Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Ninety-Eight ( Chapter 98 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own either Inuyasha or the Belgariad/Malloreon series. Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi/VIZ and the Belgariad/Malloreon belongs to David Eddings/DEL Rey. There is absolutely no profit being made from this story. It merely fulfills a curiosity of mine---and a desire to keep some really old friends around for as long as possible. Please do not sue.

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here:
https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.
“I'm so cold,” Kagome whispered, trembling against Sesshomaru. She wheezed, her breathing labored. The young woman huddled closer to him, her arms wrapped weakly around his back. “So. Cold. Never gonna be warm again.”

Curled in his lap, the young miko's true size became evident. Her boisterous and welcoming personality often made her appear much larger than she really was. Now, however, her petiteness stunned the Demon Lord. In fact, Kagome wasn't that much bigger than Rin. Her small frame felt featherlight against him---so fragile and vulnerable.

Sesshomaru pulled her closer, alarmed by how cold her skin felt to the touch. He gently wrapped his fur about her, hoping it'd retain what body heat she had left. The Demon Lord brushed hair from her wan face, tucking the strands behind a rounded ear. He held her still, his arm enfolded around her protectively. Sesshomaru rested his chin atop her head, staring ahead stoically.

Under Belrin's barrier, the battle appeared to happen in silence. No ringing of steel and no shouts reached his ears. The action before Sesshomaru felt disjointed and unreal. It made it difficult to gauge who had the upper-hand. His brother's angry sneer remained unreadable---the frustration and fear etched on his features masking any progress he made. Conversely, the Hound of Naraku's smug expression hid much---if any---of the damage inflicted. These visual cues spoke little to the potential outcome---further infuriating the Demon Lord, making his current impotence all the more maddening.

His brother's unconventional style---so often seen as a flaw from Sesshomaru's standpoint---became Inuyasha's strength. His ability to land direct hits while taking few proved his prowess. The half-demon engaged in an elaborate dance, blocking, striking, and dodging in what seemed timed beats. Inuyasha used tactics that Sesshomaru only recognized as belonging to his brother---born of necessity instead of rigorous training. It didn't mirror his own graceful style, but Sesshomaru begrudgingly respected his brother's strategy all the same. Inuyasha kept ahead of the tentacles, Tetsusaiga ready to answer every parry.

The Hound of Naraku's barrier blunted most of Inuyasha's hits. Its onyx clouded the Demon Lord's view of the sallow creature briefly. Anger seethed through him, his demonic aura swirling in wisps around him. The cowardly attack on Kagome incensed him. This latest incarnation proved just as intimidated by the powerful miko as its master---as Sesshomaru believed they should be. She had been the clear target---and as he sheltered her, Sesshomaru clenched his teeth, restraining his temper. It'd do no good to give into his violent impulses. He stared balefully at the Hound of Naraku---this creature that had brazenly attacked his little sister only to hide underneath a barrier. He had to refrain for her sake.

Out of the corner of his eye, Belrin swayed. Her barrier flickered momentarily. Sweat beaded on her brow, fatigue etched across her face. In one fist, the little girl clasped her amulet. She squared her shoulders, strengthening her concentration. Briefly, her barrier shimmered like a sapphire gossamer curtain.

“Where am I? It's so dark,” Kagome muttered hoarsely. “Where's Inuyasha. I'm scared.”

Sesshomaru looked down at Kagome, gasping softly. Black tendrils curled up her neck, encircling his brother's mating mark. They undulated, attacking in an attempt to infect the violet swath of skin. Its jagged edges pulsed in retaliation, the color deepening.

As the inky miasma relentlessly attacked Kagome, she siphoned some of his demonic energy. It caused his aura to crackle, clashing with her sacred power. Sparks shot down the Demon Lord's spine as both of their auras flared. The sensation hummed through him as it answered her unspoken need. Sesshomaru closed his eyes, taking a deep and measured breath. He had to focus on releasing his demonic power slowly. He couldn't leave it unfettered---Kagome could be harmed by it or her immense spiritual powers might flare and try to purify him.

