Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sailor Goddess ❯ The Great Freeze ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Ranma One Half/Sailor Moon/Ah! My Goddess crossover Fan Fiction
By Michael A. Ivins
 
Ranma, and all of his/her friends and family are the creation of Rumiko Takahashi. I do not own any of them, nor do I own any of the characters from Ah! My Goddess or Sailor Moon. I'm writing this for fun, not profit. I'm so poor that suing me wouldn't do you much good.
 
WARNING: This is a sequel to a previous fic I wrote called, “Nodoka's Lessons.” That was a Lemon fic. While there won't be as much emphasis on sex (it will be more implied than described) in this sequel, it will deal with subjects like incest. If these subjects offend you, stop reading.
 
Chapter 16
The Great Freeze
 
More time had passed. Ranma was seven months pregnant with her belly getting bigger. She found that she truly wasn't experiencing the discomforts of pregnancy that she had heard about from mortal women. She was grateful for this.
 
She had just finished making love with Setsuna at the Gates of Time. She was basking in the afterglow when her cell phone rang from her pile of clothing.
 
Setsuna looked shocked. “We're in a subspace pocket outside normal time and space, how can that thing work here?”
 
Ranma rushed to pick up her phone. She explained, “It's a divine phone. It works everywhere.”
 
She pressed a button and held the phone to her ear. “Hello. Akane?”
 
She listened for just a moment before saying, “I'll be right there.” The clothing she had taken off disappeared and new clothing appeared on her body. At the same time all trace of any sweat or odors from the sex she had been having also disappeared.
 
She told Sailor Pluto, “I've got to go.”
 
Pluto wasn't used to her student just bailing on her like this. “What about today's training on the Gate?”
 
The Goddess told her, “My mom just went into labor. I've got to go to her. I have to give moral support if nothing else. We've got a midwife to help if there are any problems.”
 
The green haired woman asked, “Your mother? Do you mean the woman who carries your daughter in her womb?”
 
Ranma nodded. “That's the one. She won't be carrying the baby inside much longer.” She vanished from the vicinity of the Gates as she teleported out.
 
She reappeared in her living room and went from there to the bedroom. She almost collided with Hathor, who had arrived seconds before. “Sorry Hathor-san. I was away getting training at the Gates of Time.”
 
The smaller goddess said, “Not a problem.”
 
Shortly they were in the bedroom. Nodoka was lying on the bed with her head slightly elevated as her upper torso rested on a pile of pillows. She looked over at the door and sighed. “There's no need to go into a panic. My water broke and I had a contraction. Nothing urgent yet.”
 
The Egyptian goddess came up and placed her hands on both sides of Nodoka's face. “I'll be the judge of that.”
 
The goddess looked searchingly into the eyes of the mortal woman. She seemed to find something because she nodded in apparent satisfaction.
 
Hathor said, “The healing treatments I gave you were effective. You are in good shape and your daughter is ready to be born.”
 
Nodoka let out a sigh. “That's a relief to hear. While I am delighted to finally be giving birth to a daughter, so much time has passed since Ranma's birth that I had forgotten all of the discomforts that went with being pregnant. I think that I will be content with this child being the last I will give birth to myself. For more babies to love, I'll content myself with the grandchildren that Ranma and Akane give me.”
 
Hathor nodded. “While you are still young enough to safely birth more babies, it might be for the best to have no more if that's how you feel. I can understand how taking care of four babies after Ranma and Akane give birth might be somewhat demanding of your time and resources.”
 
The auburn haired mother nodded in acknowledgement. “I suspect that is an understatement. In our extended family we are experiencing something of a population explosion. My ex-husband gave birth to a son not long ago. Akane's sister Kasumi gave birth to her daughter just a week ago. Now that Genma has embraced her femininity and chosen to be a woman permanently, I find I'm actually making friends with her. I imagine that she will be sharing babysitting services with the rest of the family from time to time.”
 
Curious, the goddess asked, “How is she handling motherhood?”
 
