Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Ninety-Nine ( Chapter 99 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own either Inuyasha or the Belgariad/Malloreon series. Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi/VIZ and the Belgariad/Malloreon belongs to David Eddings/DEL Rey. There is absolutely no profit being made from this story. It merely fulfills a curiosity of mine---and a desire to keep some really old friends around for as long as possible. Please do not sue.

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here:
https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.
Chapter Ninety-Nine
“No.”

“No? What do you mean no?” Inuyasha asked, his voice strangled. “Please. I need your promise, brother.”

Everything felt hot. His blood boiled. His body thrummed with pent up demonic power. Inuyasha's heart clenched, the searing pain rocketing through his limbs. With each heartbeat, any healing Kagome had done seemed irrevocably undone. Inuyasha wrestled his inner demon, trying to prevent it from taking hold.

His demon raged within---convinced that Kagome had finally chosen to reject him. It wanted to lash out in anger---to tear everyone apart and destroy everything. His demon wanted to make everyone feel as broken as he did---totally cut off and alone. The barrier erected between him and his mate rubbed salt into his psyche. The miasma coursing through Kagome sought to sever their bond---fueling his demon's fears.

Kagome moaned softly, tossing and turning on the pallet. Her hands clenched and unclenched at her sides. A troubled expression crossed her face, her forehead wrinkling in worry. “So dark here. So cold. Inuyasha---,”

Rationally, Inuyasha knew that this rejection was artificial. Kagome called for him. She currently fought this poison---all to get back to him. It may have infected her---but his agony would be temporary if he could just hang on. Inuyasha knew that the outcome came down to Kagome's tenacity. No one was more stubborn than Kagome---including himself and his brother. He'd bet on her every time.

And yet it grew harder to resist his inner demon with each passing moment.

“No.” Sesshomaru stared at him, anger and sorrow swirling in his eyes. A stern frown crossed his lips. “This Sesshomaru will not be your method for suicide.”

“Suicide?” Inuyasha hissed in pain. His aura flared, and his claws lengthened. Squeezing his hands around Tetsusaiga, the half-demon breathed deeply. “I don't want to kill myself---and I don't want to die, but if I transform---,”

“The answer is still no.” Sesshomaru's back stiffened, and his aura swelled, clashing with the half-demon's. It crackled, the Demon Lord's anxiety feeding Inuyasha's inner demon. “I meant it when I said that I'd never ever go through with what I did at that inn ever again. This Sesshomaru shall not be your murderer---or your easy way out.”

“You better get through to him. You're wasting too much time arguing---and you can't afford the anger your demon will feed on. The angrier it is, the more potent that miasma becomes.”

“Easy way out? Oh for fuck's sake.” Inuyasha growled, grinding his teeth. Red tinted his vision. “Listen, I don't have time to argue. If I transform, Sesshomaru, I'll already be dead. It'll destroy my human heart. There will be no coming back from it this time.”

Sesshomaru gasped softly, his eyes wide. “You are certain?”

“Deadly.” Inuyasha tapped his temple for emphasis. “He keeps telling me so.”

Inuyasha kept the other consequence quiet---its reality too frightening to voice. It'd make it possible---not just an abstract concept. The Hound of Naraku had promised a slow and agonizing death for Kagome---her execution would be proceeded by a bout of madness. Both of them would lose themselves if he dared even a moment to transform.

“I need your promise, Sesshomaru. I transform, kill me.”

“Yes,” Sesshomaru whispered brokenly. “This Sesshomaru promises.”

“Thank you.”

“Quick. Go back to talking about Kagome. Your bond is your weapon---just as it is theirs. Use it.”

“Like what? I'm no good at this.”

“Anything about her. You were on a roll earlier. Just go through your memories.”

Inuyasha stared ahead, gently caressing Tetsusaiga's hilt. The beginning seemed a logical place to start as any.

“Shortly after the jewel broke, we were attacked by Yura of the Hair. She wanted the jewel, but what she really wanted was my hair---which is a fucking weird thing to say.”

