Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Slight Problem ❯ A New Mission ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Here's Chapter Two of Slight Problem!! Please tell me what you think!! R&R!!
 
I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or any of the characters within that series, except for my own two characters in this story, Natalie and Lisa.
 
***************************
 
Yusuke growled as he entered the toddler's office in Otherworld. Kurama was already there and looked a little irritated himself. Today was SUPPOSED to be their day off. But Botan had informed them that that day off had been canceled by Koenma due to some unforseen emergency.
Kuwabara walked at his side, his own face set in a scowl. He had been visiting with Yukina when the Reaper had informed him that they had to see Koenma for an assignment, and he wasn't too impressed with the toddler himself. But he was a little more amicable about the whole situation than Yusuke himself was.
But hard on their heels was the angriest of them all... Hiei. His red eyes glinted murderously, and told them all that Koenma had better have one DAMNED good explanation for calling them in on their day off.
"Yo, TODDLER!!!!" Yusuke growled when he entered the office. Koenma looked understandably nervous when they came in. "I'm supposed to be on a date with Keiko right now, so you better have one fucking good explanation for calling us in like this!!!!"
Hiei was fingering the hilt of his sword, his own expression promising death to the infant seated before them. "I was under the impression that a day off meant no work on that particular day, Koenma. So if this is not a matter of great importance, then I can promise you, you will regret it!"
Kurama held up his hands in a gesture of peace, before his companions could speak any further. "Let us have patience. I'm not any happier than you are about being called in, but we must assume that it IS an emergency. Koenma wouldn't call us in if it was anything but, correct?" he asked, looking at the infant a little pointedly.
Koenma looked greatly relieved at having the kitsune there. Kurama had always been more reasonable than the other three.
"That's correct. I had little choice but to call the three of you in here. It's not as if I dig through files to find something for you to do. This is a very sudden and unexpected situation, and I need the four of you to get to the bottom of it as quickly as possible."
Yusuke scowled slightly and Hiei took his hand off the hilt of his sword. "Then tell us what it is, toddler! And this had better be good! Keiko was ready to have a fit when Botan came to pick me up!!"
He nodded. "Very well, Yusuke. It's quite an interesting and strange situation and I'm not sure how it happened but..." He looked a little embarrassed. "It's concerning two girls that appeared seemingly out of nowhere. And one of them has a great deal of spirit energy within her."
The four of them immediately perked up in interest. "Really?" Kurama asked. "Who are these girls? Where are they now?"
Koenma shook his head. "I have no idea who they are. I've looked through all my records and there is no indication of them having existed before. It's as if they just came from out of nowhere. There's no record of them at all. They just... appeared."
Kuwabara's brow furrowed. "Demons?"
Koenma shook his head. "Definitely not. They are both definitely human. But I have no idea where they came from or how they got here. That's what I need you four to find out. As well, of course, if that one woman is a threat."
Kurama nodded. "So our mission is to apprehend these girls, then?"
He noddd in return. "Yes. And bring them to me."
Hiei snorted. "What do these girls look like? And where are they?"
"They appeared on the North Side of Tokyo... the Nerima District. Thankfully, there was a bird flying by the mouth of the alleyway and we managed to get a brief image of the girls relayed to us telepathically." On a television screen behind the infant, the image suddenly appeared. It showed a tall blonde girl dressed in baggy pants and a sweatshirt, shaknig a shorter, dark hard girl by the shoulders. The dark haired girl broke away from the contact and they seemed to argue for a moment, but then the image faded away. None of what they had said came through. It was simply the image. He backtracked the tape and paused it. They got a better look at the short girl.
She stood only perhaps and inch or two taller than Hiei and had dark brown hair that went to about half down her back. She wore all black... black jeans, black sleeveless shirt, black boots that came just past her ankles, and a black jean jacket, open in the front, with the sleeves torn off.
Kuwabara blinked, looking at them. "Which one has the power? The tall blonde girl?"
Koenma shook his head. "No, it's the shorter of the two." He looked at the four of them. "Now, listen. Like I said, I want you to apprehend these girls. Do NOT hurt them unless it is absolutely necessary. I need to find out how they got here so we can prevent an incident like it from occurring again. Once you have them, contact Botan and bring them here."
The four of them nodded as one.
"Botan is outside the door and will teleport you to the alley where they appeared. They showed up only about two hours ago. You should be able to find them quickly enough."
The four of them turned and headed out the door to meet up with Botan.
 
