Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Beginning ❯ Jewels, Wands, and Calls ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ok, I should put in a small key, because there's more then one language being spoken. This will only be used if there are two languages being used at the same time; other then that, its just normal.
 
“English”
 
“Japanese”
 
Also, if you see things are different then in the original series, that is because this is fanfiction. There are going to be differences as I see fit! God! *stomps away*
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho, or Harry Potter. They belong to their respective owners. I don't even own the plot line. That belongs to my late friend Lia. May her soul rest on in peace.
 
*
 
Chapter 2
 
As the sun rose above the city, its rays would find Kurama sitting on a bed in the inn, surrounded by shining jewels, books, vials of unidentified liquids, gold, silver, and copper coins, and jewelry. The redhead in question sighed. `I'm going to have to return these eventually…' But instead of doing so, he pulled out a bag and shoved all the items into it, and then moved it into his suitcase, using a small blade of grass to cut out the top, then used a few vines to secure it to underside of the suitcase then used more string-like vines to sew it back into place, making it look natural.
 
Kurama got off the bed, and changed into clothes suitable for today's shopping spree they would be taking. Brushing his hair, he walked out of his room, locking the door behind him, and walked to Yusuke's room. He could hear the boy snoring away in there, and picked the lock. Creeping into the room, Kurama bent down next to the boy, then whispered.
 
“Yusuke, demons kidnapped Keiko.”
 
Yusuke shot straight out of bed, hand going to a gun formation, before spotting Kurama and relaxing.
 
“Kurama, what the hell!”
 
“We have shopping to do, people to meet, and a school to go to. You also have to learn English. I want to get this over with. Also, I have to take care of some personal business. Help me get Kuwabara up.”
 
Yusuke groaned, but got up anyways. Kurama waited until he was finished dressing, then they both went over to Kuwabara's room. It was unlocked, so they just walked in, and Yusuke walked over to the bed, lifted up the mattress, and dumped the occupant onto the floor.
 
“Gah!”
 
Yusuke started to laugh, while Kurama rolled his eyes. At least his wake up call didn't include a five minute fist fight… Which was now taking place.
 
“What the hell did ya do that for Urameshi!”
 
“Because Kurama wants to leave!”
 
“I do, so now start acting your age and let's go.” Kurama said shortly, turning and walking out of the room, and downstairs.
 
“What's his problem?” Kuwabara muttered, and Yusuke kicked him in the head.
 
“Moron.”
 
*
 
Walking down Diagon Alley, Yusuke and Kuwabara took in the sights, smells, and sounds excitedly. Kurama wasn't that amazed, but of course, some of the noises were new; the night is a lot quieter when not filled with bustling parents, children, and shoppers.
 
“Yusuke, did Koenma give you the key to his vault?” Kurama asked, looking over his shoulder to the younger boy.
 
“Yup!” Yusuke pulled out a key that looked like it was made of gold, but Kurama could tell it wasn't. He took the key and pocketed it, then walked into a large white building. The other two followed, and when they caught up, Kurama and a demonic looking creature were waiting for them near a set of doors. A look around showed many more of these creatures.
 
Yusuke walked up to Kurama and asked in a low voice “What the hell are these things?”
 
“Goblins,” Kurama answered. “Originated from the Demon World, been living here in this realm for centuries.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“Now if you're ready, we can go get our money.” Yusuke and Kuwabara nodded, and the four of them made their way down to a small wooden cart, that didn't look that safe. Kurama looked at it for a moment, then stepped in, followed by Yusuke, then Kuwabara. The cart then lurched forward suddenly, catching Kuwabara and Yusuke off guard, but Kurama just grabbed the side of the cart quickly, and kept speeding downwards past many vaults, and what Yusuke swore was a dragon. He couldn't get a good enough look in the dark. When the cart stopped, Kuwabara leaned over the edge and threw his breakfast up. Yusuke was a strange shade of green, and Kurama just brushed his hair back into place with his fingers. Kurama handed the key to the goblin, and the goblin opened the vault, showing a rather large amount of money.
 
“Woah, the toddler's loaded!” Yusuke said, wide eyed.
 
“Not really, I've seen more.” Kurama replied airily. “Of course, this is probably a small account of Koenma's. No fool would keep all their money in the same place.”
 
