Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Theives' Guild ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or its characters. Everyone else, however, belongs to me.
Chapter One
Youko and Kuronue crept to the hut. It was said to have some amazing object there in ancient times. It was the only clue to lead them to the Madain Sarai. It was an ancient city, made entirely underground where an entire kingdom survived until they had to abandon it a century ago. The object was supposed to have a map of some sort in or on it.
It made sense to hide it here, in this small hut in the middle of nowhere on sacred ground.
The object was an orb held in the innermost room, they soon found out. The Man and Woman who lived here tried to stop them at the front room. Youko knocked them out with a plant and the two thieves moved on. Youko opened the door to the right. It showed sleeping children. Their ages must have ranged from fifteen to six. He closed the door softly and moved to the left one.
It led to a hallway. The room in question was at the end of the hall. Kuronue grabbed the glass orb from its place just as the door opened behind them. They twirled, coming face-to-face with a girl. She was probably the oldest of the children, around seventeen or eighteen, Youko guessed. She hadn't been sleeping with the other children.
With reddish brown hair, pale skin, and sparkling sapphire eyes, she was very beautiful. She wore a white haori with black hakama. The daughter of a Miko. Her eyes flickered between the two of them and the orb Kuronue was holding.
She dove for it. Kuronue wasn't fast enough, surprisingly. She was quick enough to knock it out of his grasp. He almost managed to pull away though, so she wasn't able to keep a hold on it. All three in the room dove to catch it, but it shattered on the floor despite their efforts.
Growling, Kuronue grabbed her and hauled her up by the front of her shirt. “Do you have any idea how valuable that was?”
“It's the only valuable thing we have. Of course I know. I know it better than you can imagine.” She growled back at him. “Now look what you did!”
“What we…”
“Yes, you. Now we'll all have to leave, and Kami knows where we'll end up.”
Kuronue was about to strangle her. “Stop.” Youko ordered. “What do you mean, you know it better than we can imagine?”
She spat at him. “I'm not telling you anything”
Kuronue took the hint. “Do you know that it was a map to Madain Sarai?” He demanded.
“More than know it.” She hinted. “Not that it'll help you now. Map's gone, unless you want to try to put all the pieces back together.” She smiled. Youko couldn't fault her for it. She had merely done her duty. Protect the map, don't let anyone use it.
Kuronue punched her, sending her into the wall. She hit it with a thunk and a gasp, but soon had the smile back on her face. “And the best part is it isn't gone forever!” She laughed.
He went to kick her, but Youko stopped him. “You have it memorized.” It wasn't a question, so she didn't answer. He took a step toward her. “You have every road, word, and village stored in your head.”
“And? Not like you can get it from there.”
Youko laughed. “Perhaps not, but maybe we can convince you to give us the information we came for.”
With absolutely terrible timing, the youngest of the kids plodded down the hallway. He got to the door just as Kuronue did, and he seized him. Kuronue held a blade to the boy's throat.
“How about a trade. You tell us where Madain Sarai is, we'll let the boy live.” The girl's jaw was set.
“Don't tell them Sis!” the boy yelled before Kuronue shushed him. A drop of blood fell from the blade. She hung her head.
“Fine. I'll warn you though, the map only leads you to a clue, not Madain Sarai. It's in a cave north of Acoma.” She informed them. Youko hadn't expected her to give it up for a kid.
“And why should we believe you're telling us the truth? You could just be trying to get rid of us.”
“It's my Mom's job to guard the secrets of the map. It's mine to take care of the kids. If you think I'm lying, let Haru go and I'll go with you.”
“No! Ayume, don't!” The boy yelled. Tears streamed down his face.
“Ayume huh?” Kuronue dropped the boy, knocking him out with a swift jab to the neck. “Alright, at this point I'm willing to believe her Youko. On your feet girl.” She stood grudgingly.
Obviously she didn't exactly want to tag along. She stumbled on her way to the door, barely catching herself on the frame. Youko picked her up. “Don't complain. We're in a hurry.” She didn't.
Once they were a good distance away, Youko put her down and told her and Kuronue to wait. He came back less than an hour later with a change of clothes. “You may be our only key to success, but the men won't appreciate the daughter of a Miko. Change.”
Ayume took the bundle and ducked behind a tree out of their sight, but not their hearing. Best not to push her luck. She slipped out of her clothes. She took the underclothes he provided and put them on. Then she grabbed bandages from her old clothes and bound her breasts flat. She pulled her hair back in a high ponytail, not much different than Kuronue's.