“Need somewhere to hide,” Kagome whispered. “Can't face this without Inuyasha.”

Kagome weakly struggled against him. Her palms shoved his shoulders, slipping as they lost purchase on his silks. Sesshomaru pulled her flush against his chest, preventing the young miko from slicing her hands open on one of the sharp spikes protruding from his armor. Her heart beat wildly, the pitter-patter thrumming in his ears. Her ragged breaths came in harsh puffs---escalating as she became more agitated. Kagome tossed her head, whimpering softly. Fear blanketed her scent, permeating the air.

The Demon Lord willed his own heartbeat to slow. He coaxed her into syncing with his methodical breaths. Sesshomaru held each inhale for the span of two heartbeats, exhaling as slowly as possible. Over time, Kagome relaxed, her head resting limply on his fur. Her breathing evened out, her heartbeat slowing to match his own.

“Sesshomaru-sensei?” Shippo asked, his timid voice wavering. “Is Mother alright?”

Sesshomaru opened an eye, glancing towards the frightened kit. Tears shimmered in his eyes. Anxiety and concern cast a vulnerability on his youthful face. His tail bristled behind him as he trembled violently. His aura exuded tension---tension that may foster the nightmares haunting Kagome. He needed the kit to restrain his emotions.

The Demon Lord curtly shook his head no. “Stay silent and still, boy. This Sesshomaru must concentrate on aiding her.”

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sensei.” Shippo bowed, a petulant pout puckering his lips.

Kagome curled into a tight ball, her nose tucked against his neck. She trembled, the fear in her scent overwhelming. It made it cloying, her normal clean scent masked. Even the strange artificial apple scent in her hair lacked the strength to overpower her building terror. The young miko gasped, her arms clenching around his torso.

“Gotta keep running. Can't let him find me,” Kagome whispered, a hysterical edge entering into her voice. “Have to find Inuyasha.”

Sesshomaru gently threaded his clawed fingers through her hair, trying to soothe her. He held her as still as possible. The Demon Lord emitted a low rumbling growl, hoping the drone of it would calm her nightmare. Something stalked her in her subconscious---something connected to the black miasma attacking his brother's mating mark. He feared that her panic may make it more virulent. Sesshomaru focused on his low growl, allowing it to soothe his anxious mind. It reverberated from deep inside his chest. The longer he did it, the more relaxed Kagome became---her body becoming limp as she drifted into a peaceful sleep.

“He did it.” Shippo gasped. “Father did it! Look at Tetsusaiga! It's purple!”

Sesshomaru's eyes flew open. He stared in awe at Tetsusaiga. His brother had yet again managed to take the majesty of their father's blade and enhance it in a spectacular fashion. The massive blade shone a polished violet, wisps of power wrapping around it in swirls. The Demon Lord's breath stopped as he watched Inuyasha slice through the barrier, the black inky shell seeming to shatter under the blow.

A look of abject horror etched its way across the Hound of Naraku's face. His eyes bulged in his withered visage. Slowly, the cadaverous man started to back up, his hands held up in supplication. The Hound stared at Tetsusaiga, clearly terrified of the great fang.

A triumphant sneer settled over Inuyasha's features. The violet blade cast eerie shadows on his face, making it all the more feral. They made the jagged stripes etched onto his cheeks that much crisper---and the fury in his gold eyes potent. In that moment, Sesshomaru's heart clenched in sorrow. For the briefest of moments, it appeared as if his father had returned from the grave to wield the mighty sword once more. The half-demon stood taller, his frame poised to land the crucial killing blow. In his hands, Tetsusaiga pulsed, the blade becoming a beautiful sapphire.

In a split second, the Hound of Naraku resumed the shape of the hulking dog. He turned, preparing to flee from the throne room. The mark of Onigumo etched angry red lines across his back. They flared, appearing like fiery veins coursing through his dark fur.

The Hound of Naraku stood no chance.

