Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Torn Apart ❯ Reminiscence ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Torn Apart by: Sakura

A/N Man, did I make a mistake. Last chapter I said Hiei suffered from "anesthesia", which is why he didn't remember his father, but the truth of the matter is that he suffered from "amnesia". Anesthesia and amnesia are totally different things. I can't believe I did that....Now I'm embarrassed.

- - -

Hiei was awakened from his slumber by a dull burning at his Jagan Eye; it was Raizen. Over the many weeks that Hiei had been used as a puppet for the demon lord, he had learned to make his body almost immune to Raizen's mind tricks.

"What do you want?" he asked almost groggily.

"The stage is set, Hiei. It's time to put your father's-"

Hiei gritted his teeth. "He isn't my father."

"Hiei!" Raizen snapped. "...Kuyo has worked around your team's emotions towards you, and we have decided to start the action now before your body can fully withstand the pressure of my telekinesis."

"And what if Yusuke figures it out?"

As Raizen thought of a reply, the tingling in Hiei's forehead ceased.

"He won't." Hiei waited, expecting more. When none came he said,

"And what of Kurama? The fox has proved to be more useful when it comes to his enemy's tactics than anyone else on the spirit team. He'll realize something's up-"

There was a soft knock on the door; Hiei almost didn't hear it. He waited, it came again. Raizen waited, carefully listening through Hiei's ears, to see why the youkai had stopped.

Hiei waited for the door to open, and it did; he looked down, cursing under his breath. It was Kurama. The redhead stared a Hiei a moment, his eyes showing a tint of concern and puzzlement.

"Hiei, is there something wrong?"

The fire demon's confusion showed clearly on his face. Was Kurama making a mockery of him? He cleared his head, his eyes once again resuming his father's scowl.

"Why would there be?" Hiei snorted.

"...Because your Jagan's glowing."

At Hiei's bewildered face, Kurama only smiled. It was obvious; even through the bandana anyone would be able to see the fiery red glow of the youkai's false eye.

"I just came to tell you Hiei, that we were assigned another mission this morning. Koenma was wondering if you were feeling up to going," Kurama paused, remembering the situation at hand. "He's still reviewing your case, but said it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to come."

As Kurama left, Raizen let out a moan of pleasure.

"Well, are you going?" he asked.

"If I'm allowed," Hiei retorted.

"Go ahead. No one's stopping you."

- - -

But Hiei didn't go, not really. He went to Makai, but not with the team. He had actually left Ningenkai right after the detectives did. He was going to be meeting up with Raizen to discuss their battle strategy. Or rather, their attack plan to eliminate Yusuke.

For the first time in weeks, Hiei felt totally relaxed; his muscles weren't tense and he didn't cringe whenever he heard a small sound at the opposite end of the room. He put his arms behind his head as he leaned further into the wall. Though the small youkai felt at ease, Raizen surely was not.

If anything, the demon lord was feeling restless. He had his arms at his sides and was pacing furiously around the perimeter of the large room. If he heard anything that resembled the sound of footsteps, he'd stop suddenly, looking towards the door. Hiei found it quite amusing when he sneezed and Raizen nearly jumped out of his skin.

Finally he asked, "What's bugging you, Rai?" Hiei sniggered at the nickname he had just given to Raizen. Normally, that was something he would never do.

Raizen brushed it off and answered, "Nothing.... When's that damned father of yours-?"

"You are somewhat of a telepath, am I wrong?" said a voice from the shadows. "...I was dealing with another client, Raizen."

Raizen looked cross, but said nothing of it. "Now, about Yusuke and his team," his menacing smirk spread across his face as he turned to Hiei. Raizen's sudden mood-changing was rather alarming.

"Yes, let's get started, shall we?" Kuyo folded his arms across his chest, taking a few steps away from the shadowy wall.

"Wait." Hiei walked forward, placing himself between the two. "Before you start your death-raiding plans, tell me this: What happened on the Ningenkai street?"

"Oh yes, of course. You'll want to hear of that," Kuyo said, smiling manically. "Here's the gist: I thought it would be amusing to see you killing the ningens, so Raizen sent you one of the strongest telepathic messages he could muster, and told you to his orders. You then had one of your little episodes, where those two human detectives tried to get in the way; but as we knew, you were fast enough to escape from them."

"As soon as you reached the city, you almost immediately began killing whoever was there; you caused car crashes, and of course, you released your Dragon on them," Raizen finished. "We called you back here, where you passed out, leaving that toddler Koenma to deal with the damage in the streets."

It didn't take long at all for Hiei to get over the shock of having found out that he nearly leveled a part of a Ningenkai city. He merely shrugged his shoulders, looking as though he could care less. But in reality, inside this was eating away at Hiei. The guilt of having to live up to Koenma when time came to sentence him for his crimes was too much. But he was not going to let his father or Raizen see him that way. No, Hiei was much too proud a youkai. And for once, he'd been afraid. Afraid of what Raizen or his father would do to him if they found any of this out. He was afraid of dying.

