Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Yasumu (A Day Off) ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yasumu (A Day Off)
 
The early morning breeze softly blew across the lake, causing small ripples that distorted the reflection of a thirsty deer. The cheerful chirping of the birds was easily heard as they flew about, searching for breakfast. Warm sunlight shone down on the peaceful haven, increasing the tranquillity of the scenery. The little nature's spot seemed totally untouched by mankind.
 
“AARRRGGGHHHH!!!”
 
SPLASHHHHH!!!
 
Err.. scratch that.
 
“Bwahaha!!” Yuusuke's laughter rang out through the tiny wood, scaring off every animal within the distance. The deer, which had been drinking its fill, had long scuttled away in fright at the first inhuman cry.
 
Kurama sighed as he watched Kuwabara flounder around in the lake, squirting water out from his mouth. He had stood up in the boat to reach for his fishing-pole and unable to hold his balance, he fell overboard. They were lucky that he didn't tip the boat over.
 
It was the school holidays and the gang was feeling very bored and restless without any of Koenma's dangerous missions to keep them occupied. Kurama's step-father had noticed the long faces and suggested that they spent a day fishing up in a secluded place that he knew. They had whole-heartedly agreed. Anything was better than sitting around doing nothing. Which was exactly what they were doing then.
 
“Sputter! Patooiii! Well, don't just sit there and laugh, Urameshi. Help me up,” Kuwabara yelled as he dog-paddled in the water.
 
While they struggled to pull him aboard, Hiei was sitting calmly in a willow tree a few feet away, paying only the briefest attention to his friends. He was on leave after 3 months in Mukuro's `torture castle' and was determined to savour every second of his vacation.
 
Peace was restored soon after. Aside from the steady dripping of water from Kuwabara, the three fishermen quietly readied their poles. Yusuke and Kurama had long cast away but Kuwabara was still fuming over his tangled string.
 
“I thought fishing was supposed to be relaxing,” Kuwabara burst out as the string became more knotted.
 
“It is,” Kurama answered back. “You must have patience, Kuwabara-kun, then you'll find fishing very rewarding.”
 
“That's easy for you to say. You have an endless amount of patience.”
 
Kurama smiled slightly and silence befell once again except for the occasional grunting and huffing from Kuwabara. Yusuke was nodding on and off to sleep while Kurama day-dreamed of a certain three-eyed demon not far away.
 
“A-HAH!!” Kuwabara shouted in triumph, snapping the both of them to alertness. “I've finally got it. Now watch the ol' Kuwabara sure-fire cast.”
 
The teenager excitedly flung the line behind, ready to cast it in. Kurama humoured his friend and watched while Yusuke pointedly ignored the braggart. In his excitement, Kuwabara had forgotten to hook the bait.
 
The hook whizzed through the air and snagged lightly on one of Hiei's belt, unnoticed by the dozing koorime. With a happy yell, Kuwabara cast his line in.
 
“Nani?” Hiei managed to say as he was suddenly jerked off the branch.
 
SPLASHHHH!!
 
“I got a bite! I got a bite!” Kuwabara yelled, almost jumping in delight as the line tugged violently, not even registering the dark shadow that was flung into the lake a few seconds before. “This must be one heck of a fish.”
 
He reeled in with all his strength. Giving it a sharp tug, he pulled his catch from the water. There dangling from the hook, dripping wet from head to toe, was a very mad three-eyed demon.
 
A fish was wriggling in his mouth, struggling to get back into the water. Moss hung everywhere and one frog sat contentedly on his head. He was such a sight that all three of them stared at him with incredulous expressions. Then simultaneously, they burst out in laughter. His face became almost purple with rage as he spat the fish out.
 
 
“This is the last time I'm hanging out with you maniacs,” Hiei grumbled after they brought him ashore.
 
He had taken a second dumping after Kuwabara released the pole in a fit of laughter. He would have burned them all to ashes if Kurama hadn't restrained him.
 
He shook himself like a dog, loosening droplets and green moss from his being. Peeling off his tank-top, he left it on a branch to dry. It was quite a warm day so he should be dry in no time at all.
 
Kurama practically drooled at the sight of the bare-chested youkai. Sigh, so near yet so far.
 
“Hey, Kurama,” Kuwabara called, waving his hand in front of the fox spirit's goofy face, snapping him out from his trance. “You better show me a few fishing pointers now that we're ashore. Urameshi's too busy catching up on his sleep to teach me.”
 