Nodoka laughed. “We had feared that she might try to treat Akira the way she did Ranma, but it's nothing like that. I suppose giving birth to the boy out of her own womb makes the difference. Rather than being overly strict with him, it looks like there is a real danger that she will spoil Akira. We're almost afraid to say anything for fear she will overcompensate. Soun is so proud of having a son that he's almost as bad. Ranma checks on them almost every day.”
 
Hathor nodded. “Given Genma's history, I wouldn't have expected her to choose to become permanently female.”
 
The mortal woman nodded in agreement. “I think Soun was the only one who wasn't surprised. As much as that surprised me, it seemed even more of a shock to see how deeply in love Soun is with her. It would be fair to say that I didn't think Genma had it in her to inspire that kind of feeling. I think Soun may be as much or more in love with Genma than he was with Kimiko, his first wife.”
 
The divine midwife pointed out, “Well, they did know each other longer.”
 
Before she could frame a reply, Nodoka gasped. “That was a contraction.”
 
The midwife lightly rested her fingertips on Nodoka's forehead. After a moment she said, You are progressing normally. I would judge that you should be dilated enough to start pushing in another 20 minutes to a half an hour. While I could rush that along, doing so could endanger your health or Reiko's. I would prefer not to without any compelling reason.”
 
Nodoka looked at Ranma and Akane and said, “I don't think there is any need to rush this. Reiko will come when she is ready.”
 
The elder Saotome was momentarily lost in contemplation. It was finally happening. She was within minutes of giving birth to a daughter. Having Ranma turn into a girl was wonderful, but it wasn't the same as giving birth to a girl. She was looking eagerly forward to holding baby Reiko in her arms. She wanted to watch Reiko grow up, to teach her everything she needed to know about being a girl.
 
One thing was sure - nobody was taking her daughter away from her. She wanted to be there for every stage of Reiko's life. She wanted to watch as she took her first steps, as she started school, got her first schoolgirl crush, went through puberty. In short, Nodoka wanted to be there to see all of things in her daughter's life that she had missed in her son's life.
 
She was jarred out of this introspection by another contraction. It was a discomfort, but the hand of the divine midwife on her forehead prevented it from being painful. With the healing energy being applied to her, it was likely that giving birth to her daughter would be a much more pleasant experience that birthing Ranma had been.
 
Ranma stepped forward to take her mother's hand. She gazed lovingly into Nodoka's eyes. “Thinking about raising Reiko?”
 
Nodoka raised an eyebrow. Ranko reassured her, “I'm not reading your mind. At least no more than any husband does with his wife.”
 
The auburn haired woman returned the look. “Yes my love, I am your wife. I wish there was a way I could publicly proclaim it.” She paused before laughing and continuing, “I suppose it is just as well. I don't know how I would explain that my current husband is a woman at this moment, a woman just two months away from giving birth herself.”
 
The redhead joined in the laugh. She reminded, “Don't forget explaining that your husband is a goddess.”
 
Neither mentioned but they understood the more difficult chore they would have in explaining that the father of the child was Nodoka's son. In effect Ranma was not only the Reiko's father, she was also her brother (or was that sister?)
 
The sex goddess apologized, “With me giving birth soon, I hope you don't mind but I'm likely to be a bit more motherly than fatherly for a while. I'll try to be a dad, but you know I don't have any experience. You know I've sort of had a lack of good role models on how to be a father.”
 
Nodoka shook her head ruefully. “I know. It seems so strange that Genma is a much better mother than she ever was a father.”
 
Akane came up to the bed and took Nodoka's other hand. She said, “Don't forget me.”
 
The auburn haired woman widened her smile. “How could I forget my sister-wife? I have come to think of you as more of a sister than a daughter-in-law. A sister who is also a lover, one who started the relationship awkward and unsure of herself, but now skilled in the ways of loving. Never doubt my love for you.”
 
Any further conversation was cut off by another contraction. Thanks to the attentions of Hathor, there was only the slightest twinge of pain.
 