*********************
 
Lisa sighed in relief as she and Natalie left the bistro. She had somehow managed to get 5000 yen off of businessman who was passing by, using some magic technique to hypnotize him or something to that effect. Natalie told her there was more to it than that, but that was a basic explanation.
So the first thing they had doen was get something to eat. They had gotten a single sandwich each, and were now down to 4000 yen... confirming that things really were more expensive in Japan than in America or Canada. Natalie had gotten headache from her little mind trick, and was currently rubbing her temples a little irritably.
"Okay, now what do we do?" Lisa asked, noticing that the streets seemed to be emptying. She could only guess, but she figured it was around supper time.
Natalie sighed, leaning against a wall. "I dunno... Find a place to stay? We don't have the kinda cash to get a hotel room, so I think we'll have to find a nice abandoned building somehwere if that's what the plan is going to be."
Lisa made a face at the thought of it, but she supposed they had little choice in the matter. "Okay... so where do we find this abandoned building? It's not like we know our way around Tokyo or anything..."
Natalie shrugged. "No idea. I guess we'll just have to keep our eyes open and hope for the best. If we can't find an abandoned building, then I guess we'll just have to..." Her eyes suddenly went enormous and she whirled. "SHIT!!!!!"
Lisa was alert in an instant and looking along with her. "What is it?"
"I sense four powerful energy signatures coming this way, and I don't think I have to tell you who I think they belong to!!!"
Lisa freaked. "What do we...?!"
Natalie grabbed her friend by the hand. "I'll try to suppress my own energy and hope that they can't pick up on it! In the meantime, we have to assume that they know what we look like because of Koenma, and so we've gotta get outta sight! Come on!" She raced down the street as quickly as she could go, her friend shakily following.
The shorter girl lead them into a strip mall, and immediately entered, heading for the backside exit without even batting an eye.
"Do you really think this is going to work? With his jagen eye, Hiei could probably find our location in a second!" Lisa protested, her eyes huge and her face white.
"I put up a barrier around my mind... and you should just try to keep your thoughts away from them unless it's absolutely necessary for as long as you can! Hopefully, that will be enough to keep them at bay for a little bit!"
"HOPEFULLY?!" Lisa moaned, thinking 'we're dead'!
Natalie dragged Lisa out the back entrance to the mall and into an alley way. From there, she unexpectedly thew her arms around her taller friend's midsection, and, letting a loose a small burst of energy, catapulted the two of them to the rooftops. Lisa let out a little screech of surprise at this action, but was even more surprised when Natalie instructed her friend to get on her back.
"Huh?" she asked a little dumbfoundedly.
She rolled her eyes. "Get on my back! The quickest way to get away from here is by jumping from roof to roof, and getting to another section of the city! That should give us a little more time!"
Lisa gulped, a little uncertain about this. Not that she didn't trust her friend or anything, but she just had a terrible fear of heights and falling. But, given the alternative, having the Spirit Detectives find them and start a little interrogation... She shivered at the thought of Hiei and immediately climbed on her friend's back.
 
****************************
 
The Spirit Detectives looked at their surroundings carefully as Kuwabara kept his senses acute, trying to pick up on the energy of the mysterious girls. Botan had dropped them off about ten minutes ago, and thus far they had seen nothing but normal citizens making their way home for dinner.
"Are you feeling anything, Kuwabara?" Yusuke asked.
The human shook his head. "Not a thing. Believe me, if I pick up on something, you guys'll know about it."
Kurama frowned, taking in his surroundings again. "Well, they couldn't have gotten far. I suppose all we can do is keep looking. If they are from another realm, as we suspect, then that means they don't have a home of their own. They would have nowhere to go except for public businesses."
Yusuke nodded. "Good point. We should check some of the restaurants and stores in the area. Maybe someone's seen them."
The kitsune nodded. "Kuwabara, you can come with me. We should do this in pairs, just to be safe."
Nodding, the human joined the fox as Yusuke and Hiei went off in the other direction to peek inside some of the places and ask the patrons if any girls matching their descriptions had come into their establishments.
Kurama and Kuwabara hit the jackpot in moments when they entered a bistro and had confirmation from the man behind the counter.
They quickly raced out onto the street, meeting up with Yusuke and Hiei.
"That guy in Taka's Bistro said that two girl's lookin' just like the one's we're lookin' for came in there about fifteen minutes ago!" Kuwabara said.
Yusuke nodded. "Good. They should be close by, then. We just need to keep looking and..."
Kuwabara's eyes suddenly went huge and he turned, looking down the street.
"Kuwabara?" Yusuke asked.
"I just felt a burst of chi coming from that way! It was only about four blocks from here... on the other side of the Strip Mall, I think!"
Kurama nodded immediately. "Then let's go! It may have been that girl."
The four of them started off down the street in a run, looking around themselves carefully on the off chance that Kuwabara's senses were mistaken. They made their way through the mall, not pausing for even an instant as they left through the back entrance and entered the alley in the back.
Kuwabara nodded immediately. "This is the place all right! I can sense a chi trail... leadin' from here to..." He blinked. "The roofs?"
The four of them exchanged several looks, then shrugged as one before leaping up to the top of the building.
 
*****************************
 
There's Chapter two!! Tell me what you think, please!! R&R!!!!