Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Torn Apart ❯ What Raizen's Up To ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Torn Apart by: Sakura

A/N This chapter's for you Identity Thief. I don't know why, but I needed to give you something. So, here you are. Enjoy!

- - - - - -

Yusuke sat in Koenma's office, fuming. He, Kuwabara, Kurama, and Hiei had been summoned to Spirit World in the dead of night, by Botan. She had said that Koenma had something urgent to tell them, but for now they were waiting for a certain fire demon to arrive.

"I can't believe him!" Kuwabara too, seemed as angry as Yusuke about Hiei not being there. Kurama, for the most part, looked like he was doing the smart thing, and sat with his eyes closed, leaning against the wall; as though he were sleeping. Then, the huge door, opposite Koenma's desk, slowly opened; revealing the small demi-god. He sighed deeply as he sat in his giant chair.

"Well, since this is too urgent, I can't see us waiting any longer for Hiei to arrive," Koenma began. But before he could continue, a voice said:

"I'm here." It was Hiei's voice. Everyone turned in the direction it had come from; a dark corner at the far end of the office. Hiei stepped out from the shadows. Everyone gasped as he came out.

His hair was more tousled than it normally was, his cloak was slipping off his shoulders (it was even torn in some places), and he had a bruise, the size as Kuwabara's fist, on his right cheek. Hiei was a total mess.

He had a fixed gaze on Yusuke now; he seemed to be looking at him with a kind of loathing stare. The ningen seemed to have noticed this too, because he had a look that rivaled Hiei's greatly. The two's arguments hadn't seized, and they had neglected to look at each other during missions- now the only time they ever saw each other. And everything had taken a turn for the worst the day the detectives and Keiko had gone to visit Yusuke at Raizen's apartment.

"Detective," Hiei said casually.

"Go to hell," Yusuke said without warning. The others knew what was coming next, and Koenma still sat at his desk, looking very impatient.

"Already been."

Kurama stood up and placed himself between Hiei and Yusuke (as he'd done before), as to try to halt the fight that was probably going to occur. "Yusuke... Hiei. Come on, let's not have another argument. That isn't why we were brought here."

- - - - - -

(Kurama's POV)

That night had not gone over well. There had been another verbal assault, but this time it had come from Yusuke. I guess it had been payback for what Hiei had told Yusuke last weekend. About him being a weak, human kid. Their arguments always happened while they were together; especially on our missions which was, in fact, the only time they ever saw each other.

Since last night's argument had taken most of our time, Koenma never did get to tell us what it was he wanted. If it was so urgent, he should have told us sooner. But now that we were finally back, I decided to take a long nap. Neither I nor the other detectives had gotten an ounce of sleep- How could we? With Hiei and Yusuke around...

I had just lain my head down and felt my eyes closing, when I heard an annoying little tap on my window. Only one person ever used it, but no way would Hiei come over now. It was probably just a bird; so I ignored it. The tapping continued.

Frustrated, I climbed out of bed, pushed the curtains aside, and was greeted with the face of a greatly bruised fire demon. I opened the window hurriedly. Hiei too looked exhausted. He had dark circles under his eyes, his breathing coming in small gasps.

He made himself comfortable on an old armchair; he sprawled his small form on it, using it as though it were a couch. Seeing him sit there, looking so comfortable, it made me sleepy. I shook my head, trying to keep my eyes from closing. I wanted to know why he was here; if it wasn't for any reason, then I wish he'd leave... so I could sleep. What was I saying? I would have mentally slapped myself if I hadn't been so tired.

I was being selfish. Hiei had never just dropped by without an important piece of information. He was obviously here today to tell me something else, but why he was taking his time, was not something I knew. Right before I was about to ask, he spoke:

"Even though Yusuke's being his usual self," (Great, I knew what was coming. Hiei was going to tell me something about Yusuke; something that- wait, I had missed what he had just said.)

"What?" I probably looked like I had just woken from a daydream. Hiei looked at me a while and I looked into his lame eye. I was afraid to see what emotions his unharmed eye held.