They continued to chat while the divine midwife monitored Nodoka's progress. The Egyptian goddess didn't appear to be doing anything, just standing at the bedside with her fingers lightly touching Nodoka's forehead. In reality Hathor was monitoring the mortal woman more closely than a whole room full of high-tech medical equipment.
 
Thus is was almost a shock when Hathor announced, “You are dilated enough. Push.” With the goddess of childbirth there to bolster her strength and energy Reiko was born with a minimum of fuss. The divine midwife slapped the baby on the butt and with a cry she greeted the world.
 
After cutting and tying the umbilical, Hathor cleaned the baby with a damp cloth then handed her to Ranma. The sex goddess gently kissed the little girl in her hands and watched as the baby suddenly stopped crying with an expression of surprise on her face. Reiko looked around her expression now one of confusion. Her eyes fixed on the bright color of her goddess father's hair and the corners of her mouth turned up.
 
Ranma laughed as she handed the tiny bundle to Nodoka. “She likes the red hair. Maybe you should start letting your hair go back to its natural color, since she likes it so much.”
 
The new mother brought the baby up to her face and kissed her child. Even as she did so the baby reached out and grabbed a handful of auburn hair. Nodoka laughed and said, “Maybe she likes auburn hair just as much.”
 
She looked the child in her eyes and said to her, “Hello Reiko, I'm your mother and the person with the hair you like so much is your father. Don't let the fact that she's a girl right now confuse you.”
 
The baby was now looking at her mother with wide eyes. Nodoka continued, “This lady with the black hair is your Auntie Akane. She'll be babysitting you a lot. She's not fat, she's going to be a mommy soon too, just like your daddy. We'll explain all that when you're a little older.”
 
Ranma was gazing at her mother with a look of absolute adoration in her eyes. Akane thought it was a little like the look Soun had given Genma after the birth of Akira. The goddess spoke in reverent tones, “Nodoka, my wife, the mother of my child. I love you more than I can say.”
 
Nodoka returned the look and replied, “Ranma, my husband. I thank you for being the father of this child. She is the miracle that I never believed would happen. You made it possible.”
 
Akane felt torn. On the one hand she felt like she was intruding on a private moment between a husband and wife. On the other hand, she was just as much a wife to Ranma as Nodoka was. She wasn't going to bring up the legal arguments in the face of the emotions being displayed. Regardless of what the law might say, the two people were married by bonds of love and devotion.
 
Hathor straightened up and said, “Well, you don't need me anymore.” She handed a small statue of herself to Akane. “This is for you. It is a talisman that can summon me. To move it around without calling me, pick it up by the base. To call me, grab the figure on the top and say, `Hathor we need you.' Ranma won't need my help, but you are to call me when you go into labor.”
 
Akane nodded and set the figurine on the nightstand. The divine midwife looked around at the touching scene and smiled broadly. She teleported out to her home in the Celestial Realms
 
* * *
 
More time passed. At the Gates of Time Ranma teleported in. She was now 8 months pregnant and getting big. She had finished a marathon love-making session at the Senshi of Time's home and left her behind, secure in the knowledge that she would sleep for a good long time. The older woman had passed out after screaming through more than two dozen orgasms.
 
Converting Proteus Blade into its Time Key form, Ranma addressed the Gate's AI. “Hello, Chronus.”
 
“Greetings to you Sailor Terra. How is your health today? Were you here for additional training on my systems?”
 
The goddess who was now in her Senshi garb shook her head. “My health is good. I'm not here for lessons today. I came to find out about some things that Setsuna seems reluctant to talk about. I left her sleeping and came here in hopes that you can tell me. If Setsuna left you with any overrides or other commands that would prevent you from talking about it then I will have to confront her directly.”
 
Ranma sighed. “I was sort of hoping to put off any argument about this until after my babies were born.”
 
The telepathic computer “voice” reminded Ranma a little bit of Queen Serenity of the Moon Kingdom. In her mind she had formed an image of beautiful middle aged woman with long blonde hair and a few steaks of gray. The computer asked, “What would you like to know about?”
 
