InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love is a Fickle Thing ❯ Introductions ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Love is a Fickle Thing
This is one of the funnier chapters.
Chapter 6
Introductions
“I'm home!” Kagome called, walking inside her house Kouga followed, and Inuyasha was hot on his heels.
“Oh, you're back Kagome.” Mrs. Higurashi said. She poked her head out of the kitchen and saw Kouga. “Who's this?” she asked. Kagome looked down and shuffled her feet.
“Um…mom? This is Kouga. He's from the Sengoku Jidai.” She said, looking up. Mrs. Higurashi smiled.
“Well any friend of Kagome is welcome in my house. I was just fixing Sota an after school snack, you can have some too if you want.” She gestured to the table, and the three sat down.
“So who is she Kagome?” Kouga asked.
“She's my mother. My whole family lives here.” Kagome explained. Kouga smiled.
“Your family must have been lucky to find a cave this big and spacious.” He called to Mrs. Higurashi. She blinked.
“Um…thank you Kouga.” She said, not sure what to think. Inuyasha whacked Kouga in the head.
“You stupid wolf, this ain't a cave.” He muttered.
“He's right Kouga. We have different ways of making homes here.” Kagome said.
“So there's your mother, and this Sota person. Who else lives here?” Kouga asked. Inuyasha growled.
“No except…”
“Alright youkai, I'm ready for you this time, you're not going to AH!” Grandpa Higurashi screamed, walking in and seeing Kouga. He glared at Inuyasha.
“Getting help for invading the shrine, eh youkai?” he said. “Well it will be a cold day in hell the day I let this shrine fall to you! Take this!” he slapped an ofuda on Kouga's head. The wolf crossed his eyes to look at the charm plastered over his nose and forehead.
“Um…is this supposed to hurt?” he asked sheepishly. Kagome put a hand over her mouth and giggled, while Inuyasha opted for his traditional smirk. Grandpa Higurashi fumed and stomped out the door.
“I'll get you youkai!” he called over his shoulder. “Next time you come, you'll be lucky if you even live through my new wards!” Kouga peeled the ofuda off his head and looked at Kagome.
“He seems moronic.” He answered. Inuyasha hit him again.
“That's her grandfather!” he hissed.
“He seems charming.” Kouga corrected. Kagome smiled.
“He keeps coming up with new wards for Inuyasha, claiming he's going to `banish the youkai to hell',” she giggled. Kouga cocked an eyebrow.
“Dog shit isn't even full youkai, how can he not tell that?” he scoffed. Inuyasha snorted.
“You said it yourself; he's moronic.” He said.
“Mom, I'm home.” Sota called. “Inuyasha!” he dropped his backpack and ran into the hanyou's arms. Inuyasha grunted.
“Hey squirt.” He muttered. Sota looked at Kouga.
“Who's this?” he asked.
“I'm Kouga.” The wolf replied. Sota scratched his head.
“Kouga. Kouga…” he murmured, thinking. Then a look of realization came over his face. “Ooooohhhh, you're the thick headed wolf that keeps hitting on my sister!” he cried. Kagome ran over and clamped a hand over Sota's mouth. She smiled nervously.
“Kids these days are so naïve, they don't know what they're saying!” she laughed. Sota flailed his hands around, trying to get Kagome to let go of him. Kouga hid his smirk. He heard the kid fine, though he wondered why Kagome told her family he hit her. She finally let go, and Sota saw Kouga's tail.
“Wow, cool!” he yelled, grabbing it. Kouga yelped and spun around.
“That's attached you know!” he growled, nursing the tail.
“So Kagome, how long were you planning on staying?” Mrs. Higurashi asked. Kagome shrugged.
“At least until tomorrow. I've got that math test to take.” She turned to Inuyasha and Kouga. “Now, I am going to go have a bath, and then I am going to eat dinner, and I am going to study. Now, can you two be in the same room for a few hours without trying to kill each other?” she asked.
“No.” they answered in unison. A hand reached behind Inuyasha, grabbed Tetsusaiga, and slapped the two upside the head with the hilt. Inuyasha and Kouga winced and turned to see Mrs. Higurashi.
“I think what Kagome means to say boys.” She said sweetly. “Is that you will spend the night here peacefully, you will not fight in my house, because if you do, neither of you will be welcome in my house ever again. Is that clear?” she said. Inuyasha and Kouga hung their heads.
“Yes ma'am.” they said. Mrs. Higurashi handed Inuyasha Tetsusaiga.
“Good. Now sit down, and I'll bring you both in some ramen.” Mrs. Higurashi said. Inuyasha's eyes lit up, and he obediently sat down. Kouga snorted.
“Nice to see my woman's mother already has you trained.” He muttered. Inuyasha growled.
“She's not your woman!” he snarled. He looked at the kitchen door. “Mrs. Higurashi, you said no fighting in the house, right?”
“No fighting period!” came the response. Kagome smiled and ran up the stairs. Sota sat down beside Kouga.
“So when you say Kagome's your woman, that means…”
“She's going to be my mate.” Kouga said proudly. Inuyasha started growling again. “There was one time when I got her away from the half breed.” Kouga told Sota, his eyes twinkling. “And she confessed her undying love for me, but she doesn't want to hurt the mutt's feelings, so she pretends to like him.” Inuyasha's eyebrow twitched, and his claws dug up the floor.
“If it weren't for Kagome and her mother,” he said slowly. “Tetsusaiga would be halfway up your ass by now.” Kouga smirked.
“Why so violent Inuyasha?” he said, grinning. “I haven't raised a fist to you. I am just doing as I'm told, calmly sitting here, restraining the urge to slice open your filthy hanyou gut.” Sota gulped.
“I don't think I should be hearing this.” He said, backing out of the room. Mrs. Higurashi came in with three cups of ramen. Inuyasha started to drool as she set them on the table. He reached for a cup, and Mrs. Higurashi caught his hand.
“Now Inuyasha, remember that last time you ate ramen here?' she asked. Inuyasha gave a guilty nod. “If it happens again, you're cleaning it up. The same goes for you,” She said, looking at Kouga. The wolf took the open cup of ramen and sniffed it.
“Is this what Kagome eats?” he asked suspiciously. Inuyasha smirked and ripped off the cover of his own cup.
“Well if the idea of ninja food is too much for you, I'll be happy to explain it, ya mangy wolf,” He muttered that last part under his breath, before raising the cup to his lips and gulping. Determined not to be upstaged by Inuyasha, Kouga eagerly followed suit. His eyes shot open at the taste, and he ate with renewed fervor.
“I like this place,” he exclaimed, wiping his mouth. Inuyasha lowered his cup and nodded.
“I know.” He said. The two reached for the last cup, and glared at each other as their hands closed around it.
“That one's mine.” Inuyasha said.
“Why?” Kouga asked
“I like it more.” The hanyou replied.
“I doubt that. Besides, I've had if a lot less often, so it's only fair I get it.”
“Over my dead body.”
“Don't tempt me.” The two gripped the cup and pulled. The cup burst open, and noodles went flying through the room, most of it landing in one shocked wolf youkai, and an equally shocked inu-hanyou. They heard a sigh, and looked up to see Mrs. Higurashi in the kitchen doorway, pinching the bridge of her nose.
“Who did this?” she demanded. Inuyasha and Kouga pointed at each other.