Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled ❯ Power Problems ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 2: Power Problems Disclaimer: I own nothing, but I wish I did.

 

 

 

“Hello? Kurama? Earth to Kurama!”

Kurama blinked. “W-what?”

“You need to stop doing that,” Yusuke said.

“Doing what?”

“Spacing out whenever we ask you a question!” Yusuke said, a little more harshly than intended.

Tears started welling up in Kurama’s eyes at Yusuke’s harsh tone.

“I… I’m sorry Yusuke…” Kurama said softly, looking down.

“You don’t need to apologize to him!” Kuwabara growled. “He’s being mean!”

Kurama shook his head.

“No, Kuwabara, I deserved it.”

“You don’t deserve your friend making you cry!” Kuwabara said angrily, glaring at Yusuke.

Kurama hastily wiped the tears from his eyes.

“I must go and… clean my wounds…” he murmured.

He had only gone two steps when he stumbled and fell. He bit back a cry as he had fallen on his leg.

Kurama felt very dizzy. Last time it hadn’t done this! Maybe it was the Double Trouble Bomb’s effects as well.

“Kurama, you shouldn’t be doing anything in this condition!” Yusuke cried.

“No… I can walk if I try,” Kurama argued, panting.

“Kurama!” Yusuke yelled.

“Uremeshi, if you already hurt his feelings, he’s not going to listen to you!” Kuwabara said, annoyed.

Yusuke growled, then turned to leave.

“This is hopeless,” he muttered.

Kurama heard him and turned around. His eyes widened and filled with tears again when he saw Yusuke leaving.

“Yusuke… you can’t… please don’t leave me!” Kurama cried, almost reaching hysterics. “You’re my friend…”

Kuwabara kneeled down by Kurama.

“Its okay, Kurama. You don’t need him.”

Kuwabara turned back to look at Yusuke.

“You’re the worst, Uremeshi! I’d never walk out on a friend!”

Yusuke ignored him and kept walking back toward his house.

This time, the tears fell from Kurama’s eyes. The pain and the loneliness were too much. It had broken down his calm exterior, and shown a scared, lonely little boy.

“Its okay, Kurama, I’ll stay with you,” Kuwabara said. “I don’t desert my friends.”

“But… I must get back home,” Kurama mumbled.

“Kurama, you’re in no shape to walk,” Kuwabara replied. “C’mon, you can stay at my house.”

Kurama shakily stood up.

“It’s a nice offer, Kuwabara, but I must go… mother will worry…”

He tried to walk, but he had barely gone three steps when he gasped and fell down on one knee.

“See?” Kuwabara asked impatiently. “It’s already five. I need to get home for dinner.”

“No, I know I can walk if I really try!” Kurama panted.

“No, you can’t, Kurama. Either I’m going to help you walk, or I’m going to carry you.”

Kurama hesitated, then nodded, defeated.

Kuwabara put Kurama’s arm around his shoulders and started back to his house.

As they slowly made their way to Kuwabara’s house, Kurama sighed.

“Kuwabara? Do you think this fight started because I’m a demon?”

“Why would that be, Kurama?” they heard a voice behind them say.

“Hiei? Is that you?” Kuwabara asked.

Hiei stepped out of the shadows.

“Why would a fight start here, in the Human World, of all places, because you’re a demon?”

“With Yusuke,” Kurama said softly.

“Hn.”

Then Hiei took a close look at whom Kurama was with.

“What are you doing with the big oaf?”

“He’s going to my house ‘cause he’s too weak to walk,” Kuwabara jumped in.

Hiei blinked.

“What happened?”

“K-Karasu…” Kurama stuttered. “A new k-kind of bomb…”

Concern flickered over Hiei’s face.

“Where?” he asked.

“His shoulder,” Kuwabara answered.

Hiei’s headband lit up purple, and he gazed at Kurama’s shoulder. He winced.

“It seems more than even you can bear,” Hiei said softly. “How do you do it?”

Kurama shrugged. Then winced as the fabric of his shirt rubbed against his burn.

“C’mon, Kurama, let’s go inside,” Kuwabara said.

Kurama nodded. Hiei took a step forward.

“You can come up once we’re already in my room,” Kuwabara said. “My mom would think it’s weird if I have a midget Goth kid come in with me.”

Hiei growled at the insult, but disappeared, heading to the tree next to Kuwabara’s room.

As Kuwabara and entered the house, Kuwabara’s mother came into the entranceway, wiping her hands on a cloth. Kurama hastily took his hand off Kuwabara’s shoulder.

“Good evening, Mrs. Kazuma,” Kurama said, making a slight bow.

“It’s good to see you again, Suichi,” Kuwabara’s mother said, smiling. “Will you be joining us for dinner?”

Kurama looked up at Kuwabara.

“Yea, mom, I’m having him over for dinner,” Kuwabara jumped in. Kurama gave him a thankful smile.

“Well, bring him up to your room to wash up, and Suichi, please excuse his room. He hasn’t cleaned it in a while.”

“Mom!” Kuwabara whined. Kurama chuckled.

Kuwabara held Kurama’s hand and made it look like he was pulling him up the stairs when he was really helping him. Kuwabara’s mother went back into the kitchen.

“Kuwabara? You’re pulling a little too hard; I can’t go that fast… HEY!”