The goddess' expression turned grim. “I want to know everything you have on Crystal Tokyo and the Big Freeze.”
 
The computer replied, “I have quite a lot of information. It appears that Senshi Pluto never anticipated anyone other than herself having access to me, so she didn't encrypt the data or put any other security measures in place to prevent access.”
 
Sailor Terra considered that. “When you say `a lot of information,' how long would it take to present all of it?”
 
“It would take approximately 20 hours to present all of it. If you needed to stop the presentation at any point for clarification it would take longer.”
 
“Summarize,” commanded the goddess.
 
The computer responded, “The short summary is that in scans of possible futures on the majority of timelines we show that in a little over ten years from today a new Ice Age will begin. The onset will be gradual. The first detectable symptoms will be progressively harsher winters with all other seasons cooler as well. Glaciers on mountains will advance and the rate of that advance will get faster as each year completes. The size of the polar ice caps will increase, slowly at first, but faster the farther into the Great Freeze earth gets.”
 
“Within 20 years from the start there will only be a relatively narrow strip of land near the equator that will be free of ice. At current population levels it is estimated that ninety percent of the Earth's population will perish. Most of the survivors will either be located in that equatorial region or they will be living in shelters in more northerly locations.”
 
“Most of the nations of the world don't start to become alarmed until five years into the Great Freeze. When they do they begin building shelters at a frantic pace. The effort is too little, too late.”
 
“In Japan Sailor Mercury, working with foreknowledge supplied by Sailor Pluto takes a crystal salvaged from the ruins of the Moon Palace. She modifies it to grow into a huge crystal city that cannot be damaged by the ice. It is named Crystal Tokyo.”
 
“When people in other countries see this, huge crowds make their way to the new city. The Senshi, who are acting as police and military at this point, limit access to the city. There is only so much room and they cannot accommodate all the people who want to live there. Because of that limitation there will be riots at the gates of Crystal Tokyo and the death toll will be high.”
 
“Lady Usagi takes the name, Neo-Queen Serenity and rules with Mamoru Chiba as her husband. She will reign for centuries.”
 
“The Great Freeze will last for one hundred fifty years. Thanks to the environment of Crystal Tokyo, technology is able to advance and many of the previous discoveries of the Silver Millennium are re-created. This allows the reestablishment of the atmospheric force fields on the moon. The Moon Palace is restored and Queen Serenity moves there to rule the Solar system from that point.”
 
“Stop,” commanded Ranma. She asked, “Run a simulation. To the scenario you just described to me, make this change: The governments of all world nations are notified of the coming problems right away and given sufficiently convincing proof that they actually believe it. How would that change things?”
 
There was silence for a time. Finally the computer “spoke” again. “Convincing the governments is more difficult than you might imagine. I show it taking a year to persuade them. Once that is accomplished a campaign of shelter building begins that will allow 30 percent of the world's population to be saved instead of 10 percent.”
 
Ranma nodded. “How long has Setsuna known the exact date this would start?”
 
“She knew for sure at the beginning of the Twentieth Century.”
 
The goddess bowed her head and rubbed her fingers across her forehead. She thought about it for a while then asked the question, “What would the result have been if world governments had been informed as soon as Setsuna knew. Is there a chance that the full population of the world could be saved from the Great Freeze?”
 
The computer replied quickly, “There are a number of ways that could be accomplished. One that would be effective in that time available would be to limit births in conjunction with building shelters. If every married couple was allowed to only have one child during the Twentieth Century that would have reduced the population enough that everyone could be accommodated by the shelters that could be built in that time.”
 
“To go into more radical possibilities would be somewhat speculative. If Silver Millennium technology could be brought to bear, then many possible ways could be used to prevent the Great Freeze. One example would be the construction of solar mirrors in orbit that would increase the amount of sunlight that reaches the surface of the earth. That would warm things enough that there would never be any period of glaciation.”
 
Ranma muttered about what a terrible fool Setsuna was. She asked, “What will cause the Great Freeze.”
 