The half-demon looked down at Kagome. The roiling anger bubbling under the surface tempered the longer he stared at her face. Her bangs had grown out considerably since they'd arrived in this strange world. The longer ebony locks framed her face, softening it. Inuyasha brushed them aside, tucking their soft waves behind an ear. He took a deep breath, drinking in her clean and soothing scent. It blanketed him, salving his damaged heart. The vice loosened around his chest.

“Kagome had decided to go home just before then---and I was more than okay with that at the time. She had zero fighting skills and would just get in the way. Kagome was useless to me. I'd find the shards all by myself---or so I thought.”

“Way to flatter her. That's not a glowing picture you're painting, Inuyasha. Talk positively about your mate. No wonder she sits you so much.”

“Shut up, asshat. I'll get to my point,”
Inuyasha snapped back. He squeezed Tetsusaiga's hilt, staving off his irritation.

Out loud, he said, “Turns out, though, that I needed her eyes. You know, she could see Yura's damn hair and I couldn't.”

Sesshomaru snorted, a perplexed expression on his face. He pursed his lips and his brows furrowed. Ever so slightly, his head tilted to the left.

Inuyasha burst out laughing, the sound slightly hysterical. “If you could only see your face right now. No one can ever question if you're a dog demon, alright.”

“This Sesshomaru fails to understand what is so amusing about his face.” Sesshomaru frowned, indignation flashing in his eyes. “Furthermore, my full blood status can never be the insult you're pathetically trying to make it out to be, half-breed.”

“Oh climb off of your high horse, jackass. It's just a shame that I can't figure out that little box and make a drawing. Kagome would have loved your face just now.”

Sesshomaru snorted disdainfully. “That box is called a camera and the drawing is a picture, half-breed.”

“Whatever, smart ass.” Inuyasha sighed, rolling his eyes. “Listen, I need to babble about Kagome to keep my demon in check. Just put up with it, okay? She's the only one that can stop this miasma, and I just need to buy her time.”

The Demon Lord nodded, his hand absently stroking Rin's hair. “Do what you must, little brother.”

“Anyways, I dragged her back and we ended up in a hairball nest, Yura pretty much invincible. No matter how many hits I landed, she didn't seem bothered. I gave Kagome my firerat---a wise decision since the bitch tried to burn her.”

Kagome grimaced in pain, the Hound of Naraku's poison darkening her mark. The tendrils writhed around it, thickening it into an elaborate web. She thrashed on the sleeping pallet, her head tossing from side to side. She whispered through clenched teeth, “Inuyasha---,”

Inuyasha gasped, squeezing his eyes shut. He sunk his fangs into his lip, the tangy taste of blood flooding his mouth. The barrier between them began to solidify, cutting him off from Kagome. Her aura---so potent and soothing---had utterly disappeared. The half-demon fought back despondency. He sat still, calming himself. Slowly, his claws retracted. The red tint faded from his vision.

In clipped words, he said, “I'm fine.”

Inuyasha opened his eyes, blinking as the low lantern light pierced them. A weary Shippo led a sullen Rin towards the tent exit, his eyes briefly meeting the half-demon's. Concern flickered in their depths. It was for the best. Having the whelp and pup removed from the equation eased Inuyasha's mind considerably.

He let his gaze rove, landing on Garion and Ce'Nedra. The Rivan King's plain face appeared haggard, aging the young man by many years. He grasped his mate's hand, their fingers interlaced. Several times, he kissed her knuckles, whispering reassurances. The same miasma afflicted Ce'Nedra, twisting her face into a mask of agony. Her coppery hair fanned around her head, the color of blood.

Softly, Ce'Nedra whispered, “My baby. They stole my baby.”

Next to the couple, Polgara rifled through her vast medical resources. One pile of jars sat to the side, rejected. She held up another, eying it critically. A troubled frown crossed her face as she dismissed it.

“You were saying, little brother?”

“One for Sesshomaru's side. I was just about to poke you myself. Keep focused.”

