon World and the Netherworld. It enters the body and shuts down all major body systems, then liquefies them after they stop functioning.”

“How long does it take before the damage is irreparable?” Hiei barked.

“The infected patients usually start showing signs after a week or so incubation period.” she answered. “They usually start of coughing and sneezing. By day three, they run a fever. By day five they’re unconscious, and the fever is raging. And in most cases, they’re dead by day seven. Of course, each case is different. Ice and snow apparitions are more susceptible to the virus, as well as owl demons and half breeds. The virus progresses more quickly in them, usually.”

“Is there a way to stop it?” Kurama asked.

“A cure was found the last time there was an outbreak.” Kamirue bit out, glaring at the red headed spirit detective once again.

“Then what are you waiting on?” Yusuke demanded. “Get to work already!”

“I can’t make the cure without the ingredients.” she said, shaking her head.

“Wel’ wha’ you need, lass?” Jin asked, speaking up for the first time.

“Moonflower. Coriathis sap. Bark from a Death Tree.” she said. “And Acene’s lotus.”

“That’s simple enough.” Yusuke said. “Kurama here can pull damn plants out of thin air and make’m eat people. Shouldn’t be complicated.”

“If he can pull an Acene’s lotus seed out of thin air, then I’ll be impressed.” Kamirue stated, regarding the kitsune with obvious disdain.

“Kurama?” Hiei prompted.

“I do not have that seed.” Kurama answered, shaking his head. “That particular blossom is said to be extinct.”

“Only for people who don’t know where to look.” Kamirue said.

“If it’s not dead, then where can we find it?” Kuwabara asked.

“Seneca’s Caverns.” she answered crisply. “It’s the only place in Makai where they still grow.”

Koenma let out a groan and sat back in his chair, glaring at the demoness before him.

“Are you absolutely sure?”

“Yes.” she answered. “The blooms are sacred to the water demon race that lives in the caverns. They’re the only ones who can give it to you.”

“How long will it take to make your cure?” Hiei questioned.

“No more than a day.”

“So we get the plants, and you cook up the cure, then my kids are safe?” Yusuke asked, cracking his knuckles absently.

“In essence, yes.” she answered, shrugging. “But it is more likely that they will all be dead before you even get within sight of those petals.”

“Why?”

“They grow on sacred grounds.” Kamirue said.

“And? Your point is?” Yusuke asked.

“The water demon race would rather kill Koenma and put his head on a pike, then roast it over an open flame before helping Koenma out. Especially the new Carrier. She’s rather pissed at you still, Koenma.”

“Why?”

“Because I exiled some of them to the Netherworld a century or so ago as punishment.” he said. “There was a mix-up, and I couldn’t bring them back after their innocence was proven, after the fact.”

“And 90 percent of those he exiled were the tribal Elders, and the creators of the cure for Devil’s Fever.” Kamirue said. “not his best move. Ever since, the remaining tribes refuse to cooperate with him.”

“If they died, then how do you know this cure?” Yusuke asked, finding the story somewhat suspicious.

“I trained with the elders, before they were forced out.” Kamirue said. “But I have not been able to go back, even before I was exiled to Demon World.”

“So Yukina is going to die because of his stupidity?” Hiei asked, nodding towards Koenma.

“More or less.” Kamirue answered. “Along with Botan and the others.”

“This is utterly preposterous!” Koenma fumed, slamming his hands onto his desk. “Hinageshi! HINAGESHI!”

“Yes, sir, Koenma?” Hinageshi answered, walking through the wall behind him.

“Go get Meleena, and bring her here immediately.” he barked.

“Yes, sir!”

“You might want to bring some reinforcements, dear.” Kamirue said absently. “She’s not going to come quietly.”

“You five go with her.” Koenma said angrily, nodding to the detectives in his office. Jin, Kurama, Yusuke, Hiei, and Kuwabara nodded, following the ferry girl out of the office without another word being said. “And hurry up!” Once they were out of earshot Koenma dropped his head into his hands and groaned. “This is bad. This is really bad.”

“You haven’t seen bad, at least not yet.” Kamirue stated flatly. “Just wait until they get Meleena here. If they can even to it without resorting to violence.”

“You are not helping the situation.” Koenma said.

“I didn’t know I was suppose to.” she bit out. “You jerked me away from what I was doing, and threw me into a room with none other than Youko Kurama, the one demon who I never wanted to see again. And now you’re telling me I’m supposed to whip up a cure for a sickness that you said ‘supposedly’ died out over a century ago!”

“I made a mistake.” Koenma admitted. “It’s nothing something I am proud of, but I was wrong.”

“Damn right you were!” Kamirue seethed. “just like you were wrong about my sons!”

“There is no proof that they did not kill the…”

“Koenma!” came Hinageshi’s voice from the television screen. “Koenma, sir!” The Spirit World prince grabbed his remote and flicked on the screen, only to find Hinageshi’s frightened face.

“Koenma here.” he said. “What is it?”

“We found her, sir.”

“So why all the hysterics?” Koenma asked.

“The little’ lass be unconscious.” came Jin’s concerned voice. “She be shakin’ up a storm!”

“Does she have a fever?” Kamirue asked quickly, cutting Koenma off before he could say anything else.

“She’s burning up.” Kuwabara answered from somewhere off screen.

“Get her here, now!” Koenma barked.

“On our way, sir.” Hinageshi said. The television screen flickered off and Koenma got up from his desk, only to see a smirking Kamirue.