Inuyasha rushed him in one fluid motion, Tetsusaiga arcing. With one swing, his brother decapitated the Hound. The foul creature fell in a heap, black blood pooling around him. In the aftermath of his demise, the Hound reverted to a human corpse, his hands curled into claws above his headless body.

In Sesshomaru's grip, Kagome tossed and turned, whimpering softly. She struggled, trying to break free. She whispered, “Please. I'm so scared. It's too dark here. Where's Inuyasha?”

Sesshomaru rocked her slowly, hoping his momentary distraction wouldn't totally undo his efforts to calm her. He whispered, “This Sesshomaru is here, little sister.”

“S---Sesshomaru?” Kagome asked hesitantly. Her eyes opened, meeting his. The glassiness saw through him, a great fear and pain swirling in their depths. “How---what are you doing here?”

Clearly, the miasma affecting the young miko did not dissipate with the Hound of Naraku's demise.

Glancing up, the Demon Lord saw his brother standing before them, concern crossing his face. His stripes hovered, fading in and out on his skin. Inuyasha held a hand up, his open palm resting on Belrin's barrier. It rippled blue as it repulsed the half-demon.

“Belrin,” Sesshomaru called softly. “Drop your barrier.”

The little girl sat cross-legged. Her eyes remained closed, concentration lines wrinkling her forehead. Slowly, she lifted her head, her weary eyes opening. Her hands crushed her amulet, the knuckles white from the pressure. Belrin's shoulders slumped in obvious fatigue. With a negligent gesture, Belrin relinquished her barrier. She whispered, “Thank you, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Inuyasha paused in front of them, crouching to his knees.  He gasped, his eyes wide with worry. A flash of red flickered in their depths. “Kagome?”

“Inu---Inuyasha?” Kagome weakly called. “Where are you?”

Inuyasha clasped her hand, kissing it. “I'm here, Kagome.”

His mating mark pulsed, the black lines thickening as they spiraled around it. Their tendrils pierced it, staining it a dull black. Kagome stiffened in Sesshomaru's embrace, a sharp cry escaping her lips. She collapsed against him, her body totally limp. Her skin became clammy and her face ashen white. Her aura sputtered then dissipated, leaving a void. In his ears, her heartbeat sounded so faint---its rhythmic life force meter all but imperceptible.

“What's wrong with her, Sesshomaru?” Inuyasha asked, his voice gravelly. His ears pinned tightly to his head and he tensed in fear.

“This Sesshomaru does not know, little brother. She's steadily declined during the battle.”

Inuyasha bit his lip, his eyes falling closed. His aura surged around him, a deep blue. His head bowed and he whispered, “So, I was too late. Killing that bastard's new incarnation didn't stop her poisoning. He's right. He said she'd die.”

Sesshomaru glanced at Kagome's pallid face. An internal battle waged within her---clearly centered on her bond with his brother. The miasma targeted his mating mark. That threat to their bonding attacked Inuyasha, too. The Demon Lord sensed it in his brother's fluctuating aura and his defeated posture. This attack meant to rip Inuyasha and Kagome apart.

“Do not give up hope, Inuyasha.” Sesshomaru shifted, easing Kagome towards the half-demon. “She's been calling for you. She needs you.”

Inuyasha flinched back. His head raised, his eyes flashing. Pain swirled in their depths. He shook his head. In a deeper voice, he whispered, “Please. Carry her for me. Until we're out of this place and somewhere safe, it's best that I don't do it. I may have to fight another one of those fucking Hounds.”

Sesshomaru nodded. “This Sesshomaru understands.”

From the dais, he saw Belgarath eagerly reading the Oracles. The old man turned a few pages back and forth, a triumphant smile on his weathered face. He turned, preparing to announce his findings when Polgara said sharply, “Bring them with, Old Wolf. We have more urgent matters. Three of us are hurt and we are all exhausted. Tomorrow is another day.”

The old sorcerer frowned, a petulant pout settling over his lips. His shoulders slumped and he closed the Oracles with a heavy thud. “Have it your way, Pol.”