“Oh, yes,” Inuyasha replied absently. “Where was I?”

Despite the Purpose's impatience, seeing Ce'Nedra's struggle gave him more reason to resist. They had to save her just as much as they had to save Kagome.

Inuyasha's gaze met his brother's briefly. His impassive expression masked nothing. Worry flickered in Sesshomaru's eyes. A tight frown settled over his lips. Inuyasha caught these minute glimmers of concern only because he had studied the Demon Lord's face for years, trying to see beyond the aloof facade.

“Kagome managed to escape death due to my robe. She spotted where Yura had hidden her true self all along. She could have kept quiet or tried to escape. Instead, she found the comb holding the bitch's spirit. It's when I knew that I'd been wrong about her. She was useless mostly---but she was determined to try. Kagome doesn't quit. It's when I realized that she's a fighter.”

“This Sesshomaru came to the same conclusion after she survived his poisoning attack,” the Demon Lord said. A small, fond smile crossed his lips as he looked at Kagome.

Inuyasha blinked. He chuckled softly, shaking his head. “I suppose that's true. You did try to kill her for removing Tetsusaiga. By the way, still a dick move.”

“Duly noted.” Amusement flickered in Sesshomaru's eyes. “This Sesshomaru rarely fails to kill someone---but I am pleased that I didn't succeed in killing Kagome. Or you, little brother.”

“Yeah, whatever you say, puppy dog.”

Silence settled over them as the half-demon mulled over his other memories of Kagome. So many watershed moments spoke to the love he had for her. Some captured that joy---others were bittersweet. So many memories floated by---all significant. It made it difficult to choose.

He searched Kagome's face, tracing every contour. The lanterns cast shadows over it, emphasizing the miasma's torturous web curling around her neck. The anguished expression on her face cut sharp edges, adding a harsh angularity so foreign on Kagome. With each hiss of pain, a little more of her vivacity faded. It left a smaller and fragile woman behind---a reminder of her transient existence no matter what Myoga had stated about their mating. Kagome spasmed on the mat, her legs kicking out in an attempt to outrun her nightmares.

Inuyasha's demon grew impatient as the minutes ticked by---and his aura eddied around him desperately trying to merge with her pure one. A low growl escaped his throat, and he clutched Tetsusaiga tightly, pushing the fresh rage aside.

“Chose one. Any memory. It doesn't matter which one,” the Purpose said, exasperated.

“Fine. You know, dickhead, you're not helping my temper when you get all smart like that. Just. Back. Off.

To soothe his frayed nerves, Inuyasha tucked the blankets around Kagome.

“You know, in my 200 some years, only one person had ever known my human night---my mother,” Inuyasha said softly. A small smile upturned his lips. “It wasn't until Kagome that I even thought about sharing that secret. I couldn't if I wanted to stay alive. A girl begged us to help her master. I objected as I needed a hiding place for the night. I didn't say that---I just flat out refused. Kagome overruled me---and I couldn't let her go off on her own. My greatest secret, and I let her know it. In retrospect, if I didn't want her to know, she wouldn't. No one would.”

The intricate web faded as it receded. Kagome's ashen face relaxed, and she whispered, “Inuyasha, you're here.”

“I'm here, Kagome.” His rage ebbed as his protective instincts surfaced. Inuyasha rubbed his thumb across his mark, the blackness wiping away. Its vibrant purple emerged---and hope ignited as a whisper of her aura ghosted across his. “Kagome found out my secret because early on she taught me that my vulnerabilities could be my strength---and that I didn't have to face them alone. I hate the weakness my human night brings me---and yet it allowed me to be utterly honest with her for the first time.”

“That does not surprise this Sesshomaru.”

“It was also the first time that I've ever truly felt free.”

“My baby. We need to find Geran! They've taken him! Do something, Garion! He's gone,” Ce'Nedra babbled, her voice rising both in volume and octaves. She tossed frantically on the sleeping pallet, her face a deathly white. She tried to sit up, her arms trembling from the effort. Her eyes stared blankly ahead, anguish darkening their emerald depths. The Rivan Queen keened, her wavy hair spilling around her in coppery disarray. “You let them take my baby!”