“Well, if this just isn’t the best case of irony at it’s worse.” she said. “Your one ticket to making peace with the water demon race, and making everyone better, is unconscious herself. How horrid.”

“Don’t start.” Koenma growled, grabbing her wrist and dragging her through the doors and down the halls to he infirmary where everyone else was bedded down. “I don’t have time for this.” Kamirue remained quiet, but the laughter in her eyes made Koenma sick at his stomach.

...-

A few moments later, the bickering couple heard Hinageshi’s voice coming down the hallway. The doors to the infirmary burst open, and Koenma saw Kuwabara carrying Meleena’s thrashing body in his arms.

Kamirue, although seemingly incapable of caring about what happened to everyone else, immediately went to work when the boys rushed in. She had Kuwabara place the struggling woman on a nearby bed, and got to work.

“What’s wrong with her?” Koenma asked, turning to Kamirue for answers.

“The same thing that is wrong with the others.” she answered, pulling a small satchel from her waist and pouring the contents into a water basin nearby. “You three, hold her still.” Yusuke, Jin and Kurama moved to comply, and secured the thrashing demoness. “Hold her head, Koenma.” The Spirit World prince done as instructed and held Meleena immobile while Kamirue poured the concoction down her throat, causing her to still after a few more minutes. “Well, I hope that works.”

“You hope it works?” Koenma asked.

“Well, it will either kill the fever, or her.” Kamirue said, shrugging. “Let’s hope for the former, shall we?”

“How did she catch this?” Koenma demanded? “She was fine a few days ago.”

“I told you that half-breeds are more susceptible, Koenma.” Kamirue said icily. “And she was in that camp longer than your detectives. I’m surprised this didn’t happen sooner, to be honest.”

“She’s a half-breed?” Yusuke asked.

“You mean he didn’t tell you?” Kamirue asked, turning to the spirit detectives.

“Tell us what?” Hiei demanded.

“Who she is.” Kamirue clarified.

“I’m afraid not.” Kurama said, shaking his head.

“Well, it’s not my story to tell.” Kamirue said simply, turning back to her patient.

“Of course it’s not.” Koenma barked. “But back to the matter at hand. Can you stop this?”

“It’s not a matter of ‘Can I?’.” she said. “It’s more of a matter of ‘Will I?’.”

“What?” Yusuke demanded.

“Stay out of this, Yusuke.” Koenma ordered. “All of you, out!” The spirit detectives simply glared at Koenma, but filed out of the room, leaving him to his own with the bat demoness.

“You will do this, Kamirue.” Koenma said firmly.

“Oh, will I?”

“This is my wife…my family we’re talking about! Not to mention Yusuke’s kids. Yukina and her child. And countless others.” Koenma yelled. “You’ve got to do something!”

“If I do remember correctly, I said the same thing concerning two other children, not too long ago.” she said soothingly, her attention focused on Meleena, and not the prince. “I could have saved them as well, and what did you tell me? You said, and I quote, ‘Life and death are synonymous with each other. There is nothing I can do to save their souls now.’ You remember that, don’t you, Koenma?” Koenma remained quite, knowing it was pointless to argue with her when she was telling nothing but the truth. “Of course you do. Well, now it’s my turn to tell you; there’s nothing I can do to save them.”

“Kamirue, please….”

“Don’t beg me, you little brat.” she snapped. “You’re only link to the water demon race is lying right here, already sick.”

“She can get the flowers, and you can make the cure.” Koenma said.

“You are in no position to be telling me, or Meleena, what we’re going to do.” she argued. “Right now, the fate of your family, your detective’s families, and most of Sprit World rests in the hands of the two women who cold not physically hate you more than we already do.”

“She’s like her mother.” Koenma said, nodding towards Meleena. “She will help us.”

“You are conveniently overlooking the stubbornness and ability to hold a grudge that she inherited from her father.” Kamirue said stonily. “Not only that, but you are also assuming that should you be able to get the ingredients, that I will help you.”

“You will do this.” he said.

“What’re you going to do if I don’t?” she challenged. “Throw me to your detectives? Fine with me. I’d like to take Youko to hell anyway. You and I both know he deserves it. And you don’t have anything to blackmail me with this time, either.”

“What would it take from me, for you to do this?”

“You don’t have anything I want.”

“Not even your freedom?

“Not even that.”

“You don’t understand! I’ll remove your exile sentence…”

“I’d rather live in exile for the rest of my life if it means making you go through one-tenth of the hell I did when my two children were murdered, and I couldn’t do anything to save them!” Kamirue fumed.

Koenma, unable to form any type of response, just stood there numbly. When Kamirue finally regained control of herself, she put the small satchel back on her belt, and shook her head.

“Her fever is broken for now.”

“She’s cured?”

“Hardly.”

“Kamirue, please…I’m begging you…You’re a healer, and a person who one time cherished and valued life above all things.” Koenma pleased. “You can save these people, and countless others. You trained Yukina in her spiritual healing techniques. Do you really want her to die? She’s carrying her own daughter right now. Do you want to do that to her? To take away her chance to be a mother, and to feel the love that you did when your sons were alive? Do you want to take her away from her brother, the only family she has left?”

Kamirue stopped in her tracks and seemed to contemplate his words for a minute before turning to face him again.

“I’ll tell you what, Koenma.” she said. “If, by some cosmic joke, you can get the blossoms, then I’ll make the cure.”

