InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Half is Whole ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Inuyasha hopped out of the well with Kagome in his arms he set her down at the top of the stairs and they walked out hand in hand.


Mae smiled as she watched them from the kitchen window she knew already what they were going to tell her and she was beyond excited to have grandchildren with little fuzzy ears! She pulled off her gloves and almost ran to the door to greet them.


She pulled open the door and beamed at them Inuyasha blushed but didn't let go of Kagome's hand, and Kagome just smiled brightly "Hi mama," she greeted.


"Oh this is just wonderful dear! When do I get my fuzzy eared grandchildren!?" Mae gushed excitedly.


Kagome's eyes popped open and she sputtered, Inuyasha choked "Mama!" Kagome yelped face fully flushed. "We just got together! We're too young to think about having babies!" She yelled wildly.


Mae laughed and ushered them into the house "So," she started excitedly "when are we having the wedding?"


Inuyasha looked at Kagome and she looked back, Mae being sharper than most people gave her credit for did not miss this, her smile faltered a little "You are getting married aren't you?" She asked.


Kagome looked at Inuyasha and he nodded trying to give her courage "Mama demons don't exactly get married," she started to explain Mae's eyebrows shot up "demons mate, it binds their souls together, forever."


Mae thought for a minute "But your human Kagome, can you even do that?" she asked.


Kagome was at a bit of a loss she turned towards Inuyasha for help, finding a little courage he spoke up "Demons can mate with humans, when the souls bond it um strengthens a human’s soul so that it gains the lifespans and some healing abilities to match." He tried to explain as plainly as he could.


Mae pursed her lips trying to understand "So by binding your soul and Kagome's she'll take on your lifespan?" She asked. Inuyasha nodded "I hadn't been aware that your lifespan was any different, how long is it?"


"My brother is 243 and he's still fairly young, " he said. Mae's eyes shot open wide and she gasped.


"How old are you?" She asked in a rush, Inuyasha's ears drooped slightly "153 if you don't count the 50 years I was pinned to Goshinboku," he said quietly.


Mae stared for a minute unable to really process what she'd just heard, she looked at Kagome who didn't look at all surprised. She tried to get her voice back "How old, how long uh..." she couldn't really form the words.


Inuyasha guessed at her meaning "Well full demons are technically immortal, but since I’m half I age one day a month." He tried to explain it simply though it was a bit more complicated than that.


"So you and Kagome...?" Mae trailed off again and Inuyasha nodded. She looked at them for a minute, Inuyasha's jaw was tight Kagome was nervously wringing her hands in her lap. Mae felt a tear roll down her cheek, she saw Inuyasha's eyes widen nervously so she smiled to sooth him. "Well I guess that means that this... is... goodbye?" She tried not to sob as she said it.


Kagome jumped up and hugged her mother "Not forever mama! You heard him, we'll live long enough to see you again," she tried to console her mother but she just cried harder. Inuyasha looked completely helpless, he had no idea what to do for a crying woman.


"I'm gonna stay here for a few days mama, Inuyasha has some things to take care of before we leave and I wanna spend time with you," Kagome said still holding her mother tightly.


Mae tried to get a hold of herself, she had known all along that Kagome would choose Sengoku Jidai with Inuyasha but now that it was here she wasn't as prepared as she thought she was to let her daughter go.


"Inuyasha" Kagome called softly "Why don't you go so you and Miroku can get back quickly, Sango wants the wedding to happen as soon as possible and I won't protect you from her if you guys are delayed."


Inuyasha jumped at the chance to get away from the weeping women. Crying women were something he definitely didn't know how to handle. He took a step but Kagome grabbed his sleeve "Come back soon ok?" She stepped away from her mother and placed a chaste kiss on his lips. He blushed brightly at being kissed in front of her mother and nodded.


"Stay on this side of the well until I come to get you," he said firmly, she nodded and he turned and bounded out the door.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Miroku stood outside of Kaede's hut waiting, the sun was already higher than he wanted it to be before they left and he frowned. He sighed heavily and was about to turn around when Inuyasha landed in front of him. "Ah there you are my friend, " he said smiling.


"Keh, come on bouzu let's get going," Inuyasha said roughly.


Miroku smirked lecherously "You seem to be in a hurry today Inuyasha, wanting more alone time with Kagome-sama already?"


Inuyasha thumped him hard on the head and muttered something to the effect of leacher. Miroku feigned hurt "You are all going to kill me one of these days, " he said rubbing his head.


Inuyasha smirked and started off in the direction of the temple.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It only took a few hours running full tilt to reach the temple but by the time they did Miroku was breathing quite heavily. Though he was fairly proud of his ability to run as fast and as far as they did, it was still fairly difficult to keep up with Inuyasha who had barely broke out in a sweat. Miroku took a few minutes to catch his breath.


Mushin wandered out of the temple and grimaced, he knew this day would come and while it was a happy day it was gonna be tough too. He looked at his empty wine bottle, he was going to need at least one more to get through the next hour.


Unstoppering a new bottle he took a swig, it burned pleasantly in his throat and gave him the courage to step outside and face Miroku.


Miroku looked up as Mushin walked over to them on semi unsteady feet. He sighed was that man ever not drunk? "Hello Sensei," he greeted.


"We need to talk" Mushin said abruptly surprising the two men who looked at each other, Miroku shrugged and followed Mushin, Inuyasha close behind.


Mushin sat heavily on a mat in the temple, Miroku looked at him in confusion "What is this about Mushin?" He asked.


"It's about your father and your grandfather, now that the curse has been lifted there are things you need to know," Mushin said taking another long drink from his wine bottle.


"My father and grandfather?" Miroku asked confused.


"Your grandfather and your father were demons" Mushin said bluntly.