“Aunt Pol, she's not handling this antidote well. Are you sure we shouldn't just try Adara's Rose?” Garion asked, his eyes wide in panic. He held his mate down, preventing her from beating her tiny fists on his chest. “It'll work! Before she hurts herself.”

“Just hang on, Garion. We'll let this one run its course and try another one. I want to save Adara's Rose. I've only the one blossom and just a handful of seeds. It won't be enough for both Ce'Nedra and Kagome---and we need something to counter this for the future.” Polgara tucked an errant lock behind an ear, the gesture tense. Her frost lock caught the low lamplight, taking on an angry ruddy glow. A stern frown crossed her face. “She shouldn't react to it this way. That antidote usually calms as it drives out poisons. What else can we try?”

Polgara's frustration hung heavily in the air. It seethed, infecting Inuyasha. Ce'Nedra's agony over her child---a vicious nightmare designed to destroy her psyche---incensed the half-demon. The tiny woman teetered dangerously on the precipice of madness. Her plight foreshadowed Kagome's future. How much longer could Ce'Nedra hang on before it utterly consumed her? Her cries stabbed into Inuyasha's heart. His impotence perfectly mirrored Polgara's. Nothing could stop this. He saw that now.

Searing pain burned, radiating from his heart. It clenched for the span of a heartbeat. Inuyasha's eyes widened, and he gasped in agony. He clutched his fire rat in a tight fist as the exquisite venom rocketed through him. The threads holding him to Kagome---and ultimately to himself---frayed further. A scarlet flooded his vision, and he growled gutturally, staring into the dark abyss of his own madness.

It would be so easy. No more pain. No guilt. No fear. If he let go, he could punish everyone that had taken her away. He could assert his dominance. He could mould the world to his purpose. All would bow before him or they would die. His inner demon flared, its pure rage oh so seductive. It promised so much retribution. All he had to do was say yes.

“Inuyasha!” Sesshomaru shouted. He gripped the half-demon's shoulder, shaking him. “Inuyasha! Think of your mate!”

The half-demon snarled, his elongated fangs bared in warning. He trembled, halfway transformed, the allure of his inner demon's power ripe for the taking. He stared at his brother through a red haze. Disdain and disgust marred his elegant face. Somehow, the Demon Lord had done this. Sesshomaru would fall first under his claws---and Inuyasha would relish in his execution. He lunged forward, swiping at Sesshomaru.

The Demon Lord deftly dodged, blurring before his eyes. His arm locked around the half-demon's throat. He crushed Inuyasha against his chest with brute strength.

“Inuyasha! Snap out of it. Think of Kagome. Focus on your mate! You can't let this poison win.”

Inuyasha's nose wrinkled in confusion. “Mate? She doesn't want me anymore. I have no mate.”

“You're wrong, little brother.” Sesshomaru forcefully grabbed his chin, turning his head down. “Kagome calls for you. You must not give into this. Fight back. Remember her.”

Inuyasha blinked, looking down at Kagome. She thrashed on the mat, her face scrunched in absolute terror. The miasma carved even thicker black lines into her skin. The wisp of her aura flickered and snuffed out. His mating mark turned onyx, pulsing. She whimpered, “Inuyasha! Please. I'm so scared. Please don't leave me.”

“Do you hear her, little brother?”

“It's a lie!” Inuyasha's aura flared, instantly smothered by his brother's. The half-demon wrenched in the Demon Lord's powerful grip. He growled low in his throat. As fast as his rage came, it rushed out of him. Inuyasha whispered, “She doesn't want me. Not anymore.”

Sesshomaru's arm squeezed around Inuyasha's throat. “Snap out of it, little brother! Do you want to die? Do you want her to die?”

“No!” Inuyasha shouted, clawing frantically at Sesshomaru's arm. “Let. Me. Go.”