The dark blue top she was fine with. The skirt, not so much. She threw it out at them and told Youko to try again. She didn't get to see his smirk, but about three seconds later slim fitting black pants were thrown at her. She pulled on the provided boots and grabbed what was left of her things from her clothes. Mostly herbs and bandages, but a couple of throwing knives. Close combat was not her forte.
Youko was not expecting what he saw. He thought she would look good in the clothes, even more beautiful than before. She did look good. Just not in the way he was expecting.
He saw the clothes were a bit too big. She'd used it well. With her breasts bound, her hair up, and her figure hidden, she looked like a boy. From her belt hung a couple of sheathed throwing knives. She looked like a proper thief.
“Not what I had in mind, but it'll work. How's your ankle?”
“Fine.” She snapped. “I'll walk.” Her tone would have frozen a lesser demon in his tracks.
As it was… “You're lucky your voice is low enough to pass for a boy's. Much higher, and I would have a very hard time explaining it. Come on. Ten miles east of here is our camp.”
To her credit, Ayume didn't complain once. Even in the short intervals where they walked instead of running to give her legs a rest, she said not a word. She was good at stubbornness at least. If only all their men were that determined.
It took them until sunrise to arrive at camp. Most of the men were asleep. Ayume didn't take the chance to sit. It seemed she would rather be on her feet for her first meeting with their bandit group. A group she was now part of. It was a good choice on her part.
“Wake up!” Youko roared pleasantly. The men were instantly awake. They looked up at their leader groggily before taking in the new person standing next to him. “This is Ayume. He happened to get in our way when we went to steal the map, but he had enough time with it to get it memorized. So although the map is gone, we're using him to lead us to Madain Sarai. He's one of us now. Treat him well.”
Ayume was then pulled through a flurry of introductions and punches and insults and general acceptance. Until one of the men, Livoso, yelled “This kid's human!”
Ayume turned to him. “And?” She demanded dangerously.
Livoso turned to her. “You won't last five minutes here with us. Go home kid, and leave the big stuff to us.” Ayume turned her head to look him square in the face. This was a moment of reckoning. If she backed down, they would walk all over her.
“Make me.” She growled. Could she win against a demon? Who knew? Could she try? Most definitely.
He aimed a back slap at her face. She slipped to the side at the last second and twirled, grabbing his arm and using his momentum to flip him over her onto his back. He swept her feet out from under her, but she caught herself near the ground as he was using the movement to land upright. Her foot swung in a neat arc toward his head, hitting him in the temple. The move carried her to her feet as he dropped.
As dishonorable as she was not, he waited until she went to help him up to attack again, giving a sucker punch to the gut. She stumbled back, but he wasn't quick enough for a second shot. She dove to his side, dodging his follow up punch and swept her foot out to knock into his knees. They bent, and quick as a wink she grabbed a fistful of his hair and shoved his face into the dirt, her foot stepping on his nearby hand, preventing it from moving.
Silence reigned as he struggled fruitlessly against her grip. Eventually he stopped moving. “Are we done here?” She demanded. He nodded.
She let him up, but this time she was taking no chances. The instant she let him go she was five feet away, out of surprise attack range. He didn't try anything. She had won when he had fought dishonorably. He knew she was superior to him.
Youko and Kuronue watched with interest. “And that's after five straight hours running.” Youko whispered to his partner.
“No worries about whether or not she can hold her own against the men.” Kuronue clapped his hands, gaining everyone's attention. “Now that we have that out of the way…” Laughter from the men, “we should welcome Ayume.” The suggestion was welcomed with cheering. Ayume got many pats on the back for a fight well fought. Even young Hiei poked his head out of hiding to gaze at her with interest.
Him, that is. After all, Ayume was currently a boy.
It was around midday two days later when they were attacked by a family who'd been had by Youko's group in the past. There were thirty-seven of them. Too many for Youko and Kuronue to handle easily. All the men got ready for a fight, but Ayume surprised him by stepping forward.
“Is there any chance you will step out of the way and let us pass so we don't have to kill you?” He asked. The enemy demons screamed at him in rage and attacked. He sighed, flipping out one of his knives and throwing it. At first, Youko thought he missed, but Ayume closed his hand and the dagger changed trajectory, spinning in a full circle around the entire family. The attacking demons slammed together, as if tied by a rope. He flipped his hand up and around, tying the invisible string in a knot as the dagger ran out of cord and embedded itself in the ground.
