Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ We All Miss You ❯ Recurring Pain ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A few minutes later I wake up to find Kurama watching me anxiously. "Are you okay, Caya?"

"Dragons are always okay," I respond, blowing out a puff of smoke. I can't seem to make fire yet…

"I'm just asking because, you know, you fainted and it really worried me."

"Stop worrying then! I'm fine! I think," I add unconvincingly, running my fingers through my hair. I blow another puff of smoke. There are embers in this one.

Good.

Kurama coughs and waves the smoke away from his face. "Sorry, onii-san," I say apologetically. "I didn't mean to get it in your face."

"That's fine."

Naturally, this occurs a flashback…the first time you saw me blow fire.

F*L*A*S*H*B*A*C*K

It was a battle. Kurama, always the graceful, looked like he was dancing around while twirling his deadly whip. Hiei was just randomly attacking. This was appropriate, seeming as he was completely surrounded by enemies. You were trying to regain your energy from a particularly draining attack. I still haven't figured out where the Baka-head went.

That's not important.

What's important is that you were being attacked. Before that stupid bastard could swing his axe, I had taken a deep breath and blown outward, flames shooting up my throat and out of my mouth, severely burning the demons attacking you. Before I turned back to the battle, I noticed you staring and flashed a peace sign. I yelled, "Dragons rule!" It all became clear to you then as you grinned and shot a Spirit Gun at the final demon.

E*N*D

"Caya? Are you okay?" It's my brother, and he's shaking me. Unwelcome tears slowly fall down my face. This flashback, combined with my slight hallucination of you standing there (a/n: that's why she fainted), makes me want to die. I can't stand your eternal absence.

"Hey…" It's Hiei, and he's looking at me apologetically. "I didn't mean to lose my temper back then."

"Me neither."

Before I can react, he hugs me. My eyes widen in shock. His arms around my waist are…comforting, in a way. I cry into his shoulder while he strokes my hair, telling me everything will be fine. As he says this, I cannot help but remember all the good times we had, and the bad times, right up till you were hit with that club, suffered serious brain damage, stayed in intensive care for over a year…

And died. You are dead, just as I feel. The tears flow faster and it is all I can do not to yell out your name.

Who could've known the pain could be this strong after five years?

I know I sure as hell didn't.