“Listen to him! If you don't stop this, both of you will die. Naraku will win. Don't give into it!” the Purpose shouted.

“You are a fool, Inuyasha.” Sesshomaru held his chin firmly in an iron grip. “She needs you. Look beyond the miasma poisoning her.”

“No.” Inuyasha twisted in his brother's grip, growling. He tried to elbow Sesshomaru in the gut. The half-demon's aura surged again, his blood rushing in his ears. “She could never want a demon like me---a worthless half-breed.”

The miasma doesn't just poison her, little brother---it also infects you. Naraku wants you to lose yourself in this new web. You must not let him win,” Sesshomaru said, pinning Inuyasha's arms down. He squeezed tighter, crushing Tetsusaiga against his chest. “You cannot let your inner demon control you, Inuyasha. You are stronger than it.”

“You don't know that!” Inuyasha squeezed his eyes shut. He bit his lip, his longer fangs piercing the tender flesh. A low whine tore from his throat. “You don't know! It's easy for you. You're a full demon. You never have to fight your inner demon the way I do.”

“You presume too much about this Sesshomaru,” the Demon Lord hissed in his ear. “You are not the only one who wrestles with an inner demon or contends with instincts. As powerful as yours is, this Sesshomaru faces one with double the strength. It is a learned skill like any other. One must learn when to keep it in check and when it is necessary to use it.”

“I---I can't do it.” Inuyasha sagged, exhausted. The more he resisted, the more his heart ached. “It's too late.”

“No. It isn't.” Sesshomaru breathed deeply, exhaling slowly. His warm breath tickled Inuyasha's ear, making it curl. “Breathe. The more you fight, the more you resist, the worse it will be. You fight your inner demon when you should embrace it.”

“What?” Inuyasha twisted in his brother's grip. “Are you fucking insane? I transform, both Kagome and I die, jackass.”

“Let this Sesshomaru finish, half-breed.” Sesshomaru sighed. “You must not transform. But you will if you continue on this path.”

“Tell me something that I don't know.” Inuyasha snorted.

“It has taken this Sesshomaru centuries to truly master his own demon. You must always be vigilant---aware that its ultimate darkness can consume you. It is what separates us from lower demons---mindless with blood-lust. We are better---superior. We can use its great strength while leashing our baser instincts.”

“Is---,” Inuyasha took a deep shuddering breath, Kagome's scent filtering into his nostrils. “Is that why you always act like you have a stick shoved up your ass?”

Sesshomaru snorted. He chuckled softly, the sound spreading warmth through Inuyasha. “This Sesshomaru prefers to call it having discipline.”

“If you say so, jackass.”

“This Sesshomaru does.” The Demon Lord's grip dug Tetsusaiga's hilt into Inuyasha's shoulder. “Your mistake, little brother, is focusing on the negative attributes of your inner demon. It lashes out in order to protect itself. By trying so hard to cage it, you only feed its darker tendencies towards rage.”

“How---how do I stop?” Inuyasha gasped, another swell of pain stabbing into his heart.

“Your demon is poisoned right now, Inuyasha.” Sesshomaru crushed his arm tightly about the half-demon's chest. “It believes Naraku's lies. You must look beyond them. Look at Kagome. See her---not just the miasma. Find your demon's drive to protect her. It loves her.”

Inuyasha stared down at Kagome, tracing her face with his eyes. The stress etched across it made it angular. His inner demon howled, certain that rejection reflected in this tortured expression. His battered human heart clutched desperately to a shred of hope---that this agony masked his mate's determination. Its flame flickered and grew---allowing him to step back from the edge of insanity and darkness.

Under the foul stench permeating her skin, Inuyasha drank in Kagome's pure scent. As he inhaled deeply, his inner demon exulted. Faintly, her aura ghosted across his, wrapping around him as it siphoned his strength into her. The miasma swirled angrily, trying to push the growing violet in his mark away. On the edges of his red-tinted vision, Inuyasha saw a soft rose---Kagome's aura growing due to his demon's generous gift.

