Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Written In the Stars ❯ Meetings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Written In The Stars

Chapter 1

Arella Neysa Nokomis walked down the street to her new school, her stomach tied in knots from being so nervous.

The day was rather beautiful day. The sun was warm and a cool breeze would occasionally blow by. The weather outside though was nothing compared to what Arella felt inside, alone, lost in the darkness, cold.

It had been six months since that terrible night she lost her mother. The police had never found the killer. They had thought it could have been a burglar, but nothing in the house had been stolen. The case was still left unsolved to this very day.

Today though, she was now currently living with her aunt and older cousins, who, to put it bluntly, treated her as though she was some sort of freak. Her aunt had even gone as far as to put her in a different school, rather then have her go to the same school as her cousins, which was just fine with Arella, considering how badly they treated her when she was at home.

One thing she did like about this new school so far was the uniform. In her old school, the girls' uniform was a hideous shade of pink. That and other reasons caused her to despise the color. This uniform though made her feel sophisticated. It was a brilliant shade of red that had gold trim on the sailor like collar of the business like jacket and two rows of gold buttons that stopped just above the waist. The skirt was just above her knees and had a business like pleat to it. With the uniform, she also wore black socks that reached just below her knees and brown Mary Jane shoes.

As she approached the school, her eyes carefully scanned the area, memorizing almost every detail about it.

So this is Mieou High School. I only hope that it is not as bad as my old high school was. The kids there were savages. Who knows, maybe I'll even be lucky enough to make a friend or two. I doubt it though, knowing my luck.

She stood at around 5'4 with long waist length golden sun colored hair that hung loosely around her. Her skin had a pale peaches and cream complexion, which went nicely with her small thin lips. Her eyes though were her best feature. They were a lovely purplish-blue, but in those eyes, there was a haunted and sad look, as though she did not remember what it was like to be happy.

Arella stood outside of the door of the classroom, her heart pounding in her chest a mile a minute. It was her first class at this new school and she was extremely nervous. Back in her old school, no one there would talk to her, let alone be friends with her.

Please don't let them all hate me. She thought, just as she noticed the teacher walking toward her. She smiled at Arella gently and opened the door, leading her inside.

***********

Kurama yawned and glanced out the window. It was hard to maintain his "diligent-student" expression, especially when he had a total of zero sleep last night. Not to mention the fact that the sun outside looked especially inviting.

The door opened and his attention shifted, eyes looking with interest at the two figures entering into the classroom with his peripheral vision. Something was…different. His eyes narrowed. Funny. She didn't look any different. He was completely awake now and his senses sharp.

"Class, we have a new student with us today," The teacher announced, "I would like you all to meet Arella Neysa Nokomis."

Arella had kept her head down the entire time. After the announcement had been made, she slowly looked to see how many people would be starring at her. Her gaze though fell upon one particular student in the classroom. He had long red hair and startling green eyes and was quite handsome. Probably the boy that every girl here wants to be with. She thought. She then noticed the empty desk right next to him.

"Miss Li, there's a seat open next to mine," Kurama smiled slowly, his lips drawing into a sensual bow.

"Arella, you may sit next to Shuuichi if you like," the teacher said. Arella just nodded and took the offered seat. What had surprised her was that he had offered it to her in a way. Maybe this new school won't be so bad. She thought. Then she noticed the death glares from the other girls, who were glaring at her with envy. Or maybe not.

Kurama faced the girl and bowed his head slightly. "Welcome to our high school," He leaned his elbows on the table and flashed her one of his "infamous" charming smiles. What was it? He still couldn't figure it out. Whatever she was...it didn't seem to be anything bad. But of course, even the dumbest of critters knew how to mask their Spirit Energy.

"Thank you," Arella replied to the boy. She hadn't really paid attention to it before, but now, she this feeling that there was something different about him, something unique, something she just couldn't place her finger on. Probably because of the smile, that's probably it. I never had one of the popular kids smile at me before. That's probably while I have this feeling. But part of her knew that was not the reason at all.

Class started and once again Kurama turned to face the blackboards, but now he didn't even try to look like he was alert. This girl was really bothering him. It made him feel insecure not to know something, and he didn't know a thing about her. He glanced at Arella out of the corner of his eye and watched her as she sat a bit uncomfortably. He bit his lip and emerald eyes flickered as he made a mental note to tell Yusuke about it after school.

Kurama tilted his head to one side, flaming red strands grazing his cheek softly. She reminded him of someone…just faintly. But once again, that image disappeared as soon as it came.

While Arella had been busy taking notes, she shifted in her sit a bit from the death glares the other girls were giving her. So much for making friends here. She thought. Class finally did come to an end though. Arella slowly stood up and started towards the door to her next class.

Kurama got up and slung his backpack over one shoulder and tied his hair into a loose ponytail and navigated himself out of the usual group that crowded about. She was taking notes, Kurama mused then chuckled. He might have a challenger for the top rank in class. "Wait, Arella!" He yelled out and ran over to her in the corridors.

Arella had been on her way to her next class when she heard someone calling to her. She stopped and looked over her shoulder, surprised to see who it was. "Yes?" she asked, once he had approached her.

Kurama jogged a little to catch up with her, "If you want, I'd like to show you around the school later," Maybe he could find out something more about the girl. In fact, he counted on it.

Arella was a bit surprised by the statement, but she smiled at him gently. "I think I would like that. When do you think you could show me around?"

"Whenever you'd like," Kurama smiled too and walked to his next class.