“I always do.” Polgara eased her mate's arm around her shoulder. He leaned heavily on her, his face wan. “Let's go. I've seen more than enough of Torak's House to last me a lifetime.”

The Demon Lord spotted the Godslayer cradling his tiny mate in his arms. She looked pallid, the only vibrancy left being her coppery tresses spilling onto Garion's shoulders. Her lips moved slowly and Sesshomaru strained to hear her words. The Rivan Queen repeated over and over, “They've taken Geran. They've taken my baby.”

Sesshomaru's eyebrow arched. So the Hound of Naraku had infected Ce'Nedra the same way he had Kagome. The miasma trapped her in a nightmare---testing her at every turn and attempting to crack her sanity. The Godslayer rested his chin atop her head, his plain face a thundercloud of fury. His blue eyes hardened into ice, reflecting the cerulean fire of his great blade. His intense grip on its hilt proved the impotent rage building within---and the restraint he exhibited by not lashing out violently. His bond with his mate also faced a strenuous challenge.

Slowly, Sesshomaru stood, supporting the miko against his shoulder. He adjusted her gently, cushioning Kagome's weight at his hip. Her arms hung limply around his neck, her face tucked into his shoulder. Sesshomaru made certain that she was secure so not to jar her inadvertently during their journey.

The wolf-woman joined him, her gold eyes tired and grave. “Belrin is exhausted from the day and the long use of her Will. With your permission, one will carry her. I fear she's far too tired to make the long walk back to the horses.”

“This Sesshomaru appreciates the offer.”

The Demon Lord glanced towards Belrin. She crumpled into a heap, her head resting on her chest. Soft snores escaped her as sleep possessed her. The little girl looked pale and utterly worn out by the long day. Belrin started to topple over, jerking awake with a startled gasp.

“Come on, dear,” Poledra said. She knelt in front of the little girl. “You're much too tired. Let me carry you.”

Belrin threw her arms around her neck, burrowing her face into the wolf-woman's shoulder. She yawned wide, promptly falling back to sleep.

The large group made their slow progress back out of Ashaba, taking the winding hallways and narrow passageways unheeded. Everyone moved in silence, the foreboding House taking on the atmosphere of a grand mausoleum in the battle's aftermath. Ahead of Sesshomaru, Polgara buttressed her mate, the little thief on the other side. The Godslayer carried his wan mate, her tiny form still in his embrace.  

Next to him, Inuyasha stalked the halls, his aura swirling around him in growing frustration and rage. He clenched his hand around Tetsusaiga's hilt, the knuckles white. His long hair shrouded his face from view. Every few minutes, the half-demon clenched the front of his fire-rat in his fist, gasping softly. The longer it took them to find sanctuary away from the malevolent Ashaba, the more distressed his brother became.

Sesshomaru adjusted Kagome, her utter stillness unnerving him. If not for her soft breaths against his neck, the Demon Lord feared the worst for the miko.

The group emerged into the crisp night air. Overhead, a crescent moon hung low in the sky, bathing the grotesque courtyard in silver-white light. As a whole, they scurried to the hidden alcove they'd left the horses waiting. Their mounts snorted, stamping their feet in greeting. The stallion---Leader---nudged at Sesshomaru, neighing softly. With so many exhausted or injured, the likelihood that they could ride away from this terrible place diminished. Instead, they led their animals back beyond the gate and into the dense forest encircling the ruined mansion. They found a small clearing protected from the wind and began the routine set up of camp.

Silence filled the area. No birds warbled. No insects buzzed. No creatures scurried in the branches. Most importantly, the Hounds seemed absent. None of their ominous howls filled this forest. A tentative peace settled over the clearing, cocooning them from the night's danger.

A large tent emerged in the ramshackle camp. Polgara ushered the Godslayer and his wife inside. She beckoned to Sesshomaru next. The tent served as an infirmary. The Demon Lord entered through the open flap, carefully arranging Kagome onto the small pallet in a corner.