Kurama stumbled but caught the banister to stop himself from falling.

“Kuwabara!”

“Oops… sorry Kur-”

Kurama hastily shook his head. Kuwabara’s mother was at the kitchen door, listening.

“I mean… sorry Suichi,” Kuwabara said.

They entered Kuwabara’s room without further problems.

“I can’t believe it took you that long,” Hiei said, sitting on Kuwabara’s bed.

“Well, sor-ry shrimp, but we had to get past my mother!” Kuwabara shot back.

“Hn.”

Kuwabara rolled his eyes and sat down on the chair next to his desk. Kurama sat next to him on the floor.

“I can’t believe I have to call you by your human name all night,” Kuwabara said. “I swear, I’m gonna screw up eventually.”

“I hope you don’t,” Hiei said coldly.

“Well, if you do, we can pretend it’s a nickname,” Kurama said.

Hiei rolled his eyes. “This is stupid. And your mother is about to call you for dinner. See you later.”

He jumped out the window and disappeared on the way down.

“Kuwabara! Bring your friend down!”

Kuwabara stared at where Hiei had been.

“How the-? What the-? How did he DO that?!”

Kurama laughed. “C’mon, Kuwabara, I need you to get downstairs.”

Kuwabara nodded. “Okay. I’ll introduce you to my dad!”

As they made their way downstairs, they heard a car pull into the driveway. Then the door opened and Kuwabara’s father stepped in. He wore a business suit.

“Hey Dad! How’d the meeting go?” Kuwabara asked, pulling Kurama faster, without meaning to.

“Kuwabara! I’m going to faALL!” -THUMP- “Ow.”

Kuwabara looked back. “Oops… Sorry, Suichi.” He kneeled down to help Kurama up.

“Be glad I didn’t land on my leg or my shoulder,” Kurama whispered.

“So, Kuwabara, is this one of your friends?”

“Yeah this is… Suichi,” Kuwabara said. “He’s staying for dinner.”

“Then he should call his mother and let her know,” Mr. Kazuma said. “The phone’s in the kitchen, Suichi.”

Kurama nodded. He gingerly put weight on his left leg as he walked to the phone.

“Hello, mother? It’s me, Suichi. I’m going to be staying at the Kazuma’s for dinner if you want to know where I am.”

The message was put on the answering machine, and Kurama carefully walked into the dining room where they were eating supper.

Kuwabara noticed Kurama was walking with a limp.

“You can sit by me, Suichi,” he said.

Then Kuwabara’s sister Shizuru walked into the room. Kurama sat on Kuwabara’s left, and Shizuru sat on Kurama’s left. Kuwabara’s parents sat across the table. Mr. Kazuma on Kuwabara’s side, and Mrs. Kazuma sat on Shizuru’s side.

“So, Kuwabara, who’s your new friend?” Shizuru asked.

“Suichi Minamino,” Kurama said.

Kuwabara envied Kurama’s being able to lie about things as straightforward as names.

“Kuwabara, would you like some chicken?” Shizuru asked.

Kuwabara shrugged. “I guess.”

“How about you, Suichi?” Shizuru asked, turning to face Kurama.

“Okay,” Kurama replied, holding out his plate.

As they started dinner, Shizuru mainly just talked to Kurama about school, and made fun of some the stranger teachers, like Mr. Akashi. There were no problems about Kurama’s injuries. Then, about ten minutes after dinner started, the power went out.

Kuwabara immediately started to use his spirit energy to be able to see better. He knew Kurama would as well. But his parents were trying to find a flashlight to see. Shizuru got a little frightened, and gripped Kurama’s shoulder tightly.

Stars flashed before Kurama’s eyes. He tried not to make a sound, but a low moan escaped him. He tried to stand up, and lessen the pain on his shoulder, but forgot about his leg. As soon as he put weight on his leg, he gasped as his legs gave way. He fell to the floor, unable to see, blinded by the pain from his injuries. He curled up and closed his eyes tight, waiting for the pain to fade.

“Kurama? Are you okay?” Kuwabara called, trying to find his friend.

The lights suddenly came back on and Kuwabara could see Kurama lying on the floor.

Kuwabara ran over and knelt by Kurama.

“Kurama? Are you okay? Please wake up!”

Kuwabara’s parents seemed confused.

“Kuwabara, his name isn’t Kurama. What are you talking about?” his mother asked.

“It’s a nickname,” Kuwabara said hastily, mentally slapping himself for forgetting.

He shook Kurama’s good shoulder. “Please wake up!”

Kurama stirred. His eyes fluttered open.

“Kuwabara? Is that you?” he whispered.

“Yeah, it’s me.”

“I- I can’t see again,” Kurama whispered. “My shoulder hurts…”

“What happened?”

Kurama paused for a moment, trying to remember.

“When the power went out, Shizuru got scared, so she grabbed my shoulder… it feels like it’s on fire, Kuwabara!”

“C’mon, Kurama, let’s go up to my room and fix this up.”

He took Kurama’s hand, and they carefully stood up.

“Mom, we’re gonna go up to my room for a little, okay?” Kuwabara asked.

“But what about dinner?”

“We’ll worry about that later!” * * *  

So, what do you think? I like where the plot’s going. If you want me to do anything with this story, review if you wish.