“Good,” Sesshomaru praised. “You have an advantage, little brother. You think your demon is far stronger than your human heart. It attacks that because it knows the opposite is true.”

“How---how would you know?” Inuyasha's nose wrinkled in confusion. “You hate humans and try not to know too much about them. You're always saying how weak they are.”

“How many times has this Sesshomaru been proven wrong?” Sesshomaru snorted. “Belrin does it all the time. Your mate does it all the time. You, half-breed, prove me wrong all the time.”

Ce'Nedra screamed, the sound piercing. Pure rage and sorrow laced through it, shattering the newest equilibrium Inuyasha had built. The tiny Queen beat her fists weakly against Garion's chest. She shouted, her voice a snarl, “I hate you! You let them steal my baby! This is all your fault! I hate you, Garion. Geran's dead because of you!”

“Aunt Pol, we can't wait anymore!” Garion cried. “She's going to hurt herself. We have to use Adara's Rose!”

“Don't let Ce'Nedra and Garion's distress distract you, Inuyasha. You'll do them just as much a disservice as you will Kagome by getting caught up in their misery. Stay focused on what Sesshomaru's telling you. Remember, Kagome's the only one that can stop this and you have to stay strong for her,” the Purpose said, its tone sharp.

Inuyasha shivered, unable to look away from the scene despite the dire warning. In them, he saw their future. In them, he saw the end.

The dark haired sorceress scowled, patting Ce'Nedra's face with a cloth. Polgara glanced over her shoulder. “We'll need pots. And soil. Tell the Old Wolf that I need his assistance. Drag him here if you must.”

“But Ce'Nedra needs me!”

“I'll keep her still, dear. You just go and get the Old Wolf.”

Inuyasha's demon flared, his blood boiling. His heart squeezed, making him hiss in pain. His pinned arms flexed against the brute strength of Sesshomaru. The claws lengthened into deadly points. Inuyasha's fangs elongated, cutting into his tender flesh. Crimson flooded his vision, blinding him to everything else. The half-demon snarled, trying to buck free. He chafed as Tetsusaiga rubbed against his shoulder, the blade pulsing.

“I'll tear all of you apart!”

“No, little brother, you won't.” Sesshomaru's aura surged, smothering Inuyasha's. “Breathe. See beyond the miasma. Listen to your heart. Listen to it beat. Listen to your mate's.”

“Find that single memory---that moment your human and demon halves truly united in their love for Kagome. That is your key.”

“Now you tell me, asshat. Why didn't you just say so earlier? I'm beginning to think you enjoy the drama a bit too much. Garion's right. You live to irritate.”

Inuyasha gnashed his teeth together in fury. He couldn't fight Sesshomaru. The Demon Lord's physical strength and demonic aura overwhelmed him. The half-demon, his sanity all but vanquished, closed his eyes. He breathed deeply and dug deep inside, past the rage, self-doubt, and hate. It was there---still whole. The pure love his demon possessed for Kagome burned brightly. Her acceptance and his trust in her flared. Across his aura, her gentle one caressed him.

His heartbeat thundered in his ears---blood rushing through his limbs. Layers of scars and bleeding wounds marred its beauty---and yet it still exuded the sheer determination and hope that made him Inuyasha. To cut this away, to shun it, to reject it as his inner demon believed Kagome had done to it would be to destroy himself. To throw his humanity away would be to throw away the one portion of himself that he had freely given to Kagome. His inner demon had chosen her of its own accord. He could give his human heart away freely---and he had chosen her.

Inuyasha's heartbeat slowed. The rage ebbed. The fear scattered. The half-demon's aura swelled, this time from the center of his chest---from his heart. It clashed with Kagome's weak aura, its edges channeled into her. Her scent infiltrated his senses. It curled around him, quietly repairing the fresh damage done. Their united love---his human and demon halves---combined. His demon curled around his human heart, protectively---keeping it as a prized gift for Kagome.