Kagome whimpered softly, her head tossing from side to side. Her glassy eyes searched the dimness blindly. The gold flecks in them appeared tarnished and diminished. Her mating mark shaded black, the spidery lines surrounding it like an elaborate web. Kagome shivered, the cold air penetrating her.

“Please---don't leave me,” Kagome whispered. “I can't do this alone, Sesshomaru.”

The Demon Lord sat down, taking her hand into his. He gently squeezed it. “This Sesshomaru has no intention of letting you do so, little sister.”

On her other side, Inuyasha collapsed into a heap. A sharp hiss escaped his lips. The half-demon's aura flared, swirling a brilliant azure. Inuyasha lifted his head, his eyes a deep red. Blinking, they became an angry burnished gold. His stripes hovered on his face, fading apparitions of their deep color. He clasped Tetsusaiga in an iron grip---an obvious attempt to maintain his ebbing control.

Inuyasha said, his voice rough, “I'm fine. Just give me a moment.”

Polgara joined them, gently resting a hand on Kagome's forehead. She clucked her tongue in concern. “This energy---it's not sorcery. I can't drive it out. Ce'Nedra's afflicted by it, too. It's trapped her in a nightmare. We need to purge it before it kills them both.”

Sesshomaru glanced towards the opposite corner. The Rivan Queen trembled on the sleeping pallet, feverishly mumbling. Next to her, the Godslayer crouched, holding her hand tenderly. Fear sparked in his blue eyes, a helpless expression crossing his face.

“It's demonic,” Inuyasha said, his voice dropping a few more octaves. He clutched his fire-rat robe right above his heart. “I don't know that anyone can---besides Kagome herself.”

“Keep her calm and still. Perhaps by morning, we'll know more that can be done.” Polgara brushed some hair away from Kagome's face.

The sorceress joined the Godslayer and his mate, gently resting a hand on his shoulder.

Next to Sesshomaru, the wolf-woman knelt down. She eased Belrin from her shoulder. The little girl blinked bleary eyes before resting her head in the Demon Lord's lap. Belrin threw her arms around his waist.

Poledra smoothed a hand down her back. “She insisted that she be near you. If the poor dear wasn't literally falling asleep on her feet, I think she'd stay awake until she got what she wanted.”

Sesshomaru snorted. He nodded his thanks. The Demon Lord slid his arm around her, holding the little girl close.

“One must see to a few things.”

Nearby, the fox kit timidly approached. His green eyes shimmered with unshed tears. “Father, Sesshomaru-sensei?”

“Come sit by this Sesshomaru, boy,” the Demon Lord commanded. He knew that Inuyasha's current temperament couldn't tolerate a frightened little boy. He patted a space next to him. “Be silent and be still.”

The little boy took his seat, his head bowed. His tail twitched in worry. A wide yawn overcame him. Clearly, his anxiety and his need for sleep warred within him. His head bobbed several times.

“Sleep, boy.”

Shippo curled into a tight ball, his head resting on Sesshomaru's fur.

A hush fell over the camp as everyone else bedded down for the night.

Sesshomaru sat watching Kagome's face closely. Pain etched its way across her features, worry lines making deep trenches into her forehead. Kagome bit her lip, the pressure bruising them. All the color drained from her face, making the stark black lines all the darker. Their vines curled around her neck, forming an elaborate stencil on her skin.

His earlier anger bubbled up. Sesshomaru clenched his teeth in impotent anger. His brother had trusted him to protect his mate. He had failed. Part of him wanted to revive the Hound of Naraku just so he could slowly torture the coward nice and slow. It had assaulted one of his pack---and Sesshomaru wanted to exact retribution all over again.

In his embrace, Belrin stretched before curling up closer to him. The softest of snores reached the Demon Lord's ears. As he absently rubbed circles on her back, his anger ebbed away. Even in her sleep, Belrin managed to soothe his inner turmoil. Sesshomaru knew he must restrain his temper for both Inuyasha and Kagome's sake. They were the ones under attack, after all.

“It's funny,” Inuyasha whispered in the hushed quiet. “Kagome's magic. I swear.”