A holographic image came into being in the air in front of the goddess. After a moment's study she recognized it as a star chart or solar system map. “What is this?”
 
The computer explained, “You are looking at a map of the space around the Solar System. The object that I wish to display wouldn't normally be visible, so I will highlight it.” On the image an irregular mass of light came into being. It appeared to be beyond the outermost edge of the cometary halo.
 
“What is this that you're showing me?”
 
The computer said, “This is a cloud of dark matter particles. This cloud is on a course through the Solar System. Within ten years it will begin to come between the earth and the sun, blocking off some of the light. It will block enough light that the earth will be cooled, causing the Great Freeze.” A dotted line ran from the cloud through the solar system. It seemed to go directly toward the sun. It was easy to see that at some point the cloud would completely surround the sun.
 
Looking at the image Ranma was suddenly seized by a terrible feeling of wrongness. There was something about this that just screamed at her. She couldn't identify the actual nature of the problem.
 
A thought occurred to her. “Chronus, what is the direction of movement of earth as it rotates with the rest of the galaxy?”
 
An arrow appeared in the image. The direction pointed by the arrow set off alarms in the redhead's mind. Ranma commented, “That cloud is moving opposite the direction of galactic rotation. Is that unusual?”
 
The computer replied, “This is the first celestial object I have observed to behave in this manner. That doesn't prove that it is unique. I cannot claim to have observed more than a small fraction of this galaxy. In other parts of the galaxy, objects like this may be common.”
 
Ranma shook her head. “I don't know. It's just a feeling, but there is something wrong with this that I can't put my finger on. Is there any way to disperse, disrupt or destroy this cloud?”
 
“I do not believe so,” Chronus said. “At least not with the technology we have available.”
 
“How about the Senshi's powers or my power as a goddess?”

“Dark matter is poorly understood. In fact I only classify this cloud as such because it exhibits properties that appear consistent with what has been defined as dark matter. Those properties don't exactly match but that could simply be because of a flaw in the theory.”
 
Ranma frowned. “Had the existence of dark matter been theorized during the Silver Millennium?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Not even Ranma was sure where she was going with her questions, but she felt she was approaching some kind of truth. “Did the scientists of that time ever get a sample or in any other way confirm the existence of dark matter?”
 
The computer answered, “Not that I'm aware of.”
 
Ranma was trying to reason it out. “If this is just a theory then this cloud could be dark matter or it could be something else that exhibits some of the properties of dark matter but not all of them.”
 
“That is true. Is there anything specific that leads you doubt that this cloud is composed of dark matter?”
 
Ranma shook her head. “Not specific, no. I just have a feeling.”
 
The computer responded, “Human intuition can at times be a potent tool. Could you more clearly describe this sense of `something wrong' that you feel?”
 
The goddess said, “Give me some time to think about this.” She sat and simply stared at the image for a time. Then she got up from the couch and walked around the hologram, studying it from all sides. Finally she said, “I have the feeling of something false, a lie. If I had to guess at what that means, I'd have to say that I don't think this cloud is natural.”
 
“You think it might be artificial? Do you get the feeling that this is an attack?”
 
Ranma shook her head. “Nothing so… direct. At the speed this cloud is moving it must have taken centuries maybe even thousands of years for it to get here from whoever launched it. Unless it was sent as an attack on Atlantis, Lemuria or the Moon Kingdom, then I don't think we were ever powerful enough to be a threat to anyone.”
 
“If this is not a natural phenomenon but it's not an attack, what could it be?”
 
The goddess was trying to sort through the impressions she was getting. She was not quite sure of what she was feeling. There was an odd familiarity as if it reminded her of something she had heard about. “Whoever sent this may not have known about the presence of life here on the earth. The cloud's course is a direct intercept course to the sun; maybe that is the target?”
 
“For what purpose?” The computer prodded.
 
She was connecting things in her mind. “I don't know. For some reason this reminds me of the stories the other Senshi told me the battles they had with youma in the past.”
 
