Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ THE WOLVES OF MUSHIYORI CITY ❯ Epilogue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

EPILOGUE
 
 
 
"Hey, Yu, how about a grilled cheese sandwich for the retired hero?"
"How about not tracking dirt on my carpet?"
Mitarai and Kaito glared at one another over a pile of dominoes.
"Guys, if I wanted lame couples' banter I'd hang with Kuwabara and Hannah," Amanuma said as he laid down his tile.
 
"Speaking of the gruesome twosome," Yana said, studying the dominoes in front of him. "I have it on good authority that one of them is pregnant...and it ain't Kuwabara."
"No shit?" Amanuma asked. "His cats aren't going to like that."
 
Kaito's doorbell rang and the psychics paused. Yana leaned to his side and peeked out of the window.
"Speaking of the sperminator..."
The psychics exchanged looks as they silently debated who was to get up to answer the door.
"Fine," Mitarai said with a sigh. "Let the wounded guy get the door. You guys got some gall calling me selfish."
 
The multitude of jabs at Kuwabara concerning his upcoming fatherhood stalled in Mitarai's head once he answered the door and could only stare.
"So, I hear there's a couple of scabs here that thing they know a thing or two about the game of dominoes," Kuwabara said before ushering Hannah into Kaito's apartment where she laid on the couch.
 
Yana and Mitarai left the table knowing full well that any game involving Kaito, Amanuma and Kuwabara would only involve them looking pathetically inept.
Mitarai smiled at Kuwabara when they passed. "Hannah's got a bun in the oven, huh?"
Kuwabara struck out his arm and twisted Mitarai's ear. "Dumbass, I haven't told her yet. She's been moody enough lately without this bit of news. Besides, she'll figure it out on her own eventually."
Amanuma slyly slid his arm over Kuwabara's shoulder. "Hey, man, you can tell me the truth...you're not the father, right?"
 
Kuwabara made a mock frown and pointed his thumb in Kaito's direction who's expression didn't change.
"Sorry, Kiyoshi. She overpowered me."
A soft chuckle reverberated around the table as Kuwabara sat down and shuffled the dominoes and grew exponentially louder.
Mitarai thought but nothing clever came to mind. "Man, fuck you jerks! I'm going out."
Once the laugher reached her Hannah sat up.
"What the hell are you guys laughing at?"
 
Mitarai barely reached the end of the parking lot when he ceased being able to move under his own power.
"Shouldn't you be battling the forces of darkness instead of playing pranks?"
Asato relinquished his territory and let Mitarai go.
"The last detective did his job a little too well. There's nothing to do. I've had to resort to beating the hell out of bullies and extorting them to make a couple of extra bucks. You could have mentioned that the pay was a joke."
When Asato extended his hand Mitarai could only look at it in confusion.
"Shake my hand, asshole. You're making me look dumb."
Asato put his hand back into his pocket and sighed once it became apparent Mitarai wouldn't be able to rein in his emotions.
"You just had to make this more awkward, didn't you?"
 
Using his forearm to wipe his running nose and watering eyes Mitarai attempted to regain his composure. "Sorry, Asato. Emotional couple of months. So...uh, what now?"
Asato shrugged. "Buy some lottery tickets and search the streets for demons and loose change. See you later."
Once he reached a length of thirty feet the new Spirit Detective stopped. "By the way, congradulations are in order. We did a poll around the office. You were voted the least trustworthy detective. Personally, I feel safer as your friend than your enemy now."
Mitarai found himself unable to voice the things to say to his friend and replacement. Advice, encouragement, warnings about growing resentful of the people he was charged to protect, but mostly relief that he was now out of a job and could start acting like a human being again.
 
 
 
 
THE END
 
 
Thanks to Hannah and my sister Kris for their support and encouragement during the writing process.
The least I can do is pimp their fics. Check out the respective works of Chaosmage here and TouchofPixieDust on fanfiction.net.
Shilling over.
Thanks for reading.