Sesshomaru blinked, puzzled by the statement. “Meaning?”

“Everyone focuses on her ability to purify---and don't get me wrong, they should.” Inuyasha paused, taking a long shuddering breath. His eyes flickered scarlet a moment, a hint of the eerie pupils peeking. He crushed his hand around the hilt of Tetsusaiga. “But really, Kagome's ability to bring people together---that's her true gift.”

Sesshomaru nodded. He adjusted Belrin against him, slipping her into his lap. Her head rested on his shoulder. “Go on, little brother.”

“Take the whelp there,” Inuyasha tilted his chin in Shippo's direction. “We found him shortly after the jewel broke. He's just an orphan, his father freshly killed and no real way to do anything about it. After we helped him---at Kagome's insistence, I'll add---he just tagged along.”

Sesshomaru snorted. He wasn't surprised by the kit's tragic story. He glanced down at the sleeping little boy. A peaceful exhaustion settled over his face. He inched closer, his head moving to rest on Sesshomaru's knee.

Inuyasha bit his lip, a small hiss of pain escaping. He said, “Somehow, even though I did all of the fighting, Shippo saw Kagome's true gift to bring people together. She's always like that---making people feel welcome. She just doesn't care if you're human, demon, half, whatever. So he stayed---and my pack began.”

Sesshomaru pursed his lips. His brother did not normally share this much---not with him at least. He watched Inuyasha's face closely. The half-demon stared down at Kagome, tenderness written all over his features. His ears drooped in weariness. A strange emotional duality of love and rage swirled in their flickering depths. His brother sat rigidly, Tetsusaiga propped against a shoulder. His knuckles turned white from his iron grip---a clear indication that his tenuous grasp on control teetered on a knife's edge.

Sesshomaru nodded. “That does not surprise this Sesshomaru.”

“And then there was the monk,” Inuyasha continued on as if the Demon Lord hadn't spoken. His eyes trained upon the miko, a haunted distance in their depths. “He was a pain in the ass after a jewel shard---and he stole Kagome's metal cart and Kagome all in one stroke.”

Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow. The nature of their first meeting did not surprise him. The monk had proven himself to be a notorious liar and thief. The fact that Inuyasha had somehow managed to overlook the abduction of Kagome stunned him. The half-breed fiercely protected the miko---long before they had become mates. That the monk could pull such a stunt and still ally himself with Inuyasha proved astonishing.

Nevertheless, his brother's confessionals baffled Sesshomaru. He searched the half-demon's visage, alarmed by the agonizingly slow transformation. Red swirled in his gold eyes---and the blue aura wafting from his tense frame flashed an angry scarlet. Inuyasha stared at him, his eyes seeing straight through the Demon Lord.

“Inuyasha---,” Sesshomaru called, trying to break his brother free from this strange reverie. “Dwelling in the past will not help your mate.”

“Even though he'd kidnapped her briefly, Kagome saw the good in the lecher,” Inuyasha continued on oblivious to the Sesshomaru. “He wouldn't endanger innocents with the Wind Tunnel and we teamed up against a jackass painter. He stayed for Kagome---pledging pure motivations, of course.”

The Demon Lord's gaze flicked between Inuyasha and Kagome. Whatever infected her impacted them both. As his demonic aura rose and his transformation hovered in transition, the more the black lines coursed over her face and stained the mating mark a darker black. When Inuyasha started to recover somewhat and resumed a normal countenance, his mark became violet once more. It ebbed and flowed in a titanic struggle for supremacy.

“Sango joined us under far more violent terms.” Inuyasha gasped loudly, hunching over. He wheezed, clutching his chest.

“Inuyasha,” Sesshomaru interjected, alarmed. “Do not stress yourself.”

“I'm fine,” Inuyasha said through gritted teeth. “As a demon slayer, Naraku needed her village destroyed. He needed the elite slayers eliminated---and he needed a scapegoat: me. Doesn't matter that he possessed her brother, Kohaku, and forced him to kill everyone. When she went after me---and after Sango stole the Tetsusaiga, Kagome got through to her first---comforting Sango in her grief. That's who she is.”

