Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Written In the Stars ❯ Plans and Secrets ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Written In the Stars

Chapter 2

Kurama stepped off the bus and into the wide street. It was past sunset and the roads were casually paved without any particular accuracy and little green sprouts popped out from in between the cracks. He walked up the slight hill and into the temple. It was silent as usual and he sat in the empty room with plain white walls. Kurama could hear Genkai doing something in the next room and was thankful that he slipped in unnoticed. He just needed to...think. Kurama looked up, eyes skimming the boring room and noticed a lonely picture hanging on the walls. It was an Angel, her smile sweet and innocent, wings spread far and encircling her frail body.

"You got a thing for Angels now?" Yusuke asked, coming from the next room, noticing how Kurama was looking at the picture. "Genkai just got the thing today."

Kurama was awoken from his revere and reluctantly tore his eyes away from the apparently spellbinding photo. "Well, she's got good taste," Kurama made room for Yusuke on the bamboo tatami. "Where's Hiei?"

"In the next room, with Genkai," Yusuke said, taking a seat next to his friend. He gaze then went to where the picture now hung. "Apparently, she's suppose to be some kind of important figure or something. Some kind of hero," He said, nodding towards the picture.

"She's…" Beautiful? Yes. But why such a thought? He shook his head. "Anyway. I've wanted to talk to you guys about something…"

"What happened?" Genkai asked as she walked into the room where they sat. Yusuke looked over at Kurama, both of them eager to know what it was he had to say.

Just then Hiei walked into the room, his stride just as slow and languid as usual, but the look in his eyes were always deceiving.

"So, what the hell happened?" Yusuke asked, eager to hear what it was that Kurama had to say. Genkai just sat there patiently, waiting for him to speak.

"A girl transferred into the school today. I think she might be a demon but they're not allowed in the Living World," Kurama swallowed. But there didn't seem to be anything wrong with her. He found his eyes trailing back to that picture again. What was the connection?

"What makes you so sure it was a demon?" Yusuke questioned. Genkai meanwhile noticed Kurama's gaze fall upon the picture.

Hiei frowned. "Don't be stupid. What else could it be?" He followed Kurama's gaze also.

"She could have been an Angel," Genkai said calmly. "You should know about them Kurama, after all, you still lived in Makai at the time they still flourished there."

"An angel…" Kurama murmured. "Well, in any case. I'm going to show her around school tomorrow. I'll find out then."

"How? She won't simply just tell you," Genkai said. "If she truly is an Angel, or even a demon, she will most likely try to keep that part about her a secret."

Kurama smiled slowly, as if it was a secret. "Well, I have my ways."


Yusuke snorted, "Yeah. You lady charmer."

"Don't get too cocky Kurama," Genkai warned, "There is a good possibility that she may be immune to your charms. Not all girls are alike."

Kurama laughed. He didn't say anything back but he had an idea that this girl had already partially been charmed.

Genkai just shook her head and stood up. "Just be careful around her. Whatever she is, Angel or demon, we need to know as much about her as we possibly can," and with that said, Genkai walked back into the other room, leaving Yusuke, Hiei, and Kurama to sit with themselves.

**************

The next day, Arella sat down under one of the trees at school. Her hair was in a French Braid and she wore a lavender scarf around her neck. Earlier that morning, her Aunt Maura had gotten angry with her for spilling a bit of water on the kitchen floor and had tried to strangle her. Thankfully though, she had stopped and told Arella that she wasn't worth the effort of strangling. The attempt to kill her though had left some bruises on Arella's neck, which were hidden under the scarf.

Kurama was tired. Well, he was very tired. He didn't sleep last night...for no apparent reason. But there was always a reason, wasn't there? He was thinking about that picture again, though he didn't understand why it was so important.

He walked out in the school garden and watched the students loitering about with a new sense of...envy? Yes, it was envy. Their lives were so simple...and dull. Kurama sat down at a bench at picked off a flower from the large tree above him, noticing that a familiar figure was sitting right beside him.

I wish my mom were here. Arella thought, thinking back to the days when she had actually been happy. True, she didn't have any friends, but she had her mom and that had been enough. Mom I miss you. She thought, as she looked at the figure that had just sat next to her. "Hello Shuuichi," Arella said politely.

"Good morning, Arella," Kurama studied the flower in his hand and twirled the pristine bud around his fingers then reached up tentatively and stuck it in Arella's soft hair, admiring his handy work with a smile.

Arella started to blush at the kind gesture. This was certainly a first for her. He has a wonderful smile. She thought, but she quickly shook the thought away.Don't even try it Arella, he's only doing this to be nice! Besides, there's no way he'd be interested in you that way! He might just see you as a friend, nothing more! Arella quickly fixed the scarf around her neck and asked, "So, when are you going to show me around school?"

"Right now, if you'd like," Kurama glanced at her scarf. It was nearly summer. Why was she wearing a scarf? More importantly...what was she hiding under it?

"Yes, I would like that very much," she replied, noticing his eyes were on her scarf. "I had a bit of a cold this morning, I thought this might help." It was a lie, but it was the best thing she could think of at the moment to explain the scarf.

Kurama nodded, not asking more. He was still suspicious though, by the sound of her voice when it was silent for that one second too late. "So...tell me more about yourself, ne?"

"There's not much to tell really. I live with my aunt and older cousins, I like to draw a lot, I like to read occasionally when I get the chance, and I enjoy archery. That's about it. As you can probably tell, my life is pretty dull."

Kurama laughed, a soft and gentle sound. "Oh...I'm sure your life isn't that dull…" He said it carefully, wanting to see her reaction.

"Believe me, it is," Arella replied. She was thankful that he had not asked why she did not live with her mother and father. That was a rather...sensitive subject for her, one that she would rather not talk about.

Kurama stepped up onto a stony platform and waited there for Arella to follow. The school lie just in front of it, it's wide expanse serene, the tall buildings reaching and mingling with the blue horizon. A warm breeze tickling and ruffling at his fiery locks. "Well...there's the school," Kurama looked over Arella as the sunlight lit up her peaceful face. Her scarf billowed, loosening just enough for Kurama to catch a glimpse of a peculiar brown mark on her pale throat.

Arella put her hands on the scarf as quickly as she could before it flew off completely and reveled what was underneath. She adjusted it, making sure her throat was completely covered again.


He noticed her discomfort, raising an eyebrow. "Where did you get that from?"

"Get what from?" Arella asked, now starting to get a bit nervous. Please don't tell me he saw something. Please, don't let him have seen one of the bruises. She pleaded silently.

Kurama put a slim hand on Arella's shoulder, his warmth seeping into her skin. "That bruise…" He bit back. "If you don't want to talk about it…"

God I'm going to regret this, she thought but I can't have anyone questioning me about this. Arella pulled her shoulder free and glared at him. "Maybe you giving me a tour of the school wasn't that great of an idea. Thanks for the offer, but I'll be just fine on my own." With that said, she quickly ran towards the school doors.