“What’s the catch?”

“I want to see my family one more time. All of them.”

“I can’t do that.” Koenma said, shaking his head.

“Then I can’t help you.”

“They’re dead.” he ground out. “They have been for years.”

“They will be too, in another few days.” she pointed out, gesturing to the unconscious patients.

“Fine.”

“Wonderful.” she said simply, a saccharine smile on her face. “Now get out so I can get to work.”

“Excuse me?”

“You want Meleena coherent when she wakes up, don’t you?” she asked. “I can’t work with you hovering around me.”

“And the others?” Koenma asked. “Botan?”

“I’ll do what I can to stop anymore damage from being done.” she said primly. “But I’m telling you, it’s only a temporary allievement, not a cure. You’ve still got to convince Meleena that you’re not a complete bastard who deserves everything he’s got coming to him.”

It was about five hours later, and everyone in the castle Koenma called home was on edge. The ogres that worked under Koenma were mad because Koenma kept sniping at them. And Koenma was mad because Kamirue refused to let him into the infirmary to see Botan, who was still out cold.

Yusuke had went back to the Human World and gotten Keiko, who Kamirue had let in to see her children. Hiei was not present either, and Kurama knew he was sitting on the window sill in Yukina’s room, waiting for his sister to awaken. Kurama, being driven stir crazy by all of the waiting, decided to go see if Yusuke’s children and Yukina had made any progress, although he seriously doubted it. He was headed towards their rooms when he ran right into Kamirue. The demoness, who had been carrying a container of what looked to be Lithadora blooms, simply righted herself and frowned.

“Is there something I can help you with, Kurama?” she asked.

“I, uh…. I was going to see how Yusuke’s children were.” he said carefully, not quite understanding why she wasn’t glaring at him.

Or why she hasn’t already tried to cut our head off with one of those scythes. Youko shuddered, spotting the gleaming, curved blades at Kamirue’s side.

“They are a little better.” she said, gesturing for him to follow her. “Unfortunately, Yukina and Touya are getting worse. Seems like every time I get the fever to break, it comes back twice as bad.”

“I see.” he said, watching her carefully as she opened one door, and stuck her head in. “The kids are sleeping again.” she said after a moment. “And it looks like Keiko is getting some rest as well.”

“That’s good.” Kurama said. “Yusuke said she’s been walking the floor all night.”

“Yes, it is. You can go see Yukina though. I do believe your friend Hiei has not moved since I put her in that room. She may be awake by now. Excuse me.” Kamirue wiped her hands on a small towel and headed towards another door.

Kurama blinked rapidly, trying to figure out what ha changed the demoness’ attitude about him.

That was surprisingly…peaceful. Kurama said.

She didn’t even try to take our head off. Youko commented. Something is not right. I’ll bet she’s trying to lure us into a false sense of security before she tries to kill us, Kurama!

I told her that Youko is only part of you. Came Hiei’s metal voice. She seemed to calm down after I told her that the kitsune is safely locked inside your head, and won’t come out unless you tell him to.

Kurama groaned and entered into Yukina’s room, unsurprised to find Hiei sitting on the windowsill and staring out at the clouds.

“What else did you tell her?” Kurama asked.

“She doesn’t want to kill you now, so does it matter?” Hiei questioned stoically.

“I suppose not.” Kurama sighed. “How is she?”

“No change.” Hiei said, looking at his sister’s unconscious body.

The baby’s energy is fluttering. Youko said.

Yukina has passed the sickness to her child? Kurama asked.

Possibly. Youko replied. It is hard to tell.

“Has Koenma been able to get the blossoms yet?” Kurama asked.

“No, the half-breed hasn’t woken up yet.” Hiei said grumpily. Kurama groaned internally, knowing that thee was nothing he could say to the shorter demon to reassure him that Yukina and his unborn niece would be okay. “Are you going to be here for a while?”

“Yes.” Kurama said. Hiei said nothing, just stood and adjust his katana.

“I need to go kill something.” was all the short demon said.

“We’ll come get you if anything changes.” Kurama said, knowing that some unfortunate demons in Makai were about to meet their maker.

“Hn.” Hiei jumped out of the window, and disappeared almost instantly.

He’s worried. Youko said.

I don’t doubt it, Youko. She’s the only family he has left, even if she is only a half-sibling. I’d be worried if it were me, as well. Kurama looked down at the blue headed ice apparition and shook his head. The pregnancy had been hard on her, and she was due to deliver her daughter anytime now. Kurama’s only concern was whether or not the gentle young woman was strong enough to survive the birthing process, along with her baby.

Kuwabara is coming. Youko said absently.

He must have sensed Hiei leaving. Kurama thought, walking towards the door and opening it just as Kuwabara was reaching for it. The orange headed human blinked a few times and walked into the room, his eyes fixed on Yukina.

“How is she?” he asked quietly.

“The same, I’m afraid.” Kurama said. Kuwabara’s head dropped and he knelt down at the apparition’s side. Kurama left the room quietly, allowing Kuwabara the time with his lady love.

He really does care about her, doesn’t he? Youko asked.

Yes, he does. Kurama answered, turning his attention to the sound of a woman’s voice emanating from a room right down the hall.

The woman is awake. Youko commented. Maybe now we will get somewhere.

Undoubtedly. Kurama thought, watching as Kamirue dashed out of her own room and into the one where Meleena was. She felt it as well. Should we go in?

