Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The eyes of the Raven ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: The Eyes of the Raven

Author: Skeren Dreamera

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Yu Yu cast!

Warnings: Yaoi/Shounen Ai

Notes: This is only the beginning, enjoy it.

Feedback: Mickeofas@yahoo.com

I didn't know what to make of Kurama's kindness to me after what he'd seen. It wasn't that I hadn't known it was here, as I had always known, in some way, that he could be so kind. It was why I'd wanted after him so badly. No, my confusion sprung from him using that kindness on me. I never thought he would after what I had done to him. That was no better than I deserved of course, since I had tried to kill him, knowing I could never have the chance to have him in life with the tournament looming over our heads.

I cannot apologize for that life either, as that would defeat my reasons. I am proud that I nearly killed him, even now. I was his equal for that time, and I know that. It brought me to what I am now, and I know I can never share that feeling of equality where he is concerned ever again. I am no longer who I was... I brought myself down to earth in a mental yank that I nearly expected to hear it was so sudden. Shaking off the considering mood I had woken up to, I tried out my hands, turning them this way and that consideringly. They moved as I wanted, but they shook, still fatigued from my earlier bout. I'd always been aware that I got cold so easily, but I had never been so afraid, and it had taken a toll on me. I'd never been so cold in my life and I was nearly horrified at my reaction to the events that had happened. Once I had completed my small evaluation, I opened my eyes to glance around the room, noting that I was no longer alone. I'd been alone after I'd gone to sleep, knowing that they had left me when they felt they could not, or perhaps would not, do anything more to warm me. It wasn't hard for me to tell that the person with me was not Kurama.

"I know you aren't asleep." Ah, so it was the black fire sprite then, and Kurama didn't know he'd come to see me, else I would already have known.

"I wasn't trying to convince you I was." Despite myself, I was interested in knowing the reason for the little one to seek me out.

Hiei dismissed my words with a sharp flick of his fingers, clearly not wanting to hear anything I had said. It was almost amusing. "I do not care what you intended. Why did you come here?" Was that anger I heard? It was. I was certain I had already explained the answer to his question. After all, what proud Youkai ever bowed before someone that they would be unwilling to listen to?

"Because Kurama is here. Don't you tell me that you are too foolish to realize the truth when it hits you in the face?" I pushed myself up to a sitting position, drawing the blankets higher around my shoulders in an effort to maintain the warmth they were giving me as I glared at the little impertinent fool. "Or should I say, when it kicks you in the chest?"

I knew I'd hit a nerve almost immediately, smirking a little as I felt the blade hovering near my throat in a fluid action. I made no move to dodge, and I barely even blinked in reaction. I was too smug over the tiny victory. My satisfaction grew with his expression until he spoke in a hiss. "Why should I believe a self serving liar like you?"

My mage flared suddenly as I registered the accusation, and I growled, hardly registering the blood starting to stain his blade as he pressed closer. "I have never had a cause to lie to you. How dare you accuse me of that when I have yet to ever do it!" I leaned up into the blade as my power started to flare, making the air around me flicker in a heated breeze.

Kurama's wandering thoughts ground to a halt and suddenly focused on me in shock as he pushed open the door to take in the scene. I realized all at once how we looked at the moment. Sparks were raising off of me as I glared at Hiei, whose sword at my throat was beginning to smoke in a hint of black fire. My immediate reaction to Kurama's presence was a fear that I was about to be in terrible trouble for quarreling with Hiei. Somehow missing the thoughts that Kurama always gave me, I heard him speak.

"Hiei, how could you?" Kurama yanked the angry little demon away to look at my neck, fingers running over the wound as his shock turned to anger. It completely rid me of my own anger in it's path, leaving me almost purring in Kurama's hands.

Hiei looked, to my point of view, far too shocked at Kurama's coming to my defense. "How could I? I'm looking out for your best interests!"

Kurama paused in his inspection , fingers still lightly framing my throat. "Looking out for my best interests? I did not give you permission to damage my newest toy." Kurama's voice was low, and I couldn't help the shaming pride that Kurama would defend me now that I he considered me as a harmless possession instead of a dangerous enemy.

"But he is dangerous!" Hiei gestured at me, and I felt Kurama's fingers tighten possessively. That would doubtless bruise, but I was somehow reassured in knowing that our bond wasn't entirely one way.

"Not to me." Kurama shook his head, turning his attention back to me in a dismissive gesture. "Hiei, I am going to have to ask you to leave for a while. I need the freedom to see what limits there are as to what I can do to my new pet."

Hiei glared, clearly having a tangible protest, instead just turning the look on me before flitting out of the window in an agitated flurry. Kurama looked back to me, having watched Hiei's leaving to be sure he went. He lifted his fingers away almost immediately after, and I was disappointed that even that painful touch was missing. He then spoke to me in a low, darkly possessive tone that I knew would never be used on anyone but me. "Now, what should I do with you until my Kaasan comes home?" The words inspired a disturbingly horrified glee in me, even as I shivered in comprehension of all the possibilities.

To be continued.