“Yeah, then you would have an easier job.” Kuwabara added, and the three started to fill their bag with the strange looking coins.
 
“So Kurama, all knowing fox, what're these coins worth?”
 
“The little copper ones are Knuts, the silver ones are Sickles, and the gold ones are Galleons. Twenty-nine Knuts to a Sickle, seventeen Sickles to a Galleon. Simple really. So a Galleon is around 850 yen.”
 
“I see…”
 
“Don't worry too much about it, it gets simpler, just don't bargain.”
 
“Gotcha.”
 
They filled their bags, and took the nauseating trip back to the surface. Once they got their stomachs back where they belonged, they headed out back into the alley, and looked at their lists.
 
“Shall we get our robes first?”
 
“Sure, lead the way, fox man.”
 
Kurama rolled his eyes, but lead the way down the crowded street, and walked into a store called `Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions.' Kuwabara and Yusuke followed him in, and took a seat next to Kurama, as the owner seemed busy with a girl Yusuke's age. Her hair was a bushy brown color, and Yusuke seemed to picture Keiko when looking at her, though he didn't know why.
 
“Hello boys, I'll be with you in a moment.” The woman said cheerfully, and Kurama nodded, signaling that he heard her. A few minutes later, the girl left with a bag full of black robes, and the woman came over to the boys.
 
“So who's first?”
 
“Yusuke, she said you're going first.” Kurama said, saving an argument between the two boys - he knew from experience they would fight over who went first. Yusuke fell for it, and stood up, then went and stood on the stool. The woman measured him for his school robes, and Kurama then asked if they could get a pair of forest green robes for casual wear in his size. The woman did so, and when Yusuke was finished, he had three pair of school robes and a pair of green robes, that matched his Japanese school uniform. He also had a matching hat for both colors. Kuwabara went next, and he ended up with the same thing as Yusuke, though his casual robe was a turquoise blue - “To match my beautiful Yukina!"
 
Kurama went last, and he ended up with five sets of robes. The three required black robes, and then a pair of grass-stain green robes with rose red lining, and a pair of whitish-silver silk robes with gold trimming. Kurama made a mental note to come back and get more; that one pair of blood red robes had caught his eye.
 
They then continued their shopping, picking up their potion ingredients and equipment, parchment and quills (Kurama made Yusuke and Kuwabara get self-inking quills, just to save them the trouble.), and other supplies. They only had a few stops left now, and Kurama liked this next stop more then the other ones; Flourish and Blotts. After purchasing their books, and Kurama few extra to study up on, they headed out to the pet shop; Magical Menagerie.
 
Yusuke took a quick look around, and decided to go get an owl instead. So he left the shop, and headed to the Owl Emporium. Kuwabara went with Yusuke, claiming he already had a pet, and didn't need another one. So Kurama was left alone to browse the animals here. Spotting a cage in the back corner, he made his way over, and crouched down in front of it. Inside was a small red fox, a small red leaf marking on his muzzle. His eyes were a bright green color, and had a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. Picking up the cage, he decided to get the little guy, and brought the fox up to the front counter.
 
“Oh, so you're gonna buy the little fox?” The woman at the counter asked, looking fondly at the fox. “He's a good pet, mind you, but he's such a little trouble maker! He always took customers jewelry and money, and we never found out how!”
 
“How much?”
 
“Fifteen Galleons.”
 
Kurama paid, and also bought a leash and a collar. Putting them on, he led the fox outside, and then headed to the Own Emporium, to get the other two human boys. Upon reaching it, Yusuke and Kuwabara were discussing which one would probably last a flight to Japan and back.
 
“The black one has bigger wings, it'd do better then that one.”
 
“But that means it may get tired faster, go for the brown one.”
 
“Which one idiot? There are a lot of brown ones!”
 
That one!” Kuwabara pointed at a small brown bird that was flapping its wings madly to hover in the air.
 
“Are you mad?! That thing would drown before it even got close!”
 
“How would you know? It would go faster then that black one.”
 
“See how tiny the thing is? It'll flap to death before it reaches Japan!”
 
“Boys,” Kurama interrupted before they got violent and got kicked out of the store, “Yusuke, the black one is a good choice, and it's an Eagle breed so it has better stamina. Kuwabara, the brown one is for local deliveries only.”
 