Koenma will be calling us soon enough. We should go get Hiei.

Agreed. Kurama said, slipping out of the hallway and heading for the portal to Demon World to search down his short demon friend.

When Meleena woke up, her first thought centered on the severe amount of pain that was causing her head to pound. A few moments later, another person’s voice roused her all the way up.

“Drink this, and you will feel better, Meleena. It will help with the headache.”

The water demoness recognized the soft voice immediately, and obediently drank the warm liquid that was being held to her mouth.

“What am I doing here?” Meleena asked, opening her eyes and taking in the gilded surroundings. “Or more importantly, where am I?”

“You are in the Spirit World castle.” Kamirue answered.

“And what are you doing here?”

“Koenma sent for me.” she said simply. “And sent for you, but his detectives found you passed out. He had them bring you here. He wants to speak with you.”

“Am I here because of this stupid virus?” Meleena asked crankily, pushing the covers off of her body and sitting up on side of the bed. Kamirue nodded, and handed her a cold, wet cloth to wipe her face with.

“I’ll go tell him you’re awake.” Kamirue said.

“Mira?” Meleena asked, stopping the demoness. “Who is it that’s caught Devil’s Fever that’s made him pull the both up us out of exile?”

“Botan.”

“Figures.” Meleena scoffed. “Go tell the bastard I’m up, will you?” Kamirue nodded and left the room, allowing her patient to get dressed. Meleena stood up shakily and reached for her clothing. She still felt bad, and had no doubt in her mind that she’d caught the blasted virus, no thanks to Koenma, but the little bastard had one hell of a fight on his hands. She said she hadn’t wanted to see him again, and he had the audacity to bring her back here.

Oh no, that little brat was about to get an earful.

When she stepped into Koenma’s office, she noticed that she was not the only one there. The remaining spirit detectives, and Urameshi’s wife were seated in a lose semi-circle around the desk. Behind her, Kamirue nudged her gently, and she took up her post at the side of Koenma’s desk, facing the whole lot of them. Kamirue stood of too the side of her, watching carefully should anything go wrong.

“How are you feeling?” Koenma asked her, seemingly concerned about her well being.
“What am I doing here?” she asked, folding her arms and looking at him. “I thought I told you I never wanted to see you again.”

“I know. I know.” Koenma said, holding up his hands to placate her. “But as much as I hate to say this…we need your help.”

“I can’t help you, Koenma.” she shot back.

“Do you even know why you’re here, and not in Demon World?” he asked. “Yusuke’s team found you passed out, thrashing around uncontrollably.”

“I’ve caught the blasted virus.” she shrugged. “No thanks to you, at that. Why are you worried about me all of a sudden?”

“We currently have both of Yusuke’s young children, along with a number of my spirit detective’s family members lying in the infirmary with the same sickness.”

“Spit it out, toddler.” she barked. “What do you want from me?”

“Meleena…” Koenma said carefully. “The last time there was an outbreak, we were forced to let it burn its way out. You know this. However, we’ve been told there is a cure that can stop this before it gets worse, and kills anymore people.”

“And what has this got to do with me?” Meleena asked.

“The race of demons you call family are known to be wonderful healers.” Koenma said, biting his lip. “There is a plant that we need to make the cure for Devil’s Fever, and it grows only in Seneca’s Caverns.”

“Seneca’s lotus.” she said, nodding. “I’ve heard of it. The flower is scared to us, as it was rumored to have originally bloomed where Seneca spilled her blood to protect her children, the first of our race.”

“Then you know where it is at?” Hiei barked.

“The grove where it still grows is hidden to outsiders.” she said. “Deep within the caverns of an underground cave.”

“But it still exists?” Keiko asked, hope flaring in her face.

“Yes.” Meleena sad. “But I’m afraid you’ll have a fair share of fighting to go through before you can get to them if that is what you need.”

“Fightin’?” Jin asked, frowning. “I though’ yeh lads and lassies was peaceful?”

“We normally are.” Meleena answered stiffly. “But the grounds you wish to enter are scared to my race, and the tribal Elders will not let just anyone to realizing through them At least not without a fight.”

“How we do we get in then?” Kuwabara asked. “We don’t have time to fight off an entire race of demons!”

“Send a letter to the Elders, asking to be given permission.” Meleena said coldly. “If they okay it, then that’s the only way you’re going to get in. The only other way to gain permission is to appeal to the Carrier. But I can tell you now, that isn‘t going to work.”

“I don’t need permission from a group of overbearing monsters.” Koenma snapped. Meleena glowered and folded her arms across her chest.

“Oh yes, you will.” she countered, her temper flaring up at the insult to her race. “And considering what you done to half of us all those years ago, you might as well can it up right now. You wouldn’t help us then, then we’re not going to help you now.”

“There are other ways to get those damned plants.” Hiei snarled.

“If you go trying to blast your way in there with brute force, the Carrier will destroy them.”

“You keep saying Carrier.” Keiko asked. “What is a Carrier?”

“Every hundred years or so, a demoness is born with more…sensitive capabilities.” Meleena explained. “This woman acts as a host body of sorts for our goddesses spirit during our festivals and celebrations. The goddess Seneca possess the hostess for short amounts of time in order to offer words of advice during times of trouble. If you try to blast your way through those caverns, I have no doubt that Seneca will inhibit the hostess and order the blossoms destroyed.”

“Don’ holda grudge much, do yeh?” Jin asked sarcastically.