Now that it was still, a blue thread shimmered into view. He'd made a cord out of spirit power to connect to the knife. The family, now tied up thoroughly, cussed at him. “I'll ask once more. Will you just let us pass, or do I have to kill you?” He got a loud negative response from both sides. He lowered his head. “I gave you two chances. So be it.” He gripped the energy cord in his hand tighter and yanked, forcing it to tighten around its prey so quickly it ripped them to pieces. He pulled back on the cord again and the pieces still attached were torn apart as well.
He let go, and the cord disappeared. A thinner one appeared in his hand that he pulled. His dagger pulled out of the ground and flew back to him. He sheathed it before stepping forward to look at his work. All thirty-seven were either dead or well on the way to being so. He took pity on the living ones and finished them off.
Kuronue stepped forward. “Can you only do that because they're demons?” He whispered to Ayume. Ayume didn't move his sad eyes from the dead demons.
“They were in the way. Right now, in your way is in my way. I want to get home. Unfortunately, I can't do that until you find the clue to Madain Sarai. Human or demon, they'd best get out of our way.” He turned and walked away from them, in the direction of Acoma.
Youko walked up behind Kuronue. “And that's the daughter of a Miko. Infinitely sad about killing demons.”
“Then why'd she do it?”
“I'm not sure,” was all he could say as he watched Ayume get surrounded by the men. “Perhaps to save time. Perhaps to punish herself.” His eyes narrowed. “Perhaps to prove to us that she isn't at as much of a disadvantage as we assume. Perhaps in order to convince herself of it as well. I'm not entirely sure she herself could give you the answer.”
“I guess it could be nearly anything.”
“From here on we should refer to Ayume as `he'. Who knows what the men could overhear.” Youko suggested.
“You're the boss. I'm just your right-wing-man.” Kuronue teased, spreading his bat wings.
Livoso had just caught up to Ayume. “Man am I glad you didn't do that to me.” He praised. “How did you do that kid? I've never met a human with such control.”
“Uh…I…” Embarrassed, he scratched the back of his head trying to come up with an answer. “I guess…you know…I um…” He grabbed at air for an answer, but he didn't come up with anything.
Livoso laughed at his awkwardness. “It's okay kid. You can tell me when you come up with a good lie.” Ayume dropped his head, his cheeks turning red. “Ah, would you look at that! Young Hiei's decided to come take a good look at you.”
Ayume followed his gaze to see a short young demon with red eyes and gravity defying black hair. The demon's eyes held a burning curiosity, but his face housed a deep scowl at Livoso's words. Ayume sent a disarming smile at the kid before turning back to Livoso, giving the kid space to stare in peace.
Hiei knew it was a risk to come out and look at the human. Curiosity spurred him into action though. Unlike all the other members of the small band, Ayume seemed unruffled by his stare. He'd actually smiled back. Hiei was stunned into stopping. “Hey brat! Get moving!” Rough hands shoved him from behind, too fast, making him fall forward. He caught himself wrong, bending his wrist in the wrong direction and crying out in pain.
He knew he was about to be hauled to his feet and punished as usual by the demon who'd told him to get moving. Unexpectedly, nothing came. “Leave him be.” A soft voice growled. He dared to open his eyes and look up.
Ayume had caught the arm that was reaching toward him in a viselike grip. His eyes glimmered with fury. The demon, Kahoka, tried to attack him anyway with a kick. Unlike in her fight with Livoso, who was completely justified in his objection, Ayume didn't hold back. Faster than his eyes could follow, her foot was in Kahoka's gut, and in the next instant he was ten feet away and rolling.
He could literally see the power surrounding Ayume. As Ayume advanced, Youko and Kuronue helped him up. “Honorable, isn't he?”
“He has a little brother, remember. You should.” Youko retorted.
“Shouldn't we stop them?” Kuronue asked, not really caring if Kahoka got his ass handed to him. “Ayume might kill him.”
“Good riddance. We've told him twice before to leave Hiei alone. Ayume's just enforcing it for us. You know the rule. Once, a warning. Twice, a punishment. Thrice means death. If Ayume doesn't kill him, we will.”
“Please no!” Kahoka yelled. Ayume stood over him, his foot on his neck, as he was tied by Ayume's power. He looked up to Youko and Kuronue.
“I won't kill him without your permission.” His voice rang out. None of the men protested his death, looking to their leaders for the verdict.