After a few more snide comments from Yusuke and an exchange of money later, they headed to their last stop, Ollivander's. Entering the shop, the boys stand against the wall, waiting for someone to come out. A minute later, a scraggly looking old man came out, and looked them over with strange lunar-like eyes.
 
“So, come to get your wands, have you?”
 
“Yes,” Kurama said, the only one able to speak English.
 
“Then come forward and let's get you a wand!”
 
Kurama pushed Yusuke forward, and Ollivander took out a measuring tape.
 
“Stick out your wand arm.” Ollivander said, and Kurama translated. Yusuke stuck out his right hand, and the tape measurer started to measure, while Ollivander looked over the shelves. Handing the startled punk boy a wand, he backed off, just in case. Yusuke stared at it a few moments, before it was snatched right out of his hands.
 
“No, that's not it!” Handing the now confused boy another wand, this continued until the fifth wand, where Yusuke felt a surge of power, and with a tiny wave, sky blue sparks shot out of the tip.
 
“Ah, Maple with Phoenix feather core. A good wand indeed.”
 
Kuwabara went next, and when Ollivander handed him a wand, orange sparks shot out of the tip.
 
“My boy, you are lucky indeed, the first try! Willow with dragon heartstring core.”
 
Kurama went next, and it took a good while, at least twenty wands were tried. Some of the wands turned into small rosebushes, or reverted back into their natural tree. Some shot out bolts of energy and transformed other wands into bushes or plants.
 
“Here, try this one. Wasn't made here with usual wood, Rosewood was used in this wand, with a unicorn tail core.” Kurama took the wand, and with a small wave, a mist seeped out of the tip, making the people in the room get lightheaded and drowsy.
 
“Yes… that's the wand for you… That will be seventeen galleons.”
 
They paid for their wands, then headed back to the Leaky Cauldron. Kuwabara and Yusuke wanted to explore more, saying that they saw a really awesome shop and wanted all of them to go, but Kurama said that he had to get ready and wanted to rest a bit, so he headed back to his room, and the other boys went down to the quidditch shop, though they didn't know what it was.
 
Kurama set his bags down and started to load the trunk he had gotten. It was a nice trunk, made of Cherry wood, and impossible for most people to break into - though Kurama wasn't your average person - and was very roomy. When he was almost done, a beeping sound went off in his pocket, and pulling out the communication mirror, he flipped it opened, expecting to see the toddler god of hell or Yusuke, but was pleasantly surprised to see Hiei on the other end.
 
“Hello Hiei, what brings you to call me? I didn't know you had replaced your communicator.”
 
“I didn't, this is Yusuke's spare. And I had a few things to tell you from Genkai and Yukina.”
 
“So, what did they want to say?”
 
“Genkai said to watch your attitude, and to tell the detective to attend his classes, or for every day he misses is a weeks worth of training.”
 
“I'll remember that. Maybe I'll forget to tell him…” Kurama trailed off amused.
 
“I couldn't care less. Yukina said to be careful, she worries about you. She also would like to note to not lose their temper, even if you don't have a good history with them.”
 
“Tell her not to worry, I won't cause too much trouble.”
 
“That's all I have to say.”
 
“Aw, no little special message from you?” Kurama asked playfully, faking a pout. Hiei snorted and glared half-heartedly.
 
“Just watch your back, your in enemy territory. I don't trust those wizards. If they find out what you are…”
 
“Thanks Hiei, though I don't know… I'm still annoyed that they took me away from my mother… to protect their own kind. I would rather be protecting the people I care about.”
 
“If that's what's worrying you, I can keep an eye on her.”
 
“Really?”
 
Hiei grunted, and blushed slightly.
 
“Thank you Hiei.”
 
Kurama heard footsteps approaching his room, and then looked back at the monitor. “Well Hiei, I have to go, someone's coming. Take care.”
 
“What?”
 
Kurama closed the mirror and pocketed it, and the footsteps stop outside his door. A knock is then heard, and Kurama opens the door, and on the other side stood the man who had called them out here in the first place, Albus Dumbledore.
 
*
 
On the other side of the world, Hiei stared at the blank mirror, unamused at the rushed goodbye.
 
“Well goodbye to you too fox…”
 
TBC
 
- I did some research into this, so a Galleon does come out to about 850 yen. Playing around with conversions is fun, isn't it?