Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Watching Over Me ❯ Watching Over Me ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

I had this idea for a while now but found it hard to write a Kuronue remembrance story. It could have been better but I kind of like it still.
 
This song is from the band `Iced Earth' and the song is called `Watching over me.' This and one other song are probably my only favourite ones out of all of them.
 
Please review at the end of the story!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho
 
 
 
Watching over me
 
I had a friend many years ago
 
It's amazing what the first sentence of a song can do to a person. It immediately brought me into memory lane, rumbling down the track of thievery days as though it was a music clip. The rhythm, the lyrics and the motion the lyrics are pushed into. It's heartbreaking, especially about what the lyrics brought to my mind. It's the day I don't want to see, the day I don't want to remember; the day I wish had never come and went.
 
Kuronue was my friend that I had many years ago, a thieving partner; we relied on each other very much to pass through each steal. But then… one night… that changed. I won't forget it; I can't. I've tried; but it comes back… always.
 
One tragic night he died.
 
I remember the smell of bamboo running through my senses, like a herd of wild horses galloping to freedom. The `Chinese' plant was everywhere we looked; surrounding the fortress we invaded, even the path that we were running on to escape. I can still smell the aroma of it to this day. I can't forget it, especially when my friend died, surrounded by it.
 
That's right. Kuronue passed on… never to return into this desolate world.
 
The saddest time of my life
 
Just like the smell of the bamboo, I remember the scent of his blood, spilling onto the leafy ground that adorned the whole area. It still haunts me to even smell his blood; I never thought I would have to. He was skilled enough to avoid any traps but this time, he went back; for something precious to him, his locket. It was something he loved and cherished… and it took his life.
 
For weeks and weeks I cried
 
I don't even remember what I did next. I lived the next few weeks on my own, letting the memory of his death run through my brain continuously. It felt like it would never stop, like it was my fault he died in the first place. I went back for him, I was willing to, but the type of friend he was, made me stop and told me to save myself; should I feel guilty… or not?
 
I don't even know if I cried or not… it was long ago… but I think I remember the smell of salt wash over my nose, like a bucket of water was poured over my head. It was strong so I must have been shedding tears. It's hard to believe I did, considering that I was well known. I wasn't just sad about his death but also angry… why? Why was it his time to die?
 
Through the anger and through the tears
 
But even though I felt terrible, I had to look through it, look over it and into what I should do. What would I do now that he is gone, disappeared into the spirit world? I was alone. I didn't feel the loneliness a homeless person would feel because I am a demon and would have to feel it anyways eventually. It was new but I was quickly getting the hang of being alone, even though it still pains me inside.
 
What would I do now? I didn't know what to do now. It was still possible to steal from other places and things like that but it would never be as fun on my own. It would never feel the same… never.
 
I felt his spirit through the years
 
Through the anger I felt and the tears I shed, also the endless wondering about the future I had, I still felt Kuronue's spirit around me. I just felt this powerful presence following me around the land, as though it was a ghost who was attached to something like Velcro. It was interesting to feel this feeling and also believe that it was him. I'm sure it was; I found myself dreaming and thinking of him, laughing at old memories and jokes, pranks he pulled.
 
I know he's still here, even though his life is now in the hands of the Grim Reaper. Half of him is here with me and the other half is locked up in a prison somewhere or in a bar up in Renkai.
 
I'd swear watching me
 
He's there, watching me, I know, I can feel it, just as I can feel his presence, his spirit lingering around me. It's like I'm the master and am being followed by a little lost puppy, although this scenario is different, Kuronue is dead and the thing following me isn't solid but instead his spirit.
 
Guiding my through hard times.
 
Even though it was a few weeks, I can almost feel or sense his head peer over my shoulder like he normally did on one of his good days. He's guiding me, directing me in opinions and thoughts, actions and plans. He's there still. Though not fully here. I can talk to him but I talk to thin air, I ask questions but there's no reply. I talk to something but also nothing.
 
I feel it once again
 
Even now, in this human body, I feel his presence once again. Only when I met the koorime and was involved in business with the Renkai World, I have begun to feel his spirit again. I lost it a few years ago, just when I left the Makai world, escaping a bounty hunter, and entered the Ningenkai world. I entered the body of an unborn baby; it was then that I lost his company. But now, he has returned, following me again. I feel it again… I feel the joy of him still being around me… always be there Kuronue.
 
It's overwhelming me
 
I no longer feel alone now, I have friends, I have family - well, actually Shuichii does - and I have my old best friend still lingering around me. It's a good feeling, although now that I have gotten use to it, it feels normal, not quite overwhelming but at the same time… still is.
 
His spirit's like the wind
 
Now that my life is now like this, I remember back to the older days, when he was still alive. I recall the evenings and afternoons where we would spar regularly. He was fast, just like how a bat should be… slick… cunning… almost invisible in the night sky, which was casting its black shadows over the land.
 