"Raizen. Yusuke needs to know what Raizen's up to..."

I shuddered. Cold chills had just run through my body. There was something eerie lurking about my living room. When I turned to look into both of the youkai's eyes, I quickly noticed that he had felt something too. He looked mortally terrified. He lay there, stiff as a board, eyes wide with shock. But then, I noticed something else. I could see a turquoise glow from under Hiei's bandana; his third eye, the Jagan, was open. That couldn't be right; Hiei hardly ever had his Jagan Eye open. Only when he was using his Black Dragon Wave and sending or receiving telepathic messages, could the Jagan's glow be seen.

- - - - - -

Yusuke sat in his bed, trying desperately to fall sleep. But for some reason, he couldn't; every time Hiei or his stupid blind eye came to mind. He reached over and grabbed the letter from his mom. He had already read it numerous times, but maybe if he read it again, he would eventually fall sleep. That's when he heard footsteps coming towards his door. Without so much as a knock, the door was swung open, revealing Raizen... who was carrying a tray?

"Hey Yusuke, you still feelin' sick?" Not even waiting for a reply, Raizen said, "I brought you some chicken noodle soup. My own recipe."

Raizen left the tray on the desk besides Yusuke's bed and left the room. Yusuke stared at the steaming bowl of soup. What was wrong with Raizen? Was he drunk, high, or just losing his mind? It was strange because he was acting too parent-y.

Probably poisoned it, Yusuke thought. But he was so hungry- he didn't really seem to care if it was poisoned or not. He picked up the bowl and the spoon, watching steam-clouds fly around his face. Finally, when he thought it had cooled long enough, he took a sip.

He gagged. Looking into the bowl, he felt like he was going to vomit. Instead of the soup being smooth like a liquid should be, it was awfully gooey. Yusuke put his finger into the bowl, and began swirling it around the goo. It felt like yolk from a freshly cracked egg; it smelt like one too.

Thirty minutes later, which seemed like enough time to eat a small bowl of soup, Raizen reentered the room. He didn't look nearly as happy as he had thirty minutes ago, but for some, that was probably a good thing. Raizen looked down at a half-written letter sitting on the desk next to a lamp. He picked it up, reading it carefully.

He narrowed his eyes at Yusuke. "What's this?" he asked suspiciously.

"What does it look like? It's a letter to Mom."

Without warning, the back of Raizen's hand made contact with Yusuke's cheek. He watched as a red mark began forming from the impact. Yusuke looked almost as surprised as he had been that day he found out that he was going to be living with Raizen.

"Watch your tone, boy. You wouldn't want me doing anymore harm to your three-eyed friend, would you?" Two sets of eyes widened. Raizen's for not even thinking before he spoke, Yusuke was just out of utter surprise. "Oops. Well, I guess now you know," he recovered.

- - - - - -

Hiei was now on his hands and knees. Raizen had just sent him a telepathic message, and was somehow, beating Hiei from the inside. He could feel his chest tighten as it became harder for him to breathe.

When it gets cold outside and you got nobody to love
You'll understand what I mean when I say
There's no way we're gonna give up
And like a little girl cries in the face of a monster that lives in her dreams
Is there anyone out there cause it's getting harder and harder to breathe
Is there anyone out there cause it's getting harder and harder to breathe

- - - - - -

A/N Yay! Chapter 4 done. Oh, and that last little part was from the song "Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5. I don't even know why I added that in there; I just thought it kinda portrayed to what was happening at the moment.

Anyway, as stated above, this chapter is for ID for lending me some of the ideas used in this chapter. She rules! Go read her Beyblade fics- they're awesome.

Now, if you don't mind... *grabs Hiei plushie and begins walking away* I'll going to be with my love- a stuffed toy, so go read something else. Or wait around in your rooms for me to write the next chapter. Whatever you do, just leave me and my stuffed love alone! (If this little note has chased you away from anything else I write in the future, I understand and will forgive you)Oh, but before you go, leave me a review; I expect that much from you.