“Excellent,” Sesshomaru whispered. “You, little brother, astound this Sesshomaru.”

Soft footsteps ghosted across Inuyasha's senses. He peered through half-lidded eyes as the old man entered, kneeling next to Ce'Nedra. Several small pots had been placed around her. Garion set more around Kagome as well. Belgarath picked up the jar holding the single blossom. He pulled the stopper, taking it out carefully.

“Garion, dump a few seeds into each pot,” Belgarath commanded. He gently wrapped some twigs around the flower's stem, pushing it into the soil. “How many blooms, Pol?”

“As many as you can, Father. I need vines of them.” Polgara knelt next to the Rivan Queen, her hands gently holding her down.

“Vines it is, then.”

The small, lopsided blossom bowed towards the black soil, its stem poked into a small mound. The bloom shuddered, opening wider as it perked up. At the stem's base, small green tendrils sprouted, crawling towards the edge of the pot in all directions. Tiny blooms emerged on the vines, swelling before popping open to reveal yellow pollen at their centers. The vines wrapped around one another, thickening into a small hedge. The lavender flowers dotted all of them, the blooms large and luscious.

The scent of summer and honey flooded Inuyasha's senses. The remnants of his doubt fell away as this imperfect flower calmed him. His demonic aura flared---exuding love and strength instead of anger and fear. The protection his inner demon built around his human heart solidified. Her aura, weak and fragile, caressed him gently.

In his mind, Inuyasha saw Kagome sitting on the well-frame, her head bowed. She looked up, a soft smile crossing her lips. Hope shone brightly in her eyes. The soft breeze billowed her hair around her face. Such trust and understanding filled her expression. He hesitated, unsure if he belonged next to her---especially as he remembered that this moment had nearly been their last. He remembered the timidness in her voice as she asked if she could stay. His demon had exulted at the query. It wanted nothing more than her to stay---and his human heart had soared, in agreement with it for once. The moment she had taken his hand and led him away from the well---and her time---had changed everything. Kagome had chosen him---demon, human, and hanyou---with that simple gesture. In that moment, Inuyasha's demon and human had made their truce---and united in their steadfast love for this strange girl from the future. He may not have known that then---but it shone brightly to him now. His two sides need never war again over this---or anything---because they had a single goal and purpose: to love her unconditionally as she had chosen to love him then.

“Congratulations, Inuyasha. Naraku can never manipulate your demon this way ever again. Done and Done!”

Adara's Rose curled through the tent, climbing the walls, blanketing the floor, and sheltering both Kagome and Ce'Nedra. The pale lavender flowers encircled his mate's head like a crown. All the anxiety, pain, and poison started to recede from her face. The miasma faded, his mark taking on an amethyst glow.

“You said that Kagome was magic,” Sesshomaru whispered into an ear. “You were right. This Sesshomaru owes much to your little miko. She has taught me what our Father tried to teach me centuries ago.”

“What---lesson?” Inuyasha asked, his voice rough.

“That the only thing that ever truly matters is one's pack,” Sesshomaru replied. “That my own brother could be pack.”

“And they say I'm the dense one in the family.”

“Not dense, little brother,” Sesshomaru said, an amused lilt to his voice. “Stubborn.”

Inuyasha laughed softly. “Kagome would say something like pig-headed or if she wanted to really piss me off---dogged.”

“That does not surprise this Sesshomaru.” His arm loosened and the Demon Lord clasped his shoulder. “She does have a way with words---and yet I have never found anyone more---dogged---than my little sister.”

“Tell me about it. I had the same exact thought. You just better never let her hear you say that.” Inuyasha sighed, relieved. “And hey, thanks for keeping the promise---and you know, not killing me.”

Sesshomaru snorted. “This Sesshomaru didn't do it for you, half-breed.”

“Whatever, puppy dog.”

On the mat, Kagome whimpered. She turned her head towards them, her expression softening. A peaceful smile graced her lips.

“Inuyasha, I trust you with my life.”

Kagome's eyes flew open, a burnished gold.

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here: https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.