The computer asked, “Could you be more specific?”
 
“What did the youma do when they first came to earth? I mean besides fighting the Senshi?”
 
Chronus said, “They came to gather energy for the Negaverse to use. They were stealing life energy from people for the purpose of freeing Metallia.”
 
Ranma pointed out, “The sun is a huge fusion furnace that radiates an enormous amount of heat, light and radiation. I have this feeling that the cloud may be coming to somehow steal some of that energy.”
 
“An interesting speculation.”
 
The goddess continued to study the image of the hologram. “I'm going to need to think about this. Maybe there is a way to prove one way or another if that cloud is artificial or not. If it is artificial maybe there is a way to stop or destroy it. After all if someone made it, maybe we can unmake it.”
 
“That would be a most desirable outcome.”
 
Ranma looked at her bulging belly and said, “Even if that cloud turns out to be an attack, if it were to come down to a fight, I'm in no shape for it right now.”
 
She sighed and said, “With it being ten years until the cloud gets close enough to be a problem, that gives me time to birth my babies and get back in fighting shape. I think it would be best to wait to confront Pluto about this.”
 
Ranma directed a thought at her version of the Time Key Staff. The thought contained a command code. She then commanded, “Chronus, you will not tell Sailor Pluto that you have told me about either Crystal Tokyo or the Great Freeze until I have a chance to confront her directly about these matters. I suspect that will be after I get her pregnant.”
 
The computer replied, “Agreed. I will keep today's discussion to myself. You know all you had to do was ask. You didn't need to use the override code.”
 
Ranma bowed her head at the slightly hurt tone the computer managed to convey. She had the distinct impression that the computer liked her, maybe more than she liked Setsuna. (Ranma couldn't really think of Chronus as an “it.”)
 
“I'm sorry,” the Senshi of Earth apologized. “I can't take the chance that Setsuna could override you to ask about it.”
 
The computer pointed out, “As a god/dess you outrank a Senshi. However, I understand your caution. Senshi Pluto has not used the Gates for anything other than observation and your training since she was placed on probation by the gods. Her past concentrated attention on the attainment of Crystal Tokyo would suggest that she might feel compelled to take action if she becomes aware that you know of these matters.”
 
Ranma sighed sadly. “Chronus, would you rate the level of my training sufficient to take over as the Guardian of the Gates of Time?”
 
There was sadness in the computer's tone, “Yes Sailor Terra, you could assume the duties right now if you deemed it necessary. You already know the operation of the Gates to an amazing degree. Indeed, you understand subtleties of the Gates' operations that it took Senshi Pluto decades to master. You know most of what you need to know about the hardware. If you were to build a new set of Time Gates you would to know more about programming the software for a new AI.”
 
The goddess nodded. “I know. I'm close to the goal of being able to build a new set of Time Gates from scratch if needed, but I'm not quite there yet. That's another one of the reasons why I want to postpone a confrontation on this issue. I worry that if Setsuna were faced with the prospect of once again losing her access to the Gates, she might overreact. In such a case she might take the approach of `if she can't use the Gates she'd make sure that no one else could.' I don't like the mental image of her unleashing several Dead Screams on you.”
 
The computer responded, “I too find that a disquieting image. Do you really think it might come to that?”
 
“I hope not,” said Ranma. “With the help of Uranus and Neptune we are working on her. I feel we are getting through to her. She is losing some of that coldness that all those millennia of solitude caused her to adopt. It is my hope that she learns to love well enough that she will see that it is wrong to try and accomplish her goals through a means that would cause the death of billions.”
 
“I will hope for that as well.”
 
The goddess smiled fondly. “I also hope that I can convince Setsuna to see you as more than just a computer. I've come to think of you as a friend.”
 
“Thank you, Ranma. That means a lot to me.”
 
The goddess bowed, then teleported back to Earth.
 
Author's Note: The Saotome family is growing. Ranma finally knows what Pluto hiding. However there is more going on than there appears. Stay tuned.