“Hai, Kuwabara-kun. Oi, Hiei. Where are you going?”
 
“Hn. You want to fish, go ahead but I'm not going near that buffoon if he's holding another one of that pole.”
 
With that, he flitted away to who-knows-where. Kurama pouted cutely as Kuwabara pulled him to the shoreline, preventing him from following his lover.
 
 
A while later, a pair of narrow eyes watched over the two Reikai detectives as the redhead patiently taught the other how to fish.
 
The eyes continued to observe them from the depths of the green leaves, hiding their owner from view as the teenagers laid down to rest with a fishing pole stationed near them. After some time, the two drifted to sleep in the warm weather.
 
Silently, when the two unsuspecting teens were deeply asleep, a long pole appeared from behind the leaves and a soft whirring sound was heard. A bare hook slowly appeared from the leaves and made its way to the intended target. After a few failed attempts, it finally managed to snag itself on a belt.
 
The line was reeled back, slowly and carefully lifting the hooked detective from the ground, who was still sound asleep. Inch by inch, the body rose until it was about two feet above the ground. Then the hands guided the pole to the left, moving the body in the same direction. The wind picked up suddenly, slightly rocking the body, and the hands stopped. Still, the detective slept on.
 
As the wind died down, the pole continued its journey until the hands were satisfied with the spot. One of the hands slipped into a pocket and with a flick of the wrist, the line was cut.
 
SPLASHHHH!!
 
It was silent for a few seconds until…
 
“AARRRGGGHHHH!!!”
 
Here we go again.
 
Kuwabara spluttered as he trashed about in the water for the second time today, still in shock by the rude awakening. He whirled around, looking for the culprit until he heard a familiar but rarely heard laughter.
 
“KISAMA!!” Kuwabara yelled, pointing at the laughing boy in the willow tree. “HOW DARE YOU!! I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS, HIEI!!”
 
Hiei was holding his gut, laughing hysterically at his prank. Managing to control himself, he stood on the branch but started laughing all over again as he looked at Kuwabara. “Haha… now… ha.. now we're even,” he wheezed out in between laughter.
 
Kuwabara glowered at the koorime and was about to retort when all of a sudden, Hiei landed just a foot away from Kuwabara in the water. Now, Yusuke stood in Hiei's previous spot, smirking down at his two wet friends.
 
“Hiei, you're getting soft. You didn't even feel my ki when I was sneaking up on you. Tsk, tsk, you need more practice, man.” Yusuke flexed his muscles like a heavyweight champion, strutting on the branch. “Woohoo, I am the king of the lake. Yeah, am I good or what?”
 
“Or what,” came the soft answer as the branch Yusuke was standing on flung him into the water, landing right beside Kuwabara and Hiei.
 
Kurama stood at the bank, grinning slightly at his wet comrades. “Tsk, tsk, you need more practice, Yusuke,” he taunted, repeating Yusuke's words. “Looks like I'm the king of the lake now, ne, minna?” he winked.
 
Kuwabara, Hiei and Yusuke glanced at each other and exchanged a mischievous smirk.
 
“Oh, yeah, you're the king of the lake alright, Kurama,” Yusuke replied, taking a step towards the bank.
 
“But shouldn't a king be crowned?” Kuwabara added, following Yusuke.
 
Foreseeing what they had in mind, Kurama took a step back from the bank. He turned to make a run for it but bumped straight into Hiei, who had flitted behind him when Yusuke and Kuwabara were distracting him.
 
“Hehe,” Kurama nervously laughed. “You guys are not serious, right?” By this time, both Yusuke and Kuwabara have reached the bank and blocked all possible escape routes. Kurama glanced uneasily at his friends and held up his hands in surrender. “C'mon, guys, tell me you're kidding. Guys, guys. No. Don't you dare. GUYS!! NOOOO!!”
 
SPLASHHHH!!
 
“My hair!! Oh, no, my plant seeds!! They're all floating in the water!! And I just reorganized them this morning!!” Kurama yelled in frustration as the rest laughed at the usually dignified and calm youko. “I'm gonna get you guys for this!!”
 
The yells and splashes chased many thirsty animals away from the lake, warning them that it was not the best time to quench their thirst. An hour passed before the commotion died down and dusk settled upon the foursome as they sloshed their way home from an altogether relaxing and unproductive day.
 
Owari