“We don’t like being betrayed.” she said simply, looking straight at Koenma. “And considering Koenma banished the last hostess to exile, I definitely say you’re not off to a good start.”

“There has to be another way!” Yusuke growled. “Just because Koenma screwed up before, it’s no point in making my kids suffer!”

“Or Yukina!” Kuwabara said, cracking his knuckles.

“Or Touya.” Jin said.

“Or Botan.” Kurama said. Meleena looked over the faces in the room, feeling her anger melt away. She knew it was wrong to with hold the ingredients needed to heal them, but some sadistic part in her wanted Koenma to know what I felt like to give up Botan to death, just like she had been forced to give up Blaize.

Blaize….

What would she have done in this situation? Meleena knew that the old hostess of Seneca’s spirit would have done what she could to help get everyone better, especially the children.

‘Life is precious.’ she had told her once. ‘As is love. Without those two things, our world would be barren. Preserve life, and love will find a way to heal your hurts away, no matter what they may be.’

“Meleena, please….” Koenma said. “I know you’re angry with me, and I can’t wrongly blame you. But the people we love are on the verge of dying, and I know you can help us. Blaize…she…she would understand…”

Meleena’s eyes instantly raged with an inferno of anger and hurt when he mentioned the other demoness’ name.

“You’re right, she would have understood.” Meleena said coldly. “Unfortunately, for you, I am not as much like my mother as you were probably banking on. You see, I seem to have inherited a mean, vindictive streak that sometimes overrules my normal logic and common sense. But you would know all about that, wouldn’t you, Father?”

…-

You could have heard a pin drop in the room when Meleena turned her hardening face away from Koenma. The demi-god only closed his eyes and hung his head while the rest of the spirit detectives tried to pick their jaws up off the floor after hearing Meleena’s little declaration. Surprisingly, it was Yusuke who recovered first.

“Father?” he asked, looking between Koenma and the fuming half demoness in front of him. “You mean to tell us that Koenma’s your dad?”

“You didn’t think the god-damned bastard stayed celibate his entire life, did you?” she asked, sarcasm thick in her voice.

“And your mother?” Kurama asked. “Blaize…she was your mother?” Meleena said nothing, only took one last look around and walked towards the doorway, only to be stopped by Koenma’s pleading voice.

“Meleena, I’m begging you….as your father, please help us get into those caves.” he asked.

“You’re begging me as the father who denied that I even existed until it was convenient for him.” she said quietly, shaking her head, but not looking aback at him. “You didn’t raise me, my mother did. She was the last hostess body for Seneca, and you exiled the both of us from our homes, simply because she was doing her duty and keeping people alive!”

“I didn’t…”

“And now you expect me to just forget you sent her in on a suicide mission to that slave camp. Koenma, you knew I didn’t need any help. You knew it! Now you want me to help you heal the woman you love, when I was forced to leave my mother’s remains somewhere in Demon World? No, you’re asking the wrong person for help.”

“If you won’t help us by telling the Elders, then at least let me speak to the Carrier.” Koenma said. “I’m desperate, Meleena! Who is she?”

“You’re looking at her, Koenma.” Meleena said, balling up her fist and knocking Koenma back a good few feet. When the Spirit World prince regained his footing, he glowered at the proud woman in the doorway. “Your only hope to get those flowers lie with the tribal Elders. If they unanimously agree to let you in, then there’s nothing I can do. So you’d better hope they’re more forgiving than I am.”

She turned and walked away, disappearing in the maze of hallways that made up the Spirit World castle.

Kamirue shook her head, knowing that the angered demoness who had just left had let more slip than she had intended. The relationship between Koenma and Blaize had been kept quiet for centuries. And no one knew that Koenma had a daughter, not even his own father, King Enma.

Kamirue had been the one to help Blaize through the birth when Meleena had been born, and she had known the girl her entire life. And in all those centuries, she had never seen Meleena get so emotional and upset. Angry, yes. But never to the point of breaking down like she had just seen.

Kamirue unfolded her arms and sighed. The tension in the room was so thick, she was afraid someone would smother, and she wanted out before any arguments could begin.

“Well, if you’ll excuse me, gentlemen, I need to check on my patients.” the bat demoness said, walking out the door and shutting them behind her.

…-

The remaining occupants of Koenma’s office turned as one to the deity and waited for some sort of explanation that would put this whole mess into perspective.

“Well, Koenma, now what?” Yusuke asked, glaring at him while Keiko sobbed on his shoulder.

“I don’t know, Yusuke….” he sighed, shaking his head. “I truly do not know…..

Kurama followed the now familiar path to the ward within the halls of Koenma’s home. It had been nearly a whole day since Meleena had stormed out of Koenma’s office, taking with her the last bit of hope they all had.

He had just left Hiei in Makai, slashing away at a horde of demons, trying to take the edge off of his increasing frustration. He turned the final corner in the hallway and stopped short when he heard a child’s weak laughter coming from Mina and Talon’s rooms.

They must be feeling somewhat better. he thought. Their voices are stronger, and they ever sound happy.

“Do that again, Mira.” came the boy’s voice. “I want to see the tiger demon again. Please!”

Go see what is happening in there, Kurama. Youko said. Kurama complied and slipped silently up to the door, peaking in and finding Kamirue with Yusuke and Keiko, each one holding one of their children while the walls of the room swirled with colors.

“Very well, my impatient patient.” Kamirue said, slightly amused. “But how about we let Mina have a turn, huh?”

