Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Thirteen Fates 1: Siren's Song ❯ Once a Theif, Always a Theif ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
'Soldiers. Hundreds of them. Give me some kind of sign, where are they? A clearing, a large clearing, trees everywhere, perfect for ambush. There! a fire, the smoke, I'll smell it for sure.'Serena sat up sweating,"Hiei."

Hiei jumped up onto the tree brach the demoness had been sleeping on,"What?"

"Wake everyone up, Marinak knows we're here, he's sent his army after us."Serena jumped down to the ground, narrowly missing landing on the sleeping Kurama. She gave the sleeping former youkai a gentle kick,"Wake up."

"What?"Kurama mumbled, opening his eyes enough to see Serena's face.

"Marinak's army is nearby, we've gotta get rid of them before they find us."Serena explained quickly,"Follow me."

Kurama nodded and followed his friend. Serena quickly picked up the scent of burining braches and sweaty soldiers. They soon came to the edge of a clearing. The two teens climbed into a nearby tree. There were about two hundred soldiers camped out in a large clearing around a fire.

"Think we could take 'em?"Serena whispered.

"With the help of the others."Kurama nodded, the shadows of the fire dancing across his calm face.

"Looks like they've got some stuff worth stealing, too."Serena pointed to one demon, porbably the leader, who was sitting on a large chest,"How about some raiding, for old time's sake?"

Kurama gave the wolf-girl a slight smirk,"Sounds fun."

"I hope you two weren't planning on having fun without me."Mohroh jumped onto the brach below them.

"Of course not."Serena pulled a bow and arrow out of sub-space and aimed at a sheild across from them,"Let the fun begin." She released the arrow.

It flew, hit the sheild, bounced off it, hit a demon's armor, bouced, flew threw one demon's neck and struck the leader between the eyes. Confusion and panic insued. The soldiers raced around in all directions, shooting arrows into the the trees, and attacking anything that moved. Serena, Mohroh, and Kurama, all the while, slipped in amongst the demons and snatched anything valuable they could find. Every now and then Serena would shoot off another arrow to make sure the confusion continued and no one noticed them. They'd just reached the forest when Hiei appeared in front if them, tapping his foot in the dirt.

"What?"Serena asked innocently as the four slipped into the trees,"We were scouting it out and killing off some of the soldiers."

"Uh huh, well, get to work."Yusuke rolled his eyes as he, Kuwabara, and Yukina ran up.

"Sprit Sword!"Kuwbara hissed.

"Yukina, freeze 'em up, please."Serena whispered.

"Do I have to?"Yukina asked.

"Either that or you have to listen to their agonized screams."Mohroh smirked.

Without another word half of the army was frozen by Yukina,"They're all yours."

"Shot gun!!"Yusuke shouted, taking out thirteen souldeirs.

The team raced into the clearing, attacking at full speed.

"Rose whip!!"

Four more soldiers fell. Hiei brought down seven more with his sword. Mohroh destroyed a few more with her claws. Serena's staff came into play, glowing a firey shade of purple. It suddenly folded into an arch and several purple arrows made of spiritual energy formed in her hand,"Spirit arrows!!!" She fired off the arrows all at once, taking down about twenty soldiers.

"Seren!"Serena spun around just in time to see a soldier right behind her get cut in half by Kurama's rose whip. Kurama ran up to her,"You ok?"

"Great,"Serena smirked,"this is fun, Spirit arrows!!"

"You've been arounn Hiei to much."Kurama rolled his eyes.

"Oh, you used to love this."Mohroh teased, jumping by and cutting up a few soldiers in the process,"You and Kuronoue always did this for fun!"

"She's right you know."Hiei joined them, cutting off a few heads as he passed by,"And Seren just inherited it from Kuronoue and Mohroh, and she probably got a little from being around you too much."

"Hey guys!"Yusuke shouted,"Less talk, more fight!!!"