Youko didn't hesitate. “You have it.” Ayume crushed his neck with his foot at the same time the cord tightened enough to crush him. It was a bloodless death, but a painfully quick one and just as effective as chopping demons to pieces.
And this was the true anger of the young girl. She'd held back against Livoso because he was justified in his dismissal of her. She felt remorse for killing many demons who did nothing more than get in her way. Demons she'd also held back against. Kahoka, though, got the full force of her power, physical and spiritual. Kahoka was not one of his strongest men, but he was strong as far as demons in general went. He was not one to be trifled with, and he was a valuable asset despite any moral shortcomings. She had defeated him within a minute and emerged unscathed; killed him with no hesitation or sadness.
In defense of a demon child.
Now Youko understood. She was strong and fast, hard to beat in close combat. Her power was conditioned to be used for specifically long distance, also strong and fast. Put the two together, and not many stood a fraction of a chance.
But why hadn't she used that power on Kuronue or himself? The answer hit him like a brick. She wasn't defending anything important to her, merely fulfilling her mother's duty. She also must have had some sense that they hadn't really intended to kill Haru, or she would've fought back. She didn't like to do harm. But she seemed to have a strict code she lived by, and what she tolerated from those around her was and unbendable part of that code.
She would fight and win for it. She would kill those that specifically broke her code and dared remain in her presence. Kahoka had been given warning. He had broken her code, and attempted to break it again after she'd told him to stop. That was an intolerable offense. She was as picky about her code as a taiyoukai.
He would have to study her carefully and learn it, lest something similar happen to him.
“You go Kid!” One of the men shouted at him. Ayume, startled, searched for the voice's owner.
“Kiev, right?” He asked. The demon nodded. “Thanks…I guess.” The men didn't swarm him this time. They understood him now. Killing wasn't something Ayume wanted to do, but they were impressed by his efficiency at doing it.
“Don't regret it. Kahoka was a bastard and a fool.” Kiev ordered, seeing the look in the boy's face. “Head up, Kid. If you hadn't killed him, Youko-sama or Kuronue-sama would have.”
“It's still a waste. Don't get me wrong, put me in the same situation again, and I would gladly kill him again, but…” He frowned, searching for the words. “Life should be cherished, in any form. Not destroyed.”
“Do you think Kahoka thought the same?” Youko inquired. Ayume shook his head. “Then don't worry about it. If he destroyed life, wouldn't it be better to destroy him so there would be life left to cherish?” The look on his face cleared.
“Yeah. I get it.” Ayume smiled up at him.
This kid confused his men a little. They didn't live by his views, but they were beginning to understand them. They'd never encountered someone quite like him before. Willing to kill, but hating the idea of it. Loving life, but delivering death. In a kill-or-be-killed world, it was strange to encounter such a person. The first day, after he had refused to fight the majority of his men, he'd allowed Uzi to hit him with no consequences.
“I said I will not fight you, and I will not fight you. We're working together now.” He had said, and then he'd turned away, stalking to the edge of the camp to sulk. It seemed he wouldn't turn on his teammates unless they gave him a damn good reason.
And today, he had deferred to Youko in a way not many demons would have. He wouldn't blame Ayume if he'd just killed Kahoka. But he hadn't. He'd left the decision of losing one of his men up to Youko and Kuronue. His code led him to respect not only his companions, but also their rules and his own stature among them.
“Thirty-eight dead in one day.” Ayume said from beside them as they walked, hours later. “That's not even a record.” Kuronue and Youko turned to him, seeing he'd closed his eyes. “Do you know I've seen every person I've killed? I look at them as they die, or once they're dead. I remember every one. When it comes time, I'll know exactly how many deaths I'm accountable for.”
“Why do you do that?” Kuronue asked.
“Because all life is sacred. I will not, however, put the survival of those who do not deserve it before my own.”
“But those demons…you blame yourself for it. You gave them a chance. Two chances in fact. That's far more than they deserved. In fact, I can't imagine anyone else giving them such a chance.”
“They deserved it. The only thing they had against them the first time was being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong intentions. The second time was just suicidal stubbornness. I didn't give Kahoka a chance.”
“Kahoka didn't deserve it. He deserved worse than the quick death you gave him. Besides, you did give him a chance, just you didn't place the chance in Kahoka's hands.” Kuronue looked sideways at him. “You are an amazingly honorable kid. You would give the devil his chance for remorse. I never thought someone like that would even exist, let alone be a human.”
That startled a laugh out of Ayume. He tilted his head to look at the sky. “Honor, huh?”