Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ THE WOLVES OF MUSHIYORI CITY ❯ Cheat Codes For Life ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 10: CHEAT CODES FOR LIFE
 
 
 
 
"Really, Kaito, I'm not all that surprised."
"This is what I get for taking your request to play dominoes at face value, isn't it, Amanuma?" Yu Kaito asked while trying to maintain his composure.
"Despite being an utter asshole and all, Mitarai's a pretty good guy. I suppose if I swung that way-"
Before standing up to leave Kaito let out a frustrated sigh which to his surprise came out as more of a gutteral growl. "Amanuma, would you kindly shut the fuck up?"
Amanuma laid down another tile and ended the game. "We're locked, man. Again. I swear you and Kuwabara are the only guys who can match me in dominoes." The Game Master stood and brushed his newly dyed red mowhawk out of his face and extended his hand to Kaito. "Good game, Yu. And no one swears as classy as you do."
Kaito shook the Game Master's hand since he knew that his ire could not remain stay raised as long as Amanuma was around.
 
"How is Yanagisawa?"
"...Scared, man. Between him and Asato....well, I'm here, aren't I? Please tell me you have a plan, Kaito. I'd even settle for one of Mitarai's dumbass plans."
"Kiyoshi is..." In the middle of talking Kaito paused which made Amanuma nervous. Yu Kaito was not supposed to be at a loss for words. "Borderline catatonic at the moment."
Amanuma awkwardly checked the wristwatch he suspended from the belt loop of his jeans. "That's a pity. Listen, I gotta go. Meeting Yana at the arcade. Get him over his fear and train him and all. Talk to Mitarai, okay?"
"Careful, you are almost sounding magnanimous concerning Kiyoshi."
Amanuma shrugged. "Deep down I really want to forgive the guy. All he needs to do is show the slightest bit of remorse for using people the way he does. See ya, Kaito."
 
Amanuma felt it difficult to maintain a somber mood when he saw Yana in his bright tidal blue suit.
"What's up, copycat? Nice suit. Where'd you get it, Pimp's Warehouse?"
"You're a regular Carrot Top, man. He's not funny either."
"Sorry, Yana, I couldn't hear you over your suit."
After exchanging a few more barbs concerning fashion Amanuma lead Yana to a shooting game and picked up one of the two light guns.
"If there is any problem that can't be solved by shooting zombies I haven't found it. Pick up the gun and let's get started."
 
After spending nearly fifteen dollars on Zombie Apocalypse Amanuma began slowly and subtly opening his psychic territory around himself, Yana and the game. Yana was too transfixed for the psychic change to register. Nor did he notice the smell of the rotting corpses ambling towards him or how within Amanuma's territory they posed a genuine threat.
The stakes of the game weren't apparent until the first time a zombie bit him while Amanuma's territory was open. After recoiling Yana began firing randomly into the crowd of zombies with reckless abandon.
 
Amanuma sighed and clucked his tongue and handed Yana the second gun he held. "It's just a game, Yana. Sure, it's real, but it's just a game." He pointed to the continue option that flashed on the screen when Yana was attacked again. "As long as you see the word 'continue' you can keep going as long as I'm here with you. I won't let you die. Get through the next two bosses and let's get some nachos."
 
After a period of apprehension Yana began lining up his shots slowly and surely while listening to Amanuma recite where each monster would spawn from memories of playing countless times. Shortly before the third boss was reached Amanuma grew silent until Yana heard him slurping from a soft drink.
"Where were you? I could have died!"
"I got thirsty. Now pay attention to the screen."
After Yana dispatched his last zombie boss he felt Amanuma's territory close but failed to see the Game Master around him until he noticed him looking grimly at the arcade jukebox.
 
"Not a single Atari Teenage Riot or KMFDM song. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you can't game to trendy pop stuff. Oh, hey, Yana. I see you survived that big redneck zombie. Congrads. It'd been awkward if you dropped dead in the middle of the arcade."
Yana searched around for a nearby stool and pulled one to him as Amanuma remained griping over the jukebox.
 
"I know what you're trying to do and thanks. What you don't get is I'm not scared of being torn about by demons. After what happened to me dying is the furthest thing from my mind. Getting captured, though, that truly frightens me."
"Yana....I know we don't know eachother all that well but I won't let you get captured. Come on outside, there's something I want to show you."
 
Once outside the arcade and out of sight of the people on the crowded street Amanuma stripped off his black t-shirt and revealed an image of a gorilla on his back for a moment to illustrate his point. "You ever play Donkey Kong, Yana? Donkey Kong doesn't worry about what might happen. He just keeps throwing barrels trying to keep his enemies at bay. He knows that if he accepts defeat in his mind that the world will follow. That's why I have a giant tattoo of him on my back."
Amanuma sighed when he noticed the strange look Yana gave him then revealed a smaller tattoo of a yellow circular character on his left shoulder. "Okay....maybe Pac-Man is a better example. Pac-Man has a single-minded obsession concerning the eating of dots. He knows that he has to deal with ghosts and that something terrible may happen but he doesn't let it concern him. He does what needs to be done. Basically, Yana, keep eating dots and throw barrels at any problems that come your way."
 