Kohaku! Sesshomaru's eyes widened at the name---her brother had the same name. Could it be?

“This Kohaku---he remains a puppet of Naraku's, does he not?” Sesshomaru asked icily.

“Yes---thanks to a jewel shard.” Inuyasha bit his lip, his fangs slightly elongated. “With Sango, my pack was complete---for awhile. Kagome continues to bring people together, and I'm always stunned when my world gets a little bigger.”

The half-demon took Kagome's hand into his own, squeezing it. The young woman squeezed back, the black vines that crawled up her face receding back to her neck. The battle they waged separated by consciousness began to converge. Somehow it didn't surprise Sesshomaru that this most unconventional pair had managed to find a way to do this together.

It still baffled him as to why his brother confessed this to him---and yet he sensed that Inuyasha told this story to himself for some purpose beyond the Demon Lord's understanding.

“The last person I ever expected her to bring into my life was you---though the pup did help.” He laughed, the sound deeper and bittersweet. “Seems the only ones we're fooling is ourselves. Kagome sees through all of our bullshit, you know. Even when we don't---or don't want to.”

Sesshomaru glanced down at Kagome. This small woman had changed everything in a few short months. His brother spoke the truth. He couldn't deny it and yet part of him bristled a little at the notion that anyone could be that earth shattering to his life. It was unthinkable.

And yet she hadn't been the first.

Belrin sighed contentedly in her sleep, winding her arms around his back tighter. She mumbled something incoherent before nuzzling her nose into his neck. The little girl trusted him totally---and had left a fundamental footprint on his heart.

How could Sesshomaru see Kagome's impact on him as any different? Her ready acceptance and gentle nature embraced him---shaping him into something better. Somehow these two human females had managed to change everything for both brothers---they brought a purity and joy that hadn't been there before.

Inuyasha snickered, drawing Sesshomaru's attention. His eyes met the half-demon's---and finally, it seemed that his brother actually saw him, too. He said, “Boy, is Kagome ever right about you, puppy dog.”

“This Sesshomaru does not appreciate your tone, half-breed.”

“Hey, it's Kagome's term, not mine.” Inuyasha smirked, the playful expression unnerving on his half-transformed face. “The way the pup and whelp are using you for a pillow proves her point, puppy dog.”

“This Sesshomaru dares you to call him that one more time, half-breed,” the Demon Lord retorted. “They'll be your last words.”

“Oh don't get all indignant, jackass. It's a damn compliment. Means under that bastard coating is someone rather decent.” Inuyasha sighed. He looked down. “Kagome's also right about our bickering, you know---why we do it and what it really means. You're my brother and I wouldn't have it any other way.”

“Inuyasha,” Sesshomaru began, astonished. “You honor this Sesshomaru with your words, brother.”

The half-demon grunted, shifting. He gasped, his face blanching. His eyes bled red, the blue pupils piercing. The markings on his cheeks darkened. Inuyasha crushed the hilt of Tetsusaiga in one hand and the front of his fire-rat in the other. A tortured whine tore from his throat.

On the sleeping pallet, Kagome tossed and turned fitfully. Her mark turned a solid black, pulsing. She whispered, “No---you're wrong. Inuyasha would never ever hurt me.”

Sesshomaru looked from one to the other. Time seemed to run short---both of their agonies evident. He lacked any real ability to stop this attack. His demonic power did not drive out these kinds of poisons. He could not rescue Kagome from her nightmare. He could not soothe his brother's pain or truly stop his transformation. All he could provide was a steady presence and hope that somehow it would help them both break free.

“Sesshomaru---,” Inuyasha whispered hoarsely. “Listen. I need you to promise me, brother. If I transform, kill me.”

Everything fell into place---and terror rushed in Sesshomaru's veins. His brother had confessed all these things about his pack in order to groom him to be the sole pack-leader.

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here: https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.