Even though he is now a spirit, it's like the wind. Still fast and agile and always there. Always there… never leaving my side but also moving like the wind.
 
The angel guarding me
 
In some ways, he is now the angel guarding me, he's my protector whenever I am in need. Although that doesn't always happen; I can take care of my self. He's guarding me still, in any case of me falling and down. He'll help me, quicker then what my solid companions can do. He gives me hope, encouragement: `Don't give up…'
 
I won't.
 
Oh, I know, Oh, I know
He's watching over me
 
He's watching me always. Never turning his gaze to something stupid. His head is always peering over my shoulders, his hands are always on my rose whip, his feet are in place of mine in case of tripping, and his heart is in the fight when mine is not. He's my friend but spiritually there.
 
Oh, I know, Oh, I know
He's watching over me
 
He won't look away. It is not him to give up on a friend and walk away just because he's dead. He fights back even when he doesn't draw breath. He's watching me, only me. I can feel his eyes on my back and mine alone.
 
We shared dreams like all best friends
 
He was my old best friend and still is. That won't change and hopefully never will. As old friends, we shared many of the same goals and dreams. Stealing a rare artefact, trekking somewhere dangerous or finding a woman which we could call our mate; the touch of a woman's flesh on mine wouldn't be new, so it wouldn't be as special as the first time it was.
 
Sharing dreams… I still do. I guess I am filling out one of our main ones. It's long and hard and near impossible to complete, we may never complete it and: that's to move on. We made this pact before he had died even though he brought up the subject.
 
“Youko, if one of us die… promise me, that no matter who it is… the other… will move on…”
 
“What are you talking about?! We won't die and you know that!”
 
“It's life. We live and die, whether it is by man or by natural causes. We'll soon come close to life's end and what would happen if one was left alone”?
 
“Move on, mate.”
 
“Right on. So move on Youko. Move on but still remember me, just as I will do you. Promise?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
Blood brothers at the age of ten
 
With stealing, we must eventually get wounded, just as I did one time. I managed to run far enough into safety, after splitting up with Kuronue to avoid the enemy, and stay there until the bat found me. The wound was deep and hurt a lot but I didn't even show the pain… just didn't move.
 
I trusted him, he found me and to save me, he gave me some of his blood. Just to replace the few drops I lost. Well, `drops' is an understatement.
 
That's right, I have his blood still swimming in my veins. It's been there even since that day. In some ways, I am related to him, funny, but no.
 
We lived reckless; he paid the price
 
Sure our lives was dangerous but was also fun. Living recklessly was our type of forte; we liked challenge so living on the brink of annihilation was exciting, it gave our lives more purpose as well, something to live, to save.
 
But eventually, our lives being risky, Kuronue paid a very unfortunate price. He fell. He screamed. He told me to save myself. He no longer breathed. He died. Simple, but it seemed like it dragged on forever. His death was long and painful; I would have wished him a quick death if he was meant to die in the first place. I wasn't meant to know if he would have died anyway, so I couldn't help him. If only he didn't go back for his pendant, then he would still be alive and we both would still be in Makai as legendary thieves. Old days… never to return.
 
But why? Why did he have to die?!
 
I can't believe it! Thinking about it… just brings back the good memories we did have but also makes my mind think of his death. Always. Whenever I think of Kuronue, the first thing I recall is his death and it takes a while to think of the better times we had.
 
Why? Why did he have to die? He died so easily, as if he was weak. But he was strong, as strong as me, if not stronger due to him having to go through that pain of not wanting to be saved. Why? Why?! WHY?!! Why him?!
 
It still hurts me to this day
 
Even in this body, this human body, it stills hurts me. It won't leave me, the pain I feel. It feels painful. My head throbs and I instantly regret not going back to save him. I should have ignored his yells of getting away and run to him, to save him. But I did run away, just like the coward I feel like I am. Why do I feel this way? That pain was many years ago, but yet… it's as fresh as the spring water that just fell on my cheeks. It feels as though it just happened minutes ago, like no matter how many times I sleep and wake up, the pain replays again inside my body.
 
Am I selfish for feeling this way?
 
Am I a fool for feeling the hurt I have? Like it only affected me and only me? It affected him didn't it? He was the one who died, so he might have gone through more pain then what I do. But I feel this hurtful pain every day, every night, every minute of every hour. It never leaves does it? It's like the happiness of getting a child; I wouldn't know since I have never had one but I saw the look on Shuichii's parents faces. They were delighted and still happy to this day.
 
I know he's an angel now!
 
Either way, he's gone. A spirit, the wind and an angel. To me he's an angel, since he was the closest person I had at the time. He was a good friend… a special one.
 
Together we'll be someday!
 
And someday, I will be too…
 
Hopefully…
 
[Chorus repeat]
 
Please review now!There was still a fair bit left of the song but it was mainly the chorus and nothing really came to mind when I thought of it. Most of the stuff I wanted to write was in the first two choruses. Thanks for reading!
 
-Ciao-
Daark~Monkey!