"Shut up, Urameshi!!"Serena retorted,"I'm finishing this now," her staff reverted back to it's normal form. She took the end of it in her left hand and crossed it across her body,"SPIRIT SCYTHE!!!!" She swung the staff around, a huge, sharp, purple, glowing scythe flew from it, cutting every soldier still standing in two.

"Why didn't you just do that in the first place?"Kuwabara asked dryly.

"Didn't feel like it."Serena shrugged, receiving a face plant from the others,"Oh shut up."

"Question,"Yusuke got up,"how'd you know they were here?"

"Yeah."Kurama looked at the black cloaked teen.

"Instinct."Serena lied,"Come on, we attack tomorrow night, we need all the sleep we can get."

~*~The next night~*~

Kurama looked out at the now familiar lake they'd found. It was calm, clear, not something you often found in Makai. His mind wandered back to when he, Mohroh, and Kuronoue had been a team. The memories flooded his mind, then, suddenly, his mind shifted to Maya."Maya...."

"Thinking about that stupid ningen girl, again?"Hiei snarled, walking out of the trees.

"Yeah."

"Why the heck does she mean so much to you, she's just a human."Hiei stood next to him, staring out at the lake.

"I'm not sure...."

"It's too much time around the humans. You're turning into one of them."

"Are you TRYING to scare me or do you always say junk like that?"Mohroh stepped out of the trees, arms crossed, tail snapping behind her.

"What do you want, Mohroh?"Hiei hissed.

"To tell you that you're wanted back at camp. We're leaving soon."Mohroh glared at Hiei,"It's hard to beleive you and Yukina are even related."

"Let's go, before Mohroh finds an excuse to use her claws."Kurama sighed, grabbing Hiei by the collar and dragging him into the trees.

"And I thought he only did that to Kuronoue."Mohroh mused, following them.

They soon reached their camp site. Yukina and Serena were seated on one side of the fire, looking at a map that Serena had spent most of the day drawing. Yusuke and Kuwabara were looking over their shoulders, actually Kuwabara, from what Mohroh could see, was staring AT Yukina from his spot behind Serena,"Don't tell me he likes her."She whispered lightly to Kurama.

"Don't remind me."Hiei hissed.

Serena looked up from what she was doing,"It's about time, get over here."They quickly followed the order. "Ok, from the time I've spent in the palace I'm guessing that Maya's being held in the tallest tower, and the only way to reach it is through a fairly large maze full of traps, suprises, and enemies. After that we'll have to take a secret passage to get inside the tower. The doors on either side of the passage both lead to the eqivalent of hell, I've made that mistake. Marinak himself doesn't know how to find his way through that maze, much less find the passage. This should be relatively easy considering the fact that almost all of the palace soldiers and workers are complete morons and can easily be lost in the maze. Marinak is the only thing we need to worry about. He's some kind of dog demon, and he has a wicked nose. He'll try to track us so I suggest we split up. Kurama, Mohroh, and I have the best chance of getting out of the maze, so we'll split into three teams. I've also heard that there are sirens hidden in the maze, so we'll have to be careful."

"Sirens?"Kuwbara gave Serena a strange look,"I thought those were just myths."

"Some myth."Mohroh snorted.

"Sirens are powerful demons that are hated in all three worlds."Kurama explained,"It was said they died out centuries ago, but some still live on. It was one of the most dishonoring things in Makai to have a child that was even part siren. Most siren children were killed at birth."

"Sirens had a natural lust to kill,"Hiei said flatly,"and mate. Those were their only goals in life. Now and then a half breed might turn out nice, but they were mostly cold hearted killers."

"Kinda like you."Kuwbara hissed, receiving a poweful smack from Serena's staff,"Ow."

"Hiei's no siren, I'd smell it if he was."Serena snarled,"And you smell more like a siren than him."

"I do not!"Kuwbara huffed.

"Do to."Mohroh and Serena retorted.

"Ok, don't start fighting."Yukina groaned,"We're supposed to be saving Maya, not trying to kill eachother."

"Fine."Serena snorted,"Let's get going."