It seemed ridiculous. Hiei-the one who more commonly talked about his worthless existence-was more terrified of dying than afraid. He was much more beyond the stage of being afraid. He sighed dolefully.

- - -

Kuyo was one of the more ruthless of demons. From what few knew of him, he was not always as coldhearted as he was now. Now was clearly just a cover-up for the life he once lived. Kuyo's callous was more of a security blanket than anything else.

The youkai had befallen a young Koorime and had, at first, hated the girl. She was a child of ice, while he, Kuyo was born from another element-he was born under the element of fire. He had been taught as a child that if he were to ever come across an ice child that he was to kill it. This, by chance, happened to be the first time he had ever seen a youkai of ice up this close. The young maiden seemed to be no threat to Kuyo, but when he saw her, the remembrance of his parents' teachings nagged at his brain.

At this time, Kuyo was 17, a newly born to most of demons. He gazed intently at the Koorime girl. When she noticed him, she was taken aback; this must have been her first meeting with a youkai of Kuyo's heritage. She smiled meekly; Kuyo could tell it was forced. But he did not return his smile. Instead he turned his back and walked away.

He ran into this same Koorime girl from time to time over the years. Now that he was older, he was recruited into warlord Raizen's personal army, and was asked out on many assassination missions. Most of the ones he killed were of some connection to Yomi and Mukuro, Raizen's rivals.

It was in autumn that Kuyo was instructed to assassinate a crooked Koorime. The girl had worked as Raizen's spy, informing him of any progression on the island. Raizen had gotten word that said maiden had defied him in someway. It mattered not what the reason was, but one thing Kuyo learned in his draft was to never defy your master. After this assignment there would be no more Koorime. Due to the fact that the spy was a Koorime, a person she could have told must have been another. All were to be eliminated if that be the case.

When Kuyo first reached the Koorime island, he cursed inwardly at the cold. As any fire demon, Kuyo would have to finish this fast; he did not want to die by ways of hypothermia.

He reached the traitorous Koorime's hut soon after arriving. Kuyo needn't bother informing anyone why he was there. With a look of ever jadedness, Kuyo launched a beam of energy from his palm and through the ice maiden's crystallized window. Substantial amounts of snow melted before impact, and the screams were enough for Kuyo to know that the ice maiden was indeed deceased.

More Koorime appeared on the scene, most to understand the sounds. They stood frozen in place (haha- no pun intended) at the sight before. Kuyo knew immediately that he should do his master's wishes. Without moment's hesitation, Kuyo swung his fully developed arm at the Koorime, claws lashing out.

Within minutes, over half of the spectators had been slaughtered. Kuyo's body began to ache from the cold, but he knew he had to finish what he had come to do. His claws and clothes smelt horribly of youkai blood, but the feeling it sent through his veins made it worthwhile.

Kuyo took a step forward, edging his way over to the last handful of Koorime in the area. He paused as his breath caught in his chest, and his eyes showed that all but two of the remaining Koorime had taken this time to escape Kuyo has fast as they could. One of the two Koorime, Kuyo recognized as the one he had met eight years prior.

She ran up to him, eyes drawn in concern. Again, Kuyo raised his arm to strike her down, but instead, he began to realize the extent of the harsh climate of the frosty island. It became harder for him to breathe and his body ached with every movement. Before Kuyo was able to take another breath, his world became shrouded in darkness.

- - -

"Who are you?"

"I'm Hina...the Koorime you met a few years prior."

Kuyo put his hands to his head, rubbing his temple. He had no recollection of making to wherever he was now. He remembered going to the Koorime island to murder that traitorous one, but then how did he get inside this warm little cottage?

"I...I remember you. But how did I get here?"

"Well...I brought you back here. You were practically frozen. I couldn't let you die out there," Hina added, smiling sweetly.

- - -

And that's how Kuyo remembered it. Eventually, he and Hina had fallen in love...their love ended with twin children- Hiei and Yukina. Directly after their birth, Kuyo fled as far away from Hina as possible. He'd then heard that his son had been thrown off a cliff and had died at the foot of the mountain.

Now was the time to exact his revenge. It wasn't quite revenge he was seeking...he merely just wanted to use his own son as a pawn to kill anyone who had defied him. Ningenkai were among those people.

But that's a story for another chapter....

- - -

A/N: Jesus, someone shoot me now! I'm done, I'm finally done! Woo! Aww, well, I'm not done just yet; I have two more chapters to write...and then I'll be done! I cannot wait to just finish this horrible piece of work. And when I do, I'll be free to write in old fics, without having to worry about deadlines.

This chapter is in dedication to RevReb (like your new nickname?). She's been asking me to finish this like you wouldn't believe, and I know this chapter isn't much, but here you go, Katie!

Next chapter(s) there will be an additional character added to this strange and twisted plot....Isn't that right, Vaoh?