“Yeah, you already had your twurn, ‘alon!” the little Keiko reincarnate yawned. “I wanna see the ‘olphins, ‘gain. Pwease, Mira?” Yusuke, who was holding his daughter, shook his head and pulled a small blanket over her.

“Well, let’s see if I can’t find a compromise, shall we?” she asked, winking at the kids. “Now close your eyes, and keep them closed until I say open.”

Kurama was amazed to find that Yusuke’s rambunctious children complied obediently, waiting for the word. Kamirue thumped one of the scythes at her side, and the designs on the wall swirled into shape, forming a jungle on one side of the room, and a deep sea chasm on the other.

She’s using her illusions to entertain the children. Kurama commented. How original.

She’s good. Youko commented, watching as a tiger demon began prowling through the tall grasses, occasionally peeking through the blades with yellow eyes. The other side of the room, the deep sea chasm, showed a pod of dolphins playing happily in a reef. She’s almost as good as her brother, I’d say. Of course, his illusions were never used to entertain some sick children.

You sound depressed, Youko. What’s wrong? Kurama asked, concerned over the kitsune’s latest mood swing.

It’s Kuronue. He told me something before he was killed in our last heist.

What was it?

He told me something about his sister Kamirue. Something that is slowly starting to ring true, now that I’ve seen her again.

And what would that be? Kurama asked, watching as the bat demoness in question gave Mina and Talon the word, and they opened their eyes. Excited squeals filled the room as the children pointed out all the little nuances and details to their parents.

He told me that Kamirue, or Mira as he called her, was the only person who he would ever bow down to. The girl was his family, and I never understood why he was the way he was when she was concerned.

They were family, Youko. What did you expect?

She never judged him, or me for that matter. Just as long as he came back to her, she was happy, even though it was only for a little while. I usually drug him off not long after we were both well enough for it.

You almost sound hurt….or dare I say jealous?

The bond those two had, it could never be broken, not even by me.

You tried to separate them?

I tried to use my affections for Kuronue as a wedge to drive between them But it didn’t work. He chose her love over me.

How could you do that, Youko? Kuronue was always loyal to you, you said that yourself.

I know. the spirit kitsune answered. I know. It was a stupid move on my part. It almost cost me Kuronue friendship.

Did you ever reconcile?

Of course. Youko said. When we all got together, we worked things out. And Kamirue told me that Kuronue could love whomever he chose, and that she would stand beside him. But if any of his lovers, including me, ever hurt him, there would be hell to pay.

And a few weeks after that, you had to tell her that her brother was dead.

She actually had tried to talk us out of that particular heist. It was the only one she had ever tried to stop us from going through with, but I wouldn’t let it be. Youko said solemnly. She just looked at me with those sad eyes, and then she told me that she never wanted to set eyes on me again.

Well, can you blame her?

It wasn’t my fault! Youko growled. Kuronue told me to leave him behind so I wouldn’t get caught as well!

I never said that it was your fault. Kurama answered. She was hurt, Youko. Her brother dead. You couldn’t exactly have expected a warm welcome from her after that.

She changed afterwards, you know. Youko said. She became cold, distant. Then I got word that she had gotten a job as the healer for the very family we had stolen that mirror from when Kuronue was killed. She wound up poisoning all of them as revenge for them killing Kuronue. Hell, she probably would have tried to kill me too, if she could have found me. Koenma exiled her to Demon World not long after that, and I hadn’t heard anything else. I’d never had suspected her of being capable of killing another being.

She seems fine now. Kurama said, shrugging.

She is as she should be. Youko said firmly. That woman in there, playing and smiling with Yusuke’s children is the one I remember. The one I was so fond of all those years ago. She never should have lost her happiness because Kuronue died.

Sounds like you were trying to snag both of them for your private harem. Kurama pointed out. He’d never heard the spirit fox speak so freely about another being other than Kuronue. And it was starting to worry him.

Not her, only him. She was still young when he died. Besides, Kuronue would have killed me himself if I had ever made a move in her direction. Despite her appearance, she is older than you may believe. Youko said.

She seems like a good person at heart. Kurama said.

She is. She always bandaged us up if we got hurt hunting, or in a get away or a heist. But she never said anything about it, just nursed us back to health, and then sent us on our way to cause more havoc. She more than likely did it because she knew I wouldn’t stop dragging Kuronue into my little jobs, even for her sake. I would have taken her in after Kuronue died, possibly as a lover, but more as a friend. But she didn’t want any help from anyone, let alone me.

She was exiled to Demon World for killing the ones responsible for her brother’s death. Kurama pointed out. You should have realized she wouldn’t be the same after that.

I should have done that, not her.

She couldn’t possibly have been as innocent as you make her sound. Kurama said skeptically. She was, at least to Kuronue and I, him more so than myself. She was pure, and sweet, not the way we see her in front of Koenma.

“Come on, Mira! I wanna to see da pandas ‘gain.” Mina said, stifling a yawn. “Pwetty pwease?”

“That is enough for now.” Kamirue said as she stood up from the bed, wrapping her illusions around the room to make it look like their own room in the Human World. “I’ll be back this evening and we can play some more if you’re feeling up to it.”

“That’s right, you both need some rest.” Keiko said, tucking Talon into the bed beside his sister.

“Mmmmooooommmm….” Talon whined. “I don’t want to go back to sleep!”