Yana took a moment to consider Amanuma's words and did something he no longer thought himself capable of. He laughed.
"Sorry, but...." He burst out once more in manic laughter and had to brace himself against the arcade wall to keep from falling.
Once he caught his breath he slapped Amanuma on the shoulder. "You are priceless. I didn't think I'd be able to laugh like that for a while. For a few seconds....I forgot. That was my problem. I couldn't forget what happened. Now it doesn't seem as bad."
His chuckles died down as he sat down on the street curb. "I once copied the memories of big Jack Kerouac fan. I forgot most of that stuff but there's a line from one of his poems that's been going through my head recently. 'There's a lot of shit on my soul'. That about sums it up for me. Tonight my soul feels a little less shitty. Thanks."
 
"I was trying to be deep but I'll settle for hilarious. Just as long as you're okay. Come on, you've still more training to do."
On the drive to the outskirts of town Amanuma ignored Yana's questions in favor of playing his radio loudly and drumming his fingers on the steering wheel which reminded Yana that not fifteen minutes earlier Ananuma nearly killed him via video game.
The car stopped at a small, rundown bar, the sign of which Yana could only make out a few letters.
"Baltic Avenue. It's a monopoly thing. Come on in and meet Mike."
 
Yana awkwardly waved to the long bearded bartender who waved back before reaching out his hand to Amanuma. "Good to see you, kid. Don't tell me you finally made a friend."
"You're a funny old guy, Mike. I don't mean your sense of humor, that's basically shit. There are other places to get drunk and play Dance Dance Revolution in case you don't know."
Mike smiled and laid a pile of dominoes and a pile of cards on the table. "Name your poison. Dominoes or Duel Monsters?"
"Might as well do both. We'll be here for a while. Be sure to ply my friend with liquor while he plays Dance Dance Revolution." Amanuma swiveled his bar stool to face Yanagisawa. "Trust me, it'll improve your reaction time."
"Okay, but why do I have to drink?"
Amanuma stared blankly at Yana and shrugged. "I guess you don't have to. I just can concieve of playing DDR sober. You can go your own way, though. Just remember that I'm opening my territory and something bad will happen every time you mess up. Have fun."
 
After his first misteps Yana's fears of being killed or plagued with a horrible affliction were laid to rest when his mistakes were punished by a jolt of pain up his spine.
The pain increased as he climbed the levels of the game with Amanuma occasionally glancing his direction and giving him a slightly encouraging thumbs up.
 
"Hey! I've been wondering...they have a machine like this in every arcade in town. Why'd we come here?" Yana asked between pants.
"To save you some face. It's just me and Mike here. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you look playing that game? Why do you think I have to get totally ripped before I play?"
 
Yana knew that his torture and training would be over once he felt Amanuma's psychic territory vanish. The second it did he hopped off the dance pad and onto the dirty floor of the tavern.
"I....hate....you...."
Amanuma bent down and handed a glass of water to the tired and overheated psychic. "This is the thanks I get for setting my game territory on a non-lethal mode? Ingrate. Let's go get something to eat. Watching you flail around like a dork has made me hungry."
 
Amanuma stopped at the closest all night fast food restaraunt he could find. "I paid for your games, plus I'm training you. It's only fair that you buy dinner." He checked the watch hanging from his belt loop and grutned. "It's almost three in the morning. It's only fair that you buy breakfast then. Besides some of us are poor students and not well-to-do spies."
He quickly ate and waited for the oportune time to speak when Yana's mouth was full.
"I'm not really sure how to say this...."
Yana hurriedly swallowed his food so he could speak. "You're not going to pull down your pants and show me a tattoo of Mario to illustrate your point, are you?"
The mounting awkwardness inside Amanuma vanished right then. "No, I just wanted to say that what you did the other day...that was some seriously brave shit you going into the makai and all. I don't think I would have done it and I have powers that could have defended me. That's it. I just thought you deserved some recognition, that's all."
"Forget about it. Hey, on a less awkward topic the world's probably going to end in two weeks. Are you going to spend your last days beating games you haven't played before?"
"Can't. Too busy. Since I've been jerking around with you guys my homework has been piling up. I've got a bunch of papers to bluff my way through. Besides, if I go around acting like the world's going to end then it will end. Oh!" Amanuma squirmed as he fished something from the pocket of his jeans.
 
He laid a small computer chip on the table and slid it over to Yana. "I got you something. Me and Kaito put it together. The weird stuff that guy does for fun. Anyway, it's a mod chip so you can access all sorts of cheats in video games. Remember that I can turn my territory into a game and with that chip and you cheat in a game. Just think of the possibilities."
"Can it get me a girl before the world ends?"
".....Me and Kaito aren't that good, Yana."