“But I don’ wanna sweep!” Mina said irritably, imitating her big brother and looking up at her father with big brown eyes.

“I’ll tell you what, baby girl,” Yusuke said, grinning at his daughter. “you guys rest, and I’ll bring you a treat when you wake up. How’s that sound?” The two children nodded and snuggled up underneath their blankets.

“Rest, little ones.” Kamirue said, stroking their heads gently.

“m’kay.” Talon’s sleepy voice said.

“o’tay.” Mina murmured, hugging her brown teddy bear tight. Kamirue smiled and nodded to Yusuke and Keiko, who were sitting on either side of the bed their babies were sleeping in.

She moved towards the door, somewhat surprised to find Kurama peeking into the room. The kitsune made a hushing movement and waited until she was out of the room, and the door was shut before addressing her.

“They seem better.” he said. Kamirue nodded and walked towards her own room. Kurama followed behind her silently, knowing there were others who were still sleeping in the surrounding rooms.

“Is there something I can do for you, Kurama?” she asked, leading him into the room she had commandeered as her own.

What about me? Youko asked. I’m here too!

She doesn’t want anything to do with you, remember?

“I was just coming to see how they were doing. Have you been able to mix up anything to stop the spread of the virus yet?” he asked, taking a look at her array of herbs on the table tops.

“I figures something out for Yusuke’s and Keiko’s children.” she said, pushing her hair out of her face. “But not for Touya or Yukina.”

“And Botan?”

“She keeps tossing and crying out for Koenma.” she said. “I just don’t know what to do, to be perfectly honest, Kurama. Unless can get those plants, I can only treat the symptoms, and not the problem.” She dropped down into a chair and put her face in her hands.

She’s tired. Youko said, noticing the circles under her eyes. She needs to rest.

How much you want to bet she hasn’t slept since she started this? Kurama asked.

“I’m sure Koenma is doing his best to retrieve those blossoms.” he said reassuringly. “He’s just as concerned about Botan as the rest of us are. He’ll find a way.”

“You seem so sure of that.” she commented, hoisting herself up to mix some other concoction. “I don’t think Meleena is going to let her guard down that easily.”

“Koenma may be a jerk, but he still has his uses at times.” Kurama said. “What are you working on?”

“It’s used to break fevers and calm patients down.” she said, crushing some leaves together.

She’s using herbs from Demon World. Youko commented, looking at the ingredients carefully. Kurama, give her something for our collection that may help.

Kurama reached into his hair and gathered a single green seed into his palm, allowing Youko’s control to force it to bloom into a single white, multi-petal blossom while still in his hand.

“Have you tried this?” Kurama asked, setting the flower down on the table. Kamirue looked at the blossom and frowned, fingering the petals lightly when a far away look crossed her face, before utterly disappearing as she whirled around to face the red-headed kitsune avatar.

“Tell Youko that he can keep his plants to himself.” she said coldly. “I don’t need his help. Although from what Hiei told me, the damned kitsune can hear me well enough from where ever he is!” She placed the white bloom back into his hands and turned away to continue her work “He doesn’t know as much as he may think.

Kurama blinked in surprise and just stared at her back for a moment in surprise.

She really doesn’t like you, does she? Kurama asked.

Not my fault she doesn’t want help. Youko answered angrily, not liking how he had been dismissed by her. Youko pushed at the constricting hold Kurama had on him, trying to get out to give the woman a piece of his mind. Kamirue must have sensed the struggle, because she turned around and looked up at him, a smirk on her face when Kurama’s eyes bled from the emerald green to a golden yellow, then receded back.

“Did I make him angry, Kurama?” she asked. “I know he never did appreciate people turning down his help. Youko always believed it to be rude, seeing as how he believed himself above the rest of us.”

Exactly. Youko said, his nose turning up haughtily. I deserve the utmost respect.

You are utterly impossible, Youko. Kurama said. Your ego will be the death of us all!

“It would seem that Youko agrees with you.” Kurama answered, smiling gently as the kitsune cursed him into the darkest regions of the Netherworld and back. “He is quite vocal about it as well, unfortunately.”

Kamirue smiled and wiped her hands on her skirt, then reached up and grasped Kurama’s head in her hands. She looked into his eyes and could see they were bleeding into the amber color again, undoubtedly showing that Youko’s personality was slowly coming through.

“Listen to me, you fickle fox.” she said. “Quit your incessant preening, presenting, pouting, and posturing! You’re enough to drive anyone crazy when you’re not in their head! So do us all a favor and shut up.” She let go of his head and went back to her work as though nothing out of the ordinary had ever happened.

Unknown to her, Youko had promptly sat down and shut up, causing Kurama to marvel at the amount of control the demoness in front of him had over the ancient fox spirit inside himself.

Seems like she likes me well enough. Kurama said, chuckling.

How dare she? Youko fumed. That egotistical, overbearing woman has no right to be ordering me around! Just wait until I get my claws on her…

“Besides, I couldn’t use that plant for Yukina and Touya. It would kill them almost immediately.” Kamirue said absently.

“Excuse me?” Kurama asked.

“That particular bloom is toxic to ice apparitions.” she said calmly. “It’s also too strong for Mina and Talon. The only person I could use it on would possibly be Botan, but that was only if it was cured correctly, which it is not.”

“Sounds like you’ve done this before.” Kurama commented.

“I was one of the healers who was around the last, and only time, Devil’s Fever broke out in Demon World.” she answered. “I learned from my mistakes then, and now I know. At the time, there was enough trial and error to learn what we needed.”

Kurama remained silent for a while, contemplating. Meanwhile, Youko was having a hissy fit, wanting to know how all this tied in together.

Ask her. Youko prodded. I want to know what happened the last time this disease came out. There’s some things I just can’t piece together, and she knows it!

Which is probably why she isn’t telling us. She’s not going to tell us anymore because she knows you can hear it, Youko! Youko just growled and forcibly pushed his way out of Kurama’s laxed grip.

“How did you end up like this?” Kurama asked, his voice going a little deeper as more of Youko spilled over. “All of this, Meleena, you, it all fits together, but how?

Kamirue looked up at him, seeing the struggle for control that was taking place within the red headed detective. She finished mixing the salve and set it to the side, then washed her hands.

“How much as Youko told you about me?” she asked.

“You were Kuronue’s sister, and you are a healer that trained with the water demoness’. But that is about it.” Kurama said. Kamirue nodded and took a seat on the table top, gesturing for Kurama to take a seat.

“It’s a long story, Kurama.” she said.

“I’m willing to listen, if you’ll tell me.” Kurama said.

“Youko’s curiosity is getting the best of him, isn’t it?” she grinned.

“You have no idea.” Kurama groaned. Kamirue nodded and settled in to tell her tale.

“It started a couple hundred years ago. As you know, the water demon race is a mostly matriarchal society. When Meleena was conceived, her mother Blaize was the high priestess, or Carrier, of the Elders, the host body for the deity’s spirit. So, she stayed in close connection with Koenma. Well, one thing led to another, and Meleena was conceived. I was under Koenma’s employment at the time, here in the castle, so I watched over Blaize for a while. As you know, the union between a Spirit World ruler and a demon has always been looked down upon. So, Blaize went back to her homelands, resuming her position as the Carrier.

It wasn‘t long after that, the Netherworld leaders were getting restless, and starting to cross over the barriers and into Demon World. It got a little out of hand, and a large number of bloody fights broke out, not too far from the lands Blaize and the others called home. Well, when the healers found half-dead men on their very doorsteps, they took them in without asking any questions and healed them. Koenma found out about it, though, and accused Blaize of treason. He wouldn’t listen to reason when she tried to explain that she hadn’t known they had come from Netherworld, and even went so far as to deny that the child she carried belonged to him.

So, the Elders were exiled to the Netherworld. And a very pregnant Blaize was stripped of her demonic abilities and sent to the Living World. I kept in contact with her as much as I could. Of course, Koenma knew nothing about it, and asked no questions when I would leave for a few days to go tend to her. When Blaize went into labor, I helped her birth Meleena. And it was I who brought the girl to Koenma, and showed him the family markings on her back. But, he still refused to believe that Meleena was his daughter. Needless to say, I raised hell, and he dismissed me.

So, I took Meleena back to her mother, promising to do what I could. Without my station as Koenma’s head healer, I couldn’t cross the barriers anymore. So, I searched out my brother Kuronue. We had a stable life for a couple decades, until Youko came along. And as luck would have it, Meleena started showing signs of her heritage right about the same time Kuronue turned full time their. By then, Koenma had no choice but to realize Meleena as his own. While my brother and that damned fox were making a name for themselves, Koenma was having one hell of a time with Meleena.

He had her trained as an assassin, although she didn’t want to be. But, she worked for him in exchange for Blaize’s continued life. When her mother had been exiled to the Living World and stripped of her demonic abilities, she had slowly began to age. But, as long as Meleena kept quiet about who she was, and did what Koenma said, he’d keep Blaize alive by slowly feeding her body with its original demonic energy.

Then, Kuronue was killed in that failed heist in the castle in demon World. In retaliation, since I couldn’t find Youko, I went was hired on as the healer there. I poisoned the whole lot of them, killing them. I won’t go into the details, but suffice to say, the remaining rulers were clamoring for my blood, and Koenma sentenced me to exile in the darkest parts of Demon World.

About fifteen years after I was exiled, Devil’s Fever broke out for the first time. I worked with the remaining healers I could contact from the water demon race, but most of them had turned their backs on me because of what I had done. Still, there were a few that I could meet up with occasionally, and we done what we could. By the time we came up with a cure, the sickness had pretty much burned itself out. So, the cure was not largely distributed.

A couple years later, I took a mate and had two sons of my own. Unfortunately, they were murdered twenty-four years ago, right about the time Yusuke became a Spirit Detective, in fact. They were with their father, and a bunch of Netherworld foot soldiers invaded Demon World, but were eventually pushed back.

The casualties were great, and I could have saved my family had I been there, but Koenma didn’t keep their spirits from being ferried across to the Underworld. I begged him to bring them back so that I could use my knowledge to heal them, but he refused.

I would later find out that it had been the right time for my mate to die, but not my boys, much like Yusuke’s situation. But, Koenma didn’t give them a second chance at life, and I lost them for good.

And now, I’m standing here, trying to figure out what I can possibly do to keep more innocent people from loosing their lives; because with Meleena's stubbornness, it's going to take something major for her to change her mind.”

-

A/N - Okay, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It’s the longest one, and hopefully it answered some of the questions you had. If you have anymore after this point, or if I didn’t cover anything you are wondering about, feel free to email me, and I will be glad to answer you back.

Bye,

A.A.

Oh, and remember